AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2009-02-03, 14:57   Link #1
Gear853
Knowledge Is Power.

Site Not working?

i'm not sure what's going on, but when i try to go on the site...it give me this instead?

is anyone else having this problem?
Gear853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 15:05   Link #2
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I don't. but the fact that Animesuki doesn't run on Apache makes me incredibly sad.

Or maybe it's just bad DNS resolution. What happens when you enter here?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 15:13   Link #3
Gear853
Knowledge Is Power.

that worked... weeeeird! what's going on?!
Old 2009-02-03, 15:41   Link #4
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

I cannot tell you where that IIS7 page comes from, but I can tell you it is not from any site connected with animesuki.com, or last least any site run by those of us who run animesuki.com, I suppose one of the ad servers might use it... .

I would be curious to know what you get if you run nslookup or dig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
...the fact that Animesuki doesn't run on Apache makes me incredibly sad.
If I may ask, why does it make you sad?
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 15:43   Link #5
Imperial Blaze
最終的な力を感じなさい
*Graphic Designer

Mine works just fine......
Imperial Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-03, 16:07   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

sometimes an intermediate DNS cache is "poisoned" or corrupt and to blame for this sort of thing.

fun with intarwebbing...

@Lord Zetsuei: that would be useful if you included traceroute or other diagnostic information but as it is, it isn't.
Old 2009-02-03, 16:25   Link #7
Gear853
Knowledge Is Power.

well i flushed my DNS Cache, and it's still doing it.

but it works when i just enter the IP address. odd, very odd.
Old 2009-02-03, 16:34   Link #8
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear853 View Post
odd, very odd.
Not that odd if you are suffering what Vexx describes; if a DNS cache, probably at your ISP, has been poisoned (i.e fed with false information) then it will keep passing that false information on to you each time you flush your cache and try again. Only once the cache at your ISP is flushed, or rather the invalid entry expires, and the server requests the name-to-IP mapping again, from a legitimate source, will you see a change.

When you use the IP address directly you are skipping the DNS completely and hence always get the right server. That method will stop working if we move the server to a different IP address, of course. We have no plans to do that at this time, so you're safe to use the IP until the problem with your ISP (or whatever) is resolved.

Last edited by NightWish; 2009-02-03 at 17:26. Reason: typo
Old 2009-02-03, 16:49   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There does seem to be a current problem with DNS resolving in certain parts of the world. I'm getting far more DNS lookup error results than usual today when visiting websites based in certain regions.

If I get some time I'll visit the "Storm Center" and see if anything has been reported...
Old 2009-02-04, 00:28   Link #10
Gear853
Knowledge Is Power.

i'm going to try to disable the DNS Client all together and reboot. let's see how that works.
Old 2009-02-04, 01:02   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You might also complain upstream to your ISP that you think their DNS caches are poisoned or they're getting bad DNS resolve data from someone further upstream who is poisoned.

Instead of righteously seeking the true correct answer to a DNS resolve query, most DNS servers keep a cache of previous request results for efficiency; they *should* flush periodically but sometimes administrators set the flush to something silly like "once every week".

One time something between me and Animesuki kept a poisoned cache for almost a week :P and calling my ISP is always an exercise in homicidal rage ("yes sir, we're going to spend 3 hrs asking you if your computer is plugged in") ....very annoying.
Old 2009-02-04, 01:10   Link #12
Gear853
Knowledge Is Power.

interesting enough, when i disable the Internet Information Server Manager (Via Administrative Tools) i get this instead..

Old 2009-02-04, 01:45   Link #13
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

What if you use a mirror? For instance, I use animesuki.rut.org rather than www.animesuki.com. I notice with some amusement that the mirror I use no longer appears in the list of mirrors.

Might I suggest you take a look at your HOSTS file? It lives somewhere under C:\Windows. Occasionally a piece of malware will add entries to that file because it overrides DNS resolution. Make sure there are no stray entries for www.animesuki.com. It's not too likely, but it's worth a quick look.

The other symptoms you describe suggest that all outbound HTTP requests are being redirected to the local machine. It's as if everything resolves to 127.0.0.1 ("localhost"). When you had IIS running, it answered those queries; when you turn it off, they fail. I don't how you could get into such a conundrum, but then I haven't used Windows in a very long time.

If you can bring up a terminal with Start > Run > type "cmd" + hit enter, try pinging various remote locations and see what IP addresses you get back. Start with "ping www.animesuki.com" and make sure it resolves to 69.42.221.126. If it doesn't, something is mucking around with your DNS resolution. If it does resolve correctly, but you can't get there with IE, try installing Firefox and see if that works differently.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-02-04 at 01:58.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 04:54   Link #14
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I notice with some amusement that the mirror I use no longer appears in the list of mirrors.
It is all relative. The list of mirrors you see depends on where you are viewing the list.
Old 2009-02-04, 05:08   Link #15
cyth
Banned

Try OpenDNS for new DNS servers. That way you'll bypass your ISP DNS servers feeding you crap.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 08:16   Link #16
Proto

Quote:
If I may ask, why does it make you sad?
As a GNU advocate you couldn't expect less from me (yes, I know Apache isn't under the GNU license, for anyone that feels making a cheeky remark)

Anyway if this is the only page with which you are having problems you may be better off just bookmarking that IP and relying on that for a while until the DNS server that is causing the problems stops going bullocks.
Old 2009-02-04, 09:02   Link #17
Gear853
Knowledge Is Power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
What if you use a mirror? For instance, I use animesuki.rut.org rather than www.animesuki.com. I notice with some amusement that the mirror I use no longer appears in the list of mirrors.

Might I suggest you take a look at your HOSTS file? It lives somewhere under C:\Windows. Occasionally a piece of malware will add entries to that file because it overrides DNS resolution. Make sure there are no stray entries for www.animesuki.com. It's not too likely, but it's worth a quick look.

The other symptoms you describe suggest that all outbound HTTP requests are being redirected to the local machine. It's as if everything resolves to 127.0.0.1 ("localhost"). When you had IIS running, it answered those queries; when you turn it off, they fail. I don't how you could get into such a conundrum, but then I haven't used Windows in a very long time.

If you can bring up a terminal with Start > Run > type "cmd" + hit enter, try pinging various remote locations and see what IP addresses you get back. Start with "ping www.animesuki.com" and make sure it resolves to 69.42.221.126. If it doesn't, something is mucking around with your DNS resolution. If it does resolve correctly, but you can't get there with IE, try installing Firefox and see if that works differently.
something is messing around my DNS resolution. it just ping back to local host instead.

and this is the only site that's having problem at the moment, i just like to get it resolve before i found more site...that's doing the same.
Old 2009-02-04, 10:36   Link #18
Proto

Now if it effectively pings back to your local host then the problem is on your side. (just to confirm, try a traceroute as well). Check the hosts file as SeijiSensei instructed. For some reason or another there should be an entry for animesuki there.
Old 2009-02-04, 14:50   Link #19
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
something is messing around my DNS resolution. it just ping back to local host instead.
Rerouting to localhost is the classic way to disable DNS resolution with the hosts file (usually done to prevent an accidental connection to a malware-ridden website). If I wanted to write some malware to annoy simply annoy people, rerouting * to 127.0.0.1 would be a pretty funny way to mess with the infected machine.

Check your hosts file as indicated by Seiji (Windows\system32\etc\hosts?).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-04, 15:02   Link #20
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I did a test on intoDNS.com to see if any of the AnimeSuki DNS servers might be out of date, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Plus, I suspect we'd get a lot more complaints in that case.

I second the suggestion to use OpenDNS. When your provider's DNS servers are working properly OpenDNS is not really required, but it might be worth a try in this case.

As already mentioned by NightWish: none of the servers associated with AnimeSuki runs Windows. The site (animesuki.com) runs lighttpd (BSD license) on FreeBSD. The forum also runs lighttpd on CentOS (free version of Red Hat Enterprise). Apache tends to use huge amounts of RAM when serving moderate amounts of visitors unless you use the threaded MPM. However last time I checked (which is a while ago) the threaded MPM doesn't work well with PHP. Hence we use a lighter alternative called lighttpd. If I had to rebuild one of the servers at this time I'd also might give nginx a try (nginx already runs ImageHost.org, one of my other sites).

PS. Sorry for the slow response from my side, but I'm still waiting for my ADSL to be reconnected after moving recently.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote