AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 131 64.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 20.20%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 10.34%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 2.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.49%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-28, 20:06   Link #21
Lostdreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
me too...and where the hell did all of them get the card?....
It's their identity card. I think everybody carries one around in Japan.
Old 2010-05-28, 20:14   Link #22
Sigsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
me too...and where the hell did all of them get the card?....
I think that its something that everyone carries -- like an ID.

Great episode overall, loved Otonashi's past and how he sacrificed himself for others; not to mention that he didn't worry anyone about his injury
10/10
Old 2010-05-28, 20:15   Link #23
pampz21
ShipCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigsig View Post

Great episode overall, loved Otonashi's past and how he sacrificed himself for others; not to mention that he didn't worry anyone about his injury
10/10
yup me too...great inspiration...One of my favorite char...

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

Old 2010-05-28, 20:16   Link #24
Key Board
Carbon

Otonashi reminds me of Shirou from Fate Stay Night

he has a severe saviour complex

he wants to save everyone.. no, he obssesses about it

but he's put in a situation where the goal is not to kill each other to survive, so his morality does not clash with the setting like Shirou

still, I wonder if this will make him truly happy in the end? because to me this path can only lead to one thing: he will become the new Tenshi of that purgatory
Old 2010-05-28, 20:16   Link #25
Eater of All
NOM

A nice, slow episode once in a while is fine too. Especially the part where Tenshi gets to act mega cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
All the scenes that were played out to convey these strong emotion were done nonchalantly. Much more effective. Poor Otonashi!
This. Unlike some of the previous stories, this one doesn't try to shove the drama down the throat all the way back out the arse and instead actually tries to be more moderate about it - which, to continue the analogy, is much easier to swallow and savor. The bittersweet ending was very nicely done as well.

Also, the whole situation seriously reminds me of Ever17, lol.
Old 2010-05-28, 20:44   Link #26
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigsig View Post

10/10
Saw it posted somewhere else that it's a med insurance card:

Still, its hard to get moved by the scene when you realise that these guys didn't sign when they first got their cards and had to be inspired to do so. They make it as if there is some sort of stigma with agreeing to organ donation and it take will to do so.
Old 2010-05-28, 21:07   Link #27
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I don't know if it's the paint making me teary-eyed (there's someone doing a paint job outside and he decides not to improve the ventilation ) but I admit to have been teary-eyed on that scene that he goes to sign his health insurance card. That's one heroic move, Otonashi. o7
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2010-05-28 at 21:25.
Old 2010-05-28, 21:22   Link #28
Yuutsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Still, its hard to get moved by the scene when you realise that these guys didn't sign when they first got their cards and had to be inspired to do so. They make it as if there is some sort of stigma with agreeing to organ donation and it take will to do so.
Wow, I never thought of it that way; I had pretty much the opposite reaction. I'd think that the average person wouldn't sign something with such important implications as this because it'd take a fairly altruistic person to do so. For a person to be able to commit to an action such as donating their organs would imply that he or she has the resolve needed to face the fact that death is inevitable and that the best possible outcome should be made out of it. It's simply not something that we Animesukians, the few lucky people of this planet, think about in our daily and relatively peaceful lives.

Mind you, this is all coming from my personal experiences. I'm certainly not saying the way I think is correct (nor am I trying to refute your opinion or anything like that), but this is the perspective from which I viewed that particular scene you're referring to. I found it quite moving that the people in the accident still had the will to make the most out of their life despite all that has happened to them in the last seven days.

As a result of episodes such as this, Beats has quickly moved up to be one of the few anime I'm most looking forward to each week (quite a difference from my impressions of the first episode!).
Old 2010-05-28, 21:25   Link #29
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

I enjoyed the episode but I wonder... where was the guy who stole the water planning to go?

Old 2010-05-28, 21:28   Link #30
Jarmel

Wow either Japan's emergency response teams move slow or this was the worst tunnel collapses in history. Anyway I think I like Otonashi the most out of all the Key main characters.

Edit:@momobunny

I was thinking the same thing.

Last edited by Jarmel; 2010-05-28 at 22:03.
Old 2010-05-28, 21:34   Link #31
Kakkou
Tch.

^ People can do irrational things when faced with difficult situations. He must've simply panicked and lost his common sense.

This was a really good episode as far as Angel Beats! is concerned. I'm sorry I ever doubted your status as main character Yuzuru =(. I'm looking forward to how he plans to bring peace to everyone in 4 more episodes. Cockroach seems to be the focus next week. If anything, Maeda most likely would make even me feel some sympathy towards her next week. Oh, and I laughed at next weeks title coupled with the fact it's focusing on her. Trying to reference the IRL singer YUI huh? XD
Old 2010-05-28, 21:38   Link #32
pampz21
ShipCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Wow either Japan's emergency response teams move slow or this was the worst tunnel collapses in history. Anyway I think like Otonashi the most out of all the Key main characters.

Edit:@momobunny

I was thinking the same thing.
well he was my main char in the first plays...

something bothering me....why is that he lost his memory....he just died lying.....

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

Old 2010-05-28, 21:40   Link #33
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuutsu View Post
Wow, I never thought of it that way; I had pretty much the opposite reaction. I'd think that the average person wouldn't sign something with such important implications as this because it'd take a fairly altruistic person to do so.
Really? To me organ donating is on the same level as not littering, ie something you should be doing anyway (hence my first though is: "wait, I'm supposed to be moved at this?"). I haven't meet anyone who didn't sign something so simple like agreeing to donate in their driver applications (IIRC from my NZ and Aus ones). It's a just a tiny tick box.

Looking at the scene a second time my thought was more along the lines of "whaa? you didn't sign when it came in the mail?"
Old 2010-05-28, 21:40   Link #34
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

I'm surprised opinions seem to vary about this episode. For me, I'm just stunned. I remember Maeda saying in an interview that he might have a hard time trying to come up with something touching in this series, and guess what, he did it. Yes, the part I got teary was none other than Otonashi singing the donation... by the way, talking about that, I need to correct some of the views here that why those people didn't sign in it the first place. We are talking about Japan here, part of the Asia, where most people believe in keeping their bodies as a whole after death. Being a donator means having your body all cut up and that's against the belief.

Other than the part above, the scene between Kanade and Otonashi was also beautiful. Now we know the true meaning behind her nick "Tenshi", even though the nick wasn't referred as for the same purpose. Also, waking up with her hand patting your face (and again afterwards), anyone?
Old 2010-05-28, 21:44   Link #35
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

And a caress of his face. *_*
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-05-28, 21:45   Link #36
Hypernova

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
I'm surprised opinions seem to vary about this episode. For me, I'm just stunned. I remember Maeda saying in an interview that he might have a hard time trying to come up with something touching in this series, and guess what, he did it. Yes, the part I got teary was none other than Otonashi singing the donation... by the way, talking about that, I need to correct some of the views here that why those people didn't sign in it the first place. We are talking about Japan here, part of the Asia, where most people believe in keeping their bodies as a whole after death. Being a donator means having your body all cut up and that's against the belief.
I was in Taiwan until 9, and I don't think my parents ever thought about this either. To us it was just another empty field you have to fill in for what ever form you are filling.
Old 2010-05-28, 21:48   Link #37
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

All other SSS members are easy to 'erase'; the only two people standing in Kanade and Yuzuru's way are the core members. Other than that, I don't think they can wrap this up with so little screentime. So the best bet would be to take out the dragon's head.
Old 2010-05-28, 21:49   Link #38
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
I was in Taiwan until 9, and I don't think my parents ever thought about this either. To us it was just another empty field you have to fill in for what ever form you are filling.
That's why I said "most", but the thing is, even if your parents don't care, it's considered to be unfilial if you have your parents ending up in the situation (same for your offsprings having you ending up in the situation of being donated), so either way, with both common practice and social pressure, the cycle continues and hence it becomes a rare thing to become an "after-death" donator. Now, if you donate your organs while you're alive, that's a different story.
Old 2010-05-28, 22:05   Link #39
rstrafford

I found myself a little conflicted about Otonashi's decision since it reminds me what Ayato wanted. Even if it's for different reasons, he is taking their decision away from them.
Old 2010-05-28, 22:10   Link #40
Farix

Quote:
Most people usually don't think about it. It use to be an option on the back of my state's driver's license, but so free people volunteered for organ donation that the state took it off when the license was redesigned.

People generally don't think about their own mortality and what happens after they die. The scene of Otonashi filling out his donor form is meant to show that he was excepting his death but wanted his life to still mean something.
Closed Thread