AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-06-09, 10:14   Link #1061
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Eh, we don't know much about it yet. It must be said though that Sunrise is probably making a good move business wise. In the past 3 or 4 years there haven't been many kids mecha shows to bring in the new fans, so this may be a good thing in the long run.

On the other hand, should they be doing this with a flagship property like Gundam?

Or maybe they're trying to make a "all the family" show, to bring in viewers from all age groups, particularly Parents + Kids. If the parents are into it they'll buy more Gunpla for the kids...

In particular I can see this "generational" plot appealing to the parent demographic, but it may all leave the traditional young male adult demographic (IE most of us...) in the cold.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 10:27   Link #1062
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Eh, we don't know much about it yet. It must be said though that Sunrise is probably making a good move business wise. In the past 3 or 4 years there haven't been many kids mecha shows to bring in the new fans, so this may be a good thing in the long run.
I will leave my final judgment until I watch the show. Although it is fairly possible this show might, just might, rekindle nostalgia of my childhood memories (for some reason I am thinking Mazinger right now...)

Still... the Gundam design is... pretty damn ugly.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 10:55   Link #1063
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxiel View Post
but Digimon was awesome
I agree..........wait which season are we talking about here?

Why do Savers come to mind when I look at these characters? Oh well I enjoyed Digimon Savers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I was citing one example, it doesn't necessarily have to try to work in 'realistic' issues. In fact, I'd say kids and even teens would probably be turned off by those.

Speaking idealistically, I would very much love to see a pseudo-Assassin's Creed style of generational storytelling ( minus the Animus, thank you very much ), where we get to see at least one of the 3 main character's growth into adulthood just as AC2's side of the series spanned the 20+ years growth of Ezio into a full-fledged 50 years old master assassin.
Oh yes, AC style of generational storytelling would be nice as well. I'm hoping that we won't only see them all as kids in their own younger time though. Some later interactions as they've grown up would be nice.
Old 2011-06-09, 11:27   Link #1064
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I will leave my final judgment until I watch the show. Although it is fairly possible this show might, just might, rekindle nostalgia of my childhood memories (for some reason I am thinking Mazinger right now...)
QFT! That's exactly how I feel, I mean they wouldn't really try to alienate all us older fans would they, maybe they're going for the nostalgia value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak
Still... the Gundam design is... pretty damn ugly.
I did HATE!! the designs in 00 and by the end I liked them pretty well, however I only mildly dislike this gundam so there's hope.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 11:34   Link #1065
stardrago

Is it just me, or does the Gundam Age's Titus and Sparrow form reminds me of Kamen Rider Black RX's Roborider for power and Biorider for speed, as well as Ultraman Dyna's form changes?
stardrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 11:35   Link #1066
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Btw this one gonna replacing Digimon Xros timeslot that gonna end soon or what?
Old 2011-06-09, 11:38   Link #1067
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardrago View Post
Is it just me, or does the Gundam Age's Titus and Sparrow form reminds me of Kamen Rider Black RX's Roborider for power and Biorider for speed, as well as Ultraman Dyna's form changes?
Actually, if anything, the Titus form reminds me of the Gundam Maxter.
Old 2011-06-09, 11:48   Link #1068
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
I did HATE!! the designs in 00 and by the end I liked them pretty well
You did? I loved them actually. Its not my favorite designs, but I was certainly very far from hating.

Anyway, we will see. It does look like this will turn into some sort of SuperRobo flick. Can't say I am a big fan of it.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 13:00   Link #1069
AoiKurenai

I can't believe I have to say this, but, hey guys, you should all realize Gundam is and always was a kid's show. Yes, it has some high brow moments and things to appeal to all audiences, but this is no different than the Kamen Rider shows that have these deep plots and pretty guys for the parents of the kids to be entertained with while the kids want to buy all the cool toys. Gundam is no different than that, it just seems that this show is taking a more visual approach to the kiddy dynamic, but that doesn't mean it can't be good. Heck, imagine this sort of art with the traditional tone of a Gundam series. And for a toyetic series that people think this one will be, we've only seen one Gundam with three modes, it's been over ten years since we were introduced with a series that had such a small (Well smaller) amount of Mobile Suits to start out with.

I'm also thinking this might take a Kamen Rider Kiva approach where we're shown all three stories at the same time. Either way, this is definitely Bandai's attempt at grabbing a new generation of kids into the fold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post

Why do Savers come to mind when I look at these characters? Oh well I enjoyed Digimon Savers.
If it's half as good as Digimon Xros Wars, then it'll be an incredible show.
AoiKurenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 13:00   Link #1070
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Kind of pleasantly surprised that other than the places that turn around and whine and bitch about everything under the sun that so far people are reasonably open-minded about a show that's probably aimed at kids and even seem to understand why the decision was made by Sunrise to try and capture that demographic. Wasn't expecting this level of maturity at all really.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 13:03   Link #1071
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

When I first saw the colored design of the new protagonist Gundam, my very first thought was that they gave they gave the RX-78 a tune-up.
Old 2011-06-09, 13:06   Link #1072
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Kind of pleasantly surprised that other than the places that turn around and whine and bitch about everything under the sun that so far people are reasonably open-minded about a show that's probably aimed at kids and even seem to understand why the decision was made by Sunrise to try and capture that demographic. Wasn't expecting this level of maturity at all really.
Give it time. Pretty soon most of us are going to be sick of this place, especially when it starts airing and the bitchfest picks up steam.
Old 2011-06-09, 13:18   Link #1073
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Random prediction:

The story will likely be easy to digest for the younger kids, like the Sunrise Brave series. They will try to not alienate traditional Gundam fans too much, so the combat scenes shouldn't sucks.

Not in the scan, but Haro will show up.

The main wave of gunpla will be 1:144, ~800 yen each easy to build type. Fewer part and less detail than most HG but color accurate.

"Bad guy" units will be sold poorly if they are all like the ugly gray thing in the scan. Bandai may skip making them at all. Monster don't sell well even in Japan, unless it's a T-rex or Godzilla.

The boy (main character) will develop very strong super-nature ability later on. We will see his eye or hair change color, while his body emit a "force" aura.

The boy will have unrequited love toward one or more older female.

All three boy's Gundam will be destroyed near the middle of the run, and then each get a new one.

More Gundams will show up, including one with female body shape.

They will write a masked guy in there somehow, no matter how stupid it may be.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 13:21   Link #1074
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Give it time. Pretty soon most of us are going to be sick of this place, especially when it starts airing and the bitchfest picks up steam.
Couldn't be any worse than what happened with the 00 threads....could it? I mean my hope is that now that the mod staff seems extra serious about stamping out senseless whinging and whining that they won't allow a small group of people to just completely thread shit a Gundam series again and ruin the forum experience for everyone who does enjoy it.

Honestly just keeping literally 2-3 people under wraps (and we all know who they are) will make the threads bearable for everyone else and really that's all I'm asking if I do end up following the show through to the end. Just to be able to post something while a Gundam series is airing and not have it be immediately seized open as a launching ground for one person's agenda against a show and staff for an entire week.
Old 2011-06-09, 13:40   Link #1075
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en Sabers View Post

Here it is! The first pictures of the new Gundam series : Gundam Age.

In my opinion, I'm not happy with it....
Welcome to yesterday buddy. You've actually walked in midway through a conversation that's already happening about the promo art for this show. Care to weigh in any further?

Technically we're still before the official announcement which is apparently supposed to happen June 13th.
Old 2011-06-09, 13:44   Link #1076
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
Sunrise sees children as best seller of merchandise than the adults. Just look at Suit Precure series, there merchandise sells rating is higher than the t.v. rating show. I don't know if this strategy marketing will make a breakthrough on this sci-fi series.
They must be aware that the population of kids in Japan is declining so they're planning to get as many as they can.

Needless to say I'm not impressed but I am curious as to the Grand Father, father, son route.

I just hope they dont' bring out the "Son, it is your destiny to die in battle, just like my father and his father before that and his father before that father."
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 13:47   Link #1077
Se7en Sabers

Whoops sorry, I didn't check the previous pages

Anyway, it's hard to believe that the next Gundam, the Gundam 00's successor, is a kind of Digimon-Yu-Gi-Oh show....

Se7en Sabers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 13:51   Link #1078
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en Sabers View Post
Whoops sorry, I didn't check the previous pages

Anyway, it's hard to believe that the next Gundam, the Gundam 00's successor, is a kind of Digimon-Yu-Gi-Oh show....
Its not a card game show (though it has card game merchandising). Unless your referring to the more youth oriented theme, in which case yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Couldn't be any worse than what happened with the 00 threads....could it? I mean my hope is that now that the mod staff seems extra serious about stamping out senseless whinging and whining that they won't allow a small group of people to just completely thread shit a Gundam series again and ruin the forum experience for everyone who does enjoy it.

Honestly just keeping literally 2-3 people under wraps (and we all know who they are) will make the threads bearable for everyone else and really that's all I'm asking if I do end up following the show through to the end. Just to be able to post something while a Gundam series is airing and not have it be immediately seized open as a launching ground for one person's agenda against a show and staff for an entire week.
Well, we can always try to use the ignore list. It helps, a lot.

But I agree.
Old 2011-06-09, 13:54   Link #1079
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Its not a card game show. Unless your referring to the more youth oriented theme, in which case yeah.
I'd kind of be okay if it actually were a card game show if it meant I'd finally get that Gundam TCG video game I've always dreamed of.

Seriously the day that Bandai Namco makes a Gundam War portable game or some equivalent is going to be a great day if it ever happens.
Old 2011-06-09, 14:53   Link #1080
Araxiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Speaking idealistically, I would very much love to see a pseudo-Assassin's Creed style of generational storytelling ( minus the Animus, thank you very much ), where we get to see at least one of the 3 main character's growth into adulthood just as AC2's side of the series spanned the 20+ years growth of Ezio into a full-fledged 50 years old master assassin.
Something like that would be excellent, though I agree with others' predictions that we're probably not going to see much of the three main characters outside of their youth [ie, the designs we see on the promo art].
Quote:
First two seasons and movie. Haven't seen the others. :3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf18 View Post
Random prediction:
Not in the scan, but Haro will show up.

The main wave of gunpla will be 1:144, ~800 yen each easy to build type. Fewer part and less detail than most HG but color accurate.

"Bad guy" units will be sold poorly if they are all like the ugly gray thing in the scan. Bandai may skip making them at all. Monster don't sell well even in Japan, unless it's a T-rex or Godzilla.

The boy (main character) will develop very strong super-nature ability later on.

The boy will have unrequited love toward one or more older female.

All three boy's Gundam will be destroyed near the middle of the run, and then each get a new one.

They will write a masked guy in there somehow, no matter how stupid it may be.
Congratulations, you've identified the common elements that usually show up in any Gundam series ever, and sprinkled maybe one or two actual predictions in with them.