AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-19, 23:24   Link #1
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Lucky Star - Q & A

This thread is for those with questions about the Lucky Star anime, manga. Please keep discussion about episodes in the relevant threads, the purpose of this thread is to ask questions that can actually be answered as facts from the anime or game.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the anime, manga, or any non-anime source. Untagged spoilers are risking a ban. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags as they are shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how how grandma creates spoiler tags.
or
The macho way: By using those l33t vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=your reason for the spoiler tag]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for reminder:
Old 2007-04-20, 08:42   Link #2
Larcx
Zetsubou

Finally LS own thread

is it true
Spoiler for your reason for the spoiler tag:
Old 2007-04-20, 08:58   Link #3
JediNight
キズランダム

Of the main cast, Konata appears to be ambidextrous, and the rest are all left-handed yes.
Old 2007-04-20, 10:38   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd lay money the author is a left-hander taking his revenge on a society that still 'punishes' left-handedness
Old 2007-04-21, 05:09   Link #5
GriS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'd lay money the author is a left-hander taking his revenge on a society that still 'punishes' left-handedness
Really? Being a left-hander myself, I don't see any much difference from right-hander.
Actually, I use right hand/side for sports but left hand for writing... what does you call that type of person?

Anyway on topic,
Does 4-koma also has different type of 'Lucky Channel', featuring Akira and the stiff male counterpart?
Old 2007-04-21, 05:39   Link #6
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Q: Any particular reason for the name "Lucky☆Star"?

(I can probably guess. But for the sake of discussion, I'm asking anyway.)
Old 2007-04-21, 12:54   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriS View Post
Really? Being a left-hander myself, I don't see any much difference from right-hander.
Actually, I use right hand/side for sports but left hand for writing... what does you call that type of person?

Anyway on topic,
Does 4-koma also has different type of 'Lucky Channel', featuring Akira and the stiff male counterpart?
Are you from Japan? (left-handedness there was still rather frowned apon even through the 80s, even now people are considered poorly mannered if they use hashi/chopsticks with their lefthand) ... in the US even as late as the 70s children were often forced to "change hands") -- in older times, left-handed people were looked on with great suspicion.

Its called "ambidexterous" .... or "equally challenged with both hands" I'm ambi ... I can use chopsticks with either hand and switchhit when golfing/putting and shooting pool. I can write with either hand. ... just none of it exceptionally well

The 4-koma comics never mention Lucky Channel --- it is purely an add-on and based on a real life radio show for the fandom. I love it but I also hate it since it takes time away from the meat of the show. I suppose they came up with it to pad out the show since they're probably not going to do the four volumes released so far in detail (like Azumanga did with their 4 volume manga when they adapted it to animation).
Old 2007-04-21, 16:29   Link #8
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Q: Does this anime have any kind of plot ?
Old 2007-04-21, 17:12   Link #9
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ sure it has a plot...its about the random (fun) adventures of konata and Co. (if that isnt a great plot i duno what is)

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-21, 18:38   Link #10
chaos4ever
Retired
*Fansubber

According to Level E, frankly a big fan and close follower of the Lucky Star franchise (to say the least), "The strip like various other 4koma does not have a plot, but focuses on the social observations made by the characters throughout their daily lives." (http://www.windfs.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=175)

And according to him, Konata is ambi, while the rest of the four are lefties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The 4-koma comics never mention Lucky Channel --- it is purely an add-on and based on a real life radio show for the fandom. I love it but I also hate it since it takes time away from the meat of the show. I suppose they came up with it to pad out the show since they're probably not going to do the four volumes released so far in detail (like Azumanga did with their 4 volume manga when they adapted it to animation).
Lucky Channel is an "advertising vehicle used to promote various Kadokawa merchandise. It has its own corner in Comptiq [the magazine where Lucky Star is published], a radio show, and now a TV show."

anyway, yeah. the link explains a lot

Last edited by chaos4ever; 2007-04-21 at 19:48.
Old 2007-04-21, 22:43   Link #11
Ffenix Rising
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos4ever View Post
Lucky Channel is an "advertising vehicle used to promote various Kadokawa merchandise. It has its own corner in Comptiq [the magazine where Lucky Star is published], a radio show, and now a TV show."
I mentioned this before, on the same day that they posted this trivia on their forums I might add, but since that post is in the Generic Discussion, it got buried and never seen again... until now!

Link: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...postcount=1410

Old 2007-04-22, 20:20   Link #12
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Much earlier in the original thread, Sushi-Y mentioned something about Akira-chan's column being canned previously in Comptiq... I asked what he was refering to, but I don't think he saw my question. Still, it sounds like there's something else beyond or predating the radio show? I know a lot of magazines have little themed editorial pages after some manga, so perhaps it was something like that for a while?

Man, I have some old issues buried very, very deeply somewhere in my condo, I should try and locate them again now... >_<;
Old 2007-04-26, 22:11   Link #13
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Send a message via AIM to Maveric
Q: What the heck is a QUO card. I did a google search and I think its a debit card, but I cant read the website so I dunno.
Old 2007-04-27, 09:43   Link #14
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maveric View Post
Q: What the heck is a QUO card. I did a google search and I think its a debit card, but I cant read the website so I dunno.
It's a pre-paid debit card that can be used in the shops listed here: http://www.quocard.com/member/ (site in Japanese, but you can see the companies' logo)

Since there are many popular chain stores that take QUO cards, many have jumped on the bandwagon to advertise their goods on these cards (in this case, Comptiq advertising moe~ characters onto QUO cards, which obviously Konata does anything she can to get her hands on them but will never use them)
Old 2007-04-29, 12:47   Link #15
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
It's a pre-paid debit card that can be used in the shops listed here: http://www.quocard.com/member/ (site in Japanese, but you can see the companies' logo)

Since there are many popular chain stores that take QUO cards, many have jumped on the bandwagon to advertise their goods on these cards (in this case, Comptiq advertising moe~ characters onto QUO cards, which obviously Konata does anything she can to get her hands on them but will never use them)
Ahh... So it is like collecting mint postage stamps.

How much do these cards generally cost? I just want to know what amount of money Kotana is spending, buying multiples...
Old 2007-04-29, 23:26   Link #16
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
How much do these cards generally cost? I just want to know what amount of money Kotana is spending, buying multiples...
They work pretty much like gift cards, which means you can put any value you want on them. Standard amount usually ranges from 500 to 10,000 yen though.

The kind of QUO card Konata talks about, however, are more of a type of "collectible goods" geared towards otakus, which are no different from normal cards except they often feature original illustrations of a certain anime/manga/bishojo game series (which makes them highly desirable for the fans). These are often available through online/magazine mail orders or prize drawings (like what Comtiq does). This is pretty much the same with the phone cards, although they have been around for longer.

Just like Konata said, cards like these are mainly for collection purposes, so the cash value on them is usually low (500-1000 yen range), which makes them more affordable for collectors.
Old 2007-04-30, 19:51   Link #17
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Question

Erm, I'll try asking a third time...Sushi-Y, you mentioned earlier, back before the thread split, something about Akira getting canceled earlier in Comptiq...could you explain what that you meant by that?

(beginining to feel invisible... )
Old 2007-05-01, 12:42   Link #18
Level E
みwiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayu-ayu View Post
Erm, I'll try asking a third time...Sushi-Y, you mentioned earlier, back before the thread split, something about Akira getting canceled earlier in Comptiq...could you explain what that you meant by that?

(beginining to feel invisible... )
I'll make an attempt at this, but my history with Lucky Star only stems back a few months and I don't buy Comptiq too often, so all this info below is just a guess at what happened ^^;

Yoshimizu Kagami (the manga-ka of the series) wrote and drew the mascot chara for Comptiq. Later he decided to write some several small strip which got some attention, then he decided to drive into Lucky Star.

As Lucky Star got popular, Comptiq asked Yoshimizu to come up with an advertising corner which he came up with the Lucky Channel and later Lucky Paradise which is headed by another character: Sakuraba-sensei (the biology teacher & Kagami's HR teacher - well, at least in her 3rd year). Lucky Paradise is also the production name for Lucky Star.

My guess is Paradise took over and the Channel was moved to the radio to promote. Paradise seems to have a much more of a narrow scope then the Channel as well. That's probably the decision of someone higher up in Kadokawa.
Old 2007-05-01, 14:20   Link #19
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level E View Post
I'll make an attempt at this, but my history with Lucky Star only stems back a few months and I don't buy Comptiq too often, so all this info below is just a guess at what happened ^^;

Yoshimizu Kagami (the manga-ka of the series) wrote and drew the mascot chara for Comptiq. Later he decided to write some several small strip which got some attention, then he decided to drive into Lucky Star.

As Lucky Star got popular, Comptiq asked Yoshimizu to come up with an advertising corner which he came up with the Lucky Channel and later Lucky Paradise which is headed by another character: Sakuraba-sensei (the biology teacher & Kagami's HR teacher - well, at least in her 3rd year). Lucky Paradise is also the production name for Lucky Star.

My guess is Paradise took over and the Channel was moved to the radio to promote. Paradise seems to have a much more of a narrow scope then the Channel as well. That's probably the decision of someone higher up in Kadokawa.
Naruhodo! Thanks so much for clearing that up more, I had a hunch it was one of those "corner"-type pieces.
Old 2007-05-03, 10:33   Link #20
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I've heard Lucky Star changed directors. When did that happen? Why?
Closed Thread