AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-04-26, 15:58   Link #241
kyp275
Meh

VW's games all feature a very highly stylized storybook-esque art, and IMO are some of the most gorgeous drawings in video games. Odin's Sphere, Murasama, GrimGrimoire, etc.

The style covers everything - men, women, monsters, the alive, the dead, buildings, plants, everything.

But I guess whining about unrealistic buildings or undead necromancers won't get you too many page clicks or internet rage, it IS kotaku after all.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 16:04   Link #242
cronnoponno

So, after all this talk about how badass their artstyle is I gave Odin sphere a look, I'm amazed, this is awesome!

How have I not heard of this before?
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 16:07   Link #243
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post
So, after all this talk about how badass their artstyle is I gave Odin sphere a look, I'm amazed, this is awesome!

well, they're a small company, and Odin Sphere came rather late in the PS2 life cycle.

But yes, Odin's Sphere is amazing, both the art and the game play, and the story. You should definitely give it a play if you have the chance.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 16:34   Link #244
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnoponno View Post

Also, a retranslated Muramasa is being released on the Vita, so if you have one of those, I'd check it out. If you don't, there is still the Wii version.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-26, 16:55   Link #245
cronnoponno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
Also, a retranslated Muramasa is being released on the Vita, so if you have one of those, I'd check it out. If you don't, there is still the Wii version.
Actually I played Muramasa on the wii and I know what that is and intended to get the Vita remake with the new characters regardless, I just didn't really...pay attention to the fact that it's the same company behind this, and I loved Muramasa's art; this kinda makes me wonder why there was an issue with Dragon's crown in the first place.

Seems like the games they made have a healthy amount of everything, some outfits in Odin SPhere's enemies looked a little revealing but it wasn't even ''lol I'm titzilla!'' from the videos I just looked at, I guess I can see why people are saying he's just focusing on Dragon's Crown, while many games like that exist, it seems like the first they made that's barbarically exaggerated and I don't think they should be treated like a bunch of women-beating-rape-apologists because they decided to dip in to that.

I also kinda wonder why people are saying the Dwarf appeals to some male Fantasy, at all....does any guy at all have fantasies or aspirations to seriously play as a giant dwarf that looks like a geometrical shape, I'm sure they exist but lol? Does anyone here, who is male, want to look like THAT? Looks like a monster to me...I think the Wizard applies to a male fantasy far more than the dwarf does.
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 06:26   Link #246
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I've never understood the need to combine all genres into one big happy little streamlined family. We get divisions, developers try to reach out to everyone with a single title, then when the current iteration fails, everyone points fingers and says its not to their tastes. Shit hits the fan and everyone is separated. Some people start getting preachy and tell them that we need to stick together. The sad fact of the matter is that everyone was an individual in this whole gaming business. We were segregated from the rest because of the games of our choice. There are no videogames for women because it wasn't common for girls to shut themselves in their room for 18 hours a day on preference, even though that's rare even for guys. Gamers like that stick to other people like that because they relate. People who game together don't always meet to socialize, it's because they found relativity, understanding. It's sad, but true. When they stick, they try never to let go only because they think that person understand where most don't, they assume a kindred spirit.

That's right, games were made for lonely 14 year old mindsets. Then suddenly an idea struck some idiot. He thought that videogames were something to brag about to "normal" people. Like if you told someone who played basketball you can do a quadkill without needing any allies or having the enemies come one at a time in DotA or any similar games. Then the "normal" people took that as a challenge. Then they start bragging about it too. Then it all loses control from there. Facebook pops up and youtube then we're all suddenly posting how "badass" we are. Marketers see this potential market and hope they can make some green from it. So they make franchise tie in games. Barbie, Disney's Hercules, lots of other stuff.

Indeed, it may be weird for a kid who's 13 to be playing a game about a lady trying to get with this one guy as he goes around trying to save the world. Then again I play Atelier Rorona where you practically have a reverse harem at your disposal, then again as a guy I have those bizarro glasses when the female lead interacts with the female best friends. I still wish the character MC herself a good fortune and she ends up with that one guy. Why? I don't know? Does that affect my gender identity? Definitely not, I'm still attracted to girls and not guys.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that. This crap is just getting blown out of proportion
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 00:29   Link #247
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It's being blown out of proportion by a vocal minority of "feminists" who want to use the controversy for their own personal gain. The issue, however, is still there. I don't really understand why the industry doesn't address it--if they can get more women to game, that's more customers to sell games to.