AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

View Poll Results: Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 1 11.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 11.11%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 33.33%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 44.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2019-06-22, 04:13   Link #41
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I mean, even she admitted she didn't remember everything exactly about what went on back then and only had some vague recollections.

What she told Naofumi about what past Heroes had to do might've been the most she remembered about the Wave conflict, as Kinematics alluded to.
How convenient, this series really goes out of its way to bend over backwards to keep them (especially Naofumi) out of the loop, doesn't it? With how half assed all of the information they keep getting is, it makes you wonder how the heroes before them got anything done.

I refuse to believe that nobody bothered to record this kind of information in the past. Heck, even the church itself would have some sort of hidden recorded information about it.
Old 2019-06-22, 04:34   Link #42
magnuskn

Well, Naofumi not choosing to pursue such knowledge to the fullest extent available to him is also a part. One could argue, of course, that he needs to get stronger (i.e. grind XP) to survive the next coming wave and therefore doesn't feel that he has the time to do some serious research.
Old 2019-06-22, 09:50   Link #43
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
How convenient, this series really goes out of its way to bend over backwards to keep them (especially Naofumi) out of the loop, doesn't it? With how half assed all of the information they keep getting is, it makes you wonder how the heroes before them got anything done.

I refuse to believe that nobody bothered to record this kind of information in the past. Heck, even the church itself would have some sort of hidden recorded information about it.
The plot is full of stuff that is very obvious to certian characters so they don't feel like explaining it to the others (I am looking at you itsuki); by how consistent the pot is with that I can't call it a plot hole.
Old 2019-06-22, 12:31   Link #44
BWTraveller
Born to ship

This's part of the reason I still think it makes more sense to believe that the last batch of Waves was long ago, and whatever resentments and problems current people have come either from legends or from other types of conflicts performed in their name (similar to how someone might develop a negative image of Jesus based on the actions of the Church at some periods and places). If they hit every generation or so then indeed they should have a very well-documented record of information to aid the heroes. If the last one was a few centuries ago and the destruction was sufficiently severe it'd make perfect sense for records to be broken and difficult to piece together.

Frankly, I suspect this might be part of the reason stories of hero summons tend to either have the heroes be the first batch or the first in a very long time.
Old 2019-06-22, 13:59   Link #45
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
This's part of the reason I still think it makes more sense to believe that the last batch of Waves was long ago, and whatever resentments and problems current people have come either from legends or from other types of conflicts performed in their name (similar to how someone might develop a negative image of Jesus based on the actions of the Church at some periods and places). If they hit every generation or so then indeed they should have a very well-documented record of information to aid the heroes. If the last one was a few centuries ago and the destruction was sufficiently severe it'd make perfect sense for records to be broken and difficult to piece together.

Frankly, I suspect this might be part of the reason stories of hero summons tend to either have the heroes be the first batch or the first in a very long time.
That would work, if we didn't already know that Trash (the former king) met a Shield Hero and has a personal vendetta against him, something about losing his family.
Old 2019-06-22, 14:32   Link #46
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
The Pope wasn't a "staff hero". Just as Raphtalia using a sword does not mean Ren cannot be the Sword Hero.
Ok, the position for "staff hero" is still open then
Old 2019-06-22, 20:47   Link #47
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
That would work, if we didn't already know that Trash (the former king) met a Shield Hero and has a personal vendetta against him, something about losing his family.
I'm not sure he specifically said that he actually encountered the Shield per se. Could possibly have been something like losing his family to worshippers of the Shield (like I said before about it being possible for people to develop a hatred of Jesus or Mohammed on account of the actions of certain people who proclaim themselves to be Christians or Muslims). But in any case, I wasn't really talking about whether it fit perfectly or that it was the way things are going to go, only that it makes more sense in general.
Old 2019-06-23, 03:25   Link #48
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
I'm not sure he specifically said that he actually encountered the Shield per se. Could possibly have been something like losing his family to worshippers of the Shield (like I said before about it being possible for people to develop a hatred of Jesus or Mohammed on account of the actions of certain people who proclaim themselves to be Christians or Muslims). But in any case, I wasn't really talking about whether it fit perfectly or that it was the way things are going to go, only that it makes more sense in general.
But the only "worshippers" of the shield hero would have been Raphtalias' kind and from what we have been shown so far it seems like they have been oppressed for a very long time by the humans in Melromarc. Unless there was some sort of coup against the human oppressors in Trashs' youth, this only works if he originally comes from a country where those kinds of values were inverted and there is one such place, but we don't have any confirmation he is from there.
Old 2019-06-23, 03:44   Link #49
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Could also have happened due to a war between Melromarc and one of its neighboring countries — such as the one they seem to have built a big wall to protect against. It's entirely possible it happened a few decades ago, given the king's age, and that's plenty of time for that to be reasonable.
Old 2019-06-23, 03:50   Link #50
Lex79

When you have a "simple" adventurer like Raphtalia stronger and more effective than the heroes, you really start to ponder if the author is nerfing them a bit too much.
Old 2019-06-23, 08:35   Link #51
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
But the only "worshippers" of the shield hero would have been Raphtalias' kind and from what we have been shown so far it seems like they have been oppressed for a very long time by the humans in Melromarc. Unless there was some sort of coup against the human oppressors in Trashs' youth, this only works if he originally comes from a country where those kinds of values were inverted and there is one such place, but we don't have any confirmation he is from there.
Did you forget that there's a country right next to them that treats humans the way they treat beastmen? I find it unlikely that two countries so severely opposed in ideology would have a long-lasting peace.
Old 2019-06-24, 15:13   Link #52
Twi

The peace is recent if I recall. They were at war previously. Idol, the fat noble, was someone who fought on the front lines alongside the King years ago, but that didn't make it in the episode before he released the T-Rex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex79 View Post
When you have a "simple" adventurer like Raphtalia stronger and more effective than the heroes, you really start to ponder if the author is nerfing them a bit too much.

And yeah, that's the biggest issue. The heroes shouldn't be this weak compared to Raph. But every arc they get pushed back so Naofumi's group can shine. The best excuse you can give is Fitoria's gift doubled her stats to make up for the level discrepancy, but they shouldn't be weaker when they are heroes.
Old 2019-06-25, 12:56   Link #53
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Did you forget that there's a country right next to them that treats humans the way they treat beastmen? I find it unlikely that two countries so severely opposed in ideology would have a long-lasting peace.
I was literally implying that there is one (read it again), but that we don't know that Trash comes from that country specifically, unless you happen to have knowledge from beyond the anime.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
The peace is recent if I recall. They were at war previously. Idol, the fat noble, was someone who fought on the front lines alongside the King years ago, but that didn't make it in the episode before he released the T-Rex.

And yeah, that's the biggest issue. The heroes shouldn't be this weak compared to Raph. But every arc they get pushed back so Naofumi's group can shine. The best excuse you can give is Fitoria's gift doubled her stats to make up for the level discrepancy, but they shouldn't be weaker when they are heroes.
Also, the heroes have upgraded their classes (who knows how many times by now) while Naofumis' group haven't done it even once.
Old 2019-06-25, 14:19   Link #54
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Also, the heroes have upgraded their classes (who knows how many times by now) while Naofumis' group haven't done it even once.
None of the heroes have upgraded their classes. They are all unrestricted on level. It's only their companions that have to go through the class upgrade, of which there is (as far as I know) only one. (Though if there is another at level 80, it wouldn't surprise me.)

And Raphtalia and Filo have gone through their class upgrade; they just didn't get what they wanted. It's evident due to them being able to go past level 40 now.

It wouldn't surprise me if Raphtalia and Filo (last known to be at levels 75 and 76, when they visited the underwater hourglass) had come close to catching up to the other hero groups, given the slowdown of XP gain after level 70, and the fact that Naofumi's party was heavily grinding, staying on the outer islands into the night, while the last we saw of the other heroes was arguing over who got control of the easy farming area. If I were to speculate, I'd probably expect them to be around level 85, and not likely higher then level 90.

That still doesn't explain the power advantage Raphtalia seems to have, although I can see how it could come about.

In Ep 2, Raphtalia's HP/MP was 117/48 at level 1, 125/52 at level 2, 133/55 at level 3. In Ep 3, Raphtalia's HP/MP was 269/214 at level 18. In Ep 22, at level 40 before the class-up, her HP/MP was 487/458, with a 225 attack and 218 magic attack.

In her first couple levels, she gained 8 hit points per level. By level 18, she had averaged 9 hit points per level, and by level 40, had averaged 9.5 hit points per level.

In her first couple levels, she gained 3.5 magic points per level. By level 18, she had averaged about 9.75 magic points per level, and by level 40 had averaged 10.5 magic points per level.

The fact that the average improved over time means the stat growth isn't fixed. It may improve by level, or it may improve based on what experiences you have each level. EG: If you focus on magic, your magic stat is likely to improve more.

Meanwhile, Itsuki's 1st level stats were similar to Raphtalia's, with 130 HP and 49 MP. As such, I'll assume we can use his attack stats in a comparable manner as well. They started at 17 attack and 13 magic attack.

Going back to Ep 22, Raphtalia had reached 225 attack and 218 magic attack at level 40. That gives a growth rate of roughly 5.25 points per level.

If we extrapolate the same growth rates for levels 40+, Raphtalia likely has something like 634 attack and 620 magic attack, since all of her stats doubled during the class-up.

The heroes, meanwhile, likely have a lower base growth per level, as they depend much more on their weapons for excessive power. Most of Naofumi's defense seems to come from mastering the various shields he unlocks, not from leveling, for example.

So! I would speculate on baseline attack to be roughly 4 points per level, if you backtrack from the higher average of 5.25 that Raphtalia peaked at. If the heroes grew at that rate for per-level improvement, then their non-weapon attack stat would be around 360 by level 85, compared to Raphtalia's 634 at level 75. Their weapons should easily overcome that difference, but if they never worked on boosting their stats from unlocking and mastering weapons, they could still be 100-150 points behind Raphtalia, despite being a higher level.

Considering that's 1/2 to 2/3 of Raphtalia's total attack at level 40, having Raphtalia outdo them in the latest Wave battle is not entirely impossible. That depends mainly on the fact that Raphtalia's class-up gave her a massive stat boost (compared to expectations for most class-ups), and the other heroes coasting on their original weapon development instead of continuing to gain more stats from mastering more weapon versions.

Whether that's what actually happened, though, I can't really say.
Old 2019-06-25, 15:10   Link #55
GDB

Quote:
My impression in the manga, at least, was that Heroes have more potential due to the ability to easily gain a vast array of skills, but these idiots haven't done anything beyond grind some levels and get what they perceive to be the "strongest elemental skill" (Thunder or Meteor). Without those skills, they aren't really special in any way.

Also I think there's an aspect of the Shield at play here that was vaguely hinted at way back but never really explained in the anime. Don't recall if it was explained at this point in the manga or not (honestly didn't start from the beginning, so not sure), but they explain it in the epilogue of this Wave that likely won't get animated without a season 2. I'll wait until the episode airs before going into more detail just in case, though.
Old 2019-06-25, 15:49   Link #56
Lex79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
My impression in the manga, at least, was that Heroes have more potential due to the ability to easily gain a vast array of skills, but these idiots haven't done anything beyond grind some levels and get what they perceive to be the "strongest elemental skill" (Thunder or Meteor). Without those skills, they aren't really special in any way.

Also I think there's an aspect of the Shield at play here that was vaguely hinted at way back but never really explained in the anime. Don't recall if it was explained at this point in the manga or not (honestly didn't start from the beginning, so not sure), but they explain it in the epilogue of this Wave that likely won't get animated without a season 2. I'll wait until the episode airs before going into more detail just in case, though.
Yeah the heroes are clearly wasting a lot of their potential, no doubt about that. My biggest problem is that after the Fitoria and the Pope's arc I was expecting them starting to improve, instead of falling even more behind.
Old 2019-06-25, 16:41   Link #57
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
I was literally implying that there is one (read it again), but that we don't know that Trash comes from that country specifically, unless you happen to have knowledge from beyond the anime.
Why does he have to be from a demi-human supremacist country? When war happens one can expect atrocities by the neighboring country's people on one's own land. And these atrocities very quickly can lead to prejudice and grudges against anyone whose ancestry would associate them with said individuals as well as anyone or anything the individuals identify as their cause. Just think of the hate some developed toward Islam and Muhammed following 9/11. Most of the hate came from people in America who'd never set foot in a Middle Eastern country, much less spent significant time in an area controlled by such extremists. Same thing here: if there was a war it wouldn't be surprising for many people on both sides to have lost loved ones to attacking armies.

And as for the heroes continuing to fall behind, all I can say is that they seem to still be pretty much the same as they were before. They may have realized a few truths that were hard to take, but their viewpoints don't seem to have shifted quite yet. Their meeting in itself kind of shows how blind they are to the idea that anyone else could be right. Yeah, I could see the argument that they're exaggeratedly behind and this makes Naofumi's party look good (or his party's growing at an exaggerated level making the others look bad) but honestly this isn't some silly fairy tale where the moment they realize they'd made a mistake they immediately change and overcome the problems that caused said mistake. It's more of the sort of realist, even cynical type of story where even if they accept their mistakes they're reluctant to accept responsibility and even more reluctant to accept that they need to actually change.
Closed Thread