Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-10-02, 16:12   Link #3381
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Well, I mis-communicated. I'm talking in terms of linguistic science that makes E->J more accurate than J->E in machine translators. That's actually what I meant. Of course for human translation, this statement does not necessary apply.
Hm, yeah, that does seem to be the case. I'm not sure if it's because there's been more research/work into the English side than the Japanese side (considering the large body of work done in English) or if there are other reasons.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 17:36   Link #3382
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Questions! Why does subber's have different translations of a particular anime?
Since Kylaran's all but exhausted this topic

I'm just gonna link two threads from the fansub forums on translation discussion for you to read up on and leave here for those wanting to learn more japanese

How to Become a Good Fan Translator - Guide
This dude deserves an Oscar for the most comprehensive guide to explaining what translation is about (for any language) and what it takes and is needed to be a decent one.
Love this link to death <3

Question about Fansub Translation
First question related to song translation, but better to put future questions in here

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 22:17   Link #3383
larethian

Great guide. I also love alc to death but it doesn't have everything I need. Though this guide seems to be more geared towards anime, which places a greater demand on listening skills and vocab. Manga will require more giongo and gitaigo, but can be researched. Novels will place a greater demand in thinking time, since the narration and descriptive sentences are more complicated than dialogue, especially when the authors are highly skilled. It's a little different for each of them, but imo, I think translating manga is the easiest. (hope I'm not going off-topic?)
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-02, 22:23   Link #3384
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatsu-chan View Post
tnx!......
here's some that i know but not sure...
hajimemashite-how do you do?
konbanwa-gudevening
konnichiwa-gudafternoon
ohayou-gudmorning
Correct, but you should polish up your English skills some more, hon.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 02:53   Link #3385
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Question: is there a proverb in Japan about "as calm as XXX"? In Japanese of course

The context is, for example about a human or an animal stay really calm when being stared at by his/its supposed enemy
^....just in case everyone missed my question...
Old 2011-10-03, 03:21   Link #3386
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
^....just in case everyone missed my question...
seems like you're doing some high level writing
sorry, I'm not at the level where I can pull out proverbs from my mind. perhaps, you might find this index of tools and resources useful:
http://www.j-net.org.uk/links.html
Old 2011-10-03, 12:00   Link #3387
Doraneko
The Owl of Minerva

How about "徐かなること林の如く"?

It is originally a quote from Sun Tzu's The Art of War (故其疾如風、其徐如林、侵掠如火、難知如陰、不動如山、動如雷霆。), which was later adopted and popularized in Japan by Takeda Shingen who used the line "疾きこと風の如く、徐かなること林の如く、侵略すること火の如く、動かざること山の如し", commonly referred to as "風林火山", on his battle flags.

Old 2011-10-03, 20:12   Link #3388
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraneko View Post
How about "徐かなること林の如く"?

It is originally a quote from Sun Tzu's The Art of War (故其疾如風、其徐如林、侵掠如火、難知如陰、不動如山、動如雷霆。), which was later adopted and popularized in Japan by Takeda Shingen who used the line "疾きこと風の如く、徐かなること林の如く、侵略すること火の如く、動かざること山の如し", commonly referred to as "風林火山", on his battle flags.
Not quite what i got in mind (somehow, i feels 徐かなること林の如く a bit too poetry, and philosophic for my specific context) but thank you anyway

I probably will just rid of that line, since it's not unreplaceable in my text
Old 2011-10-03, 22:43   Link #3389
Pink Cow
This is my title.

I have another question about Japanese. ^^;

As far as I know, "all" or "everything" is translated to ぜんぶ or すべて.
Now, my question is kinda like ばしょ and ところ.

Is there a difference between zenbu and subete?

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-03, 23:50   Link #3390
suki888

about money:
10000- jun sen yen
1000- sen yen
100 yen- hyaku yen
10 yen- ju yen
1 yen- itchi yen
suki888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 09:44   Link #3391
Qikz

I'm pretty sure 10000 is 1 man. Also yen is written just en (えん・円) in Japanese,
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 10:52   Link #3392
Edijs
Eddy

Send a message via MSN to Edijs
Hello im looking where to buy Genki I - Integrated Elementary Japanese but where i look it was very expensive , yes i have PDF version of that book its very good but hard to learn , and printing would be bad, becouse there is like ~400Pages in a Book + Workbook too :|
Anyone knows where i can buy it?
Spoiler for This is like first Exercise ''Greetings'' there were pics and writen in japanese so here can put...:
Edijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 13:31   Link #3393
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post

Hmmm actually I never thought about that before, though I sort of intuitively get the difference. Let me think... 全部 is... an adverb or a noun, I believe? While 全て is more like an adjective... I think. Hang on.

ここにある売品は全部100円です。
ここにある売品は全て100円です。

Hmm...

I think it might actually be more to do with the kinds of things you can count with them. Like ケーキを全部食べました is like "I ate all of the cake" where ケーキを全て食べました would be "I ate all of the cakes"... maybe? Actually the last one sounds a bit funny but maybe that's just me... I know they're different in some way, but I can't put my finger on it. ><
Old 2011-10-04, 23:44   Link #3394
Alchemist007
*Author

Anyone know of a good book that would go through a substantial amount of kanji? I liked the style of this particular book (Japanese The Written Language by Eleanor Jorden) which lists about 400 kanji in a manner like this: http://imgur.com/xCWUC

I found this to be effective but alas the book series only goes up to 400 kanji. So I will be in need of something more.
Old 2011-10-05, 01:49   Link #3395
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edijs View Post
Hello im looking where to buy Genki I - Integrated Elementary Japanese but where i look it was very expensive , yes i have PDF version of that book its very good but hard to learn , and printing would be bad, becouse there is like ~400Pages in a Book + Workbook too :|
Anyone knows where i can buy it?
Spoiler for This is like first Exercise ''Greetings'' there were pics and writen in japanese so here can put...:
Amazon has it for $60 new for the old edition, and $88 for the 2011 edition. My advice is to buy a used one. Are you going to use this book for self study, or are you just getting it for a class and you won't use it ever again? If the latter, then just buy the cheapest used one, trust me, as long as it has the same words inside, it'll work and save tons of money .

If you already have the PDF of the whole book, I'd say just stick with that, there's nothing of interest in the textbook that a PDF wouldn't have, except maybe the CD if you get the 2011 edition. Just buy the workbook if you need something to write in.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 05:23   Link #3396
Sylphic
KI NI NARIMASU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
ここにある売品は全部100円です。
ここにある売品は全て100円です。

Hmm...

I think it might actually be more to do with the kinds of things you can count with them. Like ケーキを全部食べました is like "I ate all of the cake" where ケーキを全て食べました would be "I ate all of the cakes"... maybe? Actually the last one sounds a bit funny but maybe that's just me... I know they're different in some way, but I can't put my finger on it. ><
The difference is pretty simple. What it means is the same, but the nuance is incredibly different.

ケーキをすべて食べました = I ate every cake in the world.
ケーキを全部たべました = I ate all the cakes (here).

Basically, すべて is pretty much never used in the examples listed above.

Otaku in Japan Daily Blog - [URL="www.ninjapan.org[/URL]
Sylphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 05:27   Link #3397
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphic View Post
The difference is pretty simple. What it means is the same, but the nuance is incredibly different.

ケーキをすべて食べました = I ate every cake in the world.
ケーキを全部たべました = I ate all the cakes (here).

Basically, すべて is pretty much never used in the examples listed above.
Just want to comment that your examples are especially hilarious when it goes along with your avatar
Old 2011-10-05, 06:34   Link #3398
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post

I can also throw in a "絶対" vs "必ず"

definitions:
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2...5%A8%E9%83%A8/
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/jn2...1%B9%E3%81%A6/

examples:
http://eow.alc.co.jp/%E5%85%A8%E9%83%A8/UTF-8/
http://eow.alc.co.jp/%E3%81%99%E3%81%B9%E3%81%A6/UTF-8/

some research:
http://bulo.hjenglish.com/question/163394/
http://lang-8.com/47463/journals/900...25EF%25BC%259F

My understanding is that it seems like most people (myself included until today), get the impression that すべて and 全部 are not entirely the same and used with different nuances. But if you go through every example on alc, すべて can be pretty much used where 全部 is used and vice versa, true to the definitions prescribed in the dictionary. Though I believe that the examples given by risingstar3110 can be ambiguous without a context and might be resolved by making the sentences more specific. Finally, it seems like the general consensus is that 全部 is used more in informal speech (and never appears in 'news' according to the quote from the person on lang8) and すべて is used in writing and formal speech (and never by children, it seems). Perhaps, only the academics can tell us whether they is any real difference between them.

I apologize if I missed something or made a mistake.
Old 2011-10-05, 07:01   Link #3399
Edijs
Eddy

Send a message via MSN to Edijs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
Amazon has it for $60 new for the old edition, and $88 for the 2011 edition. My advice is to buy a used one. Are you going to use this book for self study, or are you just getting it for a class and you won't use it ever again? If the latter, then just buy the cheapest used one, trust me, as long as it has the same words inside, it'll work and save tons of money .

If you already have the PDF of the whole book, I'd say just stick with that, there's nothing of interest in the textbook that a PDF wouldn't have, except maybe the CD if you get the 2011 edition. Just buy the workbook if you need something to write in.

Look here
Spoiler for Look Genki:

You see i dont know if its 2011 edition or older. Its bit hard to use those PDF all time roll down, roll up , thats way i want book to write something in it. and use when PC is OFF. Yes its for my self study
Edijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 19:08   Link #3400
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by suki888 View Post
about money:
10000- jun sen yen
1000- sen yen
100 yen- hyaku yen
10 yen- juu yen
1 yen- itchi yen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
I'm pretty sure 10000 is 1 man. Also yen is written just en (えん・円) in Japanese,
Yep, 10,000 = ichi man yen
100,000 = juu man yen
1,000,000 = hyaku man yean
etc

The easiest way to count is to remember that man = 0000 (4 zeros) and the rest is a cinch.
Phonetically, the Japanese unit should be written as 'en' so we're saying it the same way however in English it is written and said with a Y so either/or.

It get's fun when you start playing with even bigger mixed numbers though, time to kick in counting in 10s

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiragana