AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-10-16, 08:39   Link #101
Joe Dalton

For the love of god
Don't you people have a soul?

Watch this short gif and think about what you've done... MONSTERS!!!

Spoiler for slow framerate so wait it out damnit:
Joe Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 08:52   Link #102
Lathmeer

Lol faster way to run.

I would laugh my ass off if I ever saw the olympic running team run like that.
Lathmeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 09:42   Link #103
ninja massacre

Send a message via MSN to ninja massacre
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
After all ORO runs this way and he's powerful so Obviously it's the best way to run
Hmm, you mean in the Tsunade vs Oro fight?
I thought he was running like that because his arms was fucked by Sarutobi but I might be wrong...
ninja massacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 09:47   Link #104
Holy Knight
Time Bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja massacre
Hmm, you mean in the Tsunade vs Oro fight?
I thought he was running like that because his arms was fucked by Sarutobi but I might be wrong...
Thats what I thought too, but I guess that style of running caught on with the others...
Holy Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 09:57   Link #105
bricefabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Knight
Thats what I thought too, but I guess that style of running caught on with the others...
See, what's funny is that if you go way back to the episode when Kakashi is lying in a hospital bed and some Jounin or Chuunin accidentally slips and lets Sasuke know that his brother was in Konoha looking for Naruto, you'll see that when Sasuke runs off to look for Naruto, he uses BOTH running styles. When running around the streets of Konoha and the other village he searches, he uses the "no arm" style as someone has coined it, but when he goes back to his place (where Sakura happened to be at the time), he uses the normal way to run to the door... This is why I assumed that the animators like the no arm style for high speed and normal style for low or normal speed.
bricefabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 10:25   Link #106
Gon the Freec
1337 member ......

Wow this thread really does rovk :P
Sheesh cant any1 of you guys see the jounins shout to the genins RUN !!! RUN !!!!!
Gon the Freec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 12:10   Link #107
kiai
Wa-Gati-Mashita

I'll start by saying the first person who had the greatest impact on me in this thread was "A Lamer" with the first post I saw. Honorable mentions in this thread go to Genjing, bricefabber (when not chewing me out) and Hanabi.
The person who made the largest post also did the best at wrapping up the thread, "fieryshadowcard" where they tested and compared the two vs. ways of running and managed to describe them both. A big thank you to the person who said that this is of cultural Eastern origin actually.

If you would like to respond to "fieryshadowcard" you can go one page back to read that nice long style post. Some of my replies turned edgy because I spilled a drink on my keyboard so there was some tension but I allotted some good posts yesterday as you can see. This is a summary of the most meaningful exchanges I could see here and you need look no further or respond to other than what is shown in regards to this summary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lamer
original respone to naantje
There is no "fastest way" to run. You know why the human body auto-magically swings it's arms when it runs? Because its a subconscious habit/instinct/reflex to maintain balance. The faster you run, the more air resistance your entirely UNaerodynamic body receives.

From my point of view, its a combination of stealth, like typetenchi said (Seriously, do you know how much NOISE a long sleeve tshirt generates as you flap your chicken wings the "normal" way? Let alone multiple layers!) as well as balance. If you'll notice, they also lean forward a great deal. The speeds they typically run at help maintain their balance (see: air resistance) as well as the arms, which act sorta like sticking one arm or leg out when you cock your body to the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiai
Let me add a paragraph or so to this awesome observation.

At the end "A lamer says" they also lean foward a lot. Yes at this moment of break from directional change of momentum "a faster but quick" acceleration is gained.

Acceleration can also be gained by a half rate or so of what can be gained by aerodynamic lean acceleration even when starting from a standstill. And the speed is superb from a large number of vantage points once you begin to move.

excuse me while I add a third paragraph to this awesome point.

like in eagle styles you tip forward your balance so that your arms are under you but behind you at the same time. If you were to trip when moving fast at this stance you would "catch air" before you fell down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naantje
uh yeah, the body automaticly runs that way cuz it's the most efficient way to run, which translates to the best way to run. it's obvious u dont know jack about sprinting so please be quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Lamer
a secondary response to naantje
Firstly, I run 3 miles a day as excercise. I also was on the track and field team in highschool, so I think I know a little something about my body, and running. Second, what exactly is your "major" in which you seem to know so much? Third, have you even HEARD of other methods of running? Although you can't run at the speed of light, you CAN run quite proficiently using the method used in the anime, which is an ACTUAL form of running. Commenting about how its use in an anime = it is fictional just prove your ignorance on the subject.

Protip: Double -> dashing the "normal" way produces more speed, however it also uses more of your energy. Use -> "aerodynamic lean acceleration" for long distances.

Thanks to kiai for that term, I've never heard it in all my life. :P
Hmm Onegai Shimasu, & Arigatou ^_^
I did experience some moments of clarity yesterday as well. I definitely have saved what you have here to a printable file so I'll never forget what we've learned. It's the same how naruto literally "flew" when he tripped on the rock and soared onto the beach. At least to Sasuke it looked like Naruto was only flying since maybe Sasuke didn't see him hit a rock.

It is like in some Eastern eagle styles you tip forward your balance so that your arms are under you but behind you at the same time. If you were to trip when moving fast at this stance you would "catch air" before you fell down, allowing you to turn by leaning which ever way you need to in order to accelerate in a different direction or coast to a soft landing.

Last edited by kiai; 2004-10-16 at 14:24.
kiai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 13:02   Link #108
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieryshadowcard

-Conserves the energy utilized by the upper body, both in stamina, ab (cramp-wise) and arm output. Seems better for fighting (or saving up for one).
Well the human body is great, but hold your arms up in the air for a few minutes or hang them behind you like when they run, gettting tired?? :P That burns up quite a bit of energy, muscle energy isn't conserved :P We have to work to keep our arms like that...now if the drag is doing that to their arms, not that arrow dynamic. Let us hold our arms in front on our crotch and lean 45 degrees forward and break the world records!

*gets pelted by rocks*

They're ninjas and it looks cooler that way.
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 14:25   Link #109
kiai
Wa-Gati-Mashita

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hor
Well the human body is great, but hold your arms up in the air for a few minutes or hang them behind you like when they run, gettting tired?? :P That burns up quite a bit of energy, muscle energy isn't conserved :P We have to work to keep our arms like that...now if the drag is doing that to their arms, not that arrow dynamic. Let us hold our arms in front on our crotch and lean 45 degrees forward and break the world records!

*gets pelted by rocks*

They're ninjas and it looks cooler that way.
They only run that way since they are going so fast the air drift picts the arms up and blows them back.. That or gravity suits them to stick out if they are leaning towards the planet's center, or they falling and it still works like when Oro dove off the snake.

Tangent: I think maybe Sasuke did see the rock though. But at that point Sasuke saw where Naruto accelerated across the air after "tipping his weight forward, see leaning forward a lot" when tripping over the rock. Sasuke must have been thinking that even though Naruto hit the rock in a slight moment of pain that it made for an even far more impressive aerial display when he "leaned forward" directly afterwards and "slid through the air".

Last edited by kiai; 2004-11-02 at 05:55.
kiai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 14:50   Link #110
Gon the Freec
1337 member ......

Indeed well i think Naruto has power to overcome his rocks so please dont get too rocky
Old 2004-10-16, 19:27   Link #111
Joe Dalton

They should all just fly... much easyer
Joe Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 20:10   Link #112
Mezu
The Guardian

Keeping your arms like that, just makes the runner more aerodynamic since they get less drag, which many ppl have already said. It is not a real-life faster way to run because, if u pump ur arms when running, ur arms create momentum and drive u forward, overcoming the lack of aerodynamics. But in many Animes, u c ninjas or people running like this extremely fast, which indicates that this is an anime ninja technique that speeds the runner up.
Mezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 23:39   Link #113
aznpunk97

this reminds me, goku was running like that with his arms way back when he was training on that small little planet.

i believe he was chasing after that little monkey, was it bobo?

he sure picked up speed after a day or two.... lol
aznpunk97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 01:05   Link #114
Kovash
Why am I still here!?

Here is a crazy idea that only works in the Naruverse;

Instead of just channeling spare chakra to their lengs so they can run faster, the Ninja transfer the energy in their arms to their legs - kind of, re-directing their power and almost doubling their leg strength; because of this, their arms go limp and flap behind them as they run.

Kinda like what happened to Zabuza when Kakashi stabbed his arms and he ran at Gatou.

There, think about it
Kovash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 05:19   Link #115
Green²
It's bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hor
... Let us hold our arms in front on our crotch and lean 45 degrees forward and break the world records! ...
Are you talking about running styles here, or about killing kittens?

If the second, I mean, at least provide some material to help one shoot for the world's record...
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 05:47   Link #116
Gon the Freec
1337 member ......

Kittens......
Old 2004-10-17, 06:48   Link #117
IMSabbel

All joking aside, yes, that running style is slower in real life, but:
a) it looks cooler for some people (you could say that swirling you arm around in the air looks like you are a retard....)
b) try running with that conventional style while holding a weapon, if you dont have a sword or a tan/hanbo, just try a broomstick. Run with it in you hand and look what is faster... And which way you dont hit yourself, others or various objects that happen to be around... (not to mention that dragging the arms behind puts them in a good position to initiate an attack)
IMSabbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 06:53   Link #118
Gon the Freec
1337 member ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpunk97
this reminds me, goku was running like that with his arms way back when he was training on that small little planet.

i believe he was chasing after that little monkey, was it bobo?

he sure picked up speed after a day or two.... lol
The monkey was Bubbles the eternal APE !
Old 2004-10-17, 23:15   Link #119
chu

damn it if u ran like that in real life you would be so slow. You move your arms when you run because it displaces your body weight. The swinging motion actually decreases your total mass by 30%. Failure in moving your arms will result in a loss of balance and a LOW running speed. For you people who still think you run faster when you let your arms wobble behind you, I suggest you test this out... and for those who have tested this out and still disagree there's something wrong with you. Anime characters run like this solely to look pro and cause less noise.
chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 01:09   Link #120
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green²
Are you talking about running styles here, or about killing kittens?

If the second, I mean, at least provide some material to help one shoot for the world's record...
Oh, why mudering kittens of course. Sorry for the confusion :P
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote