3 out of 10 : Bad 1 2.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-06-06, 23:30   Link #141
dmaxzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Messer made messy and filled bucket with mess, only to be wiped & salted after death?

- Tak (we are so cruel)
Honestly, seeing the episode I was wondering that maybe the next Valkyrie model should have internal wipers in the canopy.
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-06, 23:30   Link #142
John117xCortana

Messar died the same way TV series Mikhail did. Except Messar's death is more brutal and theres nothing but mush left of him...
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 00:45   Link #143
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Damn realized two things. Kaname was resonating with Messer and she felt Messer's death.
Oh my god that makes it 10 time worse. Not only was she seeing hit and fall from the sky but felt the moment his life is snuffed out that is despair inducing. I hope Kaname will be alrightafter feeling something like that.

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2016-06-07 at 02:56.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 05:24   Link #144
Arya

RIP Messer! At least he had an honorable death. Also finally Kaname looked at him, even if for the last time. About the romance between them I don't know, surely Kaname and Arad are quite ill assorted, on the other hand Kaname and Messer never really interacted, that's why probably I never got into this one. What it seemed to me is that Kaname was really concerned by Messer, because that's how she is, as I said she gives some motherly vibes. But I never perceived any romantic tones. Even in this episode the main issue was not about romance, but him kicking the bucket while she knowing it. In any case, poor Kaname, she will be really sad.

Honestly the whole thing felt a bit contrived if you ask me, but it's a minor thing, I agree pretty much with this
Quote:
Originally Posted by ippus View Post
I will say though I feel like this whole scene (minus death) encompassed pretty much everything I wished I felt towards the Freya/Hayate powerup a few episodes back. While it's hard to really compare a backstory event next to characters who have only recently met, I think with Messer and Kaname there was a really logical set of events set in place to warrant the connection followed by the epic wind riding. Everything they did prior to that moment mattered to why the connection was reached...

Whereas the previous Hayate/Freya thing I felt lacked it, making it feel undeserved.
It worked pretty well this time for me too, so I'm fine.

What really made me a bit dubious from the start was how they meant to fight back the aerial knights without Messer. I mean, he was leaving in any case, and the skills of the rest of the squadron is quite subpar. yeah, they addressed it ina conversation, but regardless the gap is too wide to be filled by, say, Hayate going into bankai mode, I doubt if would be enough to hold Keith and the rest of the knights all alone. The more natural thing would be to have a new pilot. It would also be interesting to spice up the interactions between our main trio that are a bit slow to start. But from a mere logical point of view they need a substitute. And a skilled one.

about Hayate, I don't think he is your typical dense protagonist, but I agree that the vibes he gives are similar. I find him a bit bland/underdeveloped, not on the levels of Mirage, but not too far either.

And about Mirage, yeah, her reactions in this episode kinda didn't match much with her, but I agree with the explanations given. Still her awareness/interest in the matter seemed a bit sudden, but it's expected given the lack of exposure she had. I mean, I like her, but I can get people not liking her, since the show left her out, bar a couple of general traits of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
On the Japanese fan side, apparently this is the love triangle they've been talking about from episode 2, when we first got to see the opening sequence
I can see it, with Mirage being barely defined and the focus being mostly on Frejya, it hasn't been good for set up anything interesting on that front. I would expect more Frejya Hayate fans on the other hand, despite the romance-less approach.

In any case I'm looking forward to the next episode, with the hope they will surprise me. What I'm expecting is the Aerial Knights to retreat as usual or Hayate going into bankai mode already with Frejya singing. But given what happened I think it will be the former.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 05:30   Link #145
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

*screeches into oblivion*

Well, at least they literally killed off any hope of that relationship.
Old 2016-06-07, 05:49   Link #146
ReddyRedWolf

On another note anybody else disturbed by floating Jellyfish? How are they doing that? Some sort of biological anti-gravity?
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 06:01   Link #147
Arya

Well, disturbed is not the exact word, but they reminded me of sky/floating lanterns, and given the meaning they can be used for (if I'm not wrong is to honor, in memory of, dead persons) that felt quite ominous in its own way, even if the scene wasn't meant in that way. I didn't get it right away, but it added up regardless I think. If it was intentional it was well made.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 06:01   Link #148
lfhoule

Quote:
On another note anybody else disturbed by floating Jellyfish? How are they doing that? Some sort of biological anti-gravity?
And they're doing it as part of their reproduction cycle (laying eggs supposedly)... so the eggs float until the baby jellyfish are ready to hatch? Kawamori certainly has interesting takes in alien animal life forms...
lfhoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 08:15   Link #149
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I was slightly disturbed. They certainly looked beautiful, but I know how some species of real-life jellyfish are deadly and quite nasty. I couldn't help but feel slightly worried for Mikumo as that large group of jellyfish was floating right by her.
Old 2016-06-07, 08:25   Link #150
Karutaku

You know... It is possible that Keith's laser hit a box of kurage manjuu (or a can of pineapple juice) in Messer's cockpit and that is what exploded and created all that splatter
Karutaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 09:19   Link #151
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I was slightly disturbed. They certainly looked beautiful, but I know how some species of real-life jellyfish are deadly and quite nasty. I couldn't help but feel slightly worried for Mikumo as that large group of jellyfish was floating right by her.
Given that Mikumo was just kind of hanging out underwater with no scuba gear or gills or anything, I guess she wasn't all that concerned about jellyfish either...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 17:35   Link #152
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Considering Reina eats them live and raw they are not poisonous.
Old 2016-06-07, 22:35   Link #153
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
They certainly looked beautiful, but I know how some species of real-life jellyfish are deadly and quite nasty.
Many more species aren't though. Also, jellyfish is eaten in Chinese and Japanese cuisine - I actually managed to eat some as maki topping.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-07, 23:16   Link #154
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Given that Mikumo was just kind of hanging out underwater with no scuba gear or gills or anything, I guess she wasn't all that concerned about jellyfish either...
Yeah, Mikumo can stop missiles, I'm sure that she can deal with some alien jellyfish.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-08, 05:37   Link #155
ReddyRedWolf

One thing different in Messer from Roy, Kinryu and Michael is that he isn't a womanizer.
Old 2016-06-08, 09:38   Link #156
magnuskn

Kakizaki wasn't and that didn't save him, either.
Old 2016-06-08, 14:36   Link #157
Mistyclear

Quote:
One thing different in Messer from Roy, Kinryu and Michael is that he isn't a womanizer.
If I remember correctly didn't Kinryu actually survive?
Mistyclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-08, 16:45   Link #158
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistyclear View Post
If I remember correctly didn't Kinryu actually survive?
Nope he died.
Old 2016-06-08, 17:49   Link #159
ryllharu

Personally, I've found the air-to-air combat in Delta to be incredibly unsatisfying. This episode was no exception. I still don't feel we've gotten even one truly proper Itano Circus.

The camera angles are wrong or bland at best, there's been no real tension to the dogfights (except Hayate finally finding his wind), and it's lacking that particular sensation of amazement and complete polish that Macross has had ever since Plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
So is Mikumo an android harboring Sharon Apple 2.0 or not? She had a mask on before when Walküre was down their testing if the ruins were responsive, but when no one else is around to see her...she doesn't bother. The ruins aren't exactly close to the surface.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-08, 17:54   Link #160
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
So is Mikumo an android harboring Sharon Apple 2.0 or not? She had a mask on before when Walküre was down their testing if the ruins were responsive, but when no one else is around to see her...she doesn't bother. The ruins aren't exactly close to the surface.
Singing underwater without a mask probably doesn't give good results.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote