AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-09, 17:57   Link #881
RoboMambo

In Power Rangers (the limit of my super sentai knowledge) yellow is mostly female, although there are a few male ones. So yeah, there are good chances of Mari being yellow, and she also has an attitude fit for being the sixth ranger. Maybe she'll even get her own robot.
RoboMambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 18:32   Link #882
rcaladlr

I really wish they'd go out of the Sentai format/team.

I liked it better when he was Kamen Rider.
rcaladlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 18:47   Link #883
SeaDoor

Never got into any sentai series because I found them annoying. Now the longer we are asked to follow along with this nonsense, my expectation for a payoff is growing and if this goes on too much longer the bill will be too big to pay.

At this rate, I half expect them to launch their super robot into space to battle a galactic fleet only to discover that the invaders can defeated by the power of song... no no no... That could mean that Mari turns out to be Lin Minmei's distant ancestor... no no NO...
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 18:51   Link #884
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoor View Post
Expect them to launch their super robot into space to battle a galactic fleet only to discover that the invaders can defeated by the power of song... no no no... That could mean that Mari turns out to be Lin Minmei's distant ancestor... no no NO...
No, no, she has to be the a descendant of the leaf eater from Macross 7. Gotta use all song energy to make the world warmer!
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-09, 20:29   Link #885
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I largely enjoyed the newepisode. The meta-humor was rich and clever as usual, and the episode did a good job of tying it into character development.

I was honestly impressed with just how much they managed to pack into this one episode, when it came to character development and focus. The Flamen Rangers were very nicely developed (both as a team, and as individual characters) in just their second episode on-screen together, and the new episode managed this while still finding time for most of the key characters from the first half. Speaking of which, I'm glad that Mari and the Flamenco Girls are still around.

To be fair, this probably isn't very entertaining for those who found shows like Power Rangers too cheesy to get into. And I myself prefer Samurai Flamenco as more of a solo Kamen Rider-esque hero. What we're seeing now is good, in my opinion, but it doesn't hit the same high drama/suspense notes for me as Samurai Flamenco vs. King Torture did. Torture may have been less flashy than these latest villains, but he was also more charismatic, and more nuanced, with greater screen-presence. I hope this show eventually hits another villain as high quality as he.

Still, I continue to see signs of impressive care and meticulousness in the writing. Every scene in the latest episode served a purpose, and they all helped to flesh out characters, character relationship dynamics, and/or forward the plot. The economical use of time is one of Samurai Flamenco's real strengths.

One particular nice touch I liked was Hazama telling that guy to stop smoking in the no smoking area. It's nice to see that even after "hitting it big", Hazama hasn't lost sight of those little everyday laws that once captured his focus in the earlier episodes.

My biggest disappointment is not seeing more fallout between Hazama and Sumi Ishihara. I was kind of hoping to see her really lay into him for lying to her all this time, but that apparently either happened off camera or never happened at all. While its good that Sumi appears to be adjusting well to Hazama being a superhero star celebrity, I think it's a bit strange to not show her totally blowing up at him at least once.

The key thing I see with this show is escalation. Things just seem to keep escalating to bigger, grander stages and bigger, greater threats. And yet, at the same time, the more things escalate the more generic the enemies feel. It's an odd correlation.

I do think that everything happening is "for real", but I can't shake this nagging suspicion that the narrative is gradually building up to a big reveal. Things continue to seem kinda believable but also kinda off. Of course, that could just be a side-effect of the meta-humor, I don't know.

In any event, it's great to see more Samurai Flamenco, and I'm definitely looking forward to more.
Old 2014-01-10, 00:58   Link #886
Esclair

Mari is now living out of Gotou's closet like Doraemon Gotou's girlfriend has to be imaginary, because there's no way Gotou could even think about having another girl live with him while he's still attached. All the meta jokes were hilarious and it looks like the writers seem to know what they're doing.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 02:42   Link #887
ArrowSmith

This is an obvious send-up to the Power Rangers/Voltron stuff.
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 04:35   Link #888
ginger02

I like the humor and comedy, but i feel it would work better if people weren't dying left and right.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 04:56   Link #889
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
This episode had an incredibly high amount of meta humor, too many things to list.
The banter about not playing fair ("it's okay if it's for justice!"), the extra pieces of mecha with an inconvenient design. Or the super girly ways of Flamen Pink, randomly talking about love in the middle of a battle.

Speaking of which, the other four Flamengers are very exaggerated views of Sentai archetypes. And even their civilian names are their colors, an old trope played to an unsubtle extreme here. Masayoshi is the odd man out on every front in the team, which can be seen as another trope, but instead it adds to my suspicion that something is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMambo View Post
In Power Rangers (the limit of my super sentai knowledge) yellow is mostly female, although there are a few male ones. So yeah, there are good chances of Mari being yellow, and she also has an attitude fit for being the sixth ranger. Maybe she'll even get her own robot.
Power Rangers is known for changing the gender of many male Yellow rangers. All Sentai considered, Yellow is pretty much evenly shared by guys and girls alike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I do think that everything happening is "for real", but I can't shake this nagging suspicion that the narrative is gradually building up to a big reveal. Things continue to seem kinda believable but also kinda off. Of course, that could just be a side-effect of the meta-humor, I don't know.
Whatever the reveal is, i think Goto and his gf are the key. Why is she so worried about Masayoshi's well-being? She mentioned his eyes becoming different, she wonders if he's having fun..

I have a theory, but i don't like it, so i'll keep it to myself for now. It's maybe too David Lynch-ian for this anime.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 05:58   Link #890
Aqua Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post

Whatever the reveal is, i think Goto and his gf are the key. Why is she so worried about Masayoshi's well-being? She mentioned his eyes becoming different, she wonders if he's having fun..

I have a theory, but i don't like it, so i'll keep it to myself for now. It's maybe too David Lynch-ian for this anime.
This makes me feel even stronger about the theory that Goto's gf is Masayoshi's manager - Ishihara.

Also this episode has a very nostalgic feel due to old characters recurring and Masayoshi getting his old helmet back.

Black Ranger is so badass with these sniping skills

And new OP and ED rock ( though they didn't prepare the animation for it yet according to their twitter account )
Old 2014-01-10, 06:13   Link #891
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

The current episode seems more light-hearted with meta-humors than how it was. Really liked the interaction between the Flamengers and the 'documentary' about them. I'm surprised that Momoi (Flamen Pink) has a boyfriend. Speaking of boyfriend, am I the only one who suspect she could be Goto's GF?

Now, even if Masayoshi being very popular as a superhero celebrity in the eyes of public audiences, he hasn't lost sight of who he was, just like the beginning of the series. But the difference here is, people began to look up on him instead of look him down as some freak, which is quite interesting to see the changes on how the public think of Masayoshi after when he was announced as a hero by making a contrast with the beginning & the current state. However, for those who still think Masayoshi has become a 'sellout' to his personal identity in favor of joining the Flamengers, maybe they need to re-think again, since the title is still Samurai Flamenco. So, maybe there is a chance that Masayoshi would go and fight the greater evil on his own in the future. Maybe nake it better than King Torture fight. I personally think the Kamen-esque is better than sentai on a certain degree, but I don't mind watching a Power Ranger-esque series. Either way, we'll see how things going.

I'm surprised that Ishihara wasn't mad at Masayoshi being a superhero, which I was expecting she was. Maybe she had a lot of questions to ask him about his aspiration that was long hidden from her.

And for Mari, I think she don't want to run into Masayoshi for a reason. Still look down on herself? Geez, cheer up, girl. Everyone make mistakes.

However... there's one more thing is missing... Ah yes, Flamen Yellow. Mari! I want you to join the Flamengers and become Flamen Yellow! >:{

Wouldn't be a surprise if Mari eventually become Flamen Yellow. And it'll be interesting to see this coming, with Masayoshi being her master.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 06:39   Link #892
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
The current episode seems more light-hearted with meta-humors than how it was. Really liked the interaction between the Flamengers and the 'documentary' about them. I'm surprised that Momoi (Flamen Pink) has a boyfriend. Speaking of boyfriend, am I the only one who suspect she could be Goto's GF?
Isn't it implied her "darling" is Kaname? I'm not sure now, but i think she called him like that in episode 11, to Masayoshi's surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
And new OP and ED rock ( though they didn't prepare the animation for it yet according to their twitter account )
Ah, so that was it. i thought that maybe they were holding it out to avoid spoiling some new twist.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 07:31   Link #893
MK-95-
Rookie Cop

Quote:
Isn't it implied her "darling" is Kaname? I'm not sure now, but i think she called him like that in episode 11, to Masayoshi's surprise.
Yea, her "darling" is Joji. It was pretty specific she was refering to him in this episode.

Quote:
Ah, so that was it. i thought that maybe they were holding it out to avoid spoiling some new twist.
Yea, the OP & ED songs are nice. When doesn't FLOW rock? Yea, the in-universe idol group also did the new ED. It was good, but I honestly liked the first one more.

The animation sequence may be awesome, we'll just have to wait & see.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 07:33   Link #894
kuromitsu

This episode was great. Haters gonna hate (and man, do they ever...). In general I still think the show is doing very well. Great meta humor which should be enjoyable to people who are not tokusatsu fans (I guess it does expect the viewers to be at least somewhat familiar with tokusatsu tropes, not that this is a problem in Japan of all places), and actual characterization, and awkward-looking robots, yesss. New OP/ED are okay, and it's good to know that there will be a proper OP sequence.

Quote:
Speaking of which, the other four Flamengers are very exaggerated views of Sentai archetypes. And even their civilian names are their colors, an old trope played to an unsubtle extreme here.
I loved how they don't really take it seriously when Blue grouses about Masayoshi (aka Red), because that's what a Blue is supposed to do with Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero8420 View Post
I'm surprised that Momoi (Flamen Pink) has a boyfriend. Speaking of boyfriend, am I the only one who suspect she could be Goto's GF?
No, her "darling" is Kaname, she called him that in the previous ep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Knight View Post
This makes me feel even stronger about the theory that Goto's gf is Masayoshi's manager - Ishihara.
But they already met in episode 2(?) and didn't recognize each other, so...

Fyi, apparently there was an interview in Animage where the writer(?) said that Gotou's girlfriend is a bit like Lt. Columbo's wife, although this doesn't mean that she won't ever show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
I like the humor and comedy, but i feel it would work better if people weren't dying left and right.
But "people" are not dying, only the bad guy monsters, and we have established earlier that they don't really count. (Another stroke of genius.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 16:27   Link #895
Vash1306
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
This episode was great. Haters gonna hate (and man, do they ever...). In general I still think the show is doing very well. Great meta humor which should be enjoyable to people who are not tokusatsu fans (I guess it does expect the viewers to be at least somewhat familiar with tokusatsu tropes, not that this is a problem in Japan of all places), and actual characterization, and awkward-looking robots, yesss. New OP/ED are okay, and it's good to know that there will be a proper OP sequence.

I loved how they don't really take it seriously when Blue grouses about Masayoshi (aka Red), because that's what a Blue is supposed to do with Red.

Fyi, apparently there was an interview in Animage where the writer(?) said that Gotou's girlfriend is a bit like Lt. Columbo's wife, although this doesn't mean that she won't ever show up.

But "people" are not dying, only the bad guy monsters, and we have established earlier that they don't really count. (Another stroke of genius.)
What about the police that died when the King Torture thing started. And in the recent episode, a police man frozen and shattered.
Vash1306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 16:58   Link #896
Frontier

I just chalk up Guillotine Gorilla to be a From Beyond Kaijin instead of one of Tortures. Tortures Kaijin after Gorilla never killed anyone, but From Beyonds have actually been far more effective.
Old 2014-01-10, 19:04   Link #897
Kumagawa

Quote:

A police officer and a girl were both frozen and shattered on screen and it's mentioned that at every dot of the 5 circles they had appeared and killed people.
Kumagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 21:38   Link #898
ginger02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumagawa View Post
A police officer and a girl were both frozen and shattered on screen and it's mentioned that at every dot of the 5 circles they had appeared and killed people.
Yeah this is what I meant.

There were the officers earlier, but that served a purpose. Some random citizens too when that poison monster grew in the last episode.
I swear that stupid gorilla still leaves me with a knot in my stomach.

And i still think Goto's GF is the evil mastermind behind all of this.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-10, 23:41   Link #899
Xero8420
Ashigara's master

Quote:
Quote:
So Momoi's "darling" is Director Kaname, eh? And was mentioned in the previous episode? OK, I missed that.

And one more thing I'm curious, again... Do people still think Masayoshi a freak that kills the show? And why people sees Goto as their 'savior' of the show? Kindly enlighten me.
Xero8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-11, 00:05   Link #900
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I wish Momoi would turn into a Flamenco Girl. We need someone to show those precures how to really befriend things!

Tags
action, noitamina