Old 2007-12-08, 20:25   Link #201
LuniNeko
Humble Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandy View Post
you're never too old to watch any type of anime
heck i watch animes that are not even suppose to be for my age when i was 10
I saw FLCL when I was 10.

Anyway, I agree with everybody else: You're never to old to watch anime.
LuniNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-08, 20:27   Link #202
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I say you're not too old to watch anime until you're dead.

Last edited by Spectacular_Insanity; 2007-12-09 at 04:49.
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-08, 22:34   Link #203
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniNeko View Post
I saw FLCL when I was 10.

Anyway, I agree with everybody else: You're never to old to watch anime.
Ah I remember animes that I watched when I was 10, I think in English it was called Battle Angel
and 3x3 Eyes. Those anime pretty much scared the crap out of me and well I am still afraid of it. I saw little bit of Ah! My Goddess and well being 10 I didn't understand lot of the stuff . And yeah your seriously never too old to watch anime (or too young for that matter for me anyhow).
Old 2007-12-08, 23:13   Link #204
Sirth
Command of the Revenants

Send a message via AIM to Sirth Send a message via MSN to Sirth
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
want to screw with a lttle kid's brain, make him watch the dirty backstabbing world where things aren't black or white

If there's something kids SHOULDN'T watch it's crap like that including (reality) soaps and the news
(hell, adults should stop watching that crap)
I almost think I'd let my future kids watch Kanon a million or so years before I'd let them watch Jerry Springer. At any age. Maybe a billion. Mushishi or Kamichu would come first though, or maybe Haibane Renmei. All four'd expand their minds anyway.

Before you say anything, keep in mind I watched Hunt for Red October, repeatedly, when I was 3 or 4. This was after watching a Winnie the Pooh movie constantly the year prior.
I apparently hummed the opening song from Red October, too. Or maybe it was the Russian song...
Sirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 01:25   Link #205
Altema
Simple

Send a message via AIM to Altema
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnysailormoon View Post
When I worked at EarthLink (which used to be here in California) ...I plastered anime posters all over my cubicle and that didn't change even when I was in the marketing department and worked 2 down from the CEO. I don't think having a job means you have to hide it. But I'm kind-of scary in the workplace too, so people probably didn't know what to think of me.

"You screwed this up again! I can't believe you! Don't you know that millions of dollars are at stake? Go fix it! NO, I'm not giving you a promo code for this, it's not ready you didn't even fill out the date? How do you expect this to get done on time? You're always dropping the ball!" *behind me is a cut picture of Sailor Moon*

ROFL...yeah...good times. ^_^
Your work place probably isn't "conservative" as what I am thinking of. I was thinking of something along the lines of banking, accounting, etc. You never ever see posters or something flashy in a place where you have to meet with clients. At least in the industry I am referring to.

I like how there is like almost no discussion about the social acceptability of anime D:. Everyone is just responding to the title of the thread .
Altema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 05:23   Link #206
Helgen
Abstract

Age shouldn't apply to what someone watches or reads, but age should certainly apply to maturity, and I don't think anyone is less mature because of their viewing and reading choices.
Helgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-09, 05:52   Link #207
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

If you are 203 and you are still watching it, then its too Old.

I researched on this topic and it is definitly 203 years old .
Old 2007-12-09, 08:46   Link #208
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

IMHO, depends on what you're watching. Anime is, afterall, simply a medium just like literature and film. What defines the substance that a work has is its content.

I would say that even 14 is too old to seriously enjoy Hello Kitty. However, put a 16 year old and a 61 year old into a dark room, then show them Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. I'm pretty sure they'd both be equally creeped out.

As for "social acceptability", there really isn't very much to say IMO. Society has labeled anime "for kids" and there is little we can do to change that very fast.
Old 2007-12-10, 14:26   Link #209
Dxon
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
IMHO, depends on what you're watching. Anime is, afterall, simply a medium just like literature and film. What defines the substance that a work has is its content.

I would say that even 14 is too old to seriously enjoy Hello Kitty. However, put a 16 year old and a 61 year old into a dark room, then show them Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. I'm pretty sure they'd both be equally creeped out.

As for "social acceptability", there really isn't very much to say IMO. Society has labeled anime "for kids" and there is little we can do to change that very fast.
Now thats some speech! You just described the same things i was thinking.
I watched Higurashi no Naku Koro ni when I was 14. Is that bad? I was freaked out about it. But I also somehow find it funny. When I was 14 I also watched Elfen Lied. Great stuff Those are both 18+ series but I didnt care.
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 14:32   Link #210
Altema
Simple

Send a message via AIM to Altema
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helgen View Post
Age shouldn't apply to what someone watches or reads, but age should certainly apply to maturity, and I don't think anyone is less mature because of their viewing and reading choices.
That's true, but society isn't the same. You are viewed as less mature if you make it obvious to people that you watch cartoons.
Altema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 16:01   Link #211
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
want to screw with a lttle kid's brain, make him watch the dirty backstabbing world where things aren't black or white

If there's something kids SHOULDN'T watch it's crap like that including (reality) soaps and the news
(hell, adults should stop watching that crap)
Adults should stop watching the news?
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-10, 17:13   Link #212
JustInn14
moo

There is no age limit. You should have known that by now!
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 00:54   Link #213
zoot

How old is too old to read books?
zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 01:25   Link #214
gh0stmice
*Artist

i totally think im getting to old for anime...sad as it is....i see the characters living lives which i wish i could live...thats probably gets most people hooked....

i work as a PC technician, which is the most boring job of all....and when im home by myself i just would like to watch characters in some far off fantasy world living lives of action and romance...but i think its time to face the real world...

and to add to my drama, i had a girl over my apartment and she went to check her myspace on my computer(totally without asking) and i left my documents folder in the taskbar....*sigh*
she saw my hundreds of anime, OVAs, and manga...even after making dinner and watching garden state(my "gettin lucky" movie)i knew i was destined for a date with my hand that night...she pretended not to notice the gargantuin and gratuitous amounts of anime...but from the spacy and confused look on her face i knew....i havent been able to call her again...(to embarssed)...anime was always my "secret" indulgence....but after that ordeal i figured i might be to old for cartoons (btw im 19) ....thou im procrastinating im gonna delete everything soon....so that situation never happens again and so i wont be tempted into watching it anymore and get into the routine of a regular life *sigh*.....its for the best

what got me suckered into anime was "3x3 eyes"....what a bad ass series...
gh0stmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 02:42   Link #215
Dxon
Inactive Member

Proves once again that people frown upon anime watchers..
Dxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 03:55   Link #216
gh0stmice
*Artist

its really sad that i have to keep it a secret.....

but i do have to say thou most of the kids in the anime club in my highschool were absolute dorks...and i dont want to be lumped in the same group as them...cause im super shallow like that....

what we need is a celebrity who likes anime and we need him to come out his manga filled closet and give a better representation of anime viewers...example- pot belly pigs for pets is kool cause george clooney has one....we need a bad ass like brad pitt to go on oprah, MTV, and TNT and proclaim his undieing love for anime...we need a celebrity representative

instead we get geeks running in the streets with their manga practically cascading out their black "trench coat" pockets (on a serious note...wtf...people that where trench coats as a "fad" make me wanna join a cult and drink the koolaid) no offense (well i dont think i can get away with saying "no offense" after that statement)....

i mean for real why can't Wesley Snipes or Samuel L. Jackson be into anime....well billy bob thorton did the dubbs for "princess mononoke" but that still isn't enough...

i think im gonna write "in-touch" or "cosmo" and tell them to write a story on celebs that are into anime....

P.S.....for the kids that run throu the hallways wearing trench coats....for real...gimmie your name and address and i will buy you a new jacket.....i never want to see another "neo" wanna-be for the rest of my life.....i want trench coats to die...(unless its cold and its practical...but other than that die!!!)
gh0stmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 05:49   Link #217
Valashu

Im beginning to expirience people around me who think i should do something thats meets u with there standards like: football or model building. Those are the times I think who are they to judge an hobby/interest? Just because people in general thinks anime is for kids or bad for youre social life. Indeed as stated earlier these are the mostly the people who didnt experience the game/anime rising in the late 70's. But ofcourse there are people my age who says the same thing because there interest are different. and anime isnt really a an general interest so you try to explain anime with examples everyone knows, like DBZ. But then ofcourse im giving the wrong idea.
Its quite troublesome but as for the topic. Im collecting and watching anime at external HDs. And i will continue to do so untill im not interested anymore, so i guess around the time my eyes shuts down. And by the time I have kids, I can show them some classics
Valashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 07:18   Link #218
Sirth
Command of the Revenants

Send a message via AIM to Sirth Send a message via MSN to Sirth
Guess I'm lucky I found a teacher that supported my love for anime. Hell, he even had me write a paper on the history of it all, and whatever details I could find (It was supposed to replace an assignment I couldn't do due to lack of transportation and time.). Apparently, it was so good, I got extra credit on it.
Hell, even the rest of my Japanese class didn't bat an eyelash at me for it. I even lent the born again Christian my copy of Mushishi. They at least watched 3 before time constraints, but found it different. Tried to get them to watch Haibane Renmei, but further time loss prevented them from watching it. Course, she's been to Japan, so she probably didn't care.

The only negative person I found was my father. And if I start talking about the more mature ones, like Mushishi, he'll probably forget it.
Sirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 08:07   Link #219
HASHIRIYA
legend in my spare time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stmice View Post
i totally think im getting to old for anime...sad as it is....i see the characters living lives which i wish i could live...thats probably gets most people hooked....

i work as a PC technician, which is the most boring job of all....and when im home by myself i just would like to watch characters in some far off fantasy world living lives of action and romance...but i think its time to face the real world...

and to add to my drama, i had a girl over my apartment and she went to check her myspace on my computer(totally without asking) and i left my documents folder in the taskbar....*sigh*
she saw my hundreds of anime, OVAs, and manga....i havent been able to call her again...(to embarssed)...anime was always my "secret" indulgence....but after that ordeal i figured i might be to old for cartoons (btw im 19) ....thou im procrastinating im gonna delete everything soon....so that situation never happens again and so i wont be tempted into watching it anymore and get into the routine of a regular life *sigh*.....its for the best
soft, why should it be a secret (besides you don't even know what her secrets are). if she can't understand it thats her problem not yours. I've got it on my car and my gf has it on her bike, if anyone asks why its there i tell em. tho i do know watch ya mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh0stmice View Post
its really sad that i have to keep it a secret.....
but i do have to say thou most of the kids in the anime club in my highschool were absolute dorks...and i dont want to be lumped in the same group as them...cause im super shallow like that....
yep totally know where your come from with this half the reason (more like the complete reason) i don't go to certain lans. plus being surrounded by a bunch of people don't step out side at all and believe that 'dating' a pixie dwarf over WoW actually amounts for something (dude it could be your dad), scares the be jeepers outta me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valashu View Post
Im beginning to expirience people around me who think i should do something thats meets u with there standards like: football or model building.anymore
F@#$ football.

genre changes with age, anime is my relaxation time definitely not my main interest. but i'd rather watch something like FLCL (again) than say american dad any day of the week
HASHIRIYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-11, 09:12   Link #220
JustInn14
moo

Quote:
than say american dad any day of the week

THAT"S the problem! MOST People Will just watch what-ever makes them laugh. Even if it's pure crap, like American Dad.
JustInn14 is offline   Reply With Quote