AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-01-04, 06:18   Link #4881
Joneleth
Blue Wizard

Send a message via MSN to Joneleth
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post

Spoiler for Ep6 Erika's existence:
Dlanor should join forces with Battler.
Joneleth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 06:34   Link #4882
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I'd really like to be able to create a side of myself in which I'm diligent and never procrastinate.
Oh its easy. Just get a big white board, hang it at the end of your bed so that you will see it every morning you get up. Before going to sleep, always write on it that "XXX is another me. XXX is very diligent. XXX is the best in the world. XXX can solve anything within given time. XXX is as perfect as anyone can get. I am XXX." You can take it slowly, upscale it day by day, or just keep at it with a number of such statements. Pass through them everyday, ensure you don't doubt them (it will be difficult at first but as long as you suppress the desire to go "oh fuck that, like that's true", it will slowly become easier to accept it) and then, I guarantee that within a month or two, you will have a side of yourself that is diligent and doesn't even procrastinate. In order to make your other side believable, you can set a few conditions for him to activate (like only when it has to do with you being before lots of people). And use the name you prefer the most (or the on you find most dependable, these two aren't always the same) in place of XXX.

This trick is used by all humans, its known as hypnotism (add the self if you want but the original word for hypnotism, Sammohan in Sanskrit, means to take control of yourself, the subject is but a means to achieve self-control). How else do you think actors manage to act and magicians manage to pull off their tricks before hundred of people with a straight face?
Forsaken_Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 09:26   Link #4883
artirian

Spoiler for About Natsuhi baby:
artirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 09:31   Link #4884
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneleth View Post
Dlanor should join forces with Battler.
and have Dlanor stab him in the back? FULLY support!

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 09:43   Link #4885
Kaiba

Quote:
Also, Battler being the culprit is one of the possible solutions that exists within the story. It is pointed out by the story and there are hints to it, otherwise the blue truths won't even exist. It is within the story and not from out of the blue that I claimed he was a culprit. Heck, Battler used it himself -_- And since the game hasn't concluded yet, there are many culprits at this moment (Schrodinger's Cat Box). For instance, within the last 5 pages or so, I have branded Shkanon, Battler and Jessica culprits and all of the theories hold their forte within the game.
This once goes back to what I'm saying for you, in that you seem to think that any theory that is not destroyed by the red truths is acceptable, which is clearly not true by Episode 5. Or if you think that way, since Erika didn't know the red truth of Ushiromiya Natsuhi is not the culprit, do you think her actions were justified and the trial was fair? As I've already stated: you're thinking just like Erika, particularly with your obsession in distrusting anything and everything that's not stated in red, and this is not a good thing.

Quote:
Yep, Shanontrice and Shkanon aren't equivalent but Shanontrice doesn't really have much evidence to itself, any evidence that points at Shanontrice points at Shkanon in a stronger manner.
Wut.
As someone who argues in favor of Shannontrice but hates, hates Shkanon, I massively disagree with this concept and argue that there is quite a bit of evidence in favor of the theory. Some examples like the fact that the two did indeed like each other in the past (Jesus, have you not heard of the pony theory at all?), combined with the fact that it's very heavily implied that Battler's sin was a broken promise towards Beatrice in Episode 5 (something which contradicts your theory) and Shannon's oddities in her death in Episode 1, which there have been tons of arguments over here.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 09:47   Link #4886
chounokoe

Send a message via MSN to chounokoe
[QUOTE=Forsaken_Infinity;2852258]Only bring in things that has already been concretely established or at least very strongly hinted at.[quote]

Well you're not exactly following that example when introducing a theory where Battler is the culprit when it was at least established on a plot-basis that Ushiromiya has not commited murder and that he is the detective in the first 4 games.

I know you don't like believing in the relationship between author and reader, but it is not like you implied only about 'the author being nice', it is about the author loosing the trust of his readers if he were to introduce a Logic Error within his own story.
If at one point we were to learn what you implied
Quote:
Virgilia's red applies to a different Battler from the one who gets most of the screen time. I could even make this red with the evidence that Battler brandishes himself the culprit in Episode 5 Ura without any ramification.
then many readers (including me) would loose their trust in the author and stop thinking, because anything could be a lie and be aimed solely at the act of lying to us.
And as far as I remember Battler only introduced the possibility of him being the boy from 19 years ago, who has a grudge against Natsuhi, he never shouldered the crime of MURDER with any of his claims. With that he only gives power to Natsuhi's alibi, he does not brandish himself the culprit.

The culprit is very well possible to be the univited guest, the '18th person',
Spoiler for Episode 6:

Quote:
If a theory is already plausible at the moment, the author can turn it into the only possible (and very appreciable) solution with no more than one sentence. Therefore, stop saying things like "I don't think that works" because it might.
Of course he can do that and he will do that, that is not the problem within this frame. The problem is, that a theory can very well be graded more or less possible on a certain scale.
Every theory has it rights, but only as long as it doesn't contradict the natural flow of a work of fiction...following that thought, of course, even the author can be wrong and there are few genre where this happens as often as in detective fiction (maybe only in fantasy). Every author can force a story in a frame later on and throw certain plot-elements out of the window in favor of his theory with the claim 'it was there to distract'. But that isn't good writing and especially Episode 6 shows that Ryukishi's aim is above many things, to challenge us but also to make it solvable.

And don't forget the one thing that keeps reappearing and is the key to many mysteries:
Spoiler for Episode 6:
Old 2010-01-04, 11:51   Link #4887
Raneh
Storyteller

I remembered the previous interview with Ryukishi and he said this:
Spoiler for interview:

Did anyone notice what a red text that could've been this hint? As far as I remember most reds in this Ep were confirmations about the closed room mystery. Maybe this has something to do with the person count at the end? It's certainly something that was never discussed after Beato said that there are no more than 17 people on the island.
Old 2010-01-04, 12:46   Link #4888
scwizard
Starcraft Wizard

Ach, I can't believe I didn't realize Shkanon earlier. Going back and reading over previous episodes, Battler never sees them both together. Battler never sees both of their corpses (he never sees Kanon's corpse period). There's no way 07 is doing this by accident.

Also this makes Shkanon dressing up as Beatrice is pretty much guaranteed. In the first game it is impossible for the person in the witch costume who shoots Natsuhi to be anyone other than Shkanon.

I'm looking forward to future episodes, because they'll come up with an explanation for this madness other than EVERYONE IS CRAZY LOL. The Kinzo being dead and that fact being hidden from people was explained pretty elegantly in episode five. Really hoping to get an explanation for George and Jessica not realizing the truth as one besides "they're dumb lol."

Perhaps one of them knowing, but working with Shkanon to hide it? Maybe George is in to traps or something? Which would explain why his relationship with Shannon has more of a forbidden air to it than Jessica's relationship.
scwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 13:15   Link #4889
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
n the first game it is impossible for the person in the witch costume who shoots Natsuhi to be anyone other than Shkanon.
It could have been Kanon or Shannon who faked their deaths. It doesn't have to be Kshannon
Old 2010-01-04, 13:19   Link #4890
scwizard
Starcraft Wizard

Yeah, Shannon, Kanon or the combination of the two.

What I'm trying to say here, is that if you believe Shanon = Kanon to be true, then that would imply that they have a habit of dressing up like Beatrice.
Old 2010-01-04, 13:30   Link #4891
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
This once goes back to what I'm saying for you, in that you seem to think that any theory that is not destroyed by the red truths is acceptable, which is clearly not true by Episode 5. Or if you think that way, since Erika didn't know the red truth of Ushiromiya Natsuhi is not the culprit, do you think her actions were justified and the trial was fair? As I've already stated: you're thinking just like Erika, particularly with your obsession in distrusting anything and everything that's not stated in red, and this is not a good thing.
Hmm...
Spoiler:

I don't see how I am thinking like Erika by assuming that anything not stated in red is not trustworthy, its a basic premise of the game. I am willing to take heavily hinted stuff into account and I have the knowledge of all the games so far, Erika was on the island for two days. And yes, the game itself already proved that anything not declared in red is to be suspected through Kinzo's death, the urges from ryuukishi07 in episode 5 is for the reader to not give up and to trust that he will bring everything together. Furthermore, Battler's monologue at the start of the ura tea party was for people to think things through with as many perspectives as possible. I am not so conceited as to claim that only one theory I claimed is the only truth, a major difference from Erika. And unlike Erika, I formed my theories using circumstantial evidence from scenes without red truths. The catch however is that any theory made will be knocked down if it fails against the red. That automatically requires a theory to not fall prey to any red and so far, that's the only concrete qualification of a correct theory, therefore, any theory that doesn't violate any red truth so far is, for now, plausible. The rest of your ideas about Episode 5 are merely your feelings and your interpretation. Trust me on this one, they will be crushed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
Wut.
As someone who argues in favor of Shannontrice but hates, hates Shkanon, I massively disagree with this concept and argue that there is quite a bit of evidence in favor of the theory. Some examples like the fact that the two did indeed like each other in the past (Jesus, have you not heard of the pony theory at all?), combined with the fact that it's very heavily implied that Battler's sin was a broken promise towards Beatrice in Episode 5 (something which contradicts your theory) and Shannon's oddities in her death in Episode 1, which there have been tons of arguments over here.
I already conceded as much that shanontrice and shkanon are separate theories. Don't buy too much into it. Of course I have heard of the "pony theory", but the thing is, its used (or at least, usable) for Shanontrice, Shkanon and Jessitrice. Battler's sin being a broken promise toward Beatrice is hinted at but as long as its not clear who Beatrice is, the promise could be anything and thus it doesn't contradict Battler culprit theory. It could very easily be the promise to himself to not ever come back to the Ushiromiyas. Shanon's death in episode 1 is also an instance that leads to Shkanon, her death was confirmed (yes Battler didn't see her corpse but Beato confirmed her death later) and this combined with the idea that she was also Kanon, faked the death of Kanon later on, killed everyone then killed herself is the basic idea of Shkanon. I hope you see where I was getting at, Shanontrice and Shkanon are indeed separate but most of the evidence for shanontrice can also be used for shkanon and since shkanon has further evidence and a stronger premise (with the number of people and all the reds pining either Kanon or Shanon in one place but not both), it wins out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Only bring in things that has already been concretely established or at least very strongly hinted at.
Well you're not exactly following that example when introducing a theory where Battler is the culprit when it was at least established on a plot-basis that Ushiromiya has not commited murder and that he is the detective in the first 4 games.
Erm, I gave enough blue truths and passed through all existing red to establish that theory, that's not my personal opinion (I don't believe/want Battler to be the culprit) and is just a theory that's plausible for now. Your message is rather unclear (which Ushiromiya are you talking about here?), please clean up so that I can properly respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chounokoe View Post
I know you don't like believing in the relationship between author and reader, but it is not like you implied only about 'the author being nice', it is about the author loosing the trust of his readers if he were to introduce a Logic Error within his own story.
If at one point we were to learn what you implied
//Virgilia's red truth applies to another battler
then many readers (including me) would loose their trust in the author and stop thinking, because anything could be a lie and be aimed solely at the act of lying to us.
And as far as I remember Battler only introduced the possibility of him being the boy from 19 years ago, who has a grudge against Natsuhi, he never shouldered the crime of MURDER with any of his claims. With that he only gives power to Natsuhi's alibi, he does not brandish himself the culprit.
Erm, sorry, but Virgilia used that red and then Battler brandished himself culprit in blue, which wouldn't be possible if that red applied to him. And I suggest you read that part again, Battler does declare himself the culprit, him being the child of Natsuhi was simply to provide the whydunnit, the motive. Heck, I will include it here.
Spoiler for wtfax battle xD:

You see, Battler clearly brandishes himself culprit, the battle quickly moves into his alibi and how he could have committed the crime with Erika keeping close watch over him.

Furthermore, why would Virgilia not declare "You, the one Ushiromiya Battler I am talking to isn't the culprit" instead of saying "Battler-kun isn't the culprit" if her purpose was to prove Battler's innocence? You see, the hint is clearly there that her red doesn't apply to the Battler she is talking to, whether you see it or not depends on you. Its not a logic error, and its not a lie, its been clearly hinted at and even circumstantially proved already, its simply that it didn't go by your notions of trust or whatever. Not ryuukishi07's problem, if and when he will give the answer, he will have to annihilate lots of such notions anyway.
Old 2010-01-04, 13:33   Link #4892
Arkwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
Battler's birthday isn't stated in red, but you'd expect him (especially as the detective... if not just as a person) to know his own age, and Kyrie's story makes no sense if Asumu had her child a year earlier. Considering how much the birth meant to Natsuhi, it would require a considerable added stretch to make Jessica be Asumu-Battler. I'll say that it's possible, say if Natsuhi had a stillbirth (and a c-section was used so she wasn't aware) but Krauss didn't have the heart to tell her, and instead bribed someone at the hospital to procure a baby. For some reason, maybe this led to a triple swap where Asumu got Kyrie's child, Natsuhi got Asumu's, and Kyrie was left with the dead child.

It doesn't really add much to the mystery, and it's a lot easier and less sketchy to just argue that Jessica is Beatrice. Jessitrice is possible, but doesn't rule out Shkanon (and the considerable evidence that's been introduced for the latter).

I don't think having multiple cases of split personalities is a good way to write a mystery, so if anything, Jessitrice would hopefully be purely a pretend thing as opposed to an actual medical condition.
I think the operative theory would be that the "baby from 19 years ago" would actually be the "baby from 18 years ago"... It's easier to imagine how they could misconstrue the date on that (considering Natsuhi doesn't even remember it happened at first, I mean really?) than to say that Battler/Jessica are actually one year older (which still is possible.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Spoiler for snip:

tl;dr - Show me something that might suggest Jessica not being Natsuhi's own daughter and I'll stop bugging you.
Spoiler for space:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwizard View Post
In the first game it is impossible for the person in the witch costume who shoots Natsuhi to be anyone other than Shkanon.
It's also possible for Eva. The second twilight was easier to fake than the first twilight (and the magic circle strongly hints that it was.) She just has to be dying when they find her (shot by Natsuhi's rifle.)

If Kanon = Shannon is not true, then it could also be Kanon alone.
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 13:37   Link #4893
scwizard
Starcraft Wizard

Quote:
Shanontrice and Shkanon are indeed separate
Does anyone have a theory of episode one that allows you to hold the second theory to be true, but not the first.

Seems like due to episode one, the first implies the second to me.
Old 2010-01-04, 13:37   Link #4894
ameskitty
Kupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
Yep, Shanontrice and Shkanon aren't equivalent but Shanontrice doesn't really have much evidence to itself, any evidence that points at Shanontrice points at Shkanon in a stronger manner.
Umm, what? There are many points about Shannontrice that don't implicate Shkanon at all (at least to me):
  1. Shannon seems at least a little unsure about the marriage proposal, and for some reason GeorgexShannon has always seemed to have a lot less substance than other canon pairings, despite their engagement and claimed undying love. This makes the "fact" that Shannon is truly in love with George questionable. And although this can implicate that Shannon is a cross-dressing male (aka Shkanon), I don't see how it has to by any means.
    Spoiler for EP6:
  2. The whole thing about the Engrish and the white horse, of course.
  3. Battler knew Shannon 6 years ago, and they are close in age.
  4. Spoiler for EP6:
  5. Whether or not Shannon died in EP1 is questionable (regardless of if she and Kanon share an identity), and many of the murders in all episodes can be explained with her as a culprit. EP2's early twilights, for example, do not require Shkanon to be explained. The possibility still clearly exists that Kanon was thrown out of the window - he didn't have to be Shannon's killed alter personality. Not to mention a few red text loopholes allowing Jessica's key to have a duplicate. On the other hand Beato doesn't necessarily have to be the murderer, so you can take this point with a grain of salt.
  6. Spoiler for EP6:

These are all pretty strong clues, and none of them imply or require Shkanon. Only if you want to believe in Shkanon can you pull some of those clues over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneh
Did anyone notice what a red text that could've been this hint? As far as I remember most reds in this Ep were confirmations about the closed room mystery. Maybe this has something to do with the person count at the end? It's certainly something that was never discussed after Beato said that there are no more than 17 people on the island.
Spoiler for EP6:

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
ameskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 13:42   Link #4895
scwizard
Starcraft Wizard

the_rogue: from what I hear, if you're going to doubt Shanon = Kanon then there's a bunch of closed room puzzles you have to solve, the central one being "how did Battler escape." If you can read Japanese (I don't) you should definitely take a shot at those, it would strengthen your position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkwright View Post
It's also possible for Eva. The second twilight was easier to fake than the first twilight (and the magic circle strongly hints that it was.) She just has to be dying when they find her (shot by Natsuhi's rifle.)
Knox's 8th. It is forbidden for the case to be resolved with clues that are not presented!
What are the clues that would lead us to believe that Eva faked her death?

In addition to this, the detective, Battler, declared Eva to be dead. Saying that this was too cruel to George. For Battler to have confused a living person and a dead person, a clue is required to have been presented pointing to that fact.

Quote:
Not to mention a few red text loopholes allowing Jessica's key to have a duplicate.
Please present these loopholes explicitly instead of alluding to them.

Also: Knox's 8th. It is forbidden for the case to be resolved with clues that are not presented!
Do you have any clues, any evidence, that indicate that a duplicate was made of Jessica's key?

Last edited by scwizard; 2010-01-04 at 13:55.
Old 2010-01-04, 13:52   Link #4896
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rogue View Post
Umm, what? There are many points about Shannontrice that don't implicate Shkanon at all (at least to me):
I ALREADY CONCEDED AS MUCH ZZZ.

Quote:
These are all pretty strong clues, and none of them imply or require Shkanon. Only if you want to believe in Shkanon can you pull some of those clues over.
Yeah, that's what I meant. But like I said, since all of the hints for Shanontrice can be used for Shkanon (and all of them can because Shkanon already includes the whole of Shanon's story) and Shkanon has further hints and Shkanon solves some puzzles and paradoxes, especially about the movement of Shanon/Kanon when they committed the crimes and about the number of people on the island, it wins out logically. That doesn't mean shanontrice is denied, I never said it wasn't plausible.

Quote:
Spoiler for EP6:
That's what the general assumption at the moment is but that's not the case because in the interview, the question is clearly "What was red truth that was supposed to be in Ep3 but excluded then and included in Ep5?" Erika wasn't there in Ep3, which clearly means that the red truth in question has nothing to do with her.

Quote:
Knox's 8th. It is forbidden for the case to be resolved with clues that are not presented!
First off, Knox's rules don't apply to Ep 1. Second off, he already gave the hint that there was a magic circle drawn in the door in practically no time. Add in the fact that Battler didn't personally confirm the death (he didn't even see the corpse of Hideyoshi), there are ample clues that Eva(or Hideyoshi) faked their death. Its plausible, however far-fetched it sounds.
Old 2010-01-04, 13:59   Link #4897
Arkwright

Quote:
What are the clues that would lead us to believe that Eva faked her death?
Copy-pasting:

Quote:
In comparison [to Shannon in the first twilight], I think there is a simpler and more viable candidate for a fake in the second twilight. Some people (seemingly including Battler) don't even look in the room, and even the people who looked in the room would not have been able to see Hideyoshi even if they went inside, so his death especially is fairly easily falsified. Furthermore, someone drew a magic circle on the door during the short time it took Kanon and Kumasawa to go grab a wire cutter. In other words, before anyone entered the room, someone who knew there were "corpses" inside went up and painted a magic circle on the door during a tiny time-frame in which they could have been discovered by multiple people. And if they were real murders and the painter was the culprit, getting caught drawing a magic circle on the door would have been basically saying "I killed them" after people found what was inside.

So, the magic circle seems like a big clue that the second twilight was faked, at least in part.
The second twilight was planned to be fake from the start. Genji drew the magic circle on the door while Kumasawa and Kanon went to get the wire cutter. There was no problem with a servant discovering him drawing the witch's mark on the door, because the servants all knew that they were going to put on a show of "discovering bodies" when they went in the door, and that no one was actually going to be dead in there.
Arkwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 13:59   Link #4898
Kaiba

Quote:
You know what, it still hasn't been established that Ushiromiya Natsuhi that Erika framed isn't the culprit, Battler didn't use the red after he was allowed to (which suggests that there is a reason he couldn't use it, since that would have been a clear weapon to clear Erika's claims instead of framing himself as culprit and still allowing room for Erika to survive, however pathetic her cover-up was). And even with that, the rest of the accusations aren't disproved. But the problem with that was that its a devil's proof, and if one were to turn the wheels and use hempel's raven, Erika would have to provide concrete evidence of adultery between Kinzo and Natushi. Whether the trial was fair or not is open to interpretation, for one thing, from Battler's perspective, it looked unfair but for another, the detective for the episode was Erika and only her perspective was infallible.
I'll be quite blunt here. Anyone who can think for a minute that Natsuhi could be a culprit after Episode 5 is an idiot. Ryukishi making her the culprit after that would seriously be the mother of all asspulls, and I'm not even going to look at that. As for why Battler couldn't use the red? Because the trial was inherently unfair, as at that point it gave him the burdens of the detective (can't use supernatural methods) without its privileges.

Quote:
I don't see how I am thinking like Erika by assuming that anything not stated in red is not trustworthy, its a basic premise of the game. I am willing to take heavily hinted stuff into account and I have the knowledge of all the games so far, Erika was on the island for two days. And yes, the game itself already proved that anything not declared in red is to be suspected through Kinzo's death, the urges from ryuukishi07 in episode 5 is for the reader to not give up and to trust that he will bring everything together. Furthermore, Battler's monologue at the start of the ura tea party was for people to think things through with as many perspectives as possible. I am not so conceited as to claim that only one theory I claimed is the only truth, a major difference from Erika. And unlike Erika, I formed my theories using circumstantial evidence from scenes without red truths. The catch however is that any theory made will be knocked down if it fails against the red. That automatically requires a theory to not fall prey to any red and so far, that's the only concrete qualification of a correct theory, therefore, any theory that doesn't violate any red truth so far is, for now, plausible. The rest of your ideas about Episode 5 are merely your feelings and your interpretation.
Because that's what Erika does. Remember what she said to Natsuhi when pulling out her bullshit motive? Even little phrases like "I loved my husband" (something for which there was a ton of evidence) can't be trusted because they are not in red. If anything, I would argue you don't even do that, as your theory pushes and pulls the red around on the Knox rules, I am not you and Battler is not eh culprit, which is something I have little respect for as it merely opens the door to any ridiculous theory.
And just because a theory doesn't violate a red truth doesn't mean it's plausible in the slightest. The Natsuhi theory is "plausible." Aliens charging in and killing everyone for the first four episodes are "plausible" (since the Knox rules don't apply to the first four episodes, according to you). Small bombs are plausible. That doesn't mean that they're not pointless and not an utter waste of time. There's a difference between what's plausible and what's logical according to what we've seen, and a theory of Battler being the culprit, which violates every principle of characterization and common sense.

Quote:
. The rest of your ideas about Episode 5 are merely your feelings and your interpretation. Trust me on this one, they will be crushed
Probably. If Higurashi and what we've seen of Umineko is an example, Ryukishi likes the outlandish. I don't, and frankly have little interest in outlandish theories, aiming for what is logical and makes the most sense. So my theories are probably wrong, but I will still defend under the banner of rationality.

Quote:
I already conceded as much that shanontrice and shkanon are separate theories. Don't buy too much into it. Of course I have heard of the "pony theory", but the thing is, its used (or at least, usable) for Shanontrice, Shkanon and Jessitrice. Battler's sin being a broken promise toward Beatrice is hinted at but as long as its not clear who Beatrice is, the promise could be anything and thus it doesn't contradict Battler culprit theory. It could very easily be the promise to himself to not ever come back to the Ushiromiyas. Shanon's death in episode 1 is also an instance that leads to Shkanon, her death was confirmed (yes Battler didn't see her corpse but Beato confirmed her death later) and this combined with the idea that she was also Kanon, faked the death of Kanon later on, killed everyone then killed herself is the basic idea of Shkanon. I hope you see where I was getting at, Shanontrice and Shkanon are indeed separate but most of the evidence for shanontrice can also be used for shkanon and since shkanon has further evidence and a stronger premise (with the number of people and all the reds pining either Kanon or Shanon in one place but not both), it wins out.
Beatrice did NOT confirm Shannon's death later. There's been tons of arguments over this, and I argue that Shannon was still alive after the First Twilight.
Shannontrice has different evidence from Shkanon, as it in general ignores Kanon in general. Explain this. What does Shkanon have over Shannontrice, as it needlessly complicates the whole murder plot by adding in a ton of people who have to be in on that conspiracy too, and really has nothing on making the plot easier to go by than Shannontrice? Even if there is supposedly more evidence for Shkanon, which I don't believe, extraordinary claims like there is no Kanon and no one knows about this require far more evidence than a simple claim like Shannon killed everyone. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.
Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 14:00   Link #4899
ijriims

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Here it is:

"You know, people are always making another part of themselves inside themselves that they can really like. This isn't escaping from reality, okay? ......When I'm that other part of myself, I can really feel like I'm living a great life. So no matter how constrained and boring everyday life is, I can definitely live without suffocating."

"You know, I'm called by this nickname Jessie in school. So when I'm Jessie, I live life honestly and to the fullest. And because of that, I can do my best when I'm Jessica too."

I think this scene can count as a hint for either Jessica or Kanon having multiple "selves" of them. This may be Jessica hinting that she has other personalities, or it might be why Kanon likes her so much despite the obvious problems Shkanon creates. They're much more alike than any other pairing.
A normal things that happens to everyone: just like when I am in public, I probably behaved much different from when I am at home. I suppose everyone displays these kind of behaviour change.

This scene, when I read it, I was thinking how Jessica strongly disliked being restricted by strict rules and taught sternly as she was supposedly the next head of the family ('s wife). She yearned for freedom and despised the status of head of the family. That's it.

To say Jessica developed an alternate personality Beatrice, it is not that simple.

Firstly, it was a serious mental illness - DID (dissociative identiy disorder). Jessica did not display any of its core symtoms at all - depersonalization, derealization and psychogenic amnesia.

Secondly, usually there has to be some events that causes the disorder, if it is not genetically inherited (no hints of saying the Ushiromiya family as having relatives with mental illnesses). Often the cause is child abuse, but it was said that Jessica did care for her parents and respect them in heart. No hints of her being abused before (no mention of bruise, scars, avoidance of speaking about the abusers).

Thirdly, six years ago, Beatrice was rumoured as a witch living in the forest of Rokkenjima before the portraint was hung in the mansion, sneaking around at night to catch people. If Jessica indeed developed a alternative personality Beatrice, it should based largely on this image. However, the Beatrice we knew had a much richer content like being Maria's master, playing innocuous tricks on people with Maria. It was nothing evil and that should not be Jessica's created personality if Beatrice was born because of abuse and stress.

All in all, to say either Jessica or Shannon suffers from DID or other serious mental illnesses is groundless and ridiculous (BAD BAD writing, because it conflicted with both Jessica's and Shannon's lively and strong-willed image so much. On the other hand, Kinzo probably fits much better for mental illnesses). They were two healthy ladies, just that Jessica being slightly tomboy and Shannon being shy and timid (at least before she met Beatrice, who gave her the brooch to encourage her to create her own fate. IMO, breaking the shrine's mirror was an act the early Shannon would never dare to do, because she was slightly superstitious and believed in fatalism that a servant like her would never get in love with master George, breaking the mirror was a symbolic act such that she cast away her fatalistic thoughts and started create her own future. A good move proposed by Beatrice.)

Last edited by ijriims; 2010-01-04 at 14:10.
ijriims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-04, 14:00   Link #4900
ameskitty
Kupo

Quote:
Does anyone have a theory of episode one that allows you to hold the second theory to be true, but not the first.

Seems like due to episode one, the first implies the second to me.
Spoiler for long:

I agree that I could probably strengthen my position by going back and trying to solve that closed room issue, but it's a doozy to be sure .

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A
ameskitty is offline   Reply With Quote