AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-07-13, 07:29   Link #21
Biohazard
-kanashii~desu-

Send a message via ICQ to Biohazard Send a message via MSN to Biohazard
I slept alot of futons when i was smaller, now i have a bed, but i want a futon again...
while a futon is harder than a matress, i find it more comfy, and i actually love to have a big pillow ( i usually take 2-3 normal pillows and pile them up ) , so i guess futons = good
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 10:46   Link #22
Jonte
. . . . .

Send a message via ICQ to Jonte Send a message via MSN to Jonte
thanks for all the nice replies!

I will definetly be looking into buying one, and you say IKEA has them? that would
be great, they always have affordible prices and good quality stuff. And i have a
very good 'conforter' from my bed Im sure I can use on a futon.

Also, I usually sleep on my stomach (or on my side), guess I will have to try to
start sleeping on my back if its better for your back. Dont want to end up with a
bad back at 40 :P

Did anyone know what lenghts they come in?
Jonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 18:31   Link #23
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

Yeah, sleeping on your stomach is really bad for you. It's not that you don't have proper back support, it's how you sleep with your head. Your neck and neck muscles are the most highly numerous and sensitive mechnoreceptors in the body which sends information to your cerebellum for balance. If you sleep on your belly, you have a tendacy to sleep with your neck rotated in a prolonged period which isn't healthy.

Kyolux: Down comforter is just a type of blanket. It's filled with goose down feathers which helps to breath and takes moisture away. You could use regular blankets as your poor man's futon, but moisture will build up and it will be uncomfortable to sleep on, hence the recommendation for down comforters.

Hmmm, I don't know about IKEA... if you're going to buy an asian futon, you might as well buy it from your local Asian "towns" like Korea town or Jpn town. They sell them. And to comment about their weight... yeah, they are heavy as hell. Feels like 20 pounds or so. I usually don't fold them away. They don't take much space up anyways.
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 21:35   Link #24
Pitar
Anime is a way of life?

Send a message via AIM to Pitar
Smile

I like how the topic of Futons has chiropractic concern built-in. Oh well also before going out and buying one just sleep on the floor... and pretend that it doesnt itch as much. Voila thats a futon basically. I never used an asian pillow but have slept on a futon... If you consider that an exotic thing there are way more random things out there.
Pitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-13, 21:54   Link #25
Kyolux

Send a message via MSN to Kyolux
sleeping on the floor as is, been there done that, at a party, without even a pillow, but I was lucky enough to be woken up by some girl throwing me a water bottle in the face. lol it just reminded me that :P
Kyolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 01:51   Link #26
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

I don't know about this futon stuff... sleeping on the floor seems crappy... I'd much rather sleep on a huge comfy bed... but I guess it's all about preferences...
Old 2004-07-14, 03:02   Link #27
Anlushac11

I have a futon with a wooden frame that doubles as a sorta real low sofa and it works great. I slept on it for 2 years and had no problems sleeping but you do have to roll tehm up and pat tehm out otherwise they get compressed and kinda flat.
Anlushac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 07:17   Link #28
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

I would like to try that, i don't like my bed. I tried to sleep on the floor i woke up very well. A bed take a lot of place in a room so a futon or other type of pliable bed could be nice. Maybe expecpt when in a rush and you don't have time to roll up your bed.

I don't know why but i cannot sleep in a position and keep it all the night. When i begin ot sleep on the back, i sometimes woke up on my stomach. Sometimes i fall asleep in the head pointing the north and wake up the head pointing the south. Once i woke up on the floor but i was sleeping on my bed, guess i had a bad dream or something.

My mom taked the habit of sleeping on the floor of our lounge and the morning when i woke up and don't looking where i'm going i often walk a little on her and she makes me remember it( when she's angry she is very scary )

how do we write "salon" (of a home) in english? I search in my really-cheap-crap-fivedollars-english-french dictionary and found "lounge" but i find this word strange.
Yogo_Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 07:31   Link #29
Sephon
Inrecognizable lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Sephon
About that sleeping on the back thing, got me worried a bit since I always sleep on my stomach and sometimes on my side.
The thing is that I can't fall asleep while lying on my back, anyone have the same problem? And is there a way to learn it? I can' t just lie there for hours and hours, do I have to take drugs first or something? :P

I'd be happy to hear if anyone had my problem but knows a trick to shift positions.
Sephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 07:41   Link #30
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I think I have never slept on futons, although I'm not really sure what a futon is...but I've slept on hard floors... are futons softer than floors? And what's the difference betweem a futon and a mattress?
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 07:51   Link #31
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephon
I'd be happy to hear if anyone had my problem but knows a trick to shift positions.
Don't know a trick to shift position, but if you raise your mattress (using dictionary for the english word for "matelas" and finely understand some earlier post) in the place where your feet will be, you will not change position while sleeping on your back.
Old 2004-07-14, 08:03   Link #32
Kyolux

Send a message via MSN to Kyolux
I believe salon is living room yogo_pogo :P

By the way I like your sig, so true I believe you are french like me, so I'm curious, where do you live?
Kyolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 09:28   Link #33
Rhia
shush! I was only helping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonte
keey, so I was wondering if any of you have tryed a futon?
[note: a futon is a rollout bed sorta]
If so, how are they? Im not asain so Ive never even seen one, except on pictures and in some anime (that doesnt count though).
Do most most japanese people use them? I would really like to try one actually.. I mean like my bed and all, but its so big. Also, are they soft? my bed is like 25cm thick, and a futon is alot thinner isnt it? so is it comfy to sleep on?

btw, if this sounds wierd just ignore my thread :P looool

I used to have one but it soooooooo got on my nerves so now i have a nice double bed, it was comfy but mine wasnt the tradition japanese one mine was a sofa futon, but im sure is it aint that much different from the japanese ones..
Rhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 13:49   Link #34
Bracken33

I also like to fall asleep lying on my stomach. It is a convenient position for me.
I sleep in a bed with a very flat pillow.
I unconsciously roll over and wake up the next day in a random position.
Bracken33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 15:19   Link #35
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

To correct some misconceptions... we're not talking about an American sofa/bed futon. We're talking about asian futons. Basically, it's just a mattress pad on the floor. To me, American sofa futons are horrible... I feel the futon frame when I try to sleep on them. They're not even close to what asian futons are.

dreamless:

Yes, they are much softer than floors. Asian futons are almost like mattress without a boxspring but they have no springs in them. Closest thing I can think of is that they're like 2 mattress pads stick together, soft yet comfortable. That's why asian futons are better back support, they can never sag and lose precious back support.

Sephon:

There's nothing wrong with you. It's called law of facilitation or spinal learning. Your body has adapted to a certain position... it's like how you part your hair. If you try to part it in the opposite direction, it feels odd and it resists to stay that way.

Here's what you do... since you have learned how to sleep on your side a bit, you can do that. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you have proper support to keep your spine level. If you insist on trying to switch to sleep on your back, try to sleep on your side from then on and once you have adapted to do so, then you can try sleeping on your back. Sleeping with a body pillow (very long pillow) will help you learn how to sleep faster on your side.

I might as well let everyone know... I'm 2nd yr chiropractic student, earning my D.C. and I'm also earning my M.D. If you guys are in the area, I can give you some discounts on treatment from my school clinic... but don't expect any favors in regards to Aone. If any of you naruturds ask, I will ban you on sight... =p
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 17:17   Link #36
Jonte
. . . . .

Send a message via ICQ to Jonte Send a message via MSN to Jonte
Quote:
About that sleeping on the back thing, got me worried a bit since I always sleep on my stomach and sometimes on my side.
The thing is that I can't fall asleep while lying on my back, anyone have the same problem? And is there a way to learn it? I can' t just lie there for hours and hours, do I have to take drugs first or something? :P

Yeah thats probably me, after reading this I decided to start sleeping on my back so I eventually can get a futon and have less backproblems. Last night, I went to bed around 3-4am, was fairly tired, but could fall asleep for atleast an hour. but actually, I usually wake up very tired in the mornings but after I'd slept on my back I felt I'd slept better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura-sensei
Here's what you do... since you have learned how to sleep on your side a bit, you can do that. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you have proper support to keep your spine level. If you insist on trying to switch to sleep on your back, try to sleep on your side from then on and once you have adapted to do so, then you can try sleeping on your back. Sleeping with a body pillow (very long pillow) will help you learn how to sleep faster on your side.
Thanks for this advice. I gotta try it, I try it, I sometimes sleep on my side aswell, went shifting from side to back last night. went pretty well. ^^

Last edited by Jonte; 2004-07-15 at 20:52. Reason: sorry, didnt notice I did the quote tags wrong.
Jonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 17:23   Link #37
TronDD
Team the box!

Quote:
I can't fall asleep on my back, either unless I'm really really tired. And if I do fall asleep on my back, it'll cause me to have some horrifying dream where I'm about to die and I wake up startled. Nothing like waking up scared shitless simply because you fell asleep on your back.
TronDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 20:31   Link #38
Yogo_Pogo
A laughing demonic Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyolux
I believe salon is living room yogo_pogo :P

By the way I like your sig, so true I believe you are french like me, so I'm curious, where do you live?
In Quebec. i think i should trash my french-english dictionnary. you may not believe me but sometimes it can take me an hour to write a single post.
Old 2004-07-14, 22:03   Link #39
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
I love futons. I am getting one for my basement. (We are redoing a lot of stuff at my house and I want one). I've used them in the past and if you buy a decent one, they are extremely confortable. Couch during the day, sleep on it at night. Folds up for storage. How can it get any better?
OFFSPRiNGCo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-14, 22:13   Link #40
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFSPRiNGCo16
I love futons. I am getting one for my basement. (We are redoing a lot of stuff at my house and I want one). I've used them in the past and if you buy a decent one, they are extremely confortable. Couch during the day, sleep on it at night. Folds up for storage. How can it get any better?
We're talking about the other type of futon, as far as i know. The Japanese style futons that you lay out on the floor not the sofa/bed style futons.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote