AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Episode 16 Rating
Perfect 10 180 70.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 14.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 7.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 1.57%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 0.78%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.39%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.39%
1 out of 10 : Painful 9 3.53%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-01, 18:59   Link #201
Starra

I cried.

Even though I knew it was coming and had already seen the movie.

And Nagisa's not even my favourite character.
Old 2009-02-01, 19:26   Link #202
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Spoiler for Episode:

I would be just like him though, his thinking, his reaction, everything.
Old 2009-02-01, 21:02   Link #203
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The episode can only get a 10 or more, for all sorts of reasons, even the ED isn't enough to reduce the rating.

As much as I love Nagisa I found that I didn't have any wetness around my eyes at all. But I think I'm experiencing heartache, its like my heart has already cried too much that's why I have no tears left.

The only time I've ever cried over a character death was in One Piece. Because One Piece is a show I've watched for years like many others, the loss of that character was like a loss of a very old friend.

I'm glad I didn't know Nagisa for that long, unlike those who played the visual novels. You guys are already very attached to her, probably more than us who only watched the anime. I'm sure that's why you guys can cry now or even a second time.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-02-01, 21:16   Link #204
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I only watched the anime. But then again.. my eyes welled up when
Spoiler for Bleach: Arrancar->Hueco Mundo Arc:
I seem to well up way to easily.. but this is the only anime where I had to blow my nose and almost down right cried.
Old 2009-02-01, 21:57   Link #205
Clawn

10/10 for amazing execution. I'm still feeling sad over it.
Old 2009-02-02, 00:08   Link #206
king12354

Why Tomoya? Why?!
Old 2009-02-02, 00:27   Link #207
Scary Zet

That was really sad. Till the last second I had been hoping to get a way out of the situation, but the preview of the next episode said its definitive word, oppressive summary. However, I give KyoAni all my appreciation for the great implementation of the episode and especially the last "scene". Eleven out of ten.

Though I'm REALLY emptied and DISAPPOINTED by what has been shown in Clannad ~AS~ -16-, I'm definitely looking forward to watching all the following episodes.

Clannad is kinda unique anime. Joining the two seasons we get the long story showing us great developing of the characters over a very long period of time. Considering general storyline, the amount and type of events shown, - I've seen nothing similar ever.

Clannad is a great anime. I've really enjoyed it and value it as a masterpiece. I love Kanon '06 more, though...

Spoiler:
Old 2009-02-02, 01:27   Link #208
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

i waited 40 eps for this... i'm not the biggest Nagisa fan, but it was really well done. not as emotional as i thought it would be, it couldn't pull tears from me. but the last scene (including his thoughts) was really well executed. just the two of them isolated by themselves.

strangely, for me, the highlight of this ep was seeing the supporting cast (minus Tomoyo wtf?!) again. the "event" comes as a close second.

speculation on my part (as i never played the game) but why do i get the feeling that
Spoiler for my thoughts:

now THAT would make it an impressive and highly emotional show, because we know what he went through (both highs and lows) once he met her.
Old 2009-02-02, 01:36   Link #209
CCLemon

germanturkey:

That would make for some drama, but unfortunately, it'd also ruin the entire point and theme of the anime, (family) because, face it, Tomoya wouldn't of met the Furukawas and fathered Ushio if he hadn't met Nagisa.
Old 2009-02-02, 01:47   Link #210
Hyperion
Black Lagoon Social Club

I re watched this episode, and I really want to beat Tomoya with a stick. Stop feeling sorry because you met her, and relish those memories forever. That's what a true man does!

Between this, and the AIR movie I don't think I'll be crying anytime soon.

Where's the rum?
Old 2009-02-02, 02:00   Link #211
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

there's an air movie? is it old?

@lemon, yeah, i understand that won't happen, but i can imagine..
Old 2009-02-02, 02:07   Link #212
octoberasian
Baka Gaijin :P
*IT Support

All I can say...
Spoiler:
Old 2009-02-02, 02:08   Link #213
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
germanturkey: CLANNAD is about Family. People easily forget that. In the time he spent with Nagisa, Tomoya found one, and in doing so some measure of happiness (he literally hated the city at the start of the series). Taking the route you suggested would destroy the central message of the show.

A little off-topic: Huh, what? o_O Message deleted? I gave a general statement on KEY's work in general. I didn't even spoil anything this time.
Old 2009-02-02, 02:21   Link #214
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
So Tomoya loses the one person most precious to him... and if the spoiler in the OP is true... he then takes Ushio, his daughter, Nagisa's legacy, and enrols her in a school where her home room teacher is a tsundere
... yeah... good job, nice move Tomoya!

Ok, here it comes... I'm SO gonna get flamed for throwing in sarcasm in the most depressing episode discussion ever... *me goes to hide*

禁則事項です
Old 2009-02-02, 02:46   Link #215
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Yeah....she died. Pretty sad.

Let's see what Tomoya does now. He's so emo. :[ Poor guy.
Old 2009-02-02, 03:34   Link #216
User91411
Disabled By Request

You know, I actually felt heartache at that, although I only cried one tear, because I'm macho. lol
Old 2009-02-02, 03:35   Link #217
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Well, crap!

That's about the extent that really needs to be said. The last half was pretty moving and it's evident that Tomoya's pretty much a wreck and though one can't blame him for it it'll be up to him to rise from the situation. My guess (I haven't played the VN or anything) is that he won't quite recover from this solely because of how much he depended on Nagisa for his support. Heck, those two complemented each other perfectly so now that one part is gone, it's like having one leg amputated. And Tomoya is pretty much a cripple in the emotional sense.

Dare I speculate at Ushio being neglected from this point on? The dialogue during the Christmas party did indicate strongly that the concept of Tomoya being a father hasn't sunk in completely with him and all this time, he's been more concerned with Nagisa without thinking beyond that. Now that it's bitten him in the face, it'll be a test of his strength of character and a test that I'm frankly not sure he can succeed at. His monologue hinted that his mind was really in a state of despair and that he had given up before he started, which doesn't bode well at all.

Only the subsequent episodes will reveal how things go for me.
Old 2009-02-02, 06:11   Link #218
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
this will make the saddest ep of the year
There's a lot of months left in this year, but I daresay you may be right.

A brilliant episode. I think there's a bit too much focus on Nagisa's death because it just overshadows how brilliant the entire episode was. From beginning to end, it was better than anything in this season so far and better than everything from the first season except maybe one other episode. And the final scene was the most powerful in the entire combined story to date. Everything was executed brilliantly (maybe not as well as the game, some would argue, but as well as an anime could), and the entire episode carried a lot of depth and meaning and symbolism. Kotomi's speech about multiple worlds hearkens back to ideas that have been explored in works like Ever 17 or Noein (both excellent stories in their own right), and there were a lot of really interesting themes at work, including the ongoing one about Tomoya's reaction to the changing town ("I'm coming to hate this town" was one of the more powerful lines in the episode).

As for the last scene, I didn't cry at first, even when it was clear that Nagisa was dying, but when Nagisa's theme started playing, I lost it. They used a really vibrant and shiny colour scheme for the scenes where Tomoya was remembering Nagisa, and there's a fairly obvious reason why they went with that, which doesn't really need to be spelled out. But a little thing like that makes all the difference; it shows that they've put the deserved amount of care into this.

What they didn't put any care into was the ED theme. I'm not going to pull punches, playing "Torch" at that moment was an outright failure on KyoAni's part. It wasn't just jarring, it was inappropriate, in my mind. Anything would have been better. "Dango Daikazoku" would have been more appropriate. Hell, they could have put something else at the beginning and saved "Toki wo Kizamu Uta" for the ED. They played "Ana" at the end of ep 24, it's not like they haven't changed ED themes to better suit the moment in the past.
Old 2009-02-02, 07:14   Link #219
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Its always weird that how far opinions can differ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
There's a lot of months left in this year, but I daresay you may be right.

A brilliant episode. I think there's a bit too much focus on Nagisa's death because it just overshadows how brilliant the entire episode was.
But the spoiler box in this, says that it focuses too much on Ushio's birth than Nagisa's death: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...io#post2189750

I can't decide which one of you I should agree with.

I just know the entire episode was preparing us for Ushio's birth and whether Nagisa would die. Then we got probably the most amazing birthing scene in anime history followed by the extremely sad death of Nagisa.

I don't see focusing too much on birth or death.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-02-02, 07:25   Link #220
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
What they didn't put any care into was the ED theme. I'm not going to pull punches, playing "Torch" at that moment was an outright failure on KyoAni's part. It wasn't just jarring, it was inappropriate, in my mind. Anything would have been better. "Dango Daikazoku" would have been more appropriate. Hell, they could have put something else at the beginning and saved "Toki wo Kizamu Uta" for the ED. They played "Ana" at the end of ep 24, it's not like they haven't changed ED themes to better suit the moment in the past.
KyoAni isn't exactly the most creative when it comes to OP/ED placement (or necessary lack thereof) but that was unforgivable. Even Omni brought that up on Random Curiousity. This should honestly be the "2nd" ending for After Story. But from what they have done with this episode I'm afraid they will just settle for being consistent. That is, even if keeping an upbeat sugar parade song for an ending of a pure drama show involving a depressed young adult and his neglected daughter counts as "consistent".

I'm so ticked off that I'm probably going to edit episode 16 with Windows Movie Maker and seed a torrent of the episode with the Dango Daikazoku ED edited in.

I wonder how popular it'll become.
Closed Thread