AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-12-20, 17:41   Link #181
Wandering Soul

I'm still processing how I feel about this ending. On one hand, I want to see Ash overcome his concerns about being Eiji and go see him off and eventually be with him. On the other, I guess they wanted to drive home how Ash couldn't completely overcome his past and couldn't learn to value himself. Ash also did say multiple times he was willing to die and Eiji and even prayed to do so.

Overall a good series which suffered from a second half that was repetitive and kept on introducing bare bones antagonists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
You know, I’m really annoyed by the trope, when an injured character just casually bleeds to death, while doing some staff. If you have time go to the library and die there (and why would you do that, think about people, who work there or simply came to read a book. You probably scarred them for life, you Arse), then you have the time to stop (or at least slow down) the bleeding and call the ambulance.
I think the ending sort of makes it clear he choose to die. As for going to the library, he wanted to spend his final moments in a place he was fond of.
Old 2018-12-21, 06:29   Link #182
MetaKite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
You know, I’m really annoyed by the trope, when an injured character just casually bleeds to death, while doing some staff. If you have time go to the library and die there (and why would you do that, think about people, who work there or simply came to read a book. You probably scarred them for life, you Arse), then you have the time to stop (or at least slow down) the bleeding and call the ambulance.
Ash let himself die so he couldn't bring any more danger into Eiji's life. Whether he went to Japan or Eiji visited him, his enemies would start the process over of targeting Eiji to get to him. Lao's attack reminded Ash that he does still have enemies floating around. The manga made it clear he wasn't even stabbed in a vital place but chose to abandon the notion of joining Eiji and die. So he was thinking of Eiji but like many others, I think he made the wrong decision and people like Blanca told him the worst advice ever instead of giving him positive reinforcement.

I hope the epilogue chapter that shows what Eiji is doing years later gets adapted into an OVA.
MetaKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-21, 13:02   Link #183
MgMaster

Fucking Eiji even at very end he makes sure to be a burden to Ash through a letter. I swear, the guy's actually a giant troll - bet he's smirking off-screen.

For the anime overall, you know the production team really put their hearths & soul into this when they've been skipping the ED and just play the song while the episode keeps going just to try & fit as much material as they can in the time of an anime ep - this has been the cast for the past few eps. Not only that, we even got a freaking 30 min ep as a finale! Now that's dedication.

I loved everything about Banana Fish besides Eiji. He's truly been a burden yet refusing to accept the fact that they live in vastly different worlds, therefore constantly causing trouble for Ashe. You're less of a friend than you think if you do that, Eiji. Max,Blanca, and heck, any of Ashe's loyal gang members were more friends to Ashe than you were. Besides that, I guess Ash did come off as rather superhuman at times - the way the guy could fight with so many harsh wounds a bit much, yet still not be completely scarred afterwards. He should've been looking like a grizzled war veteran by now.

But everything's got flaws and despite those, it was a great anime, and a strong contender for my AOTY(since Jojo ends next).
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-21, 19:15   Link #184
MetaKite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgMaster View Post
Fucking Eiji even at very end he makes sure to be a burden to Ash through a letter. I swear, the guy's actually a giant troll - bet he's smirking off-screen.

For the anime overall, you know the production team really put their hearths & soul into this when they've been skipping the ED and just play the song while the episode keeps going just to try & fit as much material as they can in the time of an anime ep - this has been the cast for the past few eps. Not only that, we even got a freaking 30 min ep as a finale! Now that's dedication.

I loved everything about Banana Fish besides Eiji. He's truly been a burden yet refusing to accept the fact that they live in vastly different worlds, therefore constantly causing trouble for Ashe. You're less of a friend than you think if you do that, Eiji. Max,Blanca, and heck, any of Ashe's loyal gang members were more friends to Ashe than you were. Besides that, I guess Ash did come off as rather superhuman at times - the way the guy could fight with so many harsh wounds a bit much, yet still not be completely scarred afterwards. He should've been looking like a grizzled war veteran by now.

But everything's got flaws and despite those, it was a great anime, and a strong contender for my AOTY(since Jojo ends next).
Hi, There, ManlyTear. I disagree about Eiji only because he's the reason Ash didn't go off the deep end. As useless overall he was, he still served a purpose as an anchor for Ash. He didn't become a monster because he met Eiji who was nothing like him.
MetaKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-21, 19:51   Link #185
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The series even provided us an example of how Ash could have turned out if he had never met Eiji with Yut Lung.
Old 2018-12-22, 11:49   Link #186
MgMaster

Well, meeting him was OK, but they could've stayed in touch every now & then even from overseas.

Also, Ash had more than Eiji at his side. Max is the next best example, who could also provide better guidance to Ashe since well, he has more life experience than him. Blanca supported him too in the end. He even had friendly,not just loyal, gang members that seemed to actually care for him . Yut Lung had none of that.

Not denying meeting Eiji was good thing for Ash, but I just feel that he was TOO fixated on him, to the point where it was borderline obsession. There's all these people around Ash, even some of the police officers, want the best for him and help out however they can(just as Eiji) but they never get the same special treatment. I guess you could say it's love, but there's more kinds of that if we're to go there :P
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-23, 04:26   Link #187
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The series even provided us an example of how Ash could have turned out if he had never met Eiji with Yut Lung.
Still alive? XP

That was a pretty strong finale. All the problems that plagued the series were still there but it was good in spite of it all.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-05, 15:30   Link #188
LG-MAX 2.o

Vol 2 achieved a relatively difficult feat, managed to have sales larger than the first vol.

Vol 1 in the first week 4,525 (BD) + 1.970 (DVD).
Vol 2 in the first week 5.448 (BD) + 2.218 (DVD).
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-14, 16:22   Link #189
Kurapica

Just finished watching this. It was a nice anime. I thought it would be better judging by all the things ive heard from it but the plot and mosf characters were not quite as great as i had imagined. Too cartoonesk, stupid, deviant, sterotypical, etc. What i do like was just seeing everything play out and the animation. There are hints of brilliance every once in a while when they start delving into the deeper issues like the motivation for why they are what they are and a few beautiful lines about life sprinkled every here and there but i just wished there would havd been more of that. Still, i give it a 7+. It was well made.
Kurapica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action