AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-24, 01:10   Link #1
ferthepoet

vs. Onisama e

wich of the 2 series you think is better I like Maria-Sama but even tough the animation is far superior I still find Onisama much deeper and thus I like it more
Old 2004-07-24, 13:17   Link #2
Sweets Yumi
Queen Marimite ~♥~

Smile

Oniisama e is the better anime in my opinion.

I like Oniisama e because it's more realistic to events girls go through, they have traumas. Life isn't all lollipops and gum. Even getting a deadly disease is shown during this show. How many other shows about teenage girls show one getting a disease??

Now I know Yoshino too, but she, at least during the anime, never really seemed to be depressed and frightened over her illness, not like the girl (I say 'that girl' not to spoil anyone) in Oniisama e, which is why I say Maria-sama is alot for light-hearted, if fact I think Yoshino was only diseased as much to show how people were assuming that Yoshino was gentle and Rei harsh, just so the author could say, HAHA! You were tricked, and then show us how the characters really are, after Yoshino's opperation.

When I first watched Oniisama e, I was shocked! I can't believe I see an actual true-to-life show. And it was even an older show (I know it was animated in the 90s but was written in the 70s) and it still rings 100% accurate for events I and people around me at my school going through.

I don't know think there is a single person not going through something extremely negative like the show shows. Gossip, Drugs, Obsession, Disease, Death, Abuse, Lies, Insanity, Divorce. All sorts of this stuff.

And I know Maria-sama has some of these things too, mainly gossip (newspaper club!!!) but no one really gets hurt at the end of the day.

I like Maria-sama mainly for girl interacion without trauma,. I can take a breath and just relax when I watch it, although the calmness of the events aren't really realistic in most schools, maybe private ones are like that, I don't know, I've always been in a public school.

I actually can say I like Maria-sama more only in the sense I wish life really were like that!!

But Oniisama e will be the seires I will always hold dear to me. I even think it's animate is alot better than Maria-sama. One flaw in Maria-sama to me is Yumi! She's so ugly! Her eyes are too big and weird looking and I don't like the way her neck (or something around there) looks when her hair is tied in tails. And since Yumi is the one who's life is mainly being told (like Nanako of OE) I have to use her as a basis, and her appearence really bothers me.

Maria-sama only, if I remember, brought me to tears during Seis saga. Oniisama e I'm pretty sure, brought me to tears during each episode. I even own the Japan DVDs, comics, and Anime books for Oniisama e I love it so, In fact, that and Maria-sama are the only animes I actually get merchandise for!

They are very similuar stories but opposite to each other in peoples reactions to things. Ah! I love both seires, but Onnisama e would be what I would save if there was a fire and only had time to grab one or the other!!!

I really rambled on, I wonder if I explained very well?
Old 2004-07-24, 14:53   Link #3
ferthepoet

I canīt help to agree with you

I couldnīt agree more with you Onisama provides much better enjoyment at watching but the one think I didnīt liked bout Onisama e is the message sent on the end that no girl is really lesbian and that itīs simply a stage of sexual confussion on children live, thatīs unrealistical I try to lie myself saying the idea is to portrait that everyone is bi-sexual at least potentially as recent scientifical facts proof but I know that wasnīt Ryoko intention.....

Anyways we have to love Ikeida for bringing us Onisama and Berusaiyu but Maria-Sama is great too if not as good.
Old 2004-07-27, 06:27   Link #4
Iskandar Taib

I don't know if I'd say Oniisama E.. is realistic. It certainly is full of angst and trauma, but to me, it's way over the top. There is lots of stuff in it that I feel is exaggerated (do people really behave like that?) and unrealistic, though it makes for great drama. I do like the show immensely.

Marimite, while it shares many of the same elements, is a completely different type of show. Oniisama E.., to paraphrase Barbara Chambers, is a show where people might stab you in the back, and you've absolutely no IDEA why they're stabbing you in the back. It's definitely not something I'd show to young children. Marimite is a great deal more light-hearted, more of a comedy than a gothic drama.

I like both shows, for very different reasons.
Old 2004-07-28, 01:01   Link #5
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Oniisama E is better then Marimite by leaps and bounds in my opinion. I don't think both of these animes have realistic settings but nonetheless, the emotions in Brother, dear Brother are simply more genuine.

I just don't get as attached to the characters in Marimite as I do to Brother, dear Brother. It's not the fact that Marimite is a simpler anime with less angst and all that. But it's just that sometimes I just don't care enough for the problems that these girls are facing. Where as in Brother, Dear Brother, I thought that the characters were brought up so well that each and everyone of them fascinate me.
Old 2009-07-13, 17:18   Link #6
tyciol
*Artist

Are these series related? Is Maria-sama a sequel, or just a similar genre?
Old 2009-07-13, 17:57   Link #7
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
The shows are very different, and they are only related in the sense that all schoolgirl shoujo shows draw lots of elements from Oniisama E. Marimite and it aren't even really in the same genre despite the similar elements as they tackle them in very different ways.
Old 2009-07-14, 03:11   Link #8
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
Although they maybe initially having the same genre, Oniisama E and Marimite are vastly different worlds, colors and storylines -- dark and light sides of the fictional Catholic School life.
Old 2009-07-26, 20:05   Link #9
tyciol
*Artist

It's good to see both sides Anyway it looks like BDB has a thread here which 4tran posted on: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=10925
Old 2009-11-07, 09:35   Link #10
furu
アラスネ

Comparing Oniisama E and Marimite would be unfair and inaccurate: aside of its similar genre, Marimite offers a lot of different themes: romance, drama, comedy and a very good storytelling and structure. Also, being in a Catholic School its a point.
Old 2010-09-20, 08:36   Link #11
Raging Heart
Lightning Devil

Send a message via MSN to Raging Heart
I still mind Marimite is the best in my opinion, well Onii-sama E is getting me upset.

always put everyone in anime in dark mode, geez don't remind what else about Onii-sama E i don't like.