AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2011-10-29, 13:50   Link #961
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman24 View Post
I have a few paths from which decide to take. This could be a short one shot fic or a long one like my last ones. And it can range from 5,000 words to 10 or 15 or even a 20 thousand word fanfic.

That all depends which route I take :P

Spoiler for fanfic ideas:
Spoiler for My opinion:

Last edited by Runty; 2011-10-29 at 14:24.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 02:56   Link #962
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
That could work you know. Since the scene from Isara's
Spoiler for VC1 spoiler:
to the Bruhl mission had a two week period in between. Yeah, two or was it three weeks passed inbetween the Marberry shore and Bruhl mission.

So who's to say what really happened in those few weeks, it seems perfectly plausible enough that Welkin coulda went on that rage and recovered his mind before the Bruhl mission :P
Quote:
Or Alicia could come charging at him to stop him as he goes on his rampage and he accidentially slashes her across the face or body as he turns around... or maybe even stabs her, but
Spoiler for VC1 spoiler:
You know, I put in some thought about this since I am currently writing my first fanfic somewhere else and it looks to be good although I'm still waiting for reviews (see link in my sig). I will do it after I re-watch the original scene from Legends of the Fall.

It might take me some time because of university papers that I have to do, but I promise it will come up here.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-30, 03:18   Link #963
Snowman24

Even if you don't get reviews 'Over There' at the Fanfic site. Still put your previews here. Personal experience, I always get feed back- as to what to change, what is good, what should be written differently, and all of the authors feedback.

I will tell you one thing, I've recently wrote 2 Dragon Age Fanfic, And you know what, the Dragon age fanfic thread over at fanfic.net gets updated EVERYDAY. It's well over 7,000 stories vs the Valkyria Chronicles less than 1,000 stories and even my stories don't get more than 1 or 2 reviews per chapter. So don't fool yourself if your VC fanfics don't get many reviews. There are many other games/stories who still get many, many, sometimes cloes to a 100 new stories per game/day, and you'll still get less than 1 review per story.

The # of reviews don't equal the quality of the story, or as I have always said!
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 16:52   Link #964
Beri270T3

A variant of option 2 sounds the best Snowman. The best antagonists for you in this story setting is one of the Seven Enemies of Survival (Down But Not Out book reference ), Morris' own personality, and the jeers of Class G.

If you did introduce any Rebel characters so that they have some effect on events other than the external, why not use a compassionate side and go with an anti-hero? A former member of Squad 7 might theoretically be a good candidate for a compassionate Revolutiuonary soldier.

That having been said, I agree with the fellows above that a variant of option 2 is your best bet.
Beri270T3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-31, 18:34   Link #965
Snowman24

Alright, I'll get back to writing once I find time to. and #2 it will be
Old 2011-11-03, 10:53   Link #966
Runty

I await the "dawwwwww" moment.
Old 2011-11-06, 21:28   Link #967
Runty

Done any work on the next segment, Snowman?
Old 2011-11-09, 01:44   Link #968
Snowman24

Sorry, nothing at the moment... Because...
Spoiler for excuse:
:P
Old 2011-11-09, 01:58   Link #969
Runty

Quote:
Sorry, nothing at the moment... Because...
Spoiler for excuse:
:P
I see. Well I'm in the middle of two term papers, and Skyrim is coming out on Friday, so that's gonna keep me pretty busy.

Having any fun with the fic, though?
Old 2011-11-09, 04:00   Link #970
Snowman24

Haha, Skyrim will also keep me pretty busy once it's released.

But... given the decline to Valkyria Chronicles... I feel less inclined to write... I remember my old reviewers well, a year or so ago; DC20, Mr. Wang, Huhn, and so on *No, I'm haven't forgotten you Runty*

It seems like writing for these stories seems less imporant, now that all the major writers have stopped. I've tried to keep the VC thing going, but since everyone else is stopping... I might just stop as well... none of the old crew reviews or writes anymore and VC has come out a long, long time ago. It was fun to write when the hype was fresh... now adays... far less so.

I think I'm the only regular writer of VC fics to write this admission, most ducked out quietly or ceased without an explanation. Here's mine...
Old 2011-11-09, 12:44   Link #971
Runty

I'd still at least like to read your final results on the Coleen/Morris one, if that's to be your swansong.

And yeah, since VC3 hasn't released in NA, VC's popularity really has taken a nose-dive. It's too bad, honestly.

EDIT: What I meant to say was, don't stop just yet! I at least want to see the "dawwww" moments you put into the Coleen/Morris oneshot.

Last edited by Runty; 2011-11-09 at 18:06.
Old 2011-11-19, 04:11   Link #972
Snowman24

What I don't like about the VC2 world is that...
Spoiler for VC2 spoiler:
I was thinking how much better my other story would have been. If Morris or Coleen died... it would for be much more likely that the other would fight that much harder to win the war... if their lover had died in the avalanche :*( A tough lesson for young people, love in war times is that much harder, because you never know when your time is up.

Someone dieing in the first VC game was 100% possible and having the others left to deal with it, or changing 100% possible as well. I had hoped it would work with one of my VC2 fics.
Old 2011-11-19, 14:54   Link #973
Runty

Quote:
What I don't like about the VC2 world is that...
Spoiler for VC2 spoiler:
I was thinking how much better my other story would have been. If Morris or Coleen died... it would for be much more likely that the other would fight that much harder to win the war... if their lover had died in the avalanche :*( A tough lesson for young people, love in war times is that much harder, because you never know when your time is up.

Someone dieing in the first VC game was 100% possible and having the others left to deal with it, or changing 100% possible as well. I had hoped it would work with one of my VC2 fics.
Yeah, that was kind of a bummer, but I think they knew that players would always retry a mission if they suffered a casualty, trying to get perfect runs. They probably wanted to get rid of that tedious kind of thing, and also make it a way to promote secondary character interaction. Two birds with one stone.

And speaking of Coleen and Morris...
Old 2011-11-21, 02:50   Link #974
Beri270T3

Fanfiction is about changing the constraints of the world somewhat. Theoretically all students could live and VC2 grabbed hold of that. It was meant for a younger audience. With another roll of the die, Morris may never have seen Colleen more than a few days, or she may have never really gotten the chance to know him. It's basically making a what if scenario.

Giving VC2 a mature flavour in a way would be an even more interesting challenge as you have a better idea as to who the characters are. In the first game there are so many ways to interpret characters it's not even funny.

In the interest of comparison, we take the situation of Karl and Lynn. They're each other's world. One is no longer among the living when the smoke lifts and the firing dies away. How does the one left alive handle his/her grief of their world being shattered so suddenly and violently? We all have different methods of grieving, as our versions of the characters would too. As an example, the primary conflict is the grief over the loss of a loved one, and the resolution is the realization that the bond of love transcends death. How does the character go about reaching the end? Does he/she make it?

It doesn't even have to be a love in the sense of romance, but familial. Not related by blood, but by the comraderie.
Spoiler for VC2 character interaction:
Suppose they didn't have that any more? Let's say Avan became a cripple or bought his plot, or he had a breakdown after losing someone or several in his class due to bad decisions. That could affect Class G significantly, just as Squad Seven might have been affected if things with Lieutenant Gunther panned out differently.
Old 2011-11-22, 12:00   Link #975
Runty

Still waiting for your next segment of the Coleen/Morris oneshot, Snowman.
Old 2011-11-22, 15:47   Link #976
Snowman24

Sorry, I feel like a WOW player with how much Skyrim has grabbed ahold of my life :P I'm level 31 female imperial archer, and it's still awesome every second :P

Once I beat it... if I beat it... there's just SO many quests. Lol, you can't swing a dead cat around with accidentily accepting 10 new quests. Even with how far I am in the game.

Anyways, once I beat it, I'll try to add some more.
Old 2011-11-26, 04:43   Link #977
DC20

Hey, I ain't dead yet -- just in law school (dead in spirit?).

I've got a back log of reading, but I'm trying to catch up. Still writing, too. I'll pass off some long awaited reviews to both you and Runty as soon as I catch the time.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 13:40   Link #978
Runty

Got another one-shot idea, though this one is for mature readers only (contains some smut!). Still, if anyone's interested, maybe you can give it a shot.

Only try this one if you've already beaten the game; contains end-game spoilers!

Spoiler for Graduation Night:

IMO, something like this should've been done in the game (perhaps not the sex, but you get what I mean).

Anyone want to give it a shot?
Old 2011-12-02, 15:37   Link #979
DC20

I would, but I already gave it my shot at the first line of your fourth paragraph
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-03, 01:34   Link #980
Beri270T3

XD

Well it should have been handled in a more mature manner. But a person really doesn't need to do so along those lines. Why don't you take a crack at it Runty? Focus on building the romantic side of Cosette and Avan's relationship, with the Girl getting her man. Flashback to earlier times could aid you in maturation of the entire story over what might account to just a few short days at the tail end of the year, when she gets his commitment to her.

Tags
fanfiction