AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-04, 04:21   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 673 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Another week, another chapter. And boy, do we get some HUGE revelations in this one. The raw is out now, and credit goes to our friendly neighborhood Aohige for translation:

-Chapter title is "Vergo and Joker". Splash page features Usopp and Brooke in a museum.

-At some random NW island, a platoon of G5 marines headed by a commodore named Yarisugi (whose name means "too much") tells some worried citizens that they were unable to find their children. The commodore says that their deaths were even confirmed by G5's top vice admiral....

-Back at Punk Hazard, Usopp and Sanmi are forced to deal with the giant kids, who have awakened and are going berserk from withdrawal symptoms again. As Usopp prepares to sedate them again, Caesar himself suddenly appears to offer the kids more of his drugged candy. Meanwhile, Zoro's group are still dealing with the slime, which is revealed to have a DF power: Sala Sala(mander) no mi: Model Axolotl.

-Back at the lab, we see Vergo chatting with Monet, who points out the hamburger stuck to his face. We then learn his true identity: Vergo is the vice-admiral who commands the G5 marines. While he's eating the burger, we see that Luffy and co. are all imprisoned together, nearby (amusingly, Luffy is reminded of Alabasta since he's locked up with Smoker again ). Law, who's also in the cell, explains the history between "Joker" and Vergo: It turns out that Vergo was a pirate who joined the marines under Joker's orders 15 years ago, and rose to VA rank during that time. The evil VA then tells Smoker and Tashigi that he'll have to kill them since Law revealed his past to them....

-Luffy asks Law about Joker. Law says that he was a former underling of Joker himself, which is why he knew him so well. Vergo also happens to be the mole's most trusted subordinate. But while in the underground he's known as "Joker", the dark info broker is known in the outside world as the Shichibukai Donquixote Doflamingo.....!!!!!!

See? Like I said, one huge revelation after another this chapter. I believe a few people had already guessed that Dofla is Joker so kudos to them. But now I'm interested in Vergo (BTW, the raw showed his name in English, so we know how it's spelled now). It really does look like this dude will be a major villain in his own right now that we learned more about him. I definitely can't wait to see more of what he's capable of now that we know he's the top dog of G5. And as for Law being a former Dofla pirate.... well, that was pretty predictable. But I guess this means that he'll be turning on his former captain now.....

Boy, the slime turning out to be a DF user sure was a surprise for me. And it really does go to show how versatile Caesar's power is (since a creature made from a DF can eat its own DF.... I mean, WOW). Looks like it really WON'T be that simply to take the scientist down after all. Looks like the post-skip Straw-Hats really have encountered their first truly challenging opponents after all. Man, I can't wait to see what happens next.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-07-04 at 05:06.
Old 2012-07-04, 04:34   Link #2
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

The official spelling is Vergo.
Which was the spelling I've been using since the start.

VA Vergo is most likely a lot stronger than he's been letting the Marines on.
I'm thinking he may even have been the first-mate of Dofla back in the days.
I wonder what position Monet had in the crew, she doesn't address Vergo with any honorifics either.
Old 2012-07-04, 04:43   Link #3
marvelB

BTW, just wanna thank you again for the translation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I wonder what position Monet had in the crew, she doesn't address Vergo with any honorifics either.

Personally, I was sort of thinking that she may have been a somewhat recent addition to the crew. Mainly because Law didn't show any indication that he knew her as well as he did Vergo. But now I want to know more than ever just how strong Happy Harpy is.....

Oh, and what's the deal with Luffy calling Law "Torao"? Or was he referring to Vergo?
Old 2012-07-04, 04:49   Link #4
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
BTW, just wanna thank you again for the translation!

Personally, I was sort of thinking that she may have been a somewhat recent addition to the crew. Mainly because Law didn't show any indication that he knew her as well as he did Vergo. But now I want to know more than ever just how strong Happy Harpy is.....

Oh, and what's the deal with Luffy calling Law "Torao"? Or was he referring to Vergo?
Trafalgar spelling in Japanese -> Torafaruga- -> Tora(tiger) -> Tigerdude.

He is a Shichibukai afterall.

(putting -o at the end is a common naming in Japan, and often used in nick-name naming too. It literally means "man", "guy", etc)
Old 2012-07-04, 04:55   Link #5
marvelB

^Oh, okay. Heh, it didn't occur to me that Law even shares an animal-themed name like most warlords.
Old 2012-07-04, 05:04   Link #6
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Someone pointed out a mistake, Yarisugi should be a commodore.

Those entry level admirals confuse me.
Old 2012-07-04, 05:08   Link #7
marvelB

Oh yeah translated chap is out now.

Uh.... are those french fries stuck to Vergo's face in that flashback pic of him?
Old 2012-07-04, 05:09   Link #8
Jouten

This chapter was sure interesting. So Vergo is Smoker's superior? I see a fight comming... Hope Smoker doesn't lose this time.

They haven't noticed Chopper yet. I wonder if he will free Luffy and the others.

Lol at Robin and Luffy for being nostalgic, despite their situation and Smoker being pissed off about it
Old 2012-07-04, 05:16   Link #9
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Crazy chapter!! So many revelations, some predictable (but still awesome) and others unexpected. Doflamingo is as impressive as ever. To think he had one of crew mate infiltrate the marines and rise to the rank of Vice Admiral undetected. And he was also the one manipulating C.C from the shadows. This guy is everywhere.

The slime being a DF user is also pretty insane

Looks like Nami and Ussop are screwed, so it really is up to Zoro's group to save the day. This will be tough, given the opponents they'll have to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Oh yeah translated chap is out now.

Uh.... are those french fries stuck to Vergo's face in that flashback pic of him?
Yeah. Looks like his face is a food magnet
I'm sure Oda is going to have a lot of fun with this quirk.
Old 2012-07-04, 05:18   Link #10
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Doflamingo's sphere of influence and power seems at the level of Yonkou.

If his power wasn't in shadows and stealthed, we may have had a fifth Emperor (Gokou)
Old 2012-07-04, 05:26   Link #11
Undertaker

So that would mean that G-5 have multiple VAs and even though they are of same rank, there is still hierarchy there, maybe there is indeed something between the different uniforms between VA? (If I remember correctly, Garp and Tsuru were shown to have slightly different uniform compare to other VA before.)

So now Doflamingo enters the picture as well guess that would also suggest that Law was the ship's doctor back inDoflamingo's pirate days.

Anyway, this would also pretty much confirms that Luffy and co. will probably get a bounty hike after this. Now they know a dirty secret that WG and Marine definitely don't want others to know.

This arc now looks like it might end with Vergo bravely sacrificed himself to protect the kids from evil SH and was driven back by heroic VA Smoker. If there is still spot open for admiral, it might just be enough for Smoker to get promoted. Though I don't know what that will do story-wise considering Garp turned down his promotion many times to stay free.

Quote:
Doflamingo's sphere of influence and power seems at the level of Yonkou.

If his power wasn't in shadows and stealthed, we may have had a fifth Emperor (Gokou)
Agree, he like the mafia boss of pirate world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Looks like Nami and Ussop are screwed, so it really is up to Zoro's group to save the day. This will be tough, given the opponents they'll have to deal with.

I don't know, considering that CC's power to be pretty gimmicky, I won't be shocked that Nami/Ussop combo is able to find the neutralizer for it.
Old 2012-07-04, 05:58   Link #12
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Trafalgar spelling in Japanese -> Torafaruga- -> Tora(tiger) -> Tigerdude.

He is a Shichibukai afterall.

(putting -o at the end is a common naming in Japan, and often used in nick-name naming too. It literally means "man", "guy", etc)
that's an interesting piece of information. i've always thought that trafalgar law's name was taken from cape trafalgar where a great naval battle was once fought. oda likes to use names of historical people and places so i thought he got the name from that (although i still think he did). but i never thought that it would be associated to the word tora in any way. thanks for that info aohige-san!

so it's vergo not wergo, eh? he actually had a burger stuck to his chin and he didn't even notice?! leave it to oda to come up with a powerful and even respectable character and still manage to make him look silly.

so the majority of us are right, joker is indeed just a code name. i'm not surprised that it turned out to be doflamingo, i had other suspicions too, but i'm certainly thrilled that it is him! i hope he makes an appearance in this arc. we still have no idea how powerful that guy is so i'm itching to know what he's capable of.
Old 2012-07-04, 06:01   Link #13
Mateus

All this talk of Doflamingo, is he supposed to be Joker?
Old 2012-07-04, 06:06   Link #14
Undertaker

you haven't read the chapter yet?

It's revealed by Law and the spoiler on top.
Old 2012-07-04, 06:07   Link #15
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
All this talk of Doflamingo, is he supposed to be Joker?
uh... yes. didn't you read the chapter?
Old 2012-07-04, 06:15   Link #16
Bern-san

Mother of God, Doflamingo is always involved in all shady businesses

Didn't expect Law to be part of his crew in the past!
Loled with Robin's comment about them being jailed with Smoker again
Chopper has it difficult with Harpy and Vergo there to try and help them escape...

It would be cool if Nami and Ussop managed to take down CC
Old 2012-07-04, 07:10   Link #17
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Damn, Doflamingo is pretty powerful, indeed - he definitely seems like a fifth Yonkou-level power, working from the shadows. Pretty impressive.

And it just struck me that Law is officially at the same level as his former captain - both Shichibukai - could it be that he plans to defeat him (possibly using the remains of the defeated Yonkou's crew, many of which would actually be grateful)?

Nice chapter, can't wait for the anime to catch up.
Old 2012-07-04, 07:13   Link #18
james0246

So it was a hamburger...
Old 2012-07-04, 08:09   Link #19
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Is it wrong for me to envy Franky this chapter? Just look at where his head is...lucky bastard.
Old 2012-07-04, 08:18   Link #20
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Oda might have overlooked the Schichibukai fitting animal design of 'Tora'falgar Law.

Instead of having tiger stripes, Trafalgar has leopard spots on his hat instead.

Also great to see an amphibian added to the list of Zoans, Oda is slowly expanding to the rest of the animal kingdom. But there should be more insects since there are literally more insect species than all other species in the world combined. They also have the largest population and biomass of all animals combined.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Closed Thread