AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-26, 06:07   Link #1
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

The Character Discussion Thread of SOS団 Member: Itsuki Koizumi

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Itsuki Koizumi related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Suzumiya Haruhi fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-08-26, 06:13   Link #2
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Itsuki Koizumi is arguably the most esoteric and mysterious of the SOS Brigade members, with Yuki Nagato being his principle competitor in those two areas. However, from a fan's perspective, there's far more novel focus on Nagato than there is on Koizumi, hence making him a bit more of a blank slate to me than Nagato is.

In some ways, I believe that Koizumi is meant to be the cheerful optimistic foil to Kyon's often exasperated pessimism and snark.

Also, I typically view Koizumi as the "coolest" of the canon male cast, and hence I tend to like him a fair bit.

That being said, he does strike me as the SOS Brigade member that's the most submissive towards Haruhi.
Old 2009-08-26, 06:23   Link #3
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Koizumi is awesome, I don't care what anyone says.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-26, 08:09   Link #4
ac195
Koh nara dekiru!!!

Well, there really isn't much to say about Koizumi. He plays the role of mysterious transfer student and seems to be having fun with it.

As for liking or disliking him... I'm following Kyon on this one, I don't really care enough about him to try and think or learn anymore than what's given.

Oh, and here is by far his best shot IHMO.
Spoiler:

Last edited by ac195; 2009-08-27 at 02:55.
Old 2009-08-26, 09:39   Link #5
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
It is exactly because he is the mysterious transfer student we have much to say about him. I mean, he is obviously lieing half of the time. Episode00 show us he (aparently) can't act, however, Lone Island II show us the oposite, as neither Kyon nor Haruhi could tell it was I a play. Even in the novels (where Kyons reasons to discover the whole thing are better explained) they only slip from Itsuki was long before the 'death', so, his acting during the play were perfect.

I agree with Triple when he says he is the most mysterious member of the brigade.

Oh, yeah, this shot is hilarious. =P

PP:
And fabulous animated gift too
Old 2009-08-26, 09:56   Link #6
OkamiNoKaze

I don't know from his info dump in Melancholy 5, I've gotten a serious Kowaru (from Evangelion) vibe from him
Old 2009-08-26, 10:30   Link #7
Heatth

Is the gayness
Old 2009-08-26, 11:05   Link #8
OkamiNoKaze

I don't think so, I thought this even before I started seeing people taking that as part of his character
Old 2009-08-26, 11:16   Link #9
Heatth

People don't need to talk about it to you notice, you know?

Not saying his definitevelly 100% gay. However, he has some suspect gestures. Like when he land after the fight with the Shinjin and trows his hair (this gesture can be seen every new episode in the ending, btw). Also, the way he speaks. I've never seen the anime Eva, but is possible both sounds in a similar way.
Old 2009-08-26, 12:12   Link #10
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That being said, he does strike me as the SOS Brigade member that's the most submissive towards Haruhi.
A thought just occurred to me: What if Itsuki isn't just going along with Haruhi's plans to keep her happy but rather the link the espers share with Haruhi influences them to think she has some good ideas? ... That idea kept making less sense as I wrote it out.

Also, there's no actual evidence that Koizumi is gay. He could just be acting. He's a very good actor, after all.

Spoiler for Evidence that Koizumi is not gay, Novels 2 and 4:
Old 2009-08-26, 12:19   Link #11
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sute443 View Post
A thought just occurred to me: What if Itsuki isn't just going along with Haruhi's plans to keep her happy but rather the link the espers share with Haruhi influences them to think she has some good ideas? ... That idea kept making less sense as I wrote it out.
No, it makes some sense to me. Beyond that, Itsuki perhaps tries to keep Haruhi happy just to make himself happy, as per that same link (i.e. if Haruhi's happy, the link gives him 'feedback happiness' of his own to feel because of it).

Koizumi has always struck me as the SOS Brigade member most afraid of Haruhi ever losing - like he has an uniquely strong emotional investment in her winning. Every time Kyon thinks twice about helping Haruhi in her latest game (be it baseball or Sagittarius III, or anything else), it's ultimately Koizumi who talks him into giving it his all in order for Haruhi to win.

Personally, I think that Koizumi exaggerates the impact that Haruhi losing would have. I don't think that Haruhi losing one game would cause the universe to come crashing down; I think it would cause a couple closed spaces to open up, maybe, but that's about it.

In a way, I sometimes think that Koizumi is holding Haruhi's emotional maturing back by refusing to ever let her lose.

Quote:

Also, there's no actual evidence that Koizumi is gay.
There's no actual evidence that Koizumi is gay... in general. But the way that he treats Kyon... I'm sorry, but there's something there. There really is, imo. If Koizumi's acting was that good, why didn't it show up in Episode00?

My own pet theory remains that Koizumi is straight... but due to his strong link with Haruhi, he feels the same attraction for Kyon that Haruhi feels.
Old 2009-08-26, 12:21   Link #12
freakonboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
I don't know from his info dump in Melancholy 5, I've gotten a serious Kowaru (from Evangelion) vibe from him
Both are gachihomo characters.

And no, I'm not saying they're definitely gay.
Old 2009-08-26, 12:38   Link #13
Heatth

I like you theory, Sute. However, there is ome few instances on Sighs when Itsuki was not pleasde by Haruhi.

For his gayness. As Triple said, is more the way he acts to Kyon. There is some points that prooves he, at last, like womans (this don't mean he can't be bi, though). Hoever, there is some points where he really seens to be a treacted to Kyon?
Spoiler for Novel5 and 9:

However I agree with Triple pet theory. It fit very well and make these two exemple understandable.
Spoiler for novel 9 exemple:
Old 2009-08-26, 12:58   Link #14
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
I like you theory, Sute. However, there is ome few instances on Sighs when Itsuki was not pleasde by Haruhi.
In fairness, I don't think that anybody was particularly pleased with Haruhi in Sighs.

It's cool that you like my Itsuki "Straight-But-Gar-For-Kyon" theory.
Old 2009-08-26, 13:03   Link #15
Heatth

Quote:
In fairness, I don't think that anybody was particularly pleased with Haruhi in Sighs.
True. Even her fans, like you and me, can't really like her in Sighs

Quote:
I have also posted that somewhere, actually. And, I've read it from someone eles in this forum, some time ago...

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-08-26 at 13:42.
Old 2009-08-26, 13:17   Link #16
Aqua Knight

Quote:

This theory rocks!!!!!!
I didn;t like him at first,but when my mates told me that I'm acting a bit like a gay he became one of my fav characters.
Old 2009-08-26, 13:57   Link #17
Sute443
Sasaki-ist

Why Itsuki's good acting didn't show up in Ep. 00: He didn't want Haruhi to know about it. If Haruhi knew that he was a good actor and combined that with the right evidence at some point in the future, she may come to suspect him of genuinely being more than he appears.

Spoiler for Novel 5 Evidence:

Novel 9 Evidence: ... Okay, that looks pretty strong.

The theory that Koizumi is picking up on Haruhi's feelings for Kyon: Isn't this a pretty popular theory? I thought it had been around for a good long while.
Old 2009-08-26, 14:26   Link #18
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Why Itsuki's good acting didn't show up in Ep. 00: He didn't want Haruhi to know about it. If Haruhi knew that he was a good actor and combined that with the right evidence at some point in the future, she may come to suspect him of genuinely being more than he appears.
... You must think that Koizumi is on an intellectual and careful detail level with L and Light Yagami.

I suppose that's possible, but he never struck me as that brilliant.

While I respect your viewpoint, I still think that the straight-but-gay-for-Kyon theory is more plausible than that.

Quote:

The theory that Koizumi is picking up on Haruhi's feelings for Kyon: Isn't this a pretty popular theory? I thought it had been around for a good long while.
Well, in truth, I picked up on the theory during a debate a short time ago between Heatth, Kaisos, Rambo, and myself. It's certainly possible that the theory dates back a long time ago, when I wasn't on Anime Suki, and somebody that I don't even know originated it.

However, I didn't know that it was popular. I've only seen it brought up once (by somebody other than myself) since I've been posting here heavily back, around, two months ago.
Old 2009-08-26, 14:45   Link #19
Heatth

Quote:
Yeah, this make sense. Yu don't need to L level briliant to fake you acting skills. Also, Itsuki already stated she is kinda afraid of Haruhi, the last thing he wants is she discovering he lied to her for the wholle time.

Quote:
Spoiler for Novel 5 Evidence:

Novel 9 Evidence: ... Okay, that looks pretty strong.
I actually agree with you about the Novel 5 thing. I even posted so when this matter was discussed in the spoiler thread. I was just pointing it out, the only strong point is that one from novel 9. Not really enough alone... but damn supicious.

Quote:
Quote:
Well, in truth, I picked up on the theory during a debate a short time ago between Heatth, Kaisos, Rambo, and myself. It's certainly possible that the theory dates back a long time ago, when I wasn't on Anime Suki, and somebody that I don't even know originated it.

However, I didn't know that it was popular. I've only seen it brought up once (by somebody other than myself) since I've been posting here heavily back, around, two months ago.
Yeah, Rambo was the one I first saw posting it. I also don't remember t being popular tough, never see it anywhere else.

Even the Haruhi's WMG of TVtropes don't seen to have it, and they have a lot of weird theorys.
Old 2009-08-26, 14:57   Link #20
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Yeah, this make sense. Yu don't need to L level briliant to fake you acting skills.
That in and of itself, no. But to pretend to be a bad actor just so that somebody else won't catch on that you're actually a good actor just so that this same somebody won't start to grow suspicious and start guessing at things...

That's either extreme paranoia on Itsuki's part, or meticulously planning out everything he does in a very L and Light Yagami way.

Also, where is this idea that Koizumi is a great actor coming from in the first place? What evidence is there for that? It strikes me as pure speculation.

Quote:

I actually agree with you about the Novel 5 thing. I even posted so when this matter was discussed in the spoiler thread. I was just pointing it out, the only strong point is that one from novel 9. Not really enough alone... but damn supicious.
It's more than pure speculation, Heatth.

This idea that Koizumi is constantly putting on this great flamboyant act for Kyon and Haruhi, but then is so incredibly careful that when he actually acts in a movie he goes out of his way to deliberately degrade his acting ability just to put off possible suspicion... man, I'm not buying that at all. That's insane levels of facade-casting. It really is right up there with Light Yagami.

Tags
characters