Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-06-16, 21:09   Link #161
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I guess I'll just assume the series jumped from Slice of life to magical realism.
You mean, like the one in a prior episode where Reiko brutally wrecked her cub (while riding the poor thing) but had no injuries at all (unless you are thinking of her pride, the only part of her that took a hit),
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-16, 21:12   Link #162
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
You mean, like the one in a prior episode where Reiko brutally wrecked her cub (while riding the poor thing) but had no injuries at all (unless you are thinking of her pride, the only part of her that took a hit),
I just assumed that the cub was a wreck because of the repeated falls rather than a singular event. As for her own injuries I guess it's nothing that some spit can't solve.

So yeah, magical realism.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-17, 01:17   Link #163
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Oh, come on. I think you're being a little too hard on this episode. Yes, the rescue scene was silly and over-the-top, but no worse than Reiko trying to ride up Fuji and falling repeatedly, or even last week's romp in the snow.

Would it have been more sensible for Koguma to call the police or an ambulance, or to take Shii to the hospital? Sure, of course it would have been. But what she did instead was completely in character. First of all, she's used to doing everything for herself. Until she got her Cub, she had nothing and had no one but herself to depend on. Second, she hangs out with Reiko, who's a pretty rough-and-tumble young woman, and in doing so, she's gotten more than a few rough edges herself. And third, they're teenagers! They're not always going to do the sensible thing. They're going to take chances and do risky stuff and think they're invincible enough to get away with it. Good heavens, sometimes when I think about what I did on my bicycle when I was a kid, I marvel at the fact that I'm still alive and I only ever broke one bone in the process.

What made this episode for me was the ending, when the colors suddenly burst out because Koguma made Shii happy. I know there's yuri fanart out there of Koguma and Reiko, but in the show the real sparkage has been between Koguma and Shii. Yuri or platonic, you can take your pick, but it's been there for several episodes now. Besides, Reiko is obviously meant to hook up with that teacher from the other school.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-17, 03:20   Link #164
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

My idea of Koguma's thought process:

"Hmm, no broken bones... ambulance?"

(Ambulance = еееее.)

"I will take you in my Super Cub!"

She's used to avoiding anything that might vaguely cost serious money.
Sean Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-17, 06:09   Link #165
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 11:

so apparently, Shii has healing powers, so no need to go to the hospital and check for fractures.

also, with her Moulton bike destroyed, the granny bike is awkward. Why not buy a Cub? the brainwashing of viewers continue. lol
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-17, 07:20   Link #166
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Shii asked Koguma if she had called an ambulance, on second thoughts I guess it was implying Shii didn't want one to be called because she was too ashamed or something. Which explains why she didn't call for one herself.
Old 2021-06-17, 07:34   Link #167
Liddo-kun
is this so?

forgot to say.. the "thank my cub, not me" was totally cringe. This is easily the worst episode in the show. Worse than the crazy mount fuji climb that proved Reiko is indestructible, but not her cub.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-17, 09:04   Link #168
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Again no one ever called Shii's parents, as far as we know, until they show up the next morning. Perhaps we're just supposed to assume they were called, but that's hardly a given since they were not on Shii's call list after the accident.

Nor did Koguma make any attempt to call Shii's parents after receiving Shii's call. Nor did Reiko.

More illegal riding with passengers again?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-17, 18:03   Link #169
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
More illegal riding with passengers again?
What they did is way worse than illegal riding. Not to mention incredibly dangerous.
Old 2021-06-17, 20:44   Link #170
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Again no one ever called Shii's parents, as far as we know, until they show up the next morning. Perhaps we're just supposed to assume they were called, but that's hardly a given since they were not on Shii's call list after the accident.
That's one of those things that ends up getting cut for time. It was probably there at an earlier point in the script, and someone decided, "Nah, they'll just assume someone called her parents. We don't need to waste time showing it."
Old 2021-06-17, 21:39   Link #171
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Yeah, at this point I'm willing to give the series the benefit of the doubt. The series is going more for setting a mood rather than telling a realistic story. What happened this episode is well within my suspension of disbelief given that the series core themes well still presented well (cubs! friendship! realizations about social interactions for Koguma!)
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-18, 00:40   Link #172
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
What they did is way worse than illegal riding. Not to mention incredibly dangerous.
Reckless endangerment, perhaps. Not sure about Japan's laws on that though

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-18, 21:38   Link #173
HandofFate

episode 11 was way too melodramatic.

lol @ Reiko getting on the free coffee and sandwiches for a year, when she was just a tagalong.
Old 2021-06-20, 22:50   Link #174
Strahan

I didn't dwell too much on the fact that Koguma was called and she went on the cub to rescue Shii, because well, she's the protagonist lol. What made me go more "WTF?" was sticking a soaking wet girl in the FRONT for the ride home. Great plan to buffet her with icy cold winds while being soaked. I'd at least have taken my coat off to wrap around her. Yea, it's cold, but she's at least dry.

The Fuji climb with Reiko was also really absurd. I've done climbs with dirtbikes in my youth, it was challenging. But then, I was actually doing off road climbs though woods and rough rocks and dirt. Reiko's bike damage and constant falls would be more at home with that kind of riding. In the show, she was riding up a freaking road. Yes, a rough dirt road but still a road. How the hell did she manage to fail that bad?? lol

When Koguma did her oil change, I was waiting for her to forget the catch tray and pull the bolt off and cause a mess. That would've been funny I also can't believe she rode across town to Reiko's place in fresh snow on a bike. That's suicidal. I rode once when it had snowed; it was terrifying. I won't do it again.

Those few nitpicks aside, it's a very enjoyable show. I'm going to be sad when it ends. I'd like to see a second season where the girls graduate to actual motorcycles.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-22, 03:37   Link #175
Sean Gaffney
Nomad of the Time Streams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
I didn't dwell too much on the fact that Koguma was called and she went on the cub to rescue Shii, because well, she's the protagonist lol. What made me go more "WTF?" was sticking a soaking wet girl in the FRONT for the ride home. Great plan to buffet her with icy cold winds while being soaked. I'd at least have taken my coat off to wrap around her. Yea, it's cold, but she's at least dry.
As Japanese fans who love to play with Google Maps have noted, Koguma's place is approximately 500 feet from the entrance to the cat trail that Shii was on. So it was not that long a ride.
Sean Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-22, 14:36   Link #176
Strahan

Yea, that's not so bad then.

Heh, that's a funny idea. I should check it out with Google Earth VR.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-23, 09:13   Link #177
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

We're on the edge of the finale today, so before that, there are a few points that need to be straightened out. People are allowed to have divergent opinions of Super Cub, as with any other series, but there were a set of thoughts on the anime that are not meritorious of consideration:

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I'd find it illuminating as to why hoping that some harm comes to Koguma is an acceptable thought to have. Koguma and Reiko's adventure in the snowy field was a demonstration of how she's now able to have fun where monotony once reigned, and that's all there was to the scene. The implications of this statement are that one should be punished with death for having fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
More than anything, this thought demonstrates a complete lack of empathy and understanding of what was happening. Dubious Koguma's choice of actions may be, there is absolutely no indicator that Koguma even considers seeing harm come to Shii.

This fixation on injury and death in a show whose aims are clearly about anything but comes across as immature and petty. I am therefore glad that others in the thread have not given these opinions any additional thought or engaged with them: these remarks are made in poor taste and should not be agreed with. Since the finale is airing soon, I'd figure I'd get this in the open to make it clear that discussion here is more civilised and constructive than that; such destructive thoughts don't contribute anything of value to the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Gaffney View Post
As Japanese fans who love to play with Google Maps have noted, Koguma's place is approximately 500 feet from the entrance to the cat trail that Shii was on. So it was not that long a ride.
Not all of the credit goes to Japanese fans; I found Koguma's apartment out of curiosity when the season started, after all! With that being said, I can confirm this is the case.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2021-06-23 at 10:07. Reason: Putting quoted passages in tldr so as not to signal boost it further
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-23, 10:24   Link #178
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Personal thoughts: Koguma did step out of line with her rough approach to Shii's condition. There were no efforts to check for bruises, broken bones, or wavering consciousness and she even asked the injured to climb up herself and gave her a rather bumpy ride back home. But to generalize this as a lack of empathy or, quoted, "being a psycho" is out of line too. Koguma may be critically impaired in terms of social skills and all she is doing may be what she thinks is right. But there are strong instances in the episode that proved that she felt bad about the unsalvageable Moulton. We can see there that Koguma does understand how painful it is to lose something important.

That aside, I loved the callback to Episode 1. I have to check if Shii actually appeared during Koguma's uphill climb to school, but to reveal that this "new" character was actually the one responsible for this whole adventure was... cute, to say the least.

And now, to watch the finale...
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-23, 10:30   Link #179
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I have to check if Shii actually appeared during Koguma's uphill climb to school, but to reveal that this "new" character was actually the one responsible for this whole adventure was... cute, to say the least.
Shii does appear for all of a few frames, powering up the hill Koguma struggles with. According to the author, Shii was inspired by GochiUsa's Chino Kafuu and originally had a much smaller role.
Old 2021-06-23, 10:56   Link #180
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Here's a thought to ponder - Would some of Koguma's and Reiko's actions be considered less objectionable if they were boys? Not would it be less objectionable, but would it be thought of as such? Because in many ways, Reiko especially acts like a guy, and Koguma has picked up some of that attitude. So is at least part of the criticism being leveled at Koguma really just a complaint that she's not being feminine enough?

Discuss.

Tags
motorcycles