AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2015-11-15, 12:27   Link #2881
bakato

Qrow's weapon didn't look like a scythe.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-15, 12:40   Link #2882
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
It seems to be pretty unique in that it's the only weapon in the show that looks like it has 3 forms instead of the usual 2. There's the regular sword, the shotgun(?), and the scythe which I'm assuming Qrow only whips out when he's serious or doing special attacks.

Now that I think about it, if the above holds true then Qrow's weapon is essentially the Burial Blade from Bloodborne except the gun is integrated into the blade

P.S. Is it just me or does Winter look like she was enjoying that fight, she seemed almost disappointed they were stopped. I'm now pretty sure they don't hate each as much as they seem to.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-15, 12:43   Link #2883
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raviel View Post
It seems to be pretty unique in that it's the only weapon in the show that looks like it has 3 forms instead of the usual 2. There's the regular sword, the shotgun(?), and the scythe which I'm assuming Qrow only whips out when he's serious or doing special attacks.

Now that I think about it, if the above holds true then Qrow's weapon is essentially the Burial Blade from Bloodborne except the gun is integrated into the blade

P.S. Is it just me or does Winter look like she was enjoying that fight, she seemed almost disappointed they were stopped. I'm now pretty sure they don't hate each as much as they seem to.
I'm pretty sure she was happy to get a chance to finally shut Qrow up.
Old 2015-11-15, 12:45   Link #2884
QSTraderDG86

Qrow stole the episode for me. He's such a freaking troll, but nevertheless, an intelligent troll.
QSTraderDG86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-15, 12:56   Link #2885
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
If you watch the very end of the battle, before he puts it away because he sees Ironwood, you see the blade turn perpendicular to the hilt and curve - which are clearly the first two steps in a transformation into a scythe (with the third one being the hilt elongating).

So it can become a scythe, it's just not a scythe all of the time.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-15, 14:24   Link #2886
Twi

Qrow makes me laugh. Freaking troll...
Old 2015-11-15, 15:07   Link #2887
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

This latest episode made me miss Monty so much; the Winter v. Qrow fight was...interesting. The moves felt more static and less free-flowing like the last two seasons, which almost kills it for me. It was basically a noticeable pattern hit, block, hit, block, etc. Everything else about this season has been great, though. I love the floating camera cinematography-like effect this season has. And Qrow and Ruby's re-union was great.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-15, 17:30   Link #2888
Wandering Soul

The fight between Qrow and Winter was entertaining. It certainly had style. Winter may hold her sister to high standards, but you can tell she care about Weiss.
Old 2015-11-15, 18:11   Link #2889
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Interesting. So Winter does care about Weiss in a weird sort of way.
Who knew Qrow was such a drunken troll.
The fight between Winter and Qrow was great despite not having the same speed like the last two seasons.
We also learn the leaders of the 4 Academies secretly work together to protect the Kingdoms from threats the people don't know like Cinder.
And Cinder hacks into the school to pair up her team against team CFWY for the next match.
Old 2015-11-15, 19:31   Link #2890
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I like Ozpin's quote during the meeting of the inner circle:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozpin
A guardian is a symbol of comfort. But an army is a symbol of conflict. There's an energy in the air now, a question in the back of everyone's minds... If this is the size of our defenses, then what is it we're expecting to fight?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-15, 20:08   Link #2891
mergele

With the white trailer, standing on swords seems to be a Schnee family specalty.
mergele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-15, 20:25   Link #2892
bakato

Who's Autumn?
Old 2015-11-15, 22:17   Link #2893
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
This latest episode made me miss Monty so much; the Winter v. Qrow fight was...interesting. The moves felt more static and less free-flowing like the last two seasons, which almost kills it for me. It was basically a noticeable pattern hit, block, hit, block, etc. Everything else about this season has been great, though. I love the floating camera cinematography-like effect this season has. And Qrow and Ruby's re-union was great.
Ironically, it's the way the non-fight scenes and character interactions are being handled that are selling this current season to me. I'm not sure why but with how the VAs have eased into their roles (especially Ruby), all the conversations feel more natural flow more smoothly. The fact they've given the characters more facial expressions helps them come to life even more.

Though this is not to say the fights aren't entertaining, although I do agree they feel more static compared to before.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-15, 22:32   Link #2894
mergele

We came for the fights, we stay for the characters.
mergele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-16, 00:13   Link #2895
Somnus
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Episode 3

Qrow vs. Winter. Finally a fight worth watching... which is honestly not saying much comparatively speaking. The large difference in style is now readily apparent. It's still better than the first 2 episodes, and maybe it'll get even better, but it's still a long way from what we're used to. The fights of season 3 uses a lot of scene cuts and transitions which REALLY breaks the fluidity of the action, as opposed to the single long shots of the first two which lends to its dynamic flair and motion.

At this point it's probably safe to assume that the style will be radically different now and it's time to stop expecting a return to the fights of the first 2 seasons. Either this is intentional, or it's RT pretty much admitting to the fanbase that they can't recreate that same sort of magic of the first 2. I don't know. It's still an awesome watch but I will probably have to deal with the fact that I will always feel like something will always be missing.

I personally find this odd because the new fight choreographer (Shane Newville) worked alongside for 7 years and allegedly has the same style as his late predecessor, and he was the guy who (unless I'm mistaken) animated Pyrrha's fight. We all know how good her fight with CRDL and Mercury were, and I'm not seeing any of that here. [/nitpick]
This actually voices my sentiments exactly. I know it's completely unfair to expect the magic that Monty brought to the table (I mean, it's why they hired him for RvB in the first place), but the difference between the styles is so jarring now it's unintentionally detrimental (for me). All the fights feel so...stiff. And if that's true about the Pyrrha vs. CRDL fight, then...what the hey? That was one of my favourite fights in the series. You've got it in you to do more like it.

But like it was mentioned before, what's been lost in fight quality has been gained in spades elsewhere.
Old 2015-11-16, 00:45   Link #2896
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Gotta agree with the cinematography in the episode. It no longer looks like a cutscene from a PS2 game.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-16, 03:22   Link #2897
Eragon
Still Alive

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2015-11-16, 16:09   Link #2898
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Qrow talks Ironwood down because of his lack of discreetness but starting a fight with Winter in the middle of the plaza is hardly discreet either. Not that I seriously dislike either of them.

Also it looks that team CFVY sent Coco and Yatsuhashi to the double round but not Velvet. ANOTHER CHANCE TO SEE HER WEAPON MISSED.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-16, 16:57   Link #2899
Tenzen12

Army all around makes rather obvious not everything is alright, while Winter and Qrow fighting can be treated just like lover quarrel (and noone would suspect they actually work together to save world).

So yeah in a way Qrow was discreet.
Old 2015-11-16, 21:01   Link #2900
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

As entertaining a character Qrow has turned out to be, neither he, nor the non-spectacular fight, nor the dull and boring meeting were the highlight of episode 3, at least for me. It was to see Penny "alive" and well, all repaired, and, more importantly, that her memory of Ruby had not been erased. I hope we get to see her in action again soon!

The fight was entertaining, not so much for the action (which left much to be desired; maybe it will look better when I get to watch it in HD), but for the blatant personal antagonism between the combatants. Too bad we didn't get to see the forgone conclusion. It would give us a heads-up on how a fight between Ruby and Weiss would turn out.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby