AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-09, 08:17   Link #3001
Witch of Uncertainty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgBarca View Post
But it doesn't mean that all the things that are told by another person are false.
There is still thing that you don't have to doubt.
True, but we still can't trust it unless it's confirmed in red.
Old 2010-07-09, 08:25   Link #3002
DgBarca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch of Uncertainty View Post
True, but we still can't trust it unless it's confirmed in red.
You could never reach an answer is you doubt of everything.
But in the most obvious lies (fantasy scene), those lies actually hide the truth, according to all the "love" thing and EP7 OP. So it means that you can find an answer with all the lies.

Like EP3 magic battle that is a bit of foreshadowing for the end of the game.
Beatrice seemed to be under checkmate, but in fact, Virgila was back-stabbed from the beginning.

You can make another theory with those "illusion that tell the truth" whit EP1 2nd twilight and EP4.
Kanon cutting bars of iron in EP4 could be referring to Kanon cutting the door chain in EP1. Moreover, there is the spell "circle" that mention "cutting bars of iron".
But it seems to be the contrary in EP2 fir Jessica's room. Ho...Kanon "killed" Jessica's love story. Even suit Beato says that "you betrayed her hope and harmed her badly". It could be a motive for Jessica to kill Kanon.
Old 2010-07-09, 08:27   Link #3003
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniesk View Post
Am i the only one that thinks that the mirror scene just mean that Shannon killed someone? Kinzo or Kanon maybe. Afterall breaking a mirror is clearly an analogy of breaking her fate. As we know from the dialogue of Beatrice at the of ep4 it is possible that Kinzo abused "her" (assuming she is Shannon, witch to be honest, i'm not so sure of) and maybe she killed him to free herself from him. Do we know exactly how Kinzo died? If i recall, Nanjo just says that he died peacefully, but as the body was hidden, no one ever performed a proper autopsy.
Or she may have killed Kanon (or her other personality, or whatever he is), but i don't want to go into a Shkannon theory, witch i don't support.
Well, you'd have to have a chain of causation from Battler to the murders, but I think it's still supportable:

Battler Sins -> Shannon Affected By Sin -> Shannon Causes Kinzo's Death -> Kinzo's Will/Coverup Causes Murders to Occur

However, I'm still not sure there's ever been any evidence that Kinzo died any way other than peacefully in his room, so we have to ask why we should doubt that. We'd also have to ask about the timing of the mirror breaking scene relative to when Kinzo is reputed to have died. And also of why Shannon would believe that Kinzo dying would free her (she can just... you know... leave).
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Old 2010-07-09, 09:17   Link #3004
Sniesk
It's Hammertime!

Beatrice said (not in red) that Battler's sin is just one of the cause for the murders, so the whole crime is probably caused by more factors. After all, i find it hard to believe that a broken promise of a 12y.o. boy to a 10y.o. girl can just by itself cause the death of an entire family.

Regarding Shannon, if Kinzo used to abuse her, i don't think he would have let her leave without doing anything. And the mirror scene is definetly something to be taken as a metaphor,
unless she really believed that she would be freed by the witch Beatrice...
Old 2010-07-09, 09:55   Link #3005
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

What is your take about the fact that Beatrice couldn't repeat in red that the six FT victims of EP3 were all killed by other people?

So far the easiest explanation was: "Kinzo died of old age, so of course Beatrice couldn't repeat that."

Old 2010-07-09, 10:06   Link #3006
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Actually, one of the best ways for Kinzo to screw everyone over at once is suicide.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-07-09, 10:08   Link #3007
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

None of the six people committed suicide!

Old 2010-07-09, 10:48   Link #3008
Witch of Uncertainty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DgBarca View Post
You could never reach an answer is you doubt of everything.
But in the most obvious lies (fantasy scene), those lies actually hide the truth, according to all the "love" thing and EP7 OP. So it means that you can find an answer with all the lies.

Like EP3 magic battle that is a bit of foreshadowing for the end of the game.
Beatrice seemed to be under checkmate, but in fact, Virgila was back-stabbed from the beginning.

You can make another theory with those "illusion that tell the truth" whit EP1 2nd twilight and EP4.
Kanon cutting bars of iron in EP4 could be referring to Kanon cutting the door chain in EP1. Moreover, there is the spell "circle" that mention "cutting bars of iron".
But it seems to be the contrary in EP2 fir Jessica's room. Ho...Kanon "killed" Jessica's love story. Even suit Beato says that "you betrayed her hope and harmed her badly". It could be a motive for Jessica to kill Kanon.
Of course I doubt anything. The only thing the fantasy-side is showing, is the characters true personalities. Like how Shannon only wanted George to tell her that he loves her before they were killed, or how she sacrificed herself, protecting Kanon, in ep 3. The scenes themselves can't be trusted, since they are not seen by the detective.
Old 2010-07-09, 12:29   Link #3009
Sniesk
It's Hammertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
What is your take about the fact that Beatrice couldn't repeat in red that the six FT victims of EP3 were all killed by other people?

So far the easiest explanation was: "Kinzo died of old age, so of course Beatrice couldn't repeat that."
uhm you're right, i forgot that. Well in that twilight it may still be something related to Kanon death if we want to take the hard way.
Old 2010-07-09, 12:35   Link #3010
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:

You can be the cause of someone's death without killing them. I was quite careful in wording it that way for exactly that reason. If someone did "kill" Kinzo, it's very probable that it had nothing whatsoever to do with murdering him. Someone could have been indirectly responsible for his otherwise perfectly natural death.

But generally speaking, I agree with your explanation and suspect that is exactly why Beatrice wouldn't say it.

Old 2010-07-09, 13:39   Link #3011
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniesk View Post
uhm you're right, i forgot that. Well in that twilight it may still be something related to Kanon death if we want to take the hard way.
I asked you this question because you have already stated that you don't support shkanon.

The idea that someone died of some kind of natural cause or accident just in the middle of the game is extremely improbable.

The probability increases greatly if someone died before the start of the game. We know that's the case with Kinzo. If you think Kinzo was killed, then you are only left with the theory that Kanon died of some natural cause or accident before the start of the game. But that inevitably leads to shkanon.

Quote:
You can be the cause of someone's death without killing them. I was quite careful in wording it that way for exactly that reason. If someone did "kill" Kinzo, it's very probable that it had nothing whatsoever to do with murdering him. Someone could have been indirectly responsible for his otherwise perfectly natural death.
Beatrice wouldn't have failed to use that at her advantage if that was the case.

She would have said in red:

"no one died of natural causes."
"no one died because of an accident."

That would have been a totally perfect checkmate, Battler would have never thought about any kind of counter. He would have just thought that everyone including Kinzo was killed.

Old 2010-07-09, 13:47   Link #3012
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Not at all. Here's what I mean:

Someone's actions caused Kinzo to become more reclusive. Because he was more reclusive, his condition worsened sooner. But for becoming a shut-in, Kinzo may have lived longer. Because he died when he did instead of slightly later, various events occurred culminating in Oct. 5, 1986.

Kinzo was not killed, and still died of natural causes; however, someone's actions still created the present scenario.

It's similar to a legal doctrine called proximate cause. If I'm walking down the street and you swerve out of the road to avoid me, and are crushed by a train coming the other way, no one can say I killed you in red. I didn't kill you; the train killed you. I took no action of any kind. However, I was the cause of your death because, if I hadn't been there, you wouldn't have swerved, and the train wouldn't have killed you.

In this sense, someone can be "responsible for" a death, but have had nothing to do with the actual thing that killed the person.

Old 2010-07-09, 13:54   Link #3013
Oliver

...incidentally, in one instance Nanjo seems to imply (open to interpretation) that Kinzo's full shut in started after Battler left.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-07-09, 14:06   Link #3014
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Not at all. Here's what I mean:

Someone's actions caused Kinzo to become more reclusive. Because he was more reclusive, his condition worsened sooner. But for becoming a shut-in, Kinzo may have lived longer. Because he died when he did instead of slightly later, various events occurred culminating in Oct. 5, 1986.

Kinzo was not killed, and still died of natural causes; however, someone's actions still created the present scenario.

It's similar to a legal doctrine called proximate cause. If I'm walking down the street and you swerve out of the road to avoid me, and are crushed by a train coming the other way, no one can say I killed you in red. I didn't kill you; the train killed you. I took no action of any kind. However, I was the cause of your death because, if I hadn't been there, you wouldn't have swerved, and the train wouldn't have killed you.

In this sense, someone can be "responsible for" a death, but have had nothing to do with the actual thing that killed the person.
With this logic there would be no end to how many cause of deaths you can find.
According to the chaos theory and the butterfly effect I might have "caused" the death of thousands of people just by whistling when I was 4.

Anyway we were talking about the metaphorical meaning of the breaking of the mirror. This definitely implies a decision and a deliberate action. I can hardly see how this can be a metaphor of an indirect cause of death.

Old 2010-07-09, 14:13   Link #3015
Oliver

Quote:
Anyway we were talking about the metaphorical meaning of the breaking of the mirror. This definitely implies a decision and a deliberate action. I can hardly see how this can be a metaphor of an indirect cause of death.
...telling Kinzo a lie that actually did him in.
That is, broke his will to hang on.

(updated 2010-08-24)
Old 2010-07-09, 14:23   Link #3016
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
With this logic there would be no end to how many cause of deaths you can find.
According to the chaos theory and the butterfly effect I might have "caused" the death of thousands of people just by whistling when I was 4.

That's why the law of proximate cause assigns a "but-for" standard to determining how far back you can actually stretch the chain of causation. It's not that important.

But as Oliver said, someone who lied to Kinzo, or said something to Kinzo, or revealed a truth to Kinzo, could "break his will to live," leading him to shut himself away and slowly die. This person didn't "kill" Kinzo, they may not have even been wanting him to die; but they were, in a sense, "responsible" for it.

Old 2010-07-09, 14:56   Link #3017
Disz

I honestly refuse to believe this is an actual mirror.Also, I refuse to believe she killed someone.Responsible for someones death is a bit more believable, but I'm not buying it.I think it has something to do with her.She's talking about how she's going to break the times she was treated ill, and ''Beatrice'' persuades her to believe its a mirror she's supposed to break?First of all, if were all aware when Sayo claims to see ''Beatrice'', it's a fantasy scene.

So in her head,she thought to break the memories,she had to go to this old shrine, and break something.We just need to know what that ''something'' is, and is she literally, breaking it?

Also,are there any clues that shows she's done this in any other episode?
Old 2010-07-09, 18:27   Link #3018
Thunder Book
Endless Member

IIRC something about the shrine is mentioned in the beginning of Episode 1.
Old 2010-07-09, 19:13   Link #3019
Laserworm
Maelstorm-Fenrir

Send a message via AIM to Laserworm Send a message via MSN to Laserworm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disz View Post
I honestly refuse to believe this is an actual mirror.Also, I refuse to believe she killed someone.Responsible for someones death is a bit more believable, but I'm not buying it.I think it has something to do with her.She's talking about how she's going to break the times she was treated ill, and ''Beatrice'' persuades her to believe its a mirror she's supposed to break?First of all, if were all aware when Sayo claims to see ''Beatrice'', it's a fantasy scene.

So in her head,she thought to break the memories,she had to go to this old shrine, and break something.We just need to know what that ''something'' is, and is she literally, breaking it?

Also,are there any clues that shows she's done this in any other episode?
This is just a thought but maybe the mirror stands for, her reflection. Breaking away from her old self.
Old 2010-07-09, 20:24   Link #3020
Disz

I'll go with that for now.I'll keep reading and see what I come up with.

@ThunderBook: Do you know which chapter?I need to re read that.
Closed Thread