Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-20, 13:54   Link #381
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Maybe...those limitations/rules are:
- The chance to draw those hands is about 15-20% (That's pretty high already, I think)
That's way too high. You're talking about Luck-based Yakuman hands here. Though, with a series like this, the author can do whatever... but still...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 23:32   Link #382
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Way too high? We had people who would constantly win east round, manipulate the senses of their opponents, create a non-tenpai aura, be able to rinshan tsumo at will, win by sheer beginners luck, manipulate the flow of the game and you think 15% is too high?
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 01:07   Link #383
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
Way too high? We had people who would constantly win east round, manipulate the senses of their opponents, create a non-tenpai aura, be able to rinshan tsumo at will, win by sheer beginners luck, manipulate the flow of the game and you think 15% is too high?
(Heaven, Earth, and Man) -- Tenhou, Chihou, Renhou.

You're talking about these hands, right? These three are among the hardest Yakuman to get, just because they're exceptionally luck based, which requires a complete hand at the deal.

http://tenhou.net/sc/prof.html

Heaven hand (Tenhou - 天和) is at the very bottom of that list. To think, a 13-wait Kokushi is just above it.

===

However...

Winning East Rounds on a consistent basis. Yes, I'll put this occurrence on an order of 15-25% for good players.
Old 2012-04-21, 01:18   Link #384
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
That reminds me of this blogpost from back when the 1st season aired.
Old 2012-04-21, 02:29   Link #385
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
(Heaven, Earth, and Man) -- Tenhou, Chihou, Renhou.

You're talking about these hands, right? These three are among the hardest Yakuman to get, just because they're exceptionally luck based, which requires a complete hand at the deal.

http://tenhou.net/sc/prof.html

Heaven hand (Tenhou - 天和) is at the very bottom of that list. To think, a 13-wait Kokushi is just above it.

===

However...

Winning East Rounds on a consistent basis. Yes, I'll put this occurrence on an order of 15-25% for good players.
Good job taking the weakest power while completely ignoring the other crazy hax powers. Well done sir, you have really proven your point.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 03:03   Link #386
Peanutbutter

I think posting this is okay, I hope.

Ep 3 will have a 2nd ED...interesting.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 10:02   Link #387
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I finally got around to watching the first two episodes of this, as I was a big fan of the original.

It was great to see younger Nodoka in the first episode. Amusing how large her breasts were even back then.

The overall feel and tone of this show is much like the original Saki anime is, and that's great, as it helps to give a greater sense of continuity (or at least of these two anime shows both happening in the same shared universe). The OP and ED of this show is a lot like the ones for the Saki anime, and you even have some BGM tunes shared between the two anime shows.

All of the characters so far are at least decently likable, and all of these positives put together makes for a good, "easy viewing" experience.

However, I do have a couple of disappointments:

1. The lack of quasi-super powers so far, but hopefully this will improve. Hopefully at least one or two of these new girls will have notable Magical Mahjong Mastery powers, like many of the key characters and competitors in the original Saki anime did. For me, that was a lot of the fun and pizazz of the original Saki.

2. Too much sameness amongst the character designs. Unfortunately, this is something that won't change. The original Saki anime benefited from great variations in hair color, eye color, hair/clothing accessories, eye glasses (or none) and character shape/size (Tacos' shortness, Nodoka's boobs ). Heck, even the competing schools in the original Saki anime tended to have teams with loads of distinctiveness in appearance for each and every one of its club members. But that's definitely not the case here, so I'm finding it much harder to sort of "latch on" to these new main protagonists because there's relatively few visual cues to tell them apart with. Thankfully their personalities are helpful here (one being just like Haruhi's Mikuru Asahina, amusingly enough), but it doesn't quite make up for the sameness of the character designs.

All-told, these two issues for me (with at least one being permanent) will likely mean I won't like this as much as I did the original Saki anime. But there's still enough charm to this show that I'll probably find it a decent enough watch anyway.
Old 2012-04-21, 12:57   Link #388
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
However, I do have a couple of disappointments
Just want to say I share the sentiment,I guess the lack of superpowers comes from the lack of real focus on mahjong so far,however I'm quite confident that will change.

I had a hard time with the designs before the show began airing however the VAs have done a nice job in bringing out the individuality in each girl.

That being said like you I still quite like the show overall and I'm sure the best as yet to come! Kuro's my favorite girl so far.Zettai + HanaKana?That's a lethal combo.
Old 2012-04-21, 14:22   Link #389
Kyuu
=^^=

On the Mahjong super-powers... then can only be a certain number of capabilities to this game -- and season 1 did dump out a whole lot of that. Thing is: super-powers that should come out of an eventual season 2 for the Nationals tournament should remain there.

That would leave Achiga with... not so many powers to work with. Although - they could bring out Hotei (instead of Haitei) into this series.
Old 2012-04-22, 01:05   Link #390
Scarletknive
Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
On the Mahjong super-powers... then can only be a certain number of capabilities to this game -- and season 1 did dump out a whole lot of that. Thing is: super-powers that should come out of an eventual season 2 for the Nationals tournament should remain there.

That would leave Achiga with... not so many powers to work with. Although - they could bring out Hotei (instead of Haitei) into this series.
Maybe the powers haven't awaken yet.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 12:06   Link #391
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Tiny spoiler for episode 3 regarding new ED since it just aired.
Spoiler:

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 12:32   Link #392
Midonin
Last Engage

Shizu's incredibly hot blooded. That scene where she kept yelling, with the flaming aura, was hilarious and kind of inspiring. The show's still moving at an incredibly fast clip (Bansei, for all the talk of their prowess, went down like chumps), but this episode really tied the universe together. Seeing the Ryuumonbuchi team again, not to mention Saki herself, and that closing narration, tied everything together. Even if the first season stopped just short of the nationals, not an episode has gone by where they haven't reminded us that this is still the same universe we visited those years ago.

Even though Saki was probably lost, she struck fear into the hearts of another team. I wonder if she's aware of that.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 13:37   Link #393
Sol Falling

I'm usually fond of Yuuki Aoi, but I'm actually not really feeling her Shizu voice here...for whatever reason. Somewhat disappointing. Speaking of voice acting though, man, Cela, jesus (that's the red/orange-haired Senriyama tomboy, for anime-only people). What the hell was that voice. For a character I vaguely liked in the source material, that introduction was kinda atrocious.

In any case, although they sped past the mahjong in this episode, content-wise it did force me to realize one thing. Namely: these are the fucking Nationals, guys (lol). After two and a half years, they are here, in anime form. It didn't really strike me earlier because the Saki manga has been in the nationals for a while now, but from the perspective of the anime, this is a pretty big thing. So yeah, although I've been complaining about the execution of the anime for a little while now--screw that (lol), I'm excited for what's coming next.

Nice alternative ED to cap of the episode, this time around. Good stuff. I'm looking forward to next week.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 13:38   Link #394
Peanutbutter

I wonder how much people will be surprised watching this episode 3.

From a manga reader point of view, I'm pretty satisfied to see how they "padded" this episode, particularly with references all over.

Well, though I never quite like the pace in the series so far, the real show is later and really, that's all that'll matter.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 13:44   Link #395
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Oh man i'm so excited right now. First i thought it would be like the first series and just chronicle their fight to the nationals. Glad they got rid of Bansei in the first round. Then thought they would show the matches during the training camps. Glad we got a cameo from Ryuumonbuchi. So they already met Senriyama, i'm guessing the sickly girl is their ace. Knowing Saki she is probably lost, but glad we got to finally see her. So the rest of the series is just going to be the nationals, hope we see Kiyosumi's and Shiraitodai's matches.
Old 2012-04-22, 15:23   Link #396
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Today, in achiga-hen
Spoiler for Your trip must've been quite long:

And of course, the moment we've all been waiting for
Spoiler for Nodoka is mine, and no one else's:

Other things to notice
Spoiler for Various:

Last edited by Requiem-x; 2012-04-22 at 15:33.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 15:31   Link #397
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
I'm usually fond of Yuuki Aoi, but I'm actually not really feeling her Shizu voice here...for whatever reason....
Japanese commenters seem to love the voice, but it isn't my favorite Ao-voice, either. However the heavy breathing as she was running up at the beginning of the episode was amazing. And I thought the characterization was good, always giving the feeling of rushing ahead enthusiastically, especially in the latter part of ep3. And there is something about her voice that just stabs the emotion into you -- or at least into me.

Yuuki Aoi's deepest fans most love her performance as Riko in Kiruminzu, where she was given enormous latitude to do as she pleased, and runs the gamut of voices and sounds. It's a little much even for me, but pretty amazing.

As for this episode, I was amazed by the speed, but they made it all work, and the episode was over before I realized it. Somehow, they are giving me good emotional hits all the way through. Is it the music? Is the voices?

I have updated my characters/seiyuus page to include Ryuumonbuchi and Kiyosumi.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 15:37   Link #398
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

So, where's the mahjong? Give me more mahjong man!

Anyways, although clash of superpowers like the original anime is always fun to watch, keeping reality warping limited can be good for actual learning (IIRC Nodoka's moves were generally actually pretty insightful in real situations, while moves from Saki and Koromo are well... yeah). Regardless though, I can't wait to see some actual playing.
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 16:10   Link #399
maplehurry

saki's skirt becomes longer, wtf ???
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-22, 16:22   Link #400
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
saki's skirt becomes longer, wtf ???
This is somewhat of a VERY MINOR spoiler from the original series manga, (Nothing to do with the plot; it's that minor) but I'll place it in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler:

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT

Last edited by ultimatemegax; 2012-04-22 at 16:36.
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri