AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Bleach

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-11-10, 22:52   Link #1
Zbuffer

How strong is Shigekuni Yamamoto?

How strong is Shigekuni Yamamoto? we've never seen him fight any real fights in the anime , how about in the manga ? Highest Ranked among the Gotei-13 , has a rietsu to wieght down nanao-chan who is lieutenant class shinigami

We never seen his Bankai , perhaps we never will ,
Old 2006-11-10, 23:09   Link #2
Zakura_Angel64
Trapped in a dream

well he IS the number 1 capt of the gotei 13 I'd think he's pretty damn strong, but I don't know if he could beat aizen as aizen has Kyouka Suigetsu, and I don't think it was hard for him to bring down a vice-capt, cause he didn't really do much
Old 2006-11-10, 23:11   Link #3
astrallionheart

Very strong against hollows, as his attacks are extremely powerful.

In terms of abilities though, they don't seem particularly difficult to defeat, once you get past the power. So, a powerful shinigami with special abilities I'm sure won't find it impossible to defeat Yamamoto.

What I don't understand in Bleach, is why the characters are all so retarded in terms of recognizing matchups. It's like no one has a brain, except maybe Rukia and Ishida, though perhaps that is only true because they tend to be weaker and have to find a cerebral way to win.

In One Piece, many characters wield sea-stone weapons to gain an advantage against other characters who use the Devil's Fruit. In the same token, it's very strange that no character has been seen wielding the eternity stone as a weapon, since it's known to severely weaken spirit force, giving characters who have kidoh or special attack properties a huge advantage against powerful opponents should they use it.

In Bleach, characters seem to be practically inable to adapt to new opponents. It's kind of sad really, but maybe it was made this way to highlight rock-paper-scissors...or something. For example, Aizen's ability appears to be easily countered, we've seen him use it twice (shunpo with a lasting image). But we already know, people who haven't mastered shunpo (Renji, Ichigo) can counter it with quick-draw (iajutsu). If the Shinigami divisions ever actually communicate with each other about their experiences in battle, everyone would have such an easy time defeating opponents. Maybe Gotei 13 is supposed to represent the US intelligence agency and all the infighting and distrust? Who knows.
Old 2006-11-10, 23:21   Link #4
Zakura_Angel64
Trapped in a dream

if everyone was equal in power, there'd be nothing to watch except power vsing power, slash slash, lots of flashes, then ends with a huge boom

if they are unbalanced, it's interesting to see how the weaker one comes up with a plan
Old 2006-11-11, 00:26   Link #5
hdx514
馬甲

there's no more showcasing of power in manga besides further displays of senility. he's definitely stronger than any of the existing good captains by a wide margin, but as far as the souls character book is concerned, yamaji is just a big ass tree, while aizen's beyond the stars
Old 2006-11-11, 01:29   Link #6
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallionheart View Post
In One Piece, many characters wield sea-stone weapons to gain an advantage against other characters who use the Devil's Fruit. In the same token, it's very strange that no character has been seen wielding the eternity stone as a weapon, since it's known to severely weaken spirit force, giving characters who have kidoh or special attack properties a huge advantage against powerful opponents should they use it.
Because it would drain the energy of anyone who was holding it. Unlike in One Piece where kairoseki can be handled with care (like Smoker) or without care if they don't have Devil's Fruit powers, the eternity stone will drain the reiatsu of anyone who is near it, including the person who is holding it. Since the person holding it is closest, his powers are the most depleted. And everyone relies on reiatsu to fight. Everyone. Even hand-to-hand fighters use their reiatsu for speed and strength. So everyone is adversely effected by trying to use it as a weapon.

Now you know why they don't do it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-11-11, 01:42   Link #7
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
I think Yamamoto is THE strongest Shinigami, period. I think that if he DID have the chance to hand Aizen's ass back to him, he'd have done it already.
Old 2006-11-12, 16:34   Link #8
Zbuffer

Maybe just an oldguy with a uber strong rietsu ... but poor fightning abilities?
Old 2006-11-12, 20:25   Link #9
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Well, the answer is simple: We don't know how strong he is, because it was never really shown.
Personally I think he is the most overrated character in the Bleach Universe and has already been outstripped by Characters like Aizen and Ichigo.
I'm not too sure of that, Ichigo has never been shown to be able to floor any one with just his power alone. Azein may be as strong or stronger since be pulled a similer stunt with grim but the big differnce is it was killing Nanao, she couldn't breath, while Grim was no where near as bad off but then he is much stronger.
Quote:
Are you sure, that it drains everyone's power? So what about the guards, who should be guarding the tower, where they held Rukia?
And there should be persons, who don't get affected... humans like Orihime or Ishida for example. Especially the Quincys don't get their power from Reiatsu, but from absorbing those spirit particles.
Unlike sea stone, which seems to act instantly even with small amounts, eternity stone slowly drains away Reiatsu on anyone near by and it seems to require large buildins of the stuff to drain someone. The guards are likely changed every few hours so they aren't weakend too much. Also everyone uses Reiatsu even Quincys, they use their Reiatsu to absorb and shape external spirit particles to fight with. These proerties make for a poor choose for makeing weapons with. Unless your weapon of prefrence is to hit them with a building and trap them under it
Old 2006-11-12, 23:58   Link #10
TwilightHack
~ Madoka = Win ~

While we don't know how "strong" he is... it's safe to say he's pretty damn strong.

I mean he fought against both Kyoraku and Ukitake at the same time... them being arguably two of the strongest of the existing captains.
Old 2006-11-13, 11:03   Link #11
hdx514
馬甲

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightHack View Post
I mean he fought against both Kyoraku and Ukitake at the same time... them being arguably two of the strongest of the existing captains.
which would be really impressive if shunshui and ukitate were shown lying on the ground after the fight. too bad they got away with minor bruises, and they were only using shikai. so yamaji's also using shikai. so what, kenpachi faced two captains who both went bankai and he managed to waste one all the while without knowning his zanpakutou's bloody name. so what if shunshui and ukitate are senior captains, yamaji taught them himself, he most definitely knew their abilities inside out, that's a huge advantage like no other. on the other hand, kenpachi didn't even know what's under komamura's mask
Old 2006-11-13, 14:43   Link #12
hitokirigirl
Japanestyle

I'd say as strong as.........that old fart in Dragon Ball

Honestly, why bothering yourself with such a question ?

He didn't have a chance to use his shiny muscles against Ukitake and Shunsui, he's the stereotype of the old-sage-wise geezer in the million anime out here, and lastly he's of no use except for managing SS and spouting orders here and there.

Besides, does he have some coolness ? Heck, I want a bunch of Zaraki and Mayuri-likes instead.

And to answer your question : we don't know
Old 2006-11-13, 19:01   Link #13
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Did they really fight?
My memory was, that they just stood there for a while and then there already came the message about Aizen. I think I have to rewatch a few episodes.
They were injured to an extent (at least Ukitake was, see chapter 172) with like a cut above the eye or something... nothing major. The sparring (or whatever you want to call it) was basically implied.. =/
Old 2006-11-14, 11:57   Link #14
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Atleast to me Yamaji is closest to God in Bleach universe . There maybe some who's face is stuck to Aizen butt may care to disagree . I have two things to say

a) We have never seen Aizen go against Yamaji so yeah speculate away

b) I do remember Aizen making a hasty exit with negation at the apperance of Yamaji and co , wonder why

Yamaji owns Aizen ( Shinigami ) Why ?? When Yamaji is de-robed and in combat mode I see scars battle scars . If anyone does plan to counter this argument regarding Scars do please post better points then those Scars are Scratch Marks

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2006-11-14 at 13:54.
Old 2006-11-14, 13:25   Link #15
Ichimaru

his disadvantage is stamina+age....
Old 2006-11-14, 13:39   Link #16
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichimaru View Post
his disadvantage is stamina+age....
But when he go into Super Yamaji mode blasting soul power I really think stamina and age are not restricting factors also age brings about experience . Regarding stamina well Yamaji as he rarely goes to Super Yamaji mode coz of that I would say he is an oasis of Leatsu .

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2006-11-14 at 13:53.
Old 2006-11-14, 21:03   Link #17
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Atleast to me Yamaji is closest to God in Bleach universe . There maybe some who's face is stuck to Aizen butt may care to disagree . I have two things to say

a) We have never seen Aizen go against Yamaji so yeah speculate away

b) I do remember Aizen making a hasty exit with negation at the apperance of Yamaji and co , wonder why

Yamaji owns Aizen ( Shinigami ) Why ?? When Yamaji is de-robed and in combat mode I see scars battle scars . If anyone does plan to counter this argument regarding Scars do please post better points then those Scars are Scratch Marks
Agreed.

*filler text*
Old 2006-11-15, 01:59   Link #18
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Actually I have it on good authority that he got all those marks from being scratched by his pet cat. Really! He used to keep a pet sabre tooth tiger cat ever since he beat it up when he was 8 years old. They really are scratch marks.

Okay... I made all that up, but it could be true! (Oh god, I'm so bored right now.)

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-11-15, 02:11   Link #19
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Actually I have it on good authority that he got all those marks from being scratched by his pet cat. Really! He used to keep a pet sabre tooth tiger cat ever since he beat it up when he was 8 years old. They really are scratch marks.
His sewing machine malfunctioned, actually.
Old 2006-11-15, 09:26   Link #20
Varis
Composed Eccentric

Send a message via AIM to Varis Send a message via Yahoo to Varis
the scars... looks like he is into S&M

as for power... sure he is strong and now we know he works out but someone as feeble as him can't fight anyone other then zaraki and that's only because zaraki would love to fight him straight on.

A lot of battlescars are no complement, they are proof of your screwups in combat.

If he would have done a good job with his preparations for the war (gather intelligence on the enemy) and get past his arrogance to team up with Ichigo and Uruhara, I would have a far higher opinion of the old man.
Closed Thread