Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 18:27   Link #62
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Christmas is the best time of the year which family get together and also we exchange gifts... Christmas is not all about gifts, by the way.
When you don't have the family, the gifts is all that's left. =( Except I don't have those either. =|
Old 2009-12-06, 18:39   Link #63
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Jingle Bell Rock ftw
I played it along with the Jazz Band when I was in junior high, as well as some other Xmas Jazz songs =3
Yeah, I like it too, a lot!

Now we're at it, I also love these ones

and some other ones XD
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-06, 18:42   Link #64
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I loved a lot of Christmas songs... at least until I saw Nostalgia Chick's "Top Ten Disturbing and Inescapable Christmas Songs". I'll never be able to look at Baby It's Cold Outside the same way ever again.
Old 2009-12-07, 06:48   Link #65
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Christmas is the best time of the year which family get together and also we exchange gifts... Christmas is not all about gifts, by the way.

I agree, holiday music can get tiring after one song since it's basicly the same... and it becomes a big earworm... once holiday music play, they get stuck in your mind forever (perhaps not... but...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
There's one thing though that I absolutely despise about Christmas...

Holiday music.

Like, yeah.
I wanna take up a challenge and toss a few Christmas tunes to you and Irenicus. What aspect of festive tunes turn you off so?
The cheesiness?
The lyrics?
The rhythm?
The repetitiveness?

Besides it's only played for 1 month outta twelve, chill a little.
Look beyond the traditional to find some really "interesting" Christmas tunes out here that'll just make you laugh... or cringe *snickers*

The challenge being that I'd send you a few via email to see what you think, although they're not for the feint hearted (well... quite a few are SFW) but they very much have that 'Christmas vibe' in them

That and Christmas tunes are wide in variety. They all don't sing about peace, love and joy (that's mainly carols), lots sing about snow itself, should dig around some Sinatra tunes and listen to that rich, velvety voice though
And then there's modern stuff about as well in all kinds of genres of music, so it depends what kind of music you typically like
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I hate Christmas music.

I used to be okay with it, back when I had a family and friends to spend the holidays with. But now it just reminds me how alone I am. It's like I'm a ghost.
Well only if you wanna be alone.
"It's a state of mind".
That quote has quite some truth to it, you're on the internet, you're not quite 'alone'.
Alone is if you're cut off without any form of communication, internet, telephone or even letter wise and are secluded in your room.
I dunno where you live, so to walk around town to see the lights or chill in the park is an idea.
As for the internet, skype is free. They'll be plenty of scrooges about proclaiming loud and proud how much they hate Christmas, so just find a bunch of pple, make a chat room and bitch away for the day, lol.

Not saying you have to do that specifically, but the idea being, we're connected to the world via here. Push a few peeps or hang in some chat rooms and see what's about that you may be able to participate in during the day.
To sit and brood won't change the fact that you're by yourself, but how you wanna spend the day is up to you, positively or negatively.

Quote:
And before some smartass says "hurr go make friends hurr" I'll remind you that I am not a child anymore, and as an adult, money is required to make friends. As I have been unemployed for nine months, money is something I lack.
I'll be the smart ass for you then:
Go search around the net for fellow groups or forums or chatrooms that you can interact with people. If you have a bunch of befriended peeps on Asuki, bug others and see what they're about.
Email peeps you've not talked to in ages, keep in contact.
I've made and met some amazing people online, all it cost me was my time, my efforts, my energy and the bill of electricity (to run a laptop and modem) and the monthly bill to me ISP

Anyways, end of thread hijacking (if that is the correct term)

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 13:01   Link #66
Lonestar9

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonestar9
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I hate Christmas music.

I used to be okay with it, back when I had a family and friends to spend the holidays with. But now it just reminds me how alone I am. It's like I'm a ghost.

And before some smartass says "hurr go make friends hurr" I'll remind you that I am not a child anymore, and as an adult, money is required to make friends. As I have been unemployed for nine months, money is something I lack.
If you feel alone, voluntering for something would help fill that gap. Also, you don't require $$ to have friends, as you can hang out with friends and not spend $$, just chill/relax, maybe get fed. Now money is needed if they want to go out to eat, movies, etc..but otherwise, not true.
Lonestar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 13:03   Link #67
Lonestar9

Send a message via Yahoo to Lonestar9
This year my parents are visiting my wife and I from Costa Rica, so that will be the first time in several years they are around at this time. Because our first child is due any day now, though the 20th is the 'official' date given to us by the docs. It's going to be a totally different time this year. I like Christmas lights, decorations, gifts, heck, even some music. It's only once a year so I try to make the best of it.
Lonestar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 13:06   Link #68
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'll suggest volunteering as well... the cheapest way to interact with people.
Old 2009-12-07, 15:09   Link #69
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Well only if you wanna be alone.
"It's a state of mind".
That quote has quite some truth to it, you're on the internet, you're not quite 'alone'.
Alone is if you're cut off without any form of communication, internet, telephone or even letter wise and are secluded in your room.
I dunno where you live, so to walk around town to see the lights or chill in the park is an idea.
As for the internet, skype is free. They'll be plenty of scrooges about proclaiming loud and proud how much they hate Christmas, so just find a bunch of pple, make a chat room and bitch away for the day, lol.

Not saying you have to do that specifically, but the idea being, we're connected to the world via here. Push a few peeps or hang in some chat rooms and see what's about that you may be able to participate in during the day.
To sit and brood won't change the fact that you're by yourself, but how you wanna spend the day is up to you, positively or negatively.

I'll be the smart ass for you then:
Go search around the net for fellow groups or forums or chatrooms that you can interact with people. If you have a bunch of befriended peeps on Asuki, bug others and see what they're about.
Email peeps you've not talked to in ages, keep in contact.
I've made and met some amazing people online, all it cost me was my time, my efforts, my energy and the bill of electricity (to run a laptop and modem) and the monthly bill to me ISP

Anyways, end of thread hijacking (if that is the correct term)
I was actually referring more to family than anything. I know I'm not "alone" as in I have people I can spend time with, talk to on the phone or on the internet but... family is not so easily replaced.

It's actually gotten to the point whenever I hear my friends talking to/about their mom, that I tear up a little. I really miss having a mom--not necessarily MY mother, who was no less hostile to me than the rest of my family.

Just a sort of mother figure, that I lack in my life... someone to talk with about what's going on with each other and such, someone to help me with those girl problems... I don't have that, and even when my mother and I were on speaking terms, I didn't have that. She never accepted me as her daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar9 View Post
If you feel alone, voluntering for something would help fill that gap. Also, you don't require $$ to have friends, as you can hang out with friends and not spend $$, just chill/relax, maybe get fed. Now money is needed if they want to go out to eat, movies, etc..but otherwise, not true.
This is true, but most of my friends live scattered all over the country... I have moved around a LOT (basically following work, moving to wherever I could find employment) and thus to hang out with most of them I'd need a plane ticket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I am actually taking this advice to heart... I am going to sign up to teach computer classes to underprivileged and low-income folks. Put my skills and knowledge to some good use and further indoctrinate more poor souls into the Cult of Teh Internets.

I wonder if I'll be a good teacher or if I'll try to murder my class? ^^;
Old 2009-12-07, 16:45   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The altruistic "win win" to volunteering is that its also something you can put on your resume so you don't have those dreaded "nothing happened" periods when interviewing.
Old 2009-12-07, 17:27   Link #71
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
This talk of volunteering puts a smile on my face.

My highschool recently finished off a clothes drive that I organized with a few friends of mine. All in all, we collected about 1'300 lbs of coats and winter clothes that we donated. My friends and I were hoping that it would make a difference to a few families, especially since it's starting to get colder. Keep on spreading the Yuletide cheer and all.
WordShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 17:31   Link #72
Mattie

Send a message via MSN to Mattie
i must admit, i look forward to the january sales lol games and dvds cheaper :P
Mattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-07, 19:34   Link #73
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I look forward to the aftermath of CES. By that time, if this program I've enrolled in works, life should be normal for me again... and all the new stuff will be bandied about.

New computer get.
Old 2009-12-08, 09:30   Link #74
Solafighter
Hige

Ah yeah, christmas. My birthday is close.
Old 2009-12-08, 14:52   Link #75
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Christmas volunteering is fun. When I was in highschool, my friends and I had some court ordered community service, so we volunteered at the Christmas tree lot. It was lots of fun, we got free coffee and donuts, and went home smelling like Christmas. We also made bow and arrows from twine and tree branches.
Old 2009-12-08, 19:42   Link #76
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
i must admit, i look forward to the january sales lol games and dvds cheaper :P
Yes, items with great discounts are some of the things to look forward to.

Though I need to make a list of priorities to buy, since my budget is limited.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-12-08 at 20:57.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 15:39   Link #77
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

This is what you get when you cross a guitar hero fan with waaaaay to much time (and money) on their hands...

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2009-12-13, 15:57   Link #78
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
went home smelling like Christmas.
How do you smell like Christmas?

I dont really care about Christmas anymore, it was great when I was younger but now it doesnt have that something that made it special. However about Christmas not having anything to do with Jesus, Christmas day doesnt necessarily have to be Jesus' birth it is the sentiment that counts. Which is celebrating the birth of Jesus and finding one day of the year when everyone isnt selfish and is willing to give to others.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-13, 16:12   Link #79
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub-Sama View Post
How do you smell like Christmas?

I dont really care about Christmas anymore, it was great when I was younger but now it doesnt have that something that made it special. However about Christmas not having anything to do with Jesus, Christmas day doesnt necessarily have to be Jesus' birth it is the sentiment that counts. Which is celebrating the birth of Jesus and finding one day of the year when everyone isnt selfish and is willing to give to others.
kids are getting more and more cyncial even younger these days, lol.
14 was still damn well fun, at least where school was concerned too.
(tinsle in our hair, cards about, singing tunes in the classroom, etc)

Make it what you like. You get older, so things aren't done for you per se. People enjoyed christmas as kids cause they just went along with it. As you get older and notice the superficial stuff, its up to you to keep and preserve what aspects you like and then make it your own

Requires a little work, but to hear over and over
'it wasn't as much fun when i was a kid'

well yeah, most people I notice throw away their kid hearts and minds fairly early during their teens *looks at you amused*

As for smelling like christmas, mmmmmm
sage and onion stuffing in a turkey, pig in blanket roasting and potatoes, yum~~~
(things i won't get to eat for 2 years in a row now, but ah well)

Old 2009-12-13, 16:18   Link #80
Cub-Sama
Member of DOLLARS
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
kids are getting more and more cyncial even younger these days, lol.
14 was still damn well fun, at least where school was concerned too.
(tinsle in our hair, cards about, singing tunes in the classroom, etc)

Requires a little work, but to hear over and over
'it wasn't as much fun when i was a kid'

well yeah, most people I notice throw away their kid hearts and minds fairly early during their teens *looks at you amused*
Im not all that cynical I just notice flaws in things and I think you cant trust anybody School is still fun but during christmas there really isnt anything for me to do, I have dinner with my parents, older sister, younger sister and whatever guest there is. I have to get changed into some suit or whatever for a picture and I am forced to clean up and help get dinner ready all of which I do not find fun.

I dont really have anyone fun or my age around to hang out with on Christmas and my parents wont let me go to Christmas parties so maybe you can understand my cynicism with Christmas.

Oh and my parents stopped giving me good gifts a few years ago.

We are DOLLARS, credit for sig goes to CMHerrera-chan
Cub-Sama is offline   Reply With Quote