AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-03-24, 21:03   Link #121
Albel VII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Glorious. Simply glorious. For me, not just anime of last year, or anime of this year, but it could quite possibly be my anime of the decade.
Same here. This show was incredible in almost every department. Directing, characters, themes, execution and pretty much everything was near perfect.

The final episode gave an excellent closure to the series, so I have no real complaints at all, this was a great show.

Also Sukeroku's daughter is just way too cute.
Albel VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-24, 21:43   Link #122
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Oh, I got a little misty-eyed watching that! Especially during the bit with Matsuda at the end. I loved seeing everyone as their older selves and just... how much respect, hope, and love everyone seemed to hold at the end of it all.

And if anything about this episode shocked me... it was the question raised near the beginning by Eisuke. I saw it mentioned in this thread a while back by some people and I don't think I commented on it here, but I had just shrugged it off. I was like, "No way that's a thing. Ridiculous. Why would anyone even think that?" But after seeing it brought up straight to Konatsu's face and hearing her response? I almost don't know what to say. I think ultimately I actually find the whole thing... kind of endearing, in a way.

All in all, I just feel so appreciative of the fact I was able to even experience this series. Haruko Kumota, you have hurt me deeply, wherever you are. I sincerely hope we get more josei out of her in the future.
Old 2017-03-25, 10:56   Link #123
Psyco Diver

I will say it probably my favorite in anime I've seen in almost the 20 years since I first picked up anime. Based on the initial description I never would have thought that I would watch this anime but I took it on because of a whim. I can't recall a single moment where I thought a episode was trash or a scene left me thinking "oh come on thats dumb". I was always entertained with each episode and left wanting more, I was very excited this got a second season because I never thought it would get one.

God knows how many anime I've actually watched, probably over a thousand if not more and I didn't think I would I ever come across a anime that left me so hmmm I guess content or maybe satisfied is a better word. The finale left a smile on my face and a tear in my eye and I'm happy I got to experience it, I consider it one of those 'once in a decade shows easily'
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-25, 13:06   Link #124
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

OH yeah, now I feel better. Episode 12 was a powerful one, and an excellent finale.

Man, when Sensei brought up the thing about Shinnosuke's REAL dad, I almost lost it. I never would've thought of such a hypothesis having some merit. Now that I think about it, what was it that Yakumo and the gang boss was talking about those many episodes ago? And what about that one time Konatsu and the mistress were talking? Could these loose ends explain...

Last edited by blakstealth; 2017-03-25 at 13:23.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-25, 15:03   Link #125
James Rye

Shinnosuke became a siscon, "the cutest" alright. xD

*Shinnosuke is Yakumo's son, meaning Yakumo had sex with Konatsu*
*sits there dumbfounded*
*Eyes wide*
*Jaw on the floor*
....WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?!?!?!

Man, what a great final, it was over 20 minutes long but it felt like 5. Seeing everyone grown up or getting older and what has become of them and Rakugo was great and nostalgic and I gonna miss this storyteller anime so much. It was so charming just sitting there and watching somebody tell a story instead of the usual action/story being acted out by its many performers in the series.
Old 2017-03-25, 16:13   Link #126
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
*sits there dumbfounded*
*Eyes wide*
*Jaw on the floor*
Yeah, I have issues with that little bit of business. I don't think it's fair to throw that kind of insinuation at Yakumo from out of left field when he's no longer around to answer it. Konatsu can and does answer for herself, but there's nobody to explain what would be something completely out of character for Yakumo to do. Plus it's the kind of thing my ex-wife would come up with for one of her fanfics.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-25, 16:54   Link #127
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was a fantastic finale, and like everybody here, I can't see any other anime topping this series this year or even the next few.

I was really shocked by the revelation of Shinnosuke's true father. Yes, Konatsu didn't outright say it, but the way she answered the question pretty much spelled it. And then when you look at adult Shinnosuke, you can't help but see the younger Yakumo in him. I was surprised at how much he acted like him, being unsure of himself and everything.

The other shocker was Matsuda still being alive. He might even outlive Yotaro at this pace! It was great to get his perspective on the present and the past.

I was also a bit disappointed we didn't get to see Konatsu perform, but Yotaro's shinigami made up for that. That was a great way to honor his master, and to show us audience he had finally reached his level. Perfect performance to end the series on.
Old 2017-03-25, 17:34   Link #128
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Shinnosuke became a siscon, "the cutest" alright. xD

*sits there dumbfounded*
*Eyes wide*
*Jaw on the floor*

Man, what a great final, it was over 20 minutes long but it felt like 5. Seeing everyone grown up or getting older and what has become of them and Rakugo was great and nostalgic and I gonna miss this storyteller anime so much. It was so charming just sitting there and watching somebody tell a story instead of the usual action/story being acted out by its many performers in the series.
I called it - was imho kinda obvious they'd go for that the moment he had the same hair color.

Edit:
On a side node: Konatsu seems to be the only one who has aged exceptionally fast compared to the other characters. (Especially Matsuda lol)
Also apparently she and Yotaro have 2 children by now.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2017-03-25 at 17:45.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-25, 18:38   Link #129
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Also apparently she and Yotaro have 2 children by now.
Wait, what? I only saw Shinnosuke and Koyuki, and of the latter we already knew since episode 10 (Konatsu said she was pregnant of Yotaro's child).

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-25, 18:46   Link #130
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Wait, what? I only saw Shinnosuke and Koyuki, and of the latter we already knew since episode 10 (Konatsu said she was pregnant of Yotaro's child).
NVm I just didn't recognize Shinouske without his glasses.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-25, 21:20   Link #131
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

The last 2eps where so well dont its kind of a shame that it has to end

8/10 Going to miss this one
Old 2017-03-26, 16:14   Link #132
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Has anyone thought about the other posibility, namely, that Konatsu had sex with Yakumo? That is not merely semantics, by Konatsu's own admision back then she was full of hormones and confusion about her love/hate feelings, she might had tried to choke Yakumo to death and somewhere in the getting physical thing it could have turn into angry sex. Remember Yakumo was at heart a wimp, so opposing a woman (that could probably beat his ass for real) that was the vivid image of the woman he loved would had been out of character. Now, since Yakumo is so passive he probably had a full load and Konatsu might have become pregnant with that one incident, making Konatsu decide to search for a sexual relationship with the boss (which was well known) to cover the fact and save Yakumo from the scandal.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 16:46   Link #133
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That has to be one of the most preposterous things I've ever seen on this forum - and that's saying something.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 17:50   Link #134
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Has anyone thought about the other posibility, namely, that Konatsu had sex with Yakumo?
Not your specific scenario, but yes. There are ways to make that idea work. They involve rather improbable plot gyrations, but it can be done. Please don't ask me for details, though, because I'd puke in the process.
Old 2017-03-26, 22:00   Link #135
Psyco Diver

I decided to go back and rewatch the final 2 episodes, lots of little things thrown in there, one thing I really appreciated though is in the finale they gave Yotaro a aire of maturity without changing his character, I didn't fully like him because of his brash, loud and obnoxious character traits, I still considered him well written but people like that in fantasy or reality tend to grind my gears. The finale showed that a actual 16 years has passed and he acted like it. Like I said allot of little things between the final 2 episodes really made for a excellent conclusion.
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 22:26   Link #136
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

An interesting take on the suggestion that Yakumo is Shin's father can be found here:

http://www.anime-evo.net/2017/03/26/...u-season-2-12/

Her take is that Yakumo is not Shin's father, and that Konatsu doesn't just say so because she wants to be "in control of her own narrative."

Perhaps that's a bit of rationalization, but I'll take it. That scene almost blew up the entire show for me (I've been referring to it as "Rakugo Shinjuu's Leon Lett Moment" - go here if you don't get the reference). I'm glad someone has thought through an alternative explanation.
Old 2017-03-26, 23:06   Link #137
Eater of All
NOM

I thought it was incredibly cute that Yota put a final spin to Shinigami, saying it was "just a dream". It's a very proper thing to do in-story considering the venue, but beyond that it's a neat contrast to Yakumo's rendition of Shinigami and his wish to die with rakugo. It's like a final, defiant message from Yota saying that, no, rakugo will not die, and I will be the one preserving it.
Old 2017-03-26, 23:57   Link #138
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't know... To me all this rationalization about Yakumo not being the father smacks of wishful thinking to me. I'm not crazy about it either, but I thought the narrative spelled out pretty clearly that's what really happened.
Old 2017-03-27, 00:50   Link #139
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't know... To me all this rationalization about Yakumo not being the father smacks of wishful thinking to me. I'm not crazy about it either, but I thought the narrative spelled out pretty clearly that's what really happened.
Well, that's the thing... it's the narrative of that five-minute scene vs. the narrative of the entire rest of the series. If Higuchi's claim is true, it means I've been wrong about Yakumo's character all this time, and the whole story collapses for me. With that much at stake, I'll settle for a bit of rationalizing. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Old 2017-03-27, 01:07   Link #140
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I actually think Yakumo being the father fits better with the narrative of the series, even if it casts him in a poorer light as a person. And it was hinted at strongly enough that it was a widely traveled fan theory until the misdirection about the mob boss.

Tags
drama, japanese culture, studio deen