AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-09-19, 12:24   Link #221
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I hope for one more season. Just to see main heroines graduate. It would be a perfect final for Tamayura. Or a movie maybe.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 16:24   Link #222
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I thought last week's episode was more emotional but this was one was still incredibly heartwarming nonetheless. It's painful to part with Potte and friends once again... hopefully they will be back for a third season. This episode didn't feel like a series final at all. It would make more sense to end the series with Potte's graduation.
Old 2013-09-19, 18:30   Link #223
Dop
Mmmm....

Disaster strikes the photography club!
The shutter jams on Potte's Rollei, and so she's without a camera through most of the show.
That did give the show a change of pace, and led to some lovely Mother-Daughter bonding.

I was actually glad this episode was a bit more laid back and resisted the urge to be (with Kanae's gradation in particular) a total weep-fest.

I felt it was kind of fitting that I'd made myself a big mug of cocoa before sitting down to watch this episode, as it's very much that kind of warming, comforting, winding down and relaxing type of show, a lovely change of pace.

I would love there to be a third series, to take Potte and her friends up to graduation and out into the world. That would be just wonderful.

But where do you go after 'More Aggressive'? Maybe in the third series Potte will attempt to emulate the style of photographer Bruce Gilden in "Tamayura - IN YOUR FACE" - or maybe not.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 18:38   Link #224
sikvod00

While I still enjoy this show, it would be impossible for me to marathon it. I'd fall asleep or lose focus after the third feel-good episode. That's one of the weaknesses with some healing, slice-of-life animes for me; things tend to blend together.

Last edited by sikvod00; 2013-09-19 at 19:37.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 19:47   Link #225
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I was actually glad this episode was a bit more laid back and resisted the urge to be (with Kanae's gradation in particular) a total weep-fest.
Aye, I think the episode felt more realistic for that reason. The closing bits of episode 11 were in a much more intimate setting (nighttime and early morning amongst a small crowd of your closest friends, vs. broad daylight surrounded by huge crowds of people), so it makes sense that the emotions would come out more freely during the previous episode.

I'll be optimistic and believe that this is far from a final farewell. Graduation might've been more 'final' for the class of 1982, or 1992, or perhaps 2002, but high school graduates of 2012 are part of a world where Skype video chats almost equal phone calls in number. Potte, Kanae, Norie, Maon, and Kaoru can all have group video chats every few weeks or so even after high school's over. (Not exactly the same as hanging out in-person, but it's a lot better than nothing.)

I hope Tamayura gets a third season. This series always does a great job of untangling the knots in my stomach that stressful days cause. The personal highlight of the series for me was probably the last few minutes of episode 11; beautiful song, great scene all-around.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-19, 22:09   Link #226
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Just so nice of an ending and just so many tear threw this series an Kanae just fit in with the group so well

10/10 need anther season and some one to get it was well
Old 2013-09-19, 22:15   Link #227
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Who the hell's chopping so many onions in here. Damn you, family bonding.
Old 2013-09-20, 05:28   Link #228
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
But where do you go after 'More Aggressive'? Maybe in the third series Potte will attempt to emulate the style of photographer Bruce Gilden in "Tamayura - IN YOUR FACE" - or maybe not.
Obviously the next season will have Potte learning bike riding from her mother, becoming TAMAYURA ~HYPER AGGRESSIVE, which'll make even the most testosterone laden action heroes cower in fear.

Though yeah, this episode didn't really feel like a final episode to me, for a moment made me wondering "what's the next episode will be"... before realizing there's no more

Well, no more for now anyway. Hoping for a third season to ease that pain

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-20, 21:09   Link #229
Dextro
He Without a Title

I don't see how some folks here can say that the episode wasn't emotional. For some odd reason something got stuck in my eyes during the second half of the finale and there's now something moist on my face

That was a lovely ending to a season that greatly improved the plot even if it seemed to, sadly, be running out of time and/or money for the animation this last few episodes. I'll miss these girls once again now until the hopeful next season. Tamayura is slowly but surely rising to the level of Aria in my book. That vocal track at the end is so like the best scenes of its predecessor, great showing once again by Satou-sensei.
Old 2013-09-21, 13:36   Link #230
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
While I do love Tamayura, I find it's a show that I have to be in the right mood to watch. For that reason, I had it stalled for a bit, and I watched the final few episodes over the last few days.

~More Aggressive~ was no less emotional, and emotionally satisfying, than ~Hitotose~. This show has always been cozy, inviting, heartwarming, sentimental, and touching. And I'm glad that ~More Aggressive~ managed to maintain that even while significantly enlarging the cast.

But what I found most impressive about ~More Aggressive~ is how, contrary to all the jokes we made before it started airing, it really did live up to its name.

As great as ~Hitotose~ was, and as glad as I am that it chose to be that way, I'm also glad that ~More Aggressive~ allowed its world and its characters to face just a little bit of stern reality.

The dialogue could occasionally have a bit of bite to it. While the characters were still endearingly nice, friendly, and warm, they also were more open and frank. And I must say that I never imagined that a character like Natsume would show up in Tamayura. But that's what's so wonderful about ~More Aggressive~, really. It's easy to be happy and nice when things are going swell and everybody around you is happy and nice and friendly. The real challenge comes from adversity and facing the stern Natsumes in life. Now, Natsume isn't a bad guy at heart, but Potte and friends still needed to reach beyond the stern exterior to get at the much warmer heart beneath. And there's a sweet victory in watching that happen. Idealism is always at its best when it soundly defeats cynicism, and love is always at its best when it touches a numbed heart that needs to be restored.

By letting the main cast be challenged just a little bit with the harsher realities of life, we see the true value and strength of their life-affirming lifestyle and viewpoints, revealed. It makes them that much more compelling because they not only shine brightly in the sun, but they also glow in the dark of dear friends moving on to new chapters in their life.

And with that strength comes the disappearance of debilitating shyness. Back in ~Hitotose~ these characters were no less endearing, but some of them were terribly shy, to a degree that really would disadvantage them if they didn't overcome it to some degree. But in time, each and every Tamayura character did overcome it.

And here is where I have special praise for the final episode. The one exception to this was Kanae, who truly struggled to get over her shyness throughout almost the entire season (though I do suspect that her standing up to the seemingly stern Natsume was a real watershed moment for Kanae). In this final episode, we see a Kanae who eagerly and clearly shouts out to her friend, who engages others without excessive caution or reservation, who is able to give eloquent voice to her deepest feelings.

"You'll always be President to me." - Kanae, to Potte.

Beautiful show. Beautiful ending, that so wondrously tied up all of its major plots and character arcs into a fitting conclusion.

While I would gladly watch another Tamayura, I would also be completely content with this being the series finale. Personally, I think it ended off great. Hope and strength for tomorrow, just enough left open to arouse the viewer's imagination, but with so much already firmly accomplished and some memorable chapters closed, to be looked back on in photos that will warm the heart for a lifetime...
Old 2013-09-21, 15:32   Link #231
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-22, 13:59   Link #232
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I loved ~Hitotose~, but ~More Aggressive~ was simply much better. It had scenes that truly made me feel emotional and any show that can do that is special to me.

I liked how the episode revolved around Potte without her camera for once. I agree with her mother, some things can't be captured on film as well as in your own memory and the moment of bonding they shared was heartwarming.

Kanae was a sweet girl through and through, and I hope she and the rest will keep in touch. Same goes for the day when Potte and her friends eventually go their own ways.

I'm not sure if there's anything left for a third season, but I'm definitely in for more.

9/10
Old 2013-09-22, 14:02   Link #233
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I'm not sure if there's anything left for a third season, but I'm definitely in for more.
The only thing left is Potte and friends final year and graduation I reckon. Wouldn't mind watching that even if I'm not sure my heart could take it.
Old 2013-10-14, 21:52   Link #234
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well, watched the whole season in a row, and simply loved it. Hafta agree - Kanae brings out the human in Potte in a way the latter's close friends do not, she makes Potte get into the habit of emerging from her introspection of revolving around her grief in an effort to make sense of it. In some ways it does the same thing but is through a more effective means (in this case, at least).

That being said, I love Tamayura and look forward to S3, where the main charas will graduate....

And yes, I'll prolly bawl my eyes out that season too. -_-
Old 2013-12-23, 13:45   Link #235
Dop
Mmmm....

ANN: Amazon Japan is listing that the Tamayura - More Aggressive television anime series will get a new OVA next year. The 30-minute anime is slated to ship on June 7 on DVD and Blu-ray Disc. The anime will feature the unaired episode 8.5.
Old 2013-12-23, 14:46   Link #236
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
ANN: Amazon Japan is listing that the Tamayura - More Aggressive television anime series will get a new OVA next year. The 30-minute anime is slated to ship on June 7 on DVD and Blu-ray Disc. The anime will feature the unaired episode 8.5.
Woot! Excellent news!

I wonder what they will focus on?
Old 2014-03-26, 21:32   Link #237
gdpetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
The series is less "sappy" if you've lost a parent as a child. At least this season.[...]
Agree, though I think it isn't just a parent or child, but any 'loss' that is emotional enough to make a mark emotionally, which is the basis of any 'real' experience. The only ones that still sting are those that carry emotional baggage, which doesn't have to be negative, though such loses do seem that way until the issue is resolved and the open wound healed to form a scar, and slowly the scar and its emotions fade as 'time heals all wounds'.

I really like the main plot of Fuu dealing with her loss, her father and reconnecting with him through their shared love of taking photos. If anything, IMO, too much diversion to other characters takes away from this main plot, but given the medium, the story tellers have to placate enough of an audience to be allowed to keep telling their story. I really liked how the photos were used in this anime, as someone else pointed out, perhaps similar to the sketchs from a previous work of the authors. Well used, and i really like that ED, again with the photos as representatives of those emotional moments we remember like photos.

As an original to anime work, this could continue indefinitely as long as a script can be created and funding secured. They could not only graduate, but go to college or get jobs in the future, something rarely seen in anime, perhaps Clannad Afterstory that I can think of. This story is focused and directed in a sense Haruhi Suzumiya never was, as that author didn't seem to realize nor expect his initial LN success and seems not to have planned a future. but it seems the creators of this story have, and makes me think of checking out Aria again after giving up after that first episode... flat I found compared to this, though this is based in reality, not fantasy as in Aria, and the look seemed to come from a different generation, nostalgic again like faded photographs/drawings.

Nostalgic intimacy is how I usually think of this type of story telling, and outside of the usual tropes of the 4 girlfriends, short and cute people, there was a lot of meat on the bones of this story. Would like to see the story continue. All the side characters give it depth, but IMO the focus needs to stay on Fuu to keep the plot or story telling cohesive and not stray off and lose its way.

Last edited by gdpetti; 2014-03-26 at 21:49.
gdpetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-15, 01:35   Link #238
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Special thanks to l.kostas for bringing this to my attention:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ncement/.75572

"The official website for the Tamayura anime franchise reported that the "Tamayura Matsuri 2014" event will have an "important" announcement. The event will be held in Tokyo's Hibiya Kőkaidő hall on August 3, and six of the anime's main cast members will attend."

Another season of Tamayura covering Fuu's final year in high school would be great, but... well, we will see!
Old 2014-06-15, 03:19   Link #239
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

I welcome more Tamayura, even if there isn't much left to cover.
Old 2014-06-15, 04:59   Link #240
Dop
Mmmm....

More Tamayura would be a wonderful thing, to round off the story nicely.
Fingers crossed!

Tags
iyashikei, slice of life