AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-05-05, 21:35   Link #841
Archon_Wing
Plotting....
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Evangelion 3.0: Cool (Story) Bro

The first half of the movie was just really, really boring. I mean sure Asuka's flying around with what's her face, though she does little more than utter Baka Shinji. I really like how they undid virtually all the development 2.0 did. So Shinji being assertive wouldn't help matters, and things would get worse. It's a good way of breaking him, but the thing here is that we just abruptly skip so much time so we don't really have the gradual descent into depression that makes it convincing. It's just like "let's force him to be miserable even though everyone would have been fucked if he did shit".

The transitions in the movie were absurd. Especially with the "Rei's gone. I can hear Rei. Rei is that" in the span of 2 minutes. Wow, talk about abandoning any attempt of a narrative. To make matters worse, Misato is just annoying, being a Gendo wannabe flying around that silly airship. I also liked how Gendo appeared for like a minute just to make Shinji feel worse. And everyone looks awful. Sure I know it's the end of world, but come on man. And hey, Rei's back in the Super Flying Sex Doll multi pack. Oh.

Anyhow, I think the main problem in this film is that I really don't give a fuck about the characters. This isn't just about the cast I knew and cared about, this is just about a cast that kinda just does shit. And sure, the movie does create a sense of confusion. But then again we're following Shinji around, and he doesn't really have any thoughts beyond "oh shit sucks". Meanwhile, we waste time on side characters, in case the movie hasn't told you it has made any attempt of building a world. No, no, Mari's boobs have to bounce. That's where the good stuff is.

Kawrou's arrival makes the movie better. He's always been the in your face type that is free of all the angst everyone else feels. However, in Rebuild he's simply just less valuable since the series hasn't built everyone to be a nutjob. Still, he's effective as the only soul that Shinji could possibly communicate with. But of course, given the amount that Shinji trusts him, you'd think he'd listen to him to not start fourth impact. "Oh, but plot..."

In the end this feels like an episode of some unknown Eva tv series. Sure, I understand that they don't want to show their hand at the moment, but on the other hand, I've pretty much lost any desire to see it anyways. Feel free to enlighten me when 4.0 shows what a genius work this is, but until then, I'm just going to say that this movie was awful simply because a lot of it was just boring. Still, there's some nice cinematography like those crushed skulls and that very nice scene at the end could make me say there was something good. Then again, it's like arriving to a conclusion without any foundation. Who cares really? I could give it a 5/10, but nah... 4/10 it is.
That which you do not know, you invent.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 21:45   Link #842
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

@Archon_Wing: I don't really get it, you found the condensed version of Shinji's breakdown boring, but you also preferred a slower version of it
Old 2013-05-05, 22:07   Link #843
solomon

I think Archon misses BASIC NARRATIVE LOGIC which the movie you kinda admit does lack just randomly taking a 14 year time skip when there is likely a WHOLE MOVIE AND A HALFS WORTH of material they could make just recounting exactly what happened during those 14 years so you know, we can try understand where the cast (Misato and WILLE) is coming from.

Shinji's decent seems more gradual and detailed therefore more understandable in the TV show, here it feels like the staff was like............um yea, lets forget all the other plot developments and fuck with Shinji.

I thought the movie was HARDLY boring though, it was a ton of fun and im probably gonna watch it again soon but giving a few days to let my brain process it leaves it with a LOT of plot holes that you can't write off by saying "It's EVA it's SUPPOSED to be confusing".

Anyways, nay sayers should stay optimistic for the last movie. Maybe they'll pull a Gurren Lagann and explain all the shit from the past that matters while building to a satisfying climax.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 22:16   Link #844
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

This movie reminded me a bit to what Square did with Final Fantasy 13-2. All the improvements the story had were thrown to the toilet at the last minute. Wonder what are they going to do in 4.0. I just hope depressed Shinji will appear for just few minutes in order to avoid another End of Evangelion.

Evangelion 4.0: I can (not) understand
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 22:21   Link #845
Archon_Wing
Plotting....
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
I think Archon misses BASIC NARRATIVE LOGIC which the movie you kinda admit does lack just randomly taking a 14 year time skip when there is likely a WHOLE MOVIE AND A HALFS WORTH of material they could make just recounting exactly what happened during those 14 years so you know, we can try understand where the cast (Misato and WILLE) is coming from.

Edit: Did I read this wrong? Whoops. /delete rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
@Archon_Wing: I don't really get it, you found the condensed version of Shinji's breakdown boring, but you also preferred a slower version of it
I didn't find Shinji in particular boring; that's more about the whole movie. But regardless, I feel that it feels forced because the movie doesn't have that advantage.
That which you do not know, you invent.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-05-05 at 22:35.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 22:22   Link #846
AmeNoJaku

As solomon said, I also enjoyed the movie, despite finding all other eva anime better... it's just that some people try really hard to find something original and negative to say about it
Old 2013-05-05, 22:34   Link #847
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
As solomon said, I also enjoyed the movie, despite finding all other eva anime better... it's just that some people try really hard to find something original and negative to say about it
Look even if I liked the direction of 2.0 in general, I think 3.0 spat in the face pf fans of 2.0 as well. This isn't even just me being critical of Rebuild in general. It was bad.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 23:59   Link #848
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Look even if I liked the direction of 2.0 in general, I think 3.0 spat in the face pf fans of 2.0 as well. This isn't even just me being critical of Rebuild in general. It was bad.
It could have been better, but that doesn't justify you and several others watching it in order to go into a reminiscence self-indulging trip about how everything was better in times long gone... Just appreciate what we have or that you get the chance to get a new perspective into a story you probably liked as a teen or less; and that a 2-decade old franchise was so awesome then, that it can still captivate new audiences when it gets a little refurbished, judging from the age of the audience that watched it here with me in Tokyo

As I wrote here too... the original TV didn't need any movies to explain or extend the plot and its characters, it was very clear what happened in 25 and 26... but since there is a demand it is inevitable to keep the product alive and try to make it more approachable without betraying (or at least trying to) the original atmosphere. After all, you all love here and domestically overcommercialized products, right
Old 2013-05-06, 00:04   Link #849
hawkeyesvn
The old ace of Arlington

Watched 3.0...Feel really bad because it made 2.0 seems like a wasted effort in rebuilding the show with a happier ending. Somehow I think this is just an alternate Universe created by Shinji ( Like what he did in the Re - Take doujin series ). Since the first time I watched NGE ( 12 years ago ), I always wanted Shinji to find some happiness ( Being abandoned by father probably made me sympathy with him easier ).
Old 2013-05-06, 01:44   Link #850
solomon

Quote:
Now Now, you can't be mad just cause other people dislike it ya know. While it is fun, it has flaws that are kinda hard to write off considering how well we started out here.

Frankly I sum it up as this, good original movie, BAD link in the larger saga BUUUTTTT they still have another movie so who knows, maybe they'll get it right in the end.
Old 2013-05-06, 05:19   Link #851
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Now Now, you can't be mad just cause other people dislike it ya know. While it is fun, it has flaws that are kinda hard to write off considering how well we started out here.

Frankly I sum it up as this, good original movie, BAD link in the larger saga BUUUTTTT they still have another movie so who knows, maybe they'll get it right in the end.
Well, as I already wrote, the movie is not as good as it could have been, and definitely unnecessary, as the End of Evangelion was, or most of the movies based on successful TV anime. Criticizing them is one thing, but writing self-contradicting hate posts for the sake of hating the film, or writing more posts about how much it will suck before watching it, and after doing so (for what reason, still puzzle me) writing more about how much it didn't suck as expected, but still sucked for new reasons one came up with... because he was so determined to hate the film.
Old 2013-05-06, 09:59   Link #852
solomon

Hmmmmm, while my already eva fan self ALREADY thinks the film is unecessary, I think it's too early to objectively say that about the 4 film saga. It IS a remake after all, not a sequel (admitting that raises FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR too many questions MORE than some already have).

Oh EVA making fans rage like it's 1999 ALL OVER AGAIN (Listens to Prince).
Old 2013-05-06, 11:15   Link #853
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Lol at this
Old 2013-05-06, 13:47   Link #854
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
It could have been better, but that doesn't justify you and several others watching it in order to go into a reminiscence self-indulging trip about how everything was better in times long gone... Just appreciate what we have or that you get the chance to get a new perspective into a story you probably liked as a teen or less; and that a 2-decade old franchise was so awesome then, that it can still captivate new audiences when it gets a little refurbished, judging from the age of the audience that watched it here with me in Tokyo
Justify? Do I need justification to watch this? Nope. I don't have to appreciate what I am getting here. Especially if this refaces the franchise in a very negative light. Then I have a reason to be pissed.

Quote:
As I wrote here too... the original TV didn't need any movies to explain or extend the plot and its characters, it was very clear what happened in 25 and 26... but since there is a demand it is inevitable to keep the product alive and try to make it more approachable without betraying (or at least trying to) the original atmosphere. After all, you all love here and domestically overcommercialized products, right
The hell you even going on about? There is not a single coherent sentence written here.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 14:10   Link #855
Bri

Quote:
Oh EVA making fans rage like it's 1999 ALL OVER AGAIN (Listens to Prince).
Nah, it won't be the same without 28k dial up, usenet and the utter confusion caused by the Manga Entertainment release to fuel the rage.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 14:11   Link #856
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Nah, it won't be the same without 28k dial up, usenet and the utter confusion caused by the Manga Entertainment release to fuel the rage.
I heard that in 90s the rage caused by the finale resulted even in death threats to Anno and End of Eva was created as a result. The movie still mindraped me though.
Old 2013-05-06, 15:20   Link #857
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I just hope there won't be any time travel in the next one
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 15:38   Link #858
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
I just hope there won't be any time travel in the next one
Another 14 year time skip could only make things more awesome.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 18:18   Link #859
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Another 14 year time skip could only make things more awesome.
Oh then I'll suppose that Misato will get a "wunder-curse" so that she won't look like a middle aged woman.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-06, 18:28   Link #860
AmeNoJaku

Quote:
Justify? Do I need justification to watch this? Nope. I don't have to appreciate what I am getting here. Especially if this refaces the franchise in a very negative light. Then I have a reason to be pissed.
Getting pissed off with a film because it didn't live up to your personal expectation is weird... at least in the way you put it. If I remember correctly you are one the those who were writing about how bad it will be before watching it, and then continued about how bad it was after watching it only for completely different reasons. You realize that to an outside observer, this looks like that you only watched the film in order to give you a basis for bashing it, instead of watching something that you could enjoy... which is fine from time to time, everyone needs to let out some negativity where it doesn't matter.

Quote:
The hell you even going on about? There is not a single coherent sentence written here.
Dunno, made sense to others... but let me rephrase it for you:
  1. TV Eva never needed movies to explain or extend its plot and characters
  2. Nevertheless, fans wanted more Eva
  3. Producers offered new Eva, but tried to maintain the original concept
  4. Which confused even more fans, who keep asking more questions, while buying (or in case of pirated version, promote) more products...

... there is even a group of fans that keep watching even though they hate it passionately, right?

Tags
evangelion, remake