AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-06-09, 07:08   Link #1041
cf18
Mecha Pilot

LOL I know it when the earliest news say it will be involved with a kid manga magazine, and as we see from Gunpla Builder, Bandai want to draw the younger video game generation back to gunpla.
cf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 07:18   Link #1042
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
how did you guys know that AGE is aimed at younger audiences?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 07:19   Link #1043
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

This is not what I've expected at all. I've always wanted a Batman vs alien series, but I'm not so sure with this news. It could be nice, the premise and everything sounds good, but I'm worried about the character designs. Too kiddy. I hope the story is not that way though, I will remain optimist.

The Gundam design looks good though, a good twist on the parts changing. In case of simple attaching backpacks, it has armor and parts swapping, which I think the first time we see in an animated Gundam series?

Anyway, looking forward to more news
Old 2011-06-09, 07:22   Link #1044
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Okay, before I say anything, I need to make it clear that I personally love watching kids shows. I honestly think that here are shows aimed towards younger audience that can be as compelling and intelligent as adult oriented ones, with even more impressive moments that rival the ones from the more ''mature'' ones.

That said, my first reaction to this was going to get the liquor bottle. I love kids shows, but this went far beyond my expectations, and I had a negative reaction at first, I won't lie. It wasn't till I remembered how stuopidget might have felt that I realized that this isn't as bad as it first appeared, and might in fact be an interesting thing.

So I sat down again and as I read on, and I think that there is the potential for something good here. The multi generation idea is interesting, the actual designs of the Gundams are okay. After a good while of deluding trickingfooling convincing (yeah thats the word) myself that it's going to be better than what I had initially had in mind so that it wouldn't break apart

And you know, if it blows completely, at least there's Unicorn for those cold nights where I want to drown my sorrow with beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
...why does it look like Digimon? Knew it was too good to be true.
[nostalgia]What!? Digimon is (mostly) awesome, I'll be happy if this ends up being similar[/nostalgia]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Card games on Gundams?!
Why not? I mean the card games on motor cycles thing was actually sorta decent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
From what I'm gathering this is actually coming mostly from Level 5's ideas rather than Sunrise's so I can't say I'm really expecting anything I've ever seen from animated Gundam before. Dragon Quest and Gundam, together at last......
A forbidden match, finally together.

I have to say, this is a peculiar move nonetheless. Usually the Gundam franchise attempts to target both old fans and new ones alike whenever they launch a new title (unless you are named Yasuhiro Imagawa, then you can do whatever you want and nobody will say a word) and since this will be the flagship title for the next few(?) years, essentially the face of the whole franchise, it makes me wonder if it is wise to apparently abandon the longtime and recent fans from the SeeD/00 era for a new younger generation

[craziness]Then again this might be an attempt to boost the birth rates. Encourage people to have more children in order to share their past memories of growing up with Gundam with their kids, and help implement new consumers with the desire to buy more models and toys.[/craziness]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Watch this turn out to be the next Gaogaigar or something where a previously kiddy looking series turns into a cult favourite of awesomeness. I'd settle for that if it happened.
I would honestly hope this is the case, and if the show does turn out to be good I expect for you to be right and this to be more fondly looked on. I mean I'm sure there might've been such reaction at G Gundam back in the day and now look at how many people love that show (for good reason)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Unfortunately Level 5's stories tend to do that, so I look on apprehensively...
The main concern is how ambitious the story is. Level 5 stories, IMO, usually tend to be fairly simplistic and not all that interesting (from what I've seen) but I honestly hope they try and be more ambitious here in the story department.
Old 2011-06-09, 07:26   Link #1045
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

I'm not familiar with this Level 5, but seems everyone here is skeptical of them? Any works they have done?
Old 2011-06-09, 07:38   Link #1046
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

They are famous for the Professor Layton and Inazuma Eleven game series, and had worked on a Dragon Quest game as well.

Now they can make some pretty fun games IMO, but I honestly think the stories are quite weak, which is why we are worried about the quality of the story, since thats one area that they are certain to affect the most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
how did you guys know that AGE is aimed at younger audiences?
I do believe that the designs are a giveaway, but this line in particular
Quote:
Tied into the anime will be "four ultimate projects" in the works: manga, hobby (model kits and figures), games, and cards.
makes it more than likely.
Old 2011-06-09, 08:21   Link #1047
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
but this line in particular
makes it more than likely.
Hasn't that been their Sunrise/Bandai's modus operandi with nearly every Gundam for nearly 3 decades now? It's not like Bandai pushing merchandise along with every Gundam is a new thing, and the "four ultimate projects" is a fancy marketing term for them continuing to do so for AGE.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 08:31   Link #1048
Araxiel

It's pretty much a given that a full series will have manga sidestories and gunpla kits, and likely that it'll get a look-in in the games too.
The cards are a new one on me, though. Has that been done much before?
Old 2011-06-09, 08:47   Link #1049
PzIVf3

Sunrise sees children as best seller of merchandise than the adults. Just look at Suit Precure series, there merchandise sells rating is higher than the t.v. rating show. I don't know if this strategy marketing will make a breakthrough on this sci-fi series.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 08:55   Link #1050
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I do believe that there a Gundam War CCG, but its an already established card game that I thought that is not simultaneous with the announcement of a new TV show. (the newer shows get cards a while after the show had aired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Hasn't that been their Sunrise/Bandai's modus operandi with nearly every Gundam for nearly 3 decades now? It's not like Bandai pushing merchandise along with every Gundam is a new thing, and the "four ultimate projects" is a fancy marketing term for them continuing to do so for AGE.
It's the ''four ultimate'' that caught my attention. It's a branding term that you'd usually find with kids shows about how this shows has other ''ultimate'' spin-offs and stuff. Granted this is the same marketing strategy, but they had repackaged it to appear more kid friendly. Furthermore, why would they make it a point that there is going to be other merchandise so early on?

Just for the record though, I don't mind any of this. I'm more concerned for the story at this point than anything else.
Old 2011-06-09, 09:21   Link #1051
bio9205
Reborn

Oh, good Lord...

I'm not going to make any concrete comments yet since we've seen very little of the series, but all I have to say is this is very... Disappointing. I'm going to give it a chance though. But still... Seriously, Sunrise? I was a little worried about Gunpla Builders being a bit too child-oriented, but this looks too kiddy for me.

At least we still have Unicorn to look forward to.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 09:25   Link #1052
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Well, some kiddy looking shows end up being some of the best, so you never know if it actually too kiddy or not yet.

Who knows, this might even be better than Unicorn!
Old 2011-06-09, 09:29   Link #1053
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

A generational story that spans three generations in what approximately covers 100 years of war?

Of course, the initial summary is worrisome that this may be leaning too much into appealing to the younger audiences, but it can easily go the other end.

Imagine if past the first 10 episodes, the story suddenly shifts into Grandpa or Father going into their 20s/30s/40s and dealing with mid-life crisis like marriage, fatherhood and succession issues.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-09, 09:30   Link #1054
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
Quote:
Well, some kiddy looking shows end up being some of the best, so you never know if it actually too kiddy or not yet.

Who knows, this might even be better than Unicorn!
The possible younger approach is pushing me off a bit, but I'm still looking forward to it. I'm still overjoyed its not SD though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
A generational story that spans three generations in what approximately covers 100 years of war?

Of course, the initial summary is worrisome that this may be leaning too much into appealing to the younger audiences, but it can easily go the other end.

Imagine if past the first 10 episodes, the story suddenly shifts into Grandpa or Father going into their 20s/30s/40s and dealing with mid-life crisis like marriage, fatherhood and succession issues.
I'm certainly hoping its not as younger-audience oriented as the characters looks at the moment. Although I take solace from the fact that the summary sounds nothing like it at the moment. I like the background information so far, with stuff like the the Unknown Enemy and a "100 Hundred Year War". This all sounds like serious stuff.

I guess we'll get to make up our minds once we actually see the series, that's the only real way to know whether its to each of our likings. Gundam fans can have very diverse tastes and all, I'm just looking forward to a new AU.
Old 2011-06-09, 09:38   Link #1055
tetsuo69

ah fuck ....... looks like digimon ....
Old 2011-06-09, 09:42   Link #1056
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxiel View Post
It's pretty much a given that a full series will have manga sidestories and gunpla kits, and likely that it'll get a look-in in the games too.
The cards are a new one on me, though. Has that been done much before?
I know there have been card games for Gundam before in the form of the Gundam War TCG series, but cards for a specific series I don't think has been done before.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2011-06-09, 09:44   Link #1057
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Furthermore, why would they make it a point that there is going to be other merchandise so early on?
The same thing happened with Gundam SEED Destiny's announcement in 2004 and with Gundam 00's announcement in 2007 you know. Hell, 00 let loose the fact that it's going to have 3 manga spin-off's early, along with the HG kits

Old 2011-06-09, 09:46   Link #1058
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
This brings up another thing. The length of the show. If we presume this is a year long show (50~52 episodes) then that would give each protagonist about 16~17 episodes right?

It would be interesting to see how they transition form one generation to the next, or how much focus they are given each. It might even produce some rather tight stories with an overreaching plot

I'm warming up to the idea already!
Quote:
Cold. very cold.

Um, I don't know, that would depend entirely on how much they play with that angle I suppose. I would like to see how each generation interacts with each other, but seeing marriage issues and the like ...

I'm not sure how I feel about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSP View Post
The possible younger approach is pushing me off a bit, but I'm still looking forward to it. I'm still overjoyed its not SD though.
No one likes SD

SD will most likely never be the main flag for the televised franchise, since it always does poorly on TV. I wish it would get more love but alas.

Anyway, even if the story is nothing to write home about, this is still something new to experience. Beside having a new Gundam show and watching it week by week is IMO positive things.

eta
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo69 View Post
Ah fuck yeah! looks like just as good as Digimon
Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
The same thing happened with Gundam SEED Destiny's announcement in 2004 and with Gundam 00's announcement in 2007 you know. Hell, 00 let loose the fact that it's going to have 3 manga spin-off's early, along with the HG kits
Fair enough. I agree that Gundam has always had these sort of announcements.

Still, it was announced in Corocoro, a kids magazine, so thats still something.
Old 2011-06-09, 10:01   Link #1059
Araxiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo69 View Post
ah fuck ....... looks like digimon ....
but Digimon was awesome
Old 2011-06-09, 10:13   Link #1060
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Cold. very cold.

Um, I don't know, that would depend entirely on how much they play with that angle I suppose. I would like to see how each generation interacts with each other, but seeing marriage issues and the like ...

I'm not sure how I feel about it.
I was citing one example, it doesn't necessarily have to try to work in 'realistic' issues. In fact, I'd say kids and even teens would probably be turned off by those.

Speaking idealistically, I would very much love to see a pseudo-Assassin's Creed style of generational storytelling ( minus the Animus, thank you very much ), where we get to see at least one of the 3 main character's growth into adulthood just as AC2's side of the series spanned the 20+ years growth of Ezio into a full-fledged 50 years old master assassin.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote