Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-04-13, 23:43   Link #1441
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Not really. I know gmail doesn't allow HTML, so that's out. If you attach your pictures, then Hotmail shows them directly on the page without having you downloading them, but I'm not sure about other clients. The best way, I say, is to attach it.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 00:29   Link #1442
LR2

It seems that some manga sites use the same "online manga viewer" as if they are all getting theirs' from the same place. Where can I find a script that would allow me to have my own online manga viewer?

Edit: New question since my old one isn't getting answered.

Why hasn't the United States switched to the metric system?

Last edited by LR2; 2008-04-16 at 19:30.
LR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 10:29   Link #1443
Rurik
Golden

I doubt there is anything official about it, but you can take a wild guess about it, why go to the trouble of changing their current measurement system, when this one doesn’t seems to bother them, and every person in this country is used to it? it would be more troublesome to change to a new system, to just stick to one that is working just fine.
Old 2008-04-17, 11:08   Link #1444
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LR2 View Post
Why should they? Standards come and go. Nobody adopts standards at a community level, people use them and whenever an old one becomes unpopular it is de-crowned as "THE standard" and replaced by the new one, to avoid confusion and deprecation consequences.

Simply put, if a standard doesn't prove superior on it's own, they stand to gain nothing by forcing change. The needs of outsiders is irrelevant.
Old 2008-04-17, 12:10   Link #1445
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Well, we don't want to. However, that doesn't mean that we don't use it. Our system may be the primary method of measurement in stores and highways, but for people who pursue careers that involves chemistry and physics, I daresay that the metric system is second nature to them. It is to me.
Old 2008-04-17, 12:41   Link #1446
Rembr

Plus, switching now would be an enormous task to implement. And frankly there's a lot more important things on the plate to take care of. I don't think it'll get done anytime soon, or ever.
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 12:47   Link #1447
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

What does the US have to gain for it's efforts of switching over? The people who really need to use metric to be compatible with coworkers from overseas (ie. scientists) already use metric for their jobs anyway.

The "American" systems of measurement are touted as more "intuitive". As someone who grew up learning metric, I don't really know, but that's what they say.
Old 2008-04-17, 14:36   Link #1448
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
The "American" systems of measurement are touted as more "intuitive". As someone who grew up learning metric, I don't really know, but that's what they say.
Nah, that's just silly. Whichever system you grow up with is more intuitive.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 14:42   Link #1449
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

From a selfish point of view, the whole point of switching to the metric system is the metric system is more convenient, but if the current system is already intuitive, then wouldn't it be inconvenient to switch? If so, then switching to the metric system would only benefit people outside of the U.S., since as I already stated above, the metric system is already used extensively in chemistry and physics, where it matters. And since we don't care about others, plus switching to the metric system would be inconvenient to us, it would be illogical to do so.
Old 2008-04-17, 16:02   Link #1450
genryou
The ______ maker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to genryou
how did Animesuki prevent spambot from getting past the registering page?

one of the local forum that i attend to always being attack by spambot, although not much but it still disturbing...

and to make it worse, the mod dont even now how to counter measure the situation....
genryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 16:31   Link #1451
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by genryou View Post
how did Animesuki prevent spambot from getting past the registering page?

one of the local forum that i attend to always being attack by spambot, although not much but it still disturbing...

and to make it worse, the mod dont even now how to counter measure the situation....
The problem here is that potentially any reply we make on this can only help the spammers. Any explanation only helps spammers find a way to get round the blocks. Maybe an answer I can give is that we work hard at purging any spam we see.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 16:48   Link #1452
genryou
The ______ maker
*Graphic Designer

lol, thats too bad...

nvm then....
Old 2008-04-17, 17:07   Link #1453
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The forum uses the NoSpam! VBulletin PlugIn. Any VBulletin license owner can download it and replace the default standard CAPTCHA with it. Presuming your friends have VBulletin they can try it. Otherwise it's easily coded/cloned.

I suspect a few more things are being used, but there's not much good in mentioning them.
Old 2008-04-17, 17:26   Link #1454
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
I suspect a few more things are being used, but there's not much good in mentioning them.
Indeed. We won't mention them, but we put a lot of work into it.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2008-04-17 at 19:02.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 17:48   Link #1455
genryou
The ______ maker
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
The forum uses the NoSpam! VBulletin PlugIn. Any VBulletin license owner can download it and replace the default standard CAPTCHA with it. Presuming your friends have VBulletin they can try it. Otherwise it's easily coded/cloned.

i see..

instead of vbulletin, they were using getphpbb, its not really that secure huh?
Old 2008-04-17, 18:07   Link #1456
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I believe what you're refering to is a phpBB service provider, not forum software.

But anyway, anyone with some minimum php (actually any programing know-how will do) can clone that plug-in.
There's nothing at all sophisticated about it, exept it's integration to VBulletin as a product perhaps.
Old 2008-04-17, 18:29   Link #1457
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Have them read the items referenced here: http://www.google.com/search?q=phpbb+security

Alternatively, they could switch to vBulletin which is remarkably free of charge for noncommercial use. phpBB has been plagued with various security problems from its inception. I'm sure recent versions are much more robust, but vB seems more solid.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 20:11   Link #1458
Vinak
Procrastinator

Quote:
It seems that some manga sites use the same "online manga viewer" as if they are all getting theirs' from the same place. Where can I find a script that would allow me to have my own online manga viewer?

Edit: New question since my old one isn't getting answered.

I don't remember the exact details but in my Earth science class, my teacher mentioned that we are slowly converting over to metric. I believe its a voluntary thing with businesses. the government is encouraging measurements to be switched over to metric but isn't forcing anybody to make the switch.
I don't remember the details since this was years ago. but i think i am on the right track.

In my school district we were taught to use the metric system.
Old 2008-04-20, 00:34   Link #1459
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I've noticed that a lot of graphic artists here seem to use "C4D" for much of their images, largely in the way of generating flashy backgrounds and other visual effects. What is C4D? The only thing I can link it with is "Cinema 4D" which is a 3D rendering program (one of the older ones at that, I remember it from many years ago). The main product webpage seems to be pushing it as an animation solution.

Is that right? If so, why are people choosing to use C4D as opposed to Maya/3DS Max? Those two are extremely high-level and carry a high learning curve; is C4D an easier solution, somewhat similar to Carrara (for those who know it)? Thanks in advance.
Old 2008-04-20, 01:05   Link #1460
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I've noticed that a lot of graphic artists here seem to use "C4D" for much of their images, largely in the way of generating flashy backgrounds and other visual effects. What is C4D? The only thing I can link it with is "Cinema 4D" which is a 3D rendering program (one of the older ones at that, I remember it from many years ago). The main product webpage seems to be pushing it as an animation solution.

Is that right? If so, why are people choosing to use C4D as opposed to Maya/3DS Max? Those two are extremely high-level and carry a high learning curve; is C4D an easier solution, somewhat similar to Carrara (for those who know it)? Thanks in advance.
Yup, 100%. I also disagree with using CD4 as an artstyle, but they only thing I can say about it is that CD4 is a artform in itself, same as me who only uses premade brushes, custom brushes, brush effects and layer styles.

Creating a "flashy" background like you said can come from other forms rather than CD4, but using them can save u a bit of hassle simply by switching the layer style to the "dodges" and add a few quick strokes ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
You're right Ledgem, C4D is a 3d looking render that's made from Cinema 4D but you can also make C4D in other manipulating apps such as Photoshop as well.

Why people choose C4D over Maya/3DS Max?

I know some friends in the 3d circle and they prefer using Maya but if you're just talking about the graphic artist demographic, it's much easier to search the web and find some pre-made C4D brushes and import it to photoshop.
Maya is rather difficult to use isn't it? I have never used it myself, but from what i've heard it takes quit a bit of knowledge and computer power, which mine cannot do ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, q&a, serious