Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-06, 11:26   Link #1
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Strategy or Interactive based VNs

Hey everybody,

As the title suggests, I'm looking for some VNs that have a gameplay element rather than just being an interactive novel. I love the VN style, but I just can't treat games as books - if it's on the computer I always feel like I should be doing something occassionally between the dialogue instead of just making a choice here and there.

So, I'm looking for some recommendations that are comparable to stuff like some of the Alicesoft titles I've played and really enjoyed, such as the Rance series (especially Sengoku Rance), and Big Bang Age. I should mention the thing that caught me most about these titles is the amount of extra goodies you can clear to completely clock the game. Like alternate routes, character clears and CG to collect.

Also something like Baldr Force would be good, that gameplay was fun, but I'm not big on the sci-fi genre so something either modern or fantasy based would be preferred. Battle Moon Wars is another fun one I enjoyed.

I'm not picky with too many other details, I'm willing to try any sort of system, as long as it's more than just an interactive novel.

Ero and non-ero recommendations are both welcome. I don't really know how common the type of VN I'm asking for is as I haven't heard of many myself, so apologies if I haven't given enough details. Just let me know if you need to know more before you can make a suggestion.

Almost forgot to mention, English translation only please.

Ta, lads and ladies.
Old 2011-11-06, 11:57   Link #2
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Have you played Utawarerumono? Considering the games that you mentioned, you may like it coz it's more or less similar. As for the English translation, there's a complete fan translation patch for the PC DVD version of Utawarerumono. You just have to look for it. As for me, I played the game in my roommate's PC back during college. After finishing it, I didn't really bother with it again since I'm pretty occupied with tests and whatnot and I forgot to keep it before I moved T-T

Btw, here's a pic of it:
Old 2011-11-06, 15:21   Link #3
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Tears to Tiara has an english localization and it's a strategy rpg, but i haven't played it myself.
Old 2011-11-06, 22:28   Link #4
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

The only problem with Tears to Tiara and Utawarerumono is that it's set on a single ending. But there are plenty of CGs to collect with some hidden ones as well.

Tears to Tiara - If you played games like Tactics Ogre. The gameplay is similar to this while being fun at the same time. Of course you'll have to farm up at some point or you'll get behind. The storyline is very nice, but the anime itself is dedicated so nothing different between these two besides gameplay.

Utawarerumono - Similar gameplay to Tears to Tiara, the anime is also very dedicated to the plot as well.

Men at Work! 2 ~Hunter Academy e Youkoso~ - Do you like gameplays similar to Final Fantasy 7 or 10? Then you would definitely enjoy this. Not quite sure what to say about the plot, but the girls are cute

Castle Fantasia ~Seima Taisen~ - Similar gameplay to Tears to Tiara and Utawarerumono and a simple but good story.

Eien no Aselia -The Spirit of Eternity Sword - The gameplay for this visual novel is quite nice and challenging. It seems like you can just farm up levels and such, but the AI will still be a nuisance either way. While at the same time, English translation taking out the bad ending and keeping you with the good endings Good story included.

Koihime Musou - Oh this visual novel is looong.... The gameplay is quite typical and easy to get used to. The AI is quite boring, but it's still gameplay

Princess Waltz - The gameplay is typically like a card game. Although it's not a card battle like Yu-Gi-Oh or anything.. It has some pretty nice elements towards it. While at the same time a good story.

Galaxy Angel - What happens when you put together dating simulation and RTS? You get this the gameplay is nice, but the first two games of this trilogy are very easy. But when you get to Eternal Lovers, is the time when things get extremely difficulty.

Lightning Warrior Raidy 2 - The gameplay is very similar to the previous Rance games prior to Sengoku Rance. A dungeon crawling style, cant really say much for plot though.

Little Busters! - It may seem like your average visual novel at the start, but then it will eventually turn into baseball gameplay. You also can go through specific events to help increase your character's stats and start a new game plus in order to get better results and multiple endings. The story for this one has high ratings from many people (myself included).

Edit: If you find any of these visual novels not within your taste. Please notify me.

Last edited by Hooves; 2011-11-06 at 22:50.
Old 2011-11-06, 22:53   Link #5
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

tears,Uta, and koihime are the best games out in that category but in koihime the battles are plain boring but the story makes up for it easily
Old 2011-11-06, 23:01   Link #6
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Hmmm, I found Little Busters gameplay quite addicting Trying to increase my stats as best as possible with my perfectionist attitude.
Old 2011-11-07, 04:48   Link #7
Rethice
Kingslayer

Thanks for the recommendations all,

I'm going to start with checking out Eien no Aselia, Princess Waltz, Tears to Tiara, Little Busters, Lightning Warrior Raidy 2 and Koihime Musou.

Forgot to mention I've already played (and enjoyed) Utawarerumono.

Eien no Aselia looks quite interesting, but it's proving difficult to find a good version of it. Apparently it's a ps2 port? Anyway, I'll find it - it's probably the one to have piqued my interest most of all!

Unfortunately I was a little put off by the art style of Castle Fantasia and Men at Work 2, bit old looking for my tastes (nothing against the game itself, I'm just difficult with that detail )

Galaxy Angel I'm not sure is my kind of thing, I was intimidated by the anime at a young age, but if I get bored enough I'll check that one out too. >_>

Any more recommendations are welcome!
Old 2011-11-14, 17:16   Link #8
sona-nyl
Actually an Alligator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethice View Post
Eien no Aselia looks quite interesting, but it's proving difficult to find a good version of it. Apparently it's a ps2 port?
Its a backport of the ps2 ver. If you need the translation you'll have to find the LN of the sequel Seinarukana. Otherwis you might as well get the special edition or the recently announced psp ver. Just don't buy the original game.
Old 2011-11-27, 23:34   Link #9
Rethice
Kingslayer

Well I'm about 20 hours through Koihime Musou now.

I see what you guys mean by "average" combat system, it's defintely not something to call home about, but for some reason I'm enjoying it anyway.

Keep the recommendations coming!

Tags
alicesoft, interactive, strategy, suggestions, virtual novel