Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-11-29, 12:17   Link #141
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbethy View Post
there doesn't seem to be any limbo about it... they were intending to release things through adv, but the two companies couldn't come to an agreement. all the news i have read has said that geneon usa is dead for good... and if any of the series continue, they will have to be picked up by someone else.

http://anime.ign.com/articles/834/834362p1.html
Production has stop but the company is still there in a legal sense and still owns all rights to any anime in its profolio. So unless Genon USA completely close down and the rights to it is animes are revert back to the original company fansubs are still a no go.

Besides which Shows like Hellsing and Black Lagoon are pretty much going to be pick by someone they are the type of shows that tend to o well in the R1 market.

Also Avatar is still being pay by someone to work on Nanoha and Zero so both shows being release in the future is pretty high.

It is all just a matter of time.
Old 2007-11-29, 12:42   Link #142
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

I had a question. What does this Quote mean?:

"From October 1, 2007, Geneon USA will focus mainly on management of its works portfolio."
Old 2007-11-29, 13:34   Link #143
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
I had a question. What does this Quote mean?:

"From October 1, 2007, Geneon USA will focus mainly on management of its works portfolio."
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...98#post1166898
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 15:51   Link #144
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
So it just means that they are looking to find people to sell their product's licenses to? I thought it had a more significant meaning than that.
Old 2007-11-29, 16:53   Link #145
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
So it just means that they are looking to find people to sell their product's licenses to? I thought it had a more significant meaning than that.
Perhaps it does. What did you think it meant?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-29, 17:05   Link #146
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It doesn't just mean "to sell their product licenses" ... they have works in progress that they appear to be trying to negotiate completion, release, and distribution agreements with other shops.

Rereading their news releases ... I'm wondering if they're intent on just becoming a clearing house or "prime contractor" and all the actual work gets outsourced.
Old 2007-11-30, 14:31   Link #147
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Perhaps it does. What did you think it meant?
Well what i wrote was what i thought. But i still thought there might have been a bigger meaning to what they said. Such as they might want to completly stop trades with USA. In another words i thought maybe Geneon (JP) didnt want to have any of their works released in USA any more, which would be a bummer. They usually have good works and Geneon's quality of anime was improving and at a really good level. I was curious ( as probably many fans are) why Geneon did that. Wouldnt USA be one of their biggest market?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It doesn't just mean "to sell their product licenses" ... they have works in progress that they appear to be trying to negotiate completion, release, and distribution agreements with other shops.

Rereading their news releases ... I'm wondering if they're intent on just becoming a clearing house or "prime contractor" and all the actual work gets outsourced.
Oh to finish the unfinished works. I completly forgot about that. Well i still hope they would some how release their work in USA. Also It was a shame that they couldnt come up with an agreement with AD vision. After VIZ they are my most favorite producers.
Old 2008-01-02, 18:46   Link #148
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Queried the address given on Geneon's still active website (which links to a Rightstuf address). Here's the response I got. Not promising but not dead and buried either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightstuf rep for questions about Geneon
Hello-
Unfortunately, we haven't heard anything about another company picking
up Geneon's unfinished titles. If/when that does happen, the
announcement will be made on both the company website and ours as well.

Thank you and have a nice day,
Brandon B.
The other thing is that Geneon's website acts as if things are still running... just no updates or status updates since November.
Old 2008-01-02, 19:08   Link #149
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The other thing is that Geneon's website acts as if things are still running... just no updates or status updates since November.
I guess they might still have a chance to see the market value of their assets ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 06:27   Link #150
Seiryuu

Concerning GENEON USA Licenses...

I'm out of date on this, and there's probably a different thread somewhere I didn't look on it, but I'm curious about this. As I've heard it, Geneon USA has completely shut down. Some companies, like Funimation, are trying to acquire the licenses that Geneon either didn't start or didn't finish. Regardless, the licensing company seems to be no more, so my question is: of those licenses that have not yet had a single release, what is their status? I've heard of licenses being cancelled before, and I know how such a show's status is viewed on AS and the forums. But what of ZnT, Nanoha and Geneon's other recent buys?
Please note, I am only asking about Geneon licenses that have not begun distribution yet and that have not been officially picked up by a different company. If my information is out of date and all their licenses have been reclaimed, then that's fine. I also know that most of the licenses, if not yet claimed, are likely targets for other companies to license and will probably be licensed soon. But, again, until officially transferred, what is the general view?
note: I'm also disregarding issues with parent companies, such as MFI, since shows with such issues have the same status whether licensed or not.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 09:20   Link #151
bayoab

All shows are still licensed by Geneon. They have just stopped releasing the DVDs. They are still working on production of the series (dubbing, subtitles) as they have contracts with other companies that require them to finish the work on them.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 17:13   Link #152
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

This is... so bloody strange. My 3 Karin volumes sitting their Karin artbox would really like to have the rest of their sisters join them. My fund for Nanoha is getting dusty....

The total lack of status doesn't improve my disposition.
Here's a link to the last bit of information someone was able to spot (in February):
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-geneon-titles
Old 2008-03-26, 19:08   Link #153
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I really wish someone would take Nanoha off their hands already... It was one of the series I was looking foward to buying. On line of course, as I was certainly not looking forward to getting strange looks from the cashier at best buy.

You'd think as an anime fan I'd be used to those strange looks.
Old 2008-03-26, 19:58   Link #154
Icehawk

So long as Black Lagoon and Higurashi get picked up I will be happy, those two shows simly MUST be finnished. Yeah, the silence on the status of this debacle is really annoying. Would have been nice if Funimation gave an update at that convention they were at recently.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 22:30   Link #155
Seiryuu

Sorry for making the new thread, I was looking for this in the license department.
As I said, I have no doubt about stuff like Higurashi, where some of the series is complete. At that point, contracts and plans become harder to change. Prior to initial distribution, however, things are a little less certain. I understood, however, that no new productions would be produced and distributed, so it sounds like projects like Nanoha that are still in the earlier stages were simply cut. I just want to know how the "complete" shutdown of Geneon USA effects those. It could be that they're far enough along and have done enough work on the first volumes that contracts with other companies will require production or sale. On the other hand, depending on how far along production was, it could be like Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch: work just stops and deals are voided. So, were the series they've been PLANNING but not yet PRODUCING completely dropped, or are there still some contractual obligations left?
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 00:18   Link #156
bayoab

Production continued on all Geneon series. Even the ones they hadn't even started work on before closing.

Also, it appears that the first true rescue has appeared as there is a post on the AnimeonDVD forums that Media Blasters has Seirei no Moribito. (Trailer is supposedly on Kite: Liberator DVD).
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 13:03   Link #157
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
Sorry for making the new thread, I was looking for this in the license department.
As I said, I have no doubt about stuff like Higurashi, where some of the series is complete. At that point, contracts and plans become harder to change. Prior to initial distribution, however, things are a little less certain. I understood, however, that no new productions would be produced and distributed, so it sounds like projects like Nanoha that are still in the earlier stages were simply cut. I just want to know how the "complete" shutdown of Geneon USA effects those. It could be that they're far enough along and have done enough work on the first volumes that contracts with other companies will require production or sale. On the other hand, depending on how far along production was, it could be like Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch: work just stops and deals are voided. So, were the series they've been PLANNING but not yet PRODUCING completely dropped, or are there still some contractual obligations left?
Translation and timing for Nanoha has been finish for quite a while. Not sure where the dubs stand but Nanoha was not cut in the early stages.
Old 2008-03-27, 22:15   Link #158
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Translation and timing for Nanoha has been finish for quite a while. Not sure where the dubs stand but Nanoha was not cut in the early stages.
Nanoha has been completely dubbed, info from personal contact who knows the VA for nanoha.

Whether the dub ever gets released is still completely unknown.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 22:47   Link #159
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Nanoha has been completely dubbed, info from personal contact who knows the VA for nanoha.

Do you know who'll be dubbing it or that's a secret?
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 03:32   Link #160
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post

That's good to hear. If it's read to go it will hopefully increase the chances of another company picking it up. It would be a shame if they put all that work in and it never sees a release though...