AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-13, 11:52   Link #401
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusjecht View Post
If only to assist your avatar design, Gold, purple and yellow make brown...a primary and secondary colour combined making this tertiary colour. If Chocolat Puppeteer is anything to go by, it'll result in special attacks with...some affinity towards range. Brown is either low saturated orange, or purple and yellow.
The chromatic wheel is subtractive, not additive. Brown may be low-saturated orange, but it won't be a combination of Purple and Yellow.

The idea is that White, being in the center, can use attacks which are direct or indirect at any range.

An ice attack which directly deals damage and indirectly affects the outcome of the fight (by freezing the target in place) would be suitably White, since it can be used at point-blank range, or up to mid-range.

I'm going to guess that White Cosmos uses intense light to blind her enemies and inflict heat-based damage. She doesn't have the range of a Red avatar, and can't blind people as easily as a Yellow avatar could, but she's trickier than a Red and punchier than a Yellow. Her body is also stronger or faster or tougher than theirs, though not on the level of a Purple or Green (let alone Blue).
Old 2013-02-13, 11:55   Link #402
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Ah, so jack of all trades.

You have seen her throne thingy in the image thread, right?
Old 2013-02-13, 12:11   Link #403
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Ah, so jack of all trades.
That HAS always been my theory on White.

With Black being "hyper-specialized in one thing, even more so than normal chromatic colors."

Quote:
You have seen her throne thingy in the image thread, right?
And the crown/halo thing.

Either of which could be the Sacred Arc known as the Luminary. Since Luminary means "producing light", it would seem to be the case of another Sacred Arc suspicously matching the color and ability of the avatar that gained it.

The green shield to Green Grandee, the blue broadsword to Blue Knight, the purple scepter/wand called the Tempest to the Voltage Empress...

Since halos are supposed to be auras/crowns of light, it's likely that the halo/crown thing is the Luminary.
Old 2013-02-14, 10:37   Link #404
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

i just thought...since in SAO, you can pay to customise nearly every aspect of your property when you buy it...

...in Brain Burst, what if you could customise the colour palette of your armaments by paying Burst Points?

I mean, you pay with BPs for a lot of things already, such as train rides, food, drink, houses, et cetera, why not armaments?
Old 2013-02-14, 12:15   Link #405
Sunder the Gold

Haru joked that KYH was welcome to mark Silver Crow as her property by writing her name on it with a permanent marker.

She told him that such a thing really existed, as a purchaseable item.

But beyond that, a sword and shield are archetypical Blue and Green tools. A lightning wand which doesn't have enough range to be Red, a halo which both directly and indirectly attacks all enemies up to a certain distance...
Old 2013-02-16, 04:53   Link #406
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Say Gold maybe you could steal some ideas from the Bounty Hunter of SWTOR and use the entropy itself as an energy source. There's simpler stuff like Flush Coolant which would visually resemble the venting nature of the devices, to Reload Coolant Cartridge which ejects a heated cartridge for a chilled one probably can be refilled with any liquid that has a energy of heating.

This also allows Dawn Star to Reverse Quantum Frequencies and fire off a Starlight Breaker using all the residual entropy in the area.

After all, playing around with entropy is what real magical girls do.

Also, in my head fanon, there's an player-driven economy in Accel World centered around Burst Points. Most people would prefer to PVP or just troll one another (Goonswarm does resemble the Society somewhat), while those with loftier goals fight in their own ways (the old Kings regime), and the rest are just Merchant Guys, Crafters, Miners, Ratters, Traders, Thugs, Pirates...

Your game, your way. (TM)

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2013-02-16 at 05:04.
Old 2013-02-16, 09:49   Link #407
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Also, in my head fanon, there's an player-driven economy in Accel World centered around Burst Points. Most people would prefer to PVP or just troll one another (Goonswarm does resemble the Society somewhat), while those with loftier goals fight in their own ways (the old Kings regime), and the rest are just Merchant Guys, Crafters, Miners, Ratters, Traders, Thugs, Pirates...

Your game, your way. (TM)
You're going to have to explain how this economy works. Especially when the only way to introduce Burst Points into the system is to make Children to steal them from, or to hunt Enemies (which offer poor rewards in terms of points).

Recall that Takumu, who was Accelerated for at least a year and who had achieved Level 4 and experienced the Unlimited Neutral Field, and who had gone to many lengths to acquire Burst Points, could only suggest transfering points to the Level 2 Silver Crow by letting Haruyuki beat him in a few duels.

There has also been no demonstrated way to transfer Burst Points between Burst Linkers except through battle.

Or perhaps by selling equipment to the Shop in return for Burst Points, with someone else waiting to spend Burst Points purchasing the item.

But in order for the seller to come out ahead, they would need to be selling equipment they can afford to part with, either because it's a Drop they don't want or an initial equipment made totally obsolete by a Drop.

AND this assumes that the Shop pays Burst Points to a seller, rather than just giving them a "gift card" or "tab" with which they can go on and buy items from the Shop. Which is very possible.

Quote:
There's simpler stuff like Flush Coolant which would visually resemble the venting nature of the devices
I'd planned on AW Raising Heart starting with the heating vents MGLN Raising Heart always had. Though those could be gained through a level up bonus instead, before the coolant cartridges.

Quote:
to Reload Coolant Cartridge which ejects a heated cartridge for a chilled one probably can be refilled with any liquid that has a energy of heating.
Loading a new one wouldn't instantly cool Raising Heart back down, though; it would just speed up the cooldown period.

Quote:
Say Gold maybe you could steal some ideas from the Bounty Hunter of SWTOR and use the entropy itself as an energy source. ,
This also allows Dawn Star to Reverse Quantum Frequencies and fire off a Starlight Breaker using all the residual entropy in the area.
Sorry, my physics education was sorely lacking. If there's any realistic basis to this, I'm not seeing it. If there's any dramatic basis that I haven't already covered sufficiently, I'm not seeing.

And Kyubi can fuck off and die, but I'm not getting into Madoka arguments here.
Old 2013-02-16, 22:03   Link #408
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunder the Gold View Post
You're going to have to explain how this economy works. Especially when the only way to introduce Burst Points into the system is to make Children to steal them from, or to hunt Enemies (which offer poor rewards in terms of points).

Recall that Takumu, who was Accelerated for at least a year and who had achieved Level 4 and experienced the Unlimited Neutral Field, and who had gone to many lengths to acquire Burst Points, could only suggest transfering points to the Level 2 Silver Crow by letting Haruyuki beat him in a few duels.

There has also been no demonstrated way to transfer Burst Points between Burst Linkers except through battle.

Or perhaps by selling equipment to the Shop in return for Burst Points, with someone else waiting to spend Burst Points purchasing the item.

But in order for the seller to come out ahead, they would need to be selling equipment they can afford to part with, either because it's a Drop they don't want or an initial equipment made totally obsolete by a Drop.

AND this assumes that the Shop pays Burst Points to a seller, rather than just giving them a "gift card" or "tab" with which they can go on and buy items from the Shop. Which is very possible.
Long story short, the current Accel World is a dead mmo with the servers somehow still running. My story was set during the golden age of Kings, long before Nega Nebulous' betrayal.

Back then, there was live PVE, burst point trading from shops, Enhanced Gear crafting, a mystery GM spawning UNF Boss mobs that dropped really good items, burst points packages and ingredients in exchange for the risk of sudden death (if you died in the Encounter, you died in the Accel World, permanently, instead of respawning.)

I basically imagined what would Accel World be like if it behaved more like an MMO.

As my story proceeds, the world begins to crumble, and that GM disappeared. The Kings clung on, but things had begun to sour. My protagonist's story would end here and see the rise of the Yellow King in a place where there was once honor in combat.

Now, only those who were playing during that Golden Age still know where to scrap together something to sell, or values to hold on to. Everyone else just wants to pvp, and without a manual and maintenance, much of the original community has collapsed. All that's left is the odd bartender operating a lone saloon here, a finicky crafter paying Bursters to help her farm mats from what bosses like Nidd-hogg that still randomly spawn from a degrading server code, and fewer and fewer Old Ones remain as they tire of the game and quit, or die to honorless ambushes.

Quote:
Sorry, my physics education was sorely lacking. If there's any realistic basis to this, I'm not seeing it. If there's any dramatic basis that I haven't already covered sufficiently, I'm not seeing.

And Kyubi can fuck off and die, but I'm not getting into Madoka arguments here.
Its just abstract theoretical physics so explaining it would be kinda hard...
Old 2013-02-16, 22:37   Link #409
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

To take care of the physics:

Entropy basically measures the energy of an object or its surroundings. Higher energy = more energy and vice versa.

Use of entropy Mahou Shoujo-style basically means extracting energy from your surroundings, or an object, and using it to do work - lasers, attacks, defense, whatever.

Law of conservation says, however, all energy is conserved and not destroyed. In layman's terms, if I am locked in a box, with ten inedible toy balls, no matter how many balls I ingest the box always contains me and ten balls. Neither can I shit a toy ball without swallowing one.

Mahou Shoujo says I can do this, but the box is replaced with the world. If I want to shit a toy ball to use as a weapon, a toy ball must be taken from elsewhere.

That's all you should need to understand.
Old 2013-02-17, 09:58   Link #410
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Long story short, the current Accel World is a dead mmo with the servers somehow still running. My story was set during the golden age of Kings, long before Nega Nebulous' betrayal.
Is this intended to be even slightly "Alternate Universe", or how you honestly imagine things might have been in the very same setting? Because some elements don't seem to fit with the character of the Accelerated World and its mysterious creator.

Red Rider's ability to create guns he could give it others... was that not an ability he gained at Level 9, and something which cost Burst Points to use? Or is any of that not supported?

I also find it hard to believe that the mysterious creator would interact with Accel World as a GM. Whenever anyone speaks of updates to the game or messages about turning Level 10, these might as well be automated processes given how they react. No one speaks as if someone is really watching them and responding to what they do, especially not in the sense that this individual used to do so more actively.

Quote:
Back then, there was live PVE
There's still "live PVE" now, isn't there? The Hunt that Haruyuki saw was much more involved in the lightnovels, and featured Tanking, Hate-management and DPSing.

Quote:
I basically imagined what would Accel World be like if it behaved more like an MMO.
Except the MMO is strictly supplemental to the basic function of Dueling, is it not?

There are three aspects of the game: A fighting game, an MMO game, and a faction-based territory defend-and-conquer game.

Back when the first players reached Level 7 and formed the first legions, the Territory Defend-and-Conquer aspect of the game would have been more important than the MMO function of the game, because it had far more impact upon the basic function of Dueling.

The Accelerated World had an MMO option before the legions emerged, but it was probably only after that point -- when pressure was removed from the real world -- that a real focus could be placed on the MMO possibilities of the Unlimited Neutral Field.

While all aspects of the game have stagnated in the wake of the treaty, the Dueling part of the game remains the healthiest, and the MMO has become the most pointless (since the greatest treasures are already taken).

And if the Kings had instead set to killing each other, the Dueling part of the game would have once against taken primacy. The MMO function would still have been the most pointless.

It's in the very name: Duel Avatar. The essence of the game comes down to Player Versus Player combat. The creator of the game offers what is perhaps the greatest prize of all to just one winner, while all of the losers are denied even the memories of what they were fighting for.

Quote:
My protagonist's story would end here and see the rise of the Yellow King in a place where there was once honor in combat.
Would this have anything to do with Matchmaker and his guards ensuring that the Akibahara Battleground remains a sacred neutral ground where Burst Linkers can come to duel and gamble without fear of the Yellow King attacking or Matchmaker marking their real faces?

And you speak of the rise of the Yellow King, but he was already a king when Red Rider was killed. At the same time, he was one of the few Kings who was not an Original Generation and who did not acquire a Sacred Arc.

(Black Lotus and Scarlet Rain being the others.)

Quote:
Now, only those who were playing during that Golden Age still know where to scrap together something to sell, or values to hold on to. Everyone else just wants to pvp, and without a manual and maintenance, much of the original community has collapsed.
As I said, there are still organized Hunts. Though organized dungeon raids might have died out, especially if there are no dungeons besides the major five.

Quote:
All that's left is the odd bartender operating a lone saloon here
Actually, the Shop keepers are NPCs, which Burst Linkers tend to call [Drone].

Though I suppose, if component-farming is even a thing, there might be a high-Level hermit who purchased a house like Sky Raker's, and who makes stuff in return for Burst Points. But given that entering the UNF costs 10 points each time, would this individual be able to turn a "profit" on Burst Points? And what would he or she even want all of those Points FOR?

Plus, anyone who got that strong could go farm Enemies for points directly, couldn't they? Or at least become popular and vital members of organized Hunts.

Quote:
a finicky crafter paying Bursters to help her farm mats from what bosses like Nidd-hogg that still randomly spawn from a degrading server code, and fewer and fewer Old Ones remain as they tire of the game and quit, or die to honorless ambushes.
I wonder if this isn't the case with the high-Level manga-artist that Sky Raker told Silver Crow about. The one who uses the UNF to sleep, so that he can use the extra 7+ hours in the real world to work on his manga while also continuing to be a full-time high school student.

To become so strong to enter and use the UNF so casually, he must have the power to gather many Burst Points to spend on Unlimited Burst and the purchase of some kind of shelter, like Sky Raker's.

I also imagine that he's a Yellow with powers similar to Orchid Oracle's. You have to figure a Burst Linker who is that passionate about writing and drawing manga would have an avatar with creative powers like changing the whole environment, and/or conjuring detailed illusions.

It might be interesting if he was, in fact, the parent of Yellow Radio and the original Yellow King. And perhaps the estranged ally of Matchmaker.
Old 2013-02-18, 20:32   Link #411
Sunder the Gold

More on White Avatars...

I wonder if Ivory Tower has the ability to manipulate and conjure stone. Perhaps his ability "Under Cover" refers to a burrowing power. Ivory is a kind of rock, and towers are generally made of rocks. The ability to control stone can be used to alter certain landscapes as well as use the environment itself to attack opponents, which might be suitably White.

It might also be possible for a White version of Purple Thorn to exist. I'm sure that Thorn's attacks carry a chance of inflicting electrical paralysis, but only her level and bonus investment would make it dangerous. For a White avatar, status effects are more powerful at the cost of direct damage, so electrical paralysis will have a higher success rate, as well as a stronger and longer effect.

In fact, if one made "White Lightning" as an extreme lightweight, speed-based character, that might work well for Fate Testarossa. Fate DOES gain a white cape in the third TV season and the second movie adaptation, even though her primary color is black.

As a Black avatar, Fate would likely not have electrical powers at all, being entirely focused on speed. Naturally, this focus would need to be different from Blood Leopard's, and preferably not involve teleportation.
Old 2013-02-18, 23:13   Link #412
garf02

Quote:
Is this intended to be even slightly "Alternate Universe", or how you honestly imagine things might have been in the very same setting? Because some elements don't seem to fit with the character of the Accelerated World and its mysterious creator.

Red Rider's ability to create guns he could give it others... was that not an ability he gained at Level 9, and something which cost Burst Points to use? Or is any of that not supported?

I also find it hard to believe that the mysterious creator would interact with Accel World as a GM. Whenever anyone speaks of updates to the game or messages about turning Level 10, these might as well be automated processes given how they react. No one speaks as if someone is really watching them and responding to what they do, especially not in the sense that this individual used to do so more actively.

There's still "live PVE" now, isn't there? The Hunt that Haruyuki saw was much more involved in the lightnovels, and featured Tanking, Hate-management and DPSing.

Except the MMO is strictly supplemental to the basic function of Dueling, is it not?

There are three aspects of the game: A fighting game, an MMO game, and a faction-based territory defend-and-conquer game.

Back when the first players reached Level 7 and formed the first legions, the Territory Defend-and-Conquer aspect of the game would have been more important than the MMO function of the game, because it had far more impact upon the basic function of Dueling.

The Accelerated World had an MMO option before the legions emerged, but it was probably only after that point -- when pressure was removed from the real world -- that a real focus could be placed on the MMO possibilities of the Unlimited Neutral Field.

While all aspects of the game have stagnated in the wake of the treaty, the Dueling part of the game remains the healthiest, and the MMO has become the most pointless (since the greatest treasures are already taken).

And if the Kings had instead set to killing each other, the Dueling part of the game would have once against taken primacy. The MMO function would still have been the most pointless.

It's in the very name: Duel Avatar. The essence of the game comes down to Player Versus Player combat. The creator of the game offers what is perhaps the greatest prize of all to just one winner, while all of the losers are denied even the memories of what they were fighting for.

Would this have anything to do with Matchmaker and his guards ensuring that the Akibahara Battleground remains a sacred neutral ground where Burst Linkers can come to duel and gamble without fear of the Yellow King attacking or Matchmaker marking their real faces?

And you speak of the rise of the Yellow King, but he was already a king when Red Rider was killed. At the same time, he was one of the few Kings who was not an Original Generation and who did not acquire a Sacred Arc.

(Black Lotus and Scarlet Rain being the others.)

As I said, there are still organized Hunts. Though organized dungeon raids might have died out, especially if there are no dungeons besides the major five.

Actually, the Shop keepers are NPCs, which Burst Linkers tend to call [Drone].

Though I suppose, if component-farming is even a thing, there might be a high-Level hermit who purchased a house like Sky Raker's, and who makes stuff in return for Burst Points. But given that entering the UNF costs 10 points each time, would this individual be able to turn a "profit" on Burst Points? And what would he or she even want all of those Points FOR?

Plus, anyone who got that strong could go farm Enemies for points directly, couldn't they? Or at least become popular and vital members of organized Hunts.

I wonder if this isn't the case with the high-Level manga-artist that Sky Raker told Silver Crow about. The one who uses the UNF to sleep, so that he can use the extra 7+ hours in the real world to work on his manga while also continuing to be a full-time high school student.

To become so strong to enter and use the UNF so casually, he must have the power to gather many Burst Points to spend on Unlimited Burst and the purchase of some kind of shelter, like Sky Raker's.

I also imagine that he's a Yellow with powers similar to Orchid Oracle's. You have to figure a Burst Linker who is that passionate about writing and drawing manga would have an avatar with creative powers like changing the whole environment, and/or conjuring detailed illusions.

It might be interesting if he was, in fact, the parent of Yellow Radio and the original Yellow King. And perhaps the estranged ally of Matchmaker.
Yellow Radio and the original Yellow King

Aint Radio the 1st and only Yellow avatar, ergo, Yellow King?
Old 2013-02-18, 23:34   Link #413
Sunder the Gold

I'm not saying he isn't.

I was implying that, for the purposes of a specific fanfic, he might not be. Especially if that fits the idea that MeisterBabylon wants to explore.

We know it's possible for more than one person to be a pure color. Just look at Black Lotus and Black Vise.
Old 2013-02-19, 01:55   Link #414
garf02

Quote:
I'm not saying he isn't.

I was implying that, for the purposes of a specific fanfic, he might not be. Especially if that fits the idea that MeisterBabylon wants to explore.

We know it's possible for more than one person to be a pure color. Just look at Black Lotus and Black Vise.
This was almost denied by Niko in vol 13, saying is the 1st time ever she heard of two avatar sharing the same color, even says that maybe Black Vise is a fake name and that wonders if there is a way to change your color
Old 2013-02-19, 08:06   Link #415
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by garf02 View Post
This was almost denied by Niko in vol 13, saying is the 1st time ever she heard of two avatar sharing the same color, even says that maybe Black Vise is a fake name and that wonders if there is a way to change your color
Ooh, interesting. Thanks, that's the kind of spoiler I enjoy.

Given his tactics, I'm thinking he was originally [Orangish] Vise.

Though I also wouldn't put it past KYH's sister, at this point, to have somehow fooled even Lotus about her true color. That's far less likely, though.
Old 2013-02-19, 10:55   Link #416
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

That would be interesting...Vise as we know is able to hack his BB name, probably rivalling KYH (who used her dummy avatar instead of Lotus).

Or, why not Shadow Vise? Words aside...shadows seems to connect with Vise's shadow travel skill.

On that note, is that travelling skill probably counted as Movement Range expansion IS technique?
Old 2013-02-19, 11:27   Link #417
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
That would be interesting...Vise as we know is able to hack his BB name, probably rivalling KYH (who used her dummy avatar instead of Lotus).
As "who" knows? I know he can hack his own brain using the BIC, but I haven't heard about altering his name.

Quote:
Or, why not Shadow Vise? Words aside...shadows seems to connect with Vise's shadow travel skill.
Depends entirely on whether or not "Shadow" is the name of a proper color. Which I doubt.

Quote:
On that note, is that travelling skill probably counted as Movement Range expansion IS technique?
Doesn't glow. All three IS Skills (the panel trap, the Static Pressure enhancement, and the Layered Armor) cause his shoulder to glow where his arm should be, even if the panels themselves don't glow.

Further, the Volume 12 list of abilities doesn't include IS Skills. "Shadow Lurker" is his avatar's conventional ability.
Old 2013-02-19, 11:33   Link #418
Orange Duke
オレンジ色の王
*Author

Quote:
Depends entirely on whether or not "Shadow" is the name of a proper color. Which I doubt.
Of course. As we all know, Graphite and Aqua aren't colours either, so it is simply ridiculous and idiotic to think that avatars named, for example, "Graphite Edge" and "Aqua Current" can exist.
Old 2013-02-19, 13:11   Link #419
Sunder the Gold

Aqua is an official and recognized shade of Blue, which is why I was surprised to learn that Current was technically Colorless/Black.
Old 2013-02-19, 16:58   Link #420
garf02

Quote:
Aqua is an official and recognized shade of Blue, which is why I was surprised to learn that Current was technically Colorless/Black.
nope, actually, in the chart on vol 10 of color wheel, there are 3 avatar that are placed outside of the color wheel, those are Vise, Lotus and Current, and that lead me to my theory that

Spoiler for Black is not a color:
Closed Thread

Tags
discussion, fanfiction