AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-05-02, 15:22   Link #61
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Too true. I love Dinklage's upper-class-crass; especially how he is able to effortlessly deride and belittle, yet provide emotional support all in one breath (see any of his conversations with Kit Harington/Jon Snow).

Standouts for this episode were Sean Bean/Ned (whom, while very good before, still felt a little too much like he was in a Syfy production (which he has been )) and Maisie Williams/Arya (their scene together was simple yet effortless and realistic). And Mark Eddy is doing a magnificent job with King Robert. Of particular interest for me was Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (as Jaime) in this most recent episode. He's always had the handsomeness down for the part, but this is the first episode were I felt he really nailed the monstrous intelligence and strength of Jaime.

That being said, despite the slow storytelling, I felt the pace was much livelier than in the past episode, and the individual scenes flowed together quite well. It's always a delight to see a film quite literally assemble its story and characters together like a tapestry, each section winding around another, merging and connecting to form a complete picture. And this is only episode 3 . Can't wait to see the more serious plots only just being alluded to come to light and how are slowly building characters react to the growing situation. 86/100.
Well my favourite Sean Bean scene is

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 18:16   Link #62
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I don't think there's a single casting choice I don't like in this show. Everybody plays their part well from what I've read in the book. However I'd even say that there are still standouts like Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. The guy plays his character with so much confidence and makes every line that comes out of his mouth amusing in a way.
Episode 3:

I agree with both points - the whole cast is excellent, and Dinklage is a particular standout. Having not read the books yet, his character is the most interesting for me so far as he's by far the hardest to pin down. Martin is either a great deceiver or not very interested in hiding who his villains are, but Tyrion could come down just about anywhere at this point and it wouldn't be a surprise.

I enjoyed the first two eps a lot, but this one might have been the best. It was less garish soap opera and more subtle psychological chess match.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 17:25   Link #63
Stealther

Having read the books, although quite a long time ago, I have to say the adaption is quite faithful. First episode was excellent, if a bit too fast-moving. Second also good. Third one feels way too fast. I think that's the overall backside for me, and the difficulty to translate the best quality of the books, the characterization.

The plot in the book is told via first-persons-views of selected characters (and some of these change with every book). First-person-view perspectives is the best way in a book to actually know a character, since you gain access to this chain of thoughts and reasoning. This is extremely hard to convert well into series I reckon. It has to be small scenes and nuances that tell this, and not just told in some weird dialogue. I feel a part of the original depth characterization is gone (I don't care if it's a bit different, but the depth), some characters more than other (of course more in those that you have first-person-views from in the books).

Still great acting by most actors, and even if Tyrion and Ned are great, they are a bit different. The one that really nailed his role 100% is Viserys Targaryen. He's really spot on, as taken from the books.
Stealther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 05:24   Link #64
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I completely forgot about this... I have to check it out. The previews and stuff look damn awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Arya better be as awesome as in the books. She is my favorite among the Starks.
Oh god yes, if they do end up doing the entire series I really can't wait to see Ayra develop. Sandor and Tyrion too, all three of those characters rock the badass meter. Daenerys was pretty good too.

I'll prolly end up wanting to punch all the Lanisters (and Sansa, initially) in the face such a morally bankrupt family... though I didn't mind Jaime on subsequent readings.
[snip]

Last edited by james0246; 2011-05-05 at 09:18. Reason: please do not unnecesarily spoil the series for others...
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 07:42   Link #65
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

^ Let's apply the same rules in this thread as we do for anime threads: No spoilers, not even under spoiler tags.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 07:55   Link #66
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I haven't had the time to follow the HBO broadcast, however if it's anything like the books it should be awesome. Low fantasy at its best. Showing that you don't need fancy magic to make a good fantasy book. Personally I've loved every single book in the series, and that includes the fourth book.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 09:29   Link #67
james0246

Let's try and refrain from providing specific spoilers to events not shown in the current episodes.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-05, 19:02   Link #68
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

Watched all 3 episodes the other night, pretty awesome series.

I hope they make enough episodes to tell the story and not leave it hanging, any case, this has got me interested in the books as well.
Old 2011-05-06, 08:15   Link #69
HoshiBoshi

I was pretty disappointed. They have a budget all right, but it's like they don't really care about the outcome. Just do what sort of in the book, we have the money, and will make more.

All the events are rushed, have no scale. Actors don't look even remotely on part with the characters. A lot of vitally important moments were left out - which is weird, seeing how they're usually extremely short to begin with. But hey, in their place gotta have all those useful topless shots, right?

And overall it looks like family friendly version of the books. No dread, no tension - but we got word "fuck" and some boobs instead of that, that makes it all mature, right? Gotta use that HBO broadcasting for something.
Old 2011-05-06, 09:40   Link #70
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatifnatten View Post
I was pretty disappointed. They have a budget all right, but it's like they don't really care about the outcome. Just do what sort of in the book, we have the money, and will make more.

All the events are rushed, have no scale. Actors don't look even remotely on part with the characters. A lot of vitally important moments were left out - which is weird, seeing how they're usually extremely short to begin with. But hey, in their place gotta have all those useful topless shots, right?

And overall it looks like family friendly version of the books. No dread, no tension - but we got word "fuck" and some boobs instead of that, that makes it all mature, right? Gotta use that HBO broadcasting for something.
hmm, without much explanation given, it is more of rant than valid criticism. I am guessing several poster here will disagree with the statement of the actors. On the other hand, I am quite amused by the statement of family friendly. Actually, bar certain genre (that starts with the letter P), I will say this is probably one of the most family unfriendly show that I have watched. Honestly, I haven't seen any other show with blood gushing out a torn open throat and I prefer not to see it.

Edit: just watched ep 3. Arya's performance is not very good. In the conversation with Ned, it felt like that she was reading the script. I am also confused why the fan-service girl went to the wood and then went back, she was there for something, right?

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 2011-05-06 at 11:58.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 11:27   Link #71
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatifnatten View Post

"Family friendly"? Have you not watched the killings, the machinations, corruption, incest, rapes, betrayals, conflicts of loyalty, revenge, mystery, action, politics and the other dreaded stuff on this show?

This is not a family friendly show. This is Rome meets LOTR.
Old 2011-05-06, 12:35   Link #72
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Yeah, "family friendly" doesn't sound like the criticism of someone who actually watched the first three episodes.
Old 2011-05-07, 02:19   Link #73
Irkalla
I asked for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
"Family friendly"? Have you not watched the killings, the machinations, corruption, incest, rapes, betrayals, conflicts of loyalty, revenge, mystery, action, politics and the other dreaded stuff on this show?
Dude, that is totally mainstream now

But honestly, if you have only watched the tv show it really may seem as some sorta awesome medieval soap-opera, it's rather slow-paced, but just enough intrigue to keep you interested. The books themselves are not really that obscene or described in great detail, they are classy. If you guys really want non family-friendly stuff, read the works of Joe Abercrombie, totally recommended, even Martin likes them!
Old 2011-05-09, 02:22   Link #74
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

the last scene with Lady Stark was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BADASS. i almost started cheering. Too bad it was Tyrion, and not any of the others. come on, how do you not like Tyrion... Daenerys' scene was very well done too.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-09, 05:31   Link #75
Irkalla
I asked for this

Once again, the actor who plays Viserys just nailed his attitude in full. Loved the bathtub scene - he was reciting dragon names while boning the gurl, then raged when she made him "sad". lawl

Also adored Jon and Sam's bonding, especially when they were talking about girls, so cheeky.

Really good character development episode.
Old 2011-05-09, 06:55   Link #76
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
the last scene with Lady Stark was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BADASS. i almost started cheering. Too bad it was Tyrion, and not any of the others. come on, how do you not like Tyrion... Daenerys' scene was very well done too.
Indeed. You don't mess with Lady Stark.
Old 2011-05-09, 10:13   Link #77
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

StarCraft 2 meets Game of Thrones

Old 2011-05-09, 15:53   Link #78
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

4th episode:

Lots of good comments here already, but let me add a note of admiration for Aidan Gillen, who's playing Littlefinger. In a huge cast like this is takes a lot to stand out, and he's made that character really stand out. Along with Tyrion he's probably the most intriguing one of the bunch for me so far.
Old 2011-05-10, 11:39   Link #79
jonli
JONLIの憂'

^ Couldn't agree more with Tyrion. Every scene with him is a treat. I have to say I really enjoy Jaime Lannister's character too. Boromir doesn't exactly intrigue me that much but I do admit that although his character design looks exactly like his LOTR counterpart he does feel radically different. Littlefinger's actor is great too, he really managed to portray this sense of sinister aura...can't say I can trust him.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 00:11   Link #80
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

God Game of Thrones is awesome...Other than animated works like "Dungeons and Dragons", "The Hobbit", and, I don't know, "Escaflowne"^^ I've never been hardcore into medieval type stuff...Keep in mind I've always had a wonder for it, but I've never even seen Lord of The Rings (This probably has more to do with my inability to watch anything longer than 2 1/2 hrs though), but this show is amazing...

The dialogue is so rich, so inexplicably woven with a cautious hand, for an English degree haver (which ironically is not a word^^) like myself it's ecstasy of the ears...A palette of personification...

At first I thought my favorite character would be the eldest Lanaster (You know the plastic action-figure of the show), but after he crippled the kid I was like f**k him ...So I've still been trying to figure out who I enjoy the most (Because this is what I do)..And I can't escape the god-damn Imp...He is utterly amazing...The way he straddles the line between playfulness and curtness is phenomenal...His disregarding persona just a mask for his pathos...That guy is doing great work...

And Aidan Gillian, what can I say...If you saw this guy play the Mayor on the Wire, and then play a cookie-cutter villain in 12 Rounds you know this dude has range beyond range...His spry comeback to Lord Stark telling him his distrust for him was the only smart move he's made since coming to town literally made me air-fist with glee...

I could go on and on, my God the final scene with Lady Stark's plea getting those swordsman to unsheathe on the stunned Imp, words don't do it's awesomeness justice, but I do have a question from this latest episode...

When Gillian's character tells the young Stark girl the story of the brothers what was he trying to achieve? I just watched the ep so i may have missed it, but I was a bit confused about his intentions with that...I think blood spewing from the jousted knights neck is more than enuff of an excuse to have distracted my attention here...

Anyways, i look forward to the next episode because the preview is pretty hardcore, and i can't wait...

Tags
game of thrones, hbo