AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2009-04-13, 13:35   Link #1
CC
♥ 無情この世はすべて
*Fansubber

U.N.オーエンは彼女なのか? (U.N. Owen Was Her?) Remixes

Some of you may or may not know of the popular Touhou song called "U.N. Owen Was Her?" (or U.N.オーエンは彼女なのか? in Japanese). This song was Flandre Scarlet's boss theme and the first Touhou song to gain memetic popularity through means unrelated to Touhou.

Flandre Scarlet (フランドール・スカーレット)
"Flandre is the younger sister of Remilia and the "dirty little secret" of Scarlet Devil Mansion. Because of her unstable personality and incredible destructive power, her sister has had her locked up in the basement for nearly 500 years. She knows little about the world outside and until the heroines arrived during the Extra Stage of Embodiment of Scarlet Devil she had had no substantive contact with any humans save Sakuya."
Flandre is probably one of the most insane yet simultaneously moe characters to exist in Japanese media to this day. She's the younger sister of Remilia, and has a lot less control than her sibling, hence the reasoning for the information above. She was first shown as the Extra Boss in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.
  • Ability: Destruction of anything and everything
  • The Extra Boss. Also the Mistress's younger sister.
  • She is a vampiric magical girl and has been the Scarlet Devil's younger sister for about 495 years.
  • She's kind of nuts and isn't usually allowed out of the cellar, but she usually doesn't try to let herself out.
  • She really respects her older sister Remilia, but her raw destructive power far exceeds that of her sister's. Although she is usually docile, her insanity makes it difficult for others to understand her.
  • When vampires attack humans, they generally try to take their prey alive so that they can suck its blood afterward, but Flandre has always been fed with cooked dishes, so she doesn't know how to properly attack a human. Whenever she tries to attack a human, she fusses too much and blows them away without leaving a spot of blood.
  • Perhaps she can't tell that her daily meals are made from living humans. Her meals look like such harmless foodstuffs as cake and tea, after all...

U.N. Owen Was Her? (U.N.オーエンは彼女なのか?)
U.N. Owen was her? (U.N.オーエンは彼女なのか?, romanized U.N. Ōen wa kanojo na no ka?) is the music for the extra stage boss (Flandre Scarlet) in Embodiment of Scarlet Devil.
ZUN's Note
フランドール・スカーレットのテーマです。
今回のもっともお気に入りです。いかにして悪魔っ娘を東洋風に
かつ、ミステリアスに表現できるかに挑戦した結果です。
ロリっぽいこのメロディは、今作品でもっとも私らしいメロディ
で、鍵盤弾くのが楽しかったです。

Flandre Scarlet's theme.
I liked this one the best out of the whole game. It
depicts a devilish girl in an Oriental and mysterious way.
Loli-tastic melodies like this are what I'm best at, so I
had a lot of fun composing this
U.N. Owen Was Her? became incredibly popular due to a MAD circulating on the internet from NicoNico Douga, featuring Ronald McDonald doing things in tune to Flandre's theme. You can find that video here. Afterwards, it led to several remixes and MADs following the same habit, anywhere from Yu-Gi-Oh! videos to Miname-ke and Toradora.

Background story aside, I made this topic so we could share remixes and MADs of this great song. I'm looking forward to what you all manage to dig up.

CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 16:43   Link #2
KaNa-Kun
写真いいですか。

Flandre's Theme is really fun and exciting to listen to. There are also some remarkably remixes by the many circles like ALICE'S EMOTION, COOL 'N' CREATE, dBu, SOUND HOLIC...
Though it may not be as popular as Flandre's Theme, I love Kanako's Theme (The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field) and Tsukasa, from Sound Online, did a good job with the arrangement as well the vocal assistance of Aki Misawa ('Fallen Heaven' from the album Trois Bleu)

Now for the topic, here a MAD featuring Clannad

And here the track, which was used in the video above (Remix by IOSYS)

KaNa-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 16:45   Link #3
Avisch
Reality Blender

Most recent one I've listened to is the one for Index (Nico link)

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 16:51   Link #4
Clarste
Human

In case anyone didn't know, the title is a reference to the Agatha Christie story "And Then There Were None" in which U.N. Owen was the pseudonym of the mysterious person who gathered all the characters in the story and killed them one by one. It's supposed to sound like the word "unknown."
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 00:34   Link #5
CC
♥ 無情この世はすべて
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaNa-Kun View Post
Flandre's Theme is really fun and exciting to listen to. There are also some remarkably remixes by the many circles like ALICE'S EMOTION, COOL 'N' CREATE, dBu, SOUND HOLIC...
Though it may not be as popular as Flandre's Theme, I love Kanako's Theme (The Venerable Ancient Battlefield ~ Suwa Foughten Field) and Tsukasa, from Sound Online, did a good job with the arrangement as well the vocal assistance of Aki Misawa ('Fallen Heaven' from the album Trois Bleu)

Now for the topic, here a MAD featuring Clannad

I don't really like that CLANNAD one, the voices weren't edited the way they normally are. :<

Kanako's theme is great as well, but I'd have to say I prefer Flandre's theme, personally. Maybe because I like Flandre a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
Most recent one I've listened to is the one for Index (Nico link)
I actually really liked that one even though I haven't watched Index yet. Thanks~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisana View Post
This is probably my favorite vocal remix of U.N. Owen...

Circle: EastNewSound
Vocal: Haduki Nano (nayuta)

Admittedly, U.N.Owen was what got me interested in Touhou. :x
Wow. That's nayuta? I love her but I've never heard this. It sounds amazingly professional. Increasing your rep for that~
It isn't surprising that this theme got you into Touhou, considering that's what did it for a lot of people, actually.

Old 2009-04-14, 01:14   Link #6
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Best rendition of U.N. Owen I've ever heard...

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 02:37   Link #7
herbert

Even though the focus is not on Flan, this one is still a remix of U.N. Owen (combined with Septette for the Dead Princess), and perhaps the most well-known in-Touhou (ie. excluding McRoll) remix of the composition(s).

Title: Touhou Sweets! ~The Brutal Sisters and Suffering Maid~ (東方スイーツ! ~鬼畜姉妹と受難メイド~ )
Vocal: Itsuki Shion (Sakuya) Komiya Mao(Remilia) Koko (Flandre) [no idea who voices Rumia]
Circle: Innocent Key

Last edited by herbert; 2009-04-14 at 02:49.
herbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 08:14   Link #8
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Quote:

>>whitepearl: Yellow Zebra \o/~ Fujimiya Yuki has a nice voice~
She really does have an amazing voice...I will admit proudly that my acute obsession with Touhou stuff started with this song

Twitter
Old 2009-04-14, 12:51   Link #9
KaNa-Kun
写真いいですか。

Another rendition of Flandre's Theme, 'taboo tears you up' by REDALICE from HARDCORE TANO*C, they do have some great stuff. He also runs the circle ALICE'S EMOTION

SWF Ver.

The track is included in the album 東方萃翠酒酔 (Touhou Suisui Suusuu) by IOSYS.

Here, the artist 'kouks' (Website) was responsible for the Flash Animation. He also did the Flash for the track Power of dream. The track is included in the album 東方河想狗蒼池 (Touhou Kasokusochi), as well by IOSYS.

REDALiCE included a remixed version of 'taboo tears you up', titled 'taboo tears you up 2008' in another album - SCARLET EYES -スカーレットアイズ-

Last edited by KaNa-Kun; 2009-04-14 at 14:41.
KaNa-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 16:01   Link #10
CC
♥ 無情この世はすべて
*Fansubber

東方スイーツ! ~鬼畜姉妹と受難メイド~

@ whitepearl; That version definitely has great vocals, but it's a bit too upbeat/happy to be my favourite. I prefer the darker renditions.

@ Hisana; Oh, yeah. I don't like those two other nayuta mixes very much, but the first Sayuri one is great. She's another vocalist I hear on Nico a lot and I find that she does a good job.

@ KaNa-Kun; REDALiCE mixes are always awesome. IOSYS is actually what got me so interested in Touhou. I think a lot of people were dragged in by the awesome music.

Since herbert posted the track for Touhou Sweets, I figured I'd share the flash video for it. Try not to post this on other websites as it's hosted from my blog, thanks~

Touhou Sweets! ~The Cruel Sisters and the Suffering Maid~ | Lyrics // Information

Old 2009-04-18, 19:18   Link #11
herbert

I kinda wondering. Do you guys think it's a good idea to use this or create another thread for Touhou music in general? People started to post touhou MAD's in image thread, maybe it's more fitting to have them posting in Music sub-forum.
Old 2009-04-19, 02:29   Link #12
CC
♥ 無情この世はすべて
*Fansubber

herbert, I was actually thinking the exact same thing. I could start one if no one minds... I'll post the link here afterwards.

Old 2009-04-19, 23:02   Link #13
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Hisana, that Eurobeat remix was pretty hot...just wish the vocals were sung by someone who spoke English as a first language.

Not to take anything away from her singing talents but some of the lyrics were hard to understand, even with karaoke...

That "mainstream" version was also nice.

Twitter
Old 2009-04-20, 00:04   Link #14
USB500
*facepalm.jpg*
*Author

Send a message via MSN to USB500 Send a message via Yahoo to USB500
Quote:
This is probably my favorite vocal remix of U.N. Owen...

Circle: EastNewSound
Vocal: Haduki Nano (nayuta)

Admittedly, U.N.Owen was what got me interested in Touhou. :x
I fell in love with this song. It gives me the feeling of "Flandre wanting to be cute, seductive and sexy". And I agree with you: Flan's theme was the reason I got addicted to Touhou.

@ Hisana: many thank you for the lyrics

Also, kudos to SOUND HOLIC for this excellent jazz arrange.
USB500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 17:59   Link #15
CC
♥ 無情この世はすべて
*Fansubber

New Topic -> Touhou (東方) Themes // Remixes

Feel free to repost the videos you posted here in the new thread, I think it should be alright. I think a mod can close this thread now that we have a new one...

Old 2010-03-30, 10:39   Link #16
Tabura

Flandre FTW! I still love the original song most though...
Old 2010-03-31, 00:08   Link #17
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
EastNewSound has without a doubt the very best remix of all. I love the 1st anniversary remix too ^-^

Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 06:22   Link #18
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Just saying that
  • There is a new thread for Touhou remixes
  • It's on page 1
  • It's mentioned in post 15
  • The last post is 11 months old
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
touhou