AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2017-03-29, 20:48   Link #161
zero7090

Hi, i am new to anime. What order of gits should i watch before the movie?
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-29, 20:58   Link #162
zztop

The general consensus with mainstream reviews is that it's very beautiful and slickly produced, with praise for Johanssen's role.
But most of them also compare it with the anime movie - they say the 2017 version lacks the inner spark of the original (no doubt due to streamlining for a mainstream audience).
So overall, not bad, but not super either.

The question is if it can recoup its budget and make a super profit like Beauty and the Beast via audience sales - after all some movies like Transformers have always performed financially well despite bad reviews.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-29, 23:05   Link #163
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
Hi, i am new to anime. What order of gits should i watch before the movie?
The live-action movie is its own thing, so you don't really have to watch GITS anime before. But it is recommended that most people watch the original Ghost in the Shell anime movie (1995) before checking out ScarJo in her tight suit .

And if you want to dive & appreciate GITS anime more, I recommend watching the anime in the following order:
  1. Ghost in the Shell (1995 movie)
  2. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004 sequel)
  3. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  4. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd GIG
  5. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society
  6. Ghost in the Shell: Arise (5-episode OVAs)
  7. Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie / Rising (2015 movie)
Old 2017-03-30, 02:11   Link #164
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Damn... looks like the fanboy rage that caused Ghostbusters to crash and burn didn't show up for this one
Completely different situations.

For Ghostbusters, Sony and the director seemed dead set on using the movie to push a political agenda (at least in marketing), and spent a lot of effort in demonizing any fans that had any problems with the trailers and promotional material as "misogynists", to the point of deleting complaints on their YouTube videos that weren't misogynistic, in order to make those left seem like the majority. And that's not even taking into account the media collusion to further that narrative, much as happened with Gamergate.

Any issues with Ghost in the Shell (and there seem to be fewer than most expected) seem pretty easily chalked up to typical Hollywood dumbfuckery. In short, they're much more easily explained by Hanlon's Razor than Ghostbusters' were. There's no apparent malice toward those with complaints. That and—regarding the most common complaint about the movie—a fair percentage of the fandom were never really hung up on the Major's apparent race, given that she's completely externally artificial.
Old 2017-03-30, 06:21   Link #165
larethian

This was brilliantly made. Maybe because I went in with low expectations.
The story was able to stand on its own and the
Spoiler for read this if you have gripes about MC's name:

The only part that sort of broke my immersion was
Spoiler:
But I can overlook that.
Can see future continuations being made if this one sells well.

Last edited by larethian; 2017-03-30 at 08:22. Reason: more spoiler tag
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-30, 15:16   Link #166
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
The live-action movie is its own thing, so you don't really have to watch GITS anime before. But it is recommended that most people watch the original Ghost in the Shell anime movie (1995) before checking out ScarJo in her tight suit .

And if you want to dive & appreciate GITS anime more, I recommend watching the anime in the following order:
  1. Ghost in the Shell (1995 movie)
  2. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (2004 sequel)
  3. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
  4. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd GIG
  5. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society
  6. Ghost in the Shell: Arise (5-episode OVAs)
  7. Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie / Rising (2015 movie)
I have a slightly different opinion there. I actually think that watching this movie first might not be that bad. Reviews seem to point to this movie as a rather simpler afair than the japanese works so it might work decently as a gateway drug.

I'd also add that Innocence can easily be watched after the Stand Alone Complex shows since that's far heavier on physiology and not quite as easy to digest to the average viewer.

But that's just my opinion. Yours is also a good way to tackle the franchise.

PS: many of the entries are also on sale on Steam in case anyone's looking for a way to legaly watch them. I think they're also available in Crunchyroll but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 2017-03-30, 15:29   Link #167
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

I think it's important to note that the movies (the original, Innocence) aren't quite in the same continuity as the TV series (SAC). Same for the new live-action obviously.

Pretty sure Arise and Rising are their own separate continuity as well, but I haven't seen those.
Old 2017-03-30, 20:03   Link #168
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I think it's important to note that the movies (the original, Innocence) aren't quite in the same continuity as the TV series (SAC). Same for the new live-action obviously.
Yep. That’s why I listed three different continuities back to back to not make it confusing for newcomers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Pretty sure Arise and Rising are their own separate continuity as well, but I haven't seen those.
Yep, Arise & its continuation, Rising, follow their own timeline even though one can consider it as kinda prequel-ish to SAC where we see the members of the would-be Section 9 meet and get to know each other before they become "official".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I have a slightly different opinion there.....
That's fine too. Although I've seen many people being grateful that they have watched the 1995 anime-movie first before the LA.
Old 2017-03-31, 10:10   Link #169
zero7090

So i only watched the original and Innocence movie before see the live action.

For some reason, i feel the LA is strangely bland. For example the revelation about virtual memory, i just don't feel anything in the LA while the original film is quite creepy.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-01, 20:46   Link #170
Freeter
beyond

Just saw it. Holy shit, Hollywood. You really outdid yourselves in the worst way possible.

Spoiler for ending:
Old 2017-04-01, 21:26   Link #171
Tenzen12

I for change liked it a lot. Putting aside some very stiff acting in beginning it had solid atmosphere and story. It is not anime that's for sure, it's Hollywood movie and one of better.
Old 2017-04-02, 11:03   Link #172
zztop

I saw the movie yesterday.
Its atmosphere is a little cold and distant, but I loved the action, special effects and costumes. Especially the design for the robo geisha (played by Fukushima Rila to boot!).
I can see why Mamoru Oshii praised it - it has the visual quality and production that Japanese directors want to emulate, but lack the budget, skills and manpower to actually accomplish.

As someone who's only seen a bit of one of the TV series of GiTS, are Dr Ouelet, CEO Cutter and the Major's human origins movie original? Or are they adapted from the source animes?
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 11:53   Link #173
Golden Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Just saw it. Holy shit, Hollywood. You really outdid yourselves in the worst way possible.

Spoiler for ending:
That's your biggest complaint?

Damn Hollywood, you've really screwed up!
Golden Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-02, 12:01   Link #174
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Lily View Post
That's your biggest complaint?

Damn Hollywood, you've really screwed up!
It is certainly a valid and extremely crazy mistake. It just shows a lack of attention to detail, which is characteristic of Western adaptations of Asian works. It isn't something to brush off because it is proof no one is paying attention, especially the director.
Old 2017-04-02, 12:09   Link #175
Golden Lily

I never said I find it acceptable. But if the main complaint after the movie is nitpicking then it's a bit crazy.

This film had far bigger problems.
Old 2017-04-02, 12:41   Link #176
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Lily View Post
I never said I find it acceptable. But if the main complaint after the movie is nitpicking then it's a bit crazy.

This film had far bigger problems.
I don't see how it is considered nitpicking that the director has no idea what a tombstone looks like and yet used it as a major prop.
Old 2017-04-02, 12:59   Link #177
Golden Lily

Oww yeah, because cosmetic changes are more important than plot, characters and visuals.

The best movies had mistakes, but we don't judge them by two seconds of running time.
Old 2017-04-02, 20:59   Link #178
Freeter
beyond

Two seconds was all it took to prove how clueless these filmmakers were in regards to showing any respect for Asian culture.

The plot literally involves whitewashing. It didn't need to. It served no purpose other than to make a desperate attempt to pander to the original fanbase and could have been left out entirely (hell, the Kuze subplot in the first half was all they needed to do, Laughing Man was practically a free template).

The only thing I can commend the movie for is its cinematography, which was mind-blowing. If only it wasn't attached to such a garbage screenplay, I would have easily been down for another viewing.
Old 2017-04-02, 21:43   Link #179
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

There is justice in this world after all: This film has fallen BEHIND Boss Baby AND Beauty and The Beast at the box office!

http://www.cbr.com/ghost-in-the-shel...B-P&view=lista
Old 2017-04-02, 22:27   Link #180
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Two seconds was all it took to prove how clueless these filmmakers were in regards to showing any respect for Asian culture.

The plot literally involves whitewashing. It didn't need to. It served no purpose other than to make a desperate attempt to pander to the original fanbase and could have been left out entirely (hell, the Kuze subplot in the first half was all they needed to do, Laughing Man was practically a free template).

The only thing I can commend the movie for is its cinematography, which was mind-blowing. If only it wasn't attached to such a garbage screenplay, I would have easily been down for another viewing.
You say desperate pandering , I said e respectful tribute. Who can judge?