Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2004-08-04, 17:02   Link #1
Virus
ウイルス

Send a message via AIM to Virus
OpenCanvas Vs Photoshop

What are some advantages that OpenCanvas has over Photoshop? Or does it just depend on the user?
Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 17:29   Link #2
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

What are some advantages that apples have over oranges?

What are some advantages that paints have over markers?

What are some advantages that 2D work has over 3D work?

What are some advantages that Japanese style has over European?

Completely unreleated for the most part. Photoshop is a photo manipulation tool that has become quite good at digital colouring. It does what it does very well, better, in fact, than it's competitors such as The GIMP and Paint Shop Pro.

Open Canvas is not one of those competitors, though. OC was designed to make traditional looking illustrations, digitally. In this way, Painter is it's competitor, not Photoshop.

However, if you want to make traditional looking artwork digitally, OC and Painter tend to be the best way to go. It can be done with Photoshop, but you have to know tricks and techniques to pull it off.
Old 2004-08-04, 17:42   Link #3
Stofzuiger
Bubblewrap!!!

In my case... I like photoshop better then OC when I already have an inked sketch. But I find OC better when beginning from scratch

Depents on how ur inking skills are (I have none )
Stofzuiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 17:48   Link #4
Raxial
CG / Color

Send a message via AIM to Raxial
I've seen artwork come out equally incredible from both programs. One thing that is REAAAAAALY cool with OC is the event thing where you can download even logs and actually watch everything the artist does. The portalgraphics website has a lot of em by good artists.

I currently use Photoshop, but after watching several amazing movies from OC artists, i might be switching. One advantage of OC is that it's far cheaper. A downside is that it lacks many of the cool effects and stuff that Photoshop has.

The thing with Photoshop is that for coloring and stuff, you generally select what you're gonna fill in (like hair or clothes or whatever, which can take some time and be quite tedious) and then fill it in very cleanly with no "over-the-line" stuff. Generally in OC you just paint over everything you need filled in and then keep painting, doing your shading and stuff, and then erase what you don't need or stuff that overlaps.

The style of painting in OC is also much more like painting instead of the standard Photoshop brushes which are much more rigid. OC is very lose and feels natural in a way.

You really have to try it out, so that's why I'm gonna try OC for a few pieces and see if I can get the hang of it.

PS: Off the portalgraphics website, I got to watch these two be done, inch by inch (not live of course) from start to finish, and picked up quite a few things

http://www.portalgraphics.net/oc/en/...tion/kouza.jpg
http://www.portalgraphics.net/oc/en/...tion/kouza.jpg
Raxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 18:12   Link #5
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Awww, and here I thought someone made an open source painting program called openCanvas ^^;

And it doesn't seem that they are targetting the Mac, and thus a huge number of graphic artists.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 19:35   Link #6
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stofzuiger
In my case... I like photoshop better then OC when I already have an inked sketch. But I find OC better when beginning from scratch

Depents on how ur inking skills are (I have none )

I work exclusively in Photoshop and none of my work is inked.
Old 2004-08-04, 19:49   Link #7
fantD
³²¹¿Ğeath[§]

Send a message via AIM to fantD
Photoshop has more features, brushes, custom stuff etc... hence the need to learn specific techniques or make them yourself. OC is meant to emulate real mediums like watercolar, pens, etc so its pretty traditional. Probably the best feature of OC is the event file which lets users watch how other artists create their works. Personally, I prefer photoshop but only because I don't have a tablet. Otherwise, OC would be my pick.
fantD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-04, 22:09   Link #8
Asura
should i stay longer?

Send a message via MSN to Asura
both are good at their niches.

me? I primarily used Photoshop... some of my stuff are inked, some pencil sketch.. like it matters... it's all depend on my mood. though lately I prefer to work in black and white (mainly because I like sketching so much).. and if I got bored on the PC... I usually start sketching/painting in photoshop with the mouse..
Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 01:49   Link #9
Stofzuiger
Bubblewrap!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
I work exclusively in Photoshop and none of my work is inked.
When I do that in photoshop, It takes me way to long, in comparison with OC. Ofcourse that is personal preference
Stofzuiger is offline   Reply With Quote