AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-28, 06:47   Link #1
Qwey

romance manga with no love triangle

hi all,

i'm looking for romance mangas that aren't heavily based around a love triangle, instead its about overcoming something together. The only one I can think of that sort of fits this description that I've read is W-Juliet. The couple definitely loves each other early on and its about them accomplishing their goals/dreams, there isn't all that other BS.

Does anyone know of anything with that sort of concept? The longer the better.
Old 2009-09-28, 07:16   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Ah My Goddess?
Old 2009-09-28, 08:13   Link #3
AnimeFangirl

But it's the rivalry that makes the whole thing fun! The only thing that came to mind when I read this is "Living Game" and I found that pretty boring.

Also try Victorian Romance Emma - the manga, not the anime. There's a second girl in the picture but it's not a love triangle by any means.
Old 2009-09-28, 10:05   Link #4
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

How about Kare Kano? Shoujo romance manga at its very best. Being as long as it is (21 volumes), there are obviously complicated relationships and love triangles and all of them twists, but you never lose sight of the fact that it's Yukino and Soichiro's story and nothing can change that.

Likewise, it's pretty obvious for which two people the happy ending's going to be for in Special A, though some parts of the story involve some love triangles.

Or if you're fine with old school, Rumiko Takahashi's two legendary manga, Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku, have love triangles, but never really focus on them. They're mostly played for laughs while you pretty much know after a while which is the main couple.

It's very hard to find longer romance manga where a love triangle doesn't play a role whatsoever, but the three above are definitely not the hated "one idiot, two idiots; s/he flip-flops, then finally settles with one, the end" type like Suzuka or whatever.
Old 2009-09-28, 10:24   Link #5
fatalblue
Dancin' and Dreamin'

Junai Tokkou Taichou!
Very funny manga, I think it's the closest to what your looking for.

Hadashi de bara wo fume
Pretty drama filled but the couple is married (rather they get married early on)

Bitter Virgin
If you don't mind a manga that deals w/ a hard topic then this should be something close what you want

--------------------------------------
Ai Yori Aoshi (Anime)
Clannad (Anime)

I know you asked for manga but I found both these anime really great. Both have a harem-ish type set up (multiple girls liking the same guy and whatnot) but their are no love triangles (In Ai Yori Aoshi's case the couple are already engaged)

If you haven't seen these shows yet you should check 'em out.

----------------------------

I second the person above on Kare Kano!
Old 2009-09-28, 13:09   Link #6
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Pastel definitely fits your bill. There is no competition between characters (yet, its still publishing). And it isn't only about romance, its about life too.
Old 2009-09-28, 13:10   Link #7
jedinat

I also dislike love triangles.

Dear Mine - overcoming the age gap
Mars - overcoming a ton of psychological problems and antagonistic people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Or if you're fine with old school, Rumiko Takahashi's two legendary manga, Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku, have love triangles, but never really focus on them. They're mostly played for laughs while you pretty much know after a while which is the main couple.
I seem to remember being quite annoyed by the triangle with the tennis coach... since the girl seemed to allow herself to be pulled into compromising situations with him... I remember her practically ready to be taken in his car one time... but then it has been quite some time is I saw the anime, so I might be remembering wrong.
Old 2009-09-28, 13:30   Link #8
Qwey

Thanks for all the replies so far--the only one I've read as manga is Mars, and its another example of what I'm looking for. I guess love triangles aren't terrible as long as they end/the relationships solidify quick enough that it doesnt get annoying. love triangles usually lead to a ridiculous level of angst.

I've watched Ah! My goddess as an anime, is the manga different enough to rread?

I've also seen the first 3 episodes of special A but I hear the main girl is super dense and doesnt realize whats going on until the last two episodes or something. Is the manga any different from that?
Old 2009-09-29, 04:20   Link #9
Kleo Scanti
Urd Fangirl

Quote:
I've watched Ah! My goddess as an anime, is the manga different enough to rread?
There are a lot of stories which were not animated, and, in my opinion, the manga is much better than the anime. Just don't be put off by the art style of the first volumes, it will improve significantly.
Old 2009-09-29, 10:47   Link #10
Qwey

Oh yeah, rereading the replies, I suppose my question was more of:

I don't want love triangles that are like ""one idiot, two idiots; s/he flip-flops, then finally settles with one, the end" as someone aptly put. I didn't even really mind Suzuka to a huge degree because it always seemed clear to me that it was Suzuka he liked the best and then when their relationship solidified the story went on from there.
Old 2009-09-29, 10:56   Link #11
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Try out Pastel man, you won't be sorry.
Old 2009-09-29, 16:23   Link #12
goodman528

Liar game

Although, that's not really a romance story, but more an education in game theory. I just find the main female character very cute... ... and consequently really likes the male lead for helping her out in tough situations.
Old 2009-09-29, 20:32   Link #13
Charuru

Liar game's not a romance at all... I second Kare Kano.
Old 2009-09-29, 23:20   Link #14
andromeda0201

Try
Beast Master - I wouldn't call this purely romance, but its sweet in its own way

Dengeki Daisy - same author, very nice and touching story, too bad its not finished

KouKou Debut - theres a bit of a triangle thrown in somewhere in between, but it ends really fast and the series focuses mainly on the couple

Tokyo Crazy Paradise - I'd classify this more as an action romance

Kimi ni Todoke - ongoing, also focuses on the main couple, however it does get a bit draggy with angst (and not from a love triangle)
Old 2009-09-30, 00:51   Link #15
Theowne
耳をすませば

Kare Kano is good.

I also suggest Whisper of the Heart.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-09-30, 02:11   Link #16
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Kare Kano is good as well as Kyou, Koi wo Hajimemasu.