AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2012-02-02, 11:53   Link #201
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Aokiji look strange at first but when you look closely it seem he been "kick out" by some one because he do lazy stuff like drinking and bathing in sun shine

random theory guess

small question do we have chibi brook?

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 11:54   Link #202
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Akainu's cap says 'Justice', he probably picked it up from somewhere. It could be his father's or some other marine, but he probably earned it through a tough childhood.

He probably lived in a place where criminals ran amok and only the strongest survive seeing how torn his clothes are and that he needs to hold a knife. A marine who may even be his own parents probably tried to save him once but died, that's when he picked up his hat and was really determined to become a marine, destroy all crime and uphold justice.

Something really extreme must have happened when he was young to make him a person he is now.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 15:40   Link #203
marvelB

BTW, it also looks like what Sengoku wrote on that paper was..... Sengoku (in kanji form, that is).

But yeah, those pictures definitely suggest that the veteran marines had tough lives growing up. Aokiji in particular looks like he was a drunk hobo as a kid! Maybe we'll see various other marines like Smoker, Hina, Tashigi, Tsuru, the buster call VAs, etc. as kids as well, eventually.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-02, 15:51   Link #204
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Once all of the Yonkou are revealed, we're bound to get childhood pictures of them as well. Just imagine seeing Big Mom as a kid .

If anything, it seems like Akainu had the roughest childhood. The fact that he's holding a knife and looks beaten and battered suggests that he had to defend himself on multiple occasions. As mentioned already, perhaps something tragic happened in Akainu's life that made him into the callous, ruthless, and determined individual that he is today.

Hopefully Oda will also reveal the ages and heights of the prominent marines (i.e. Garp, Sengoku, admirals, etc.) like he did for the shichibukai.
Old 2012-02-02, 16:19   Link #205
marvelB

^I would have mentioned the emperors myself, but we still haven't seen Kaidou yet, so....

Anyways, time for me to take a shot at guessing a marine's past: I think that Garp considered becoming a great pirate himself during his early years. I actually wouldn't find it too surprising, since one of the Romance Dawn one-shots DID show Garp as a former pirate (so Oda might not have completely abandoned that idea). However, I guess he grew out of his rebellious phase eventually and decided to become marine instead..... or something. At least that would also explain why he put Luffy and Ace through all that hellish training when they were kids.....
Old 2012-02-02, 16:48   Link #206
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

i am guessing he like luffy. he want an adventure. but instead having exploring the world which luffy do, he prefer to find a good fight with powerful foe .

Old 2012-02-02, 17:09   Link #207
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
BTW, it also looks like what Sengoku wrote on that paper was..... Sengoku (in kanji form, that is).

But yeah, those pictures definitely suggest that the veteran marines had tough lives growing up. Aokiji in particular looks like he was a drunk hobo as a kid! Maybe we'll see various other marines like Smoker, Hina, Tashigi, Tsuru, the buster call VAs, etc. as kids as well, eventually.....
Yep, I can confirm that, and he got a gold award (the little ribbon on the left hand side) for it in some sort of calligraphy competition.
Old 2012-02-03, 07:41   Link #208
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Wow, awesome stuff! Aokiji does look a lot like Usopp with a normal nose. Pretty weird.

Kid Akainu looks badass. It definitely looks like he had it rough as a kid.

Garp was pretty much Luffy. I'm even more curious to see what Dragon was like as a kid now, he's always so damn serious I can't imagine him being like his father and son.
Old 2012-02-03, 11:32   Link #209
marvelB

And now the rest of the SBS info is here! Credit goes to Greg from APforums for translating the questions:

-Apparently, a fan sent Oda 3 postcards that had the word "underwear" written on all of them for a total of 3,787 times (which he seems to refer to as the "curse of the underwear")....

-Looks like the contents of Camie's backpack are dreams, soy sauce and butter.

-It's confirmed that Hyouzou was the no. 1 fish-swordsman that Hachi could never beat during their training days in the dojo.

-Oda confirms the designs of the individual jolly rogers of the post-skip crew were approved by him, since he didn't like the ones the marketing teams came up with. Here's a pic of the flags:

Spoiler:

-Here, Oda answers something that he already answered a long time ago: The reason why he gave Luffy rubber powers. He basically says that he feels he couldn't stick with the story if the main character were a straight-up badass from the get-go. Therefore, he can still have Luffy do his goofy stretching/inflating acts even when the story gets serious.

-We get the name of Camie's mermaid friends from the cafe!

Spoiler:

-Now here's another interesting one. However, I'll just quote Greg again since he can explain it a lot better than I can:

Quote:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS INTERESTING AND FINALLY REVEALS PRECISELY WHY ODA DOESN'T HAVE LUFFY SAY 俺 or 'ore' in kanji, only hiragana!!!!!!

A fan asks why Oda always wrote 'taiyou' or 'sun' in katakana when the Fish People (Mermaids, Mermen and Fish Men & Women) were talking about it. He says he didn't do it intentionally but it just came naturally. He explains that to write a lot of kanji in the lines of a fairly dim character (ie Luffy!) would be out of place and conflict with their persona. Whereas in this case, they don't really understand what the 'sun' is so they express it in a written expression that (in Japanese) is largely reserved for 'foreign' objects, people, places etc. I actually got that impression myself when reading but this finally makes his stance clear on Luffy and is indeed intended to augment his child-like nature.

YOWZA!

-Apparently Oda has a thing for giving background characters T-shirts that reflect current situations (as seen with various mer-people throughout the previous arc). He also seems to indicate that older fish-people had many fins (though Greg is unsure about this info and will post more about that later).

-Someone asks which character Oda would consider to be a rival. The fan suggests Franky, but Oda picks Nami due to them having similar bust and waist measurements.

-Shirahoshi's birthday is April 4th.

-Last question is an interesting one: Someone asks how many people Shanks could knock out with CoC haki since Luffy could KO 50 thousand. Oda responds that Shanks probably could have knocked out all 100 thousand of the pirates at that conflict, but also notes that numbers aren't really important.....

-BTW, some art from the SJ chapters were fixed in the volume, as well. Here's a comparison of Zoro's close-up during his fight with Hyouzou (SJ pic on left, volume pic on the right, look at his left eye):

Spoiler:

And Madam Shirley from Hody's flashback (SJ top, volume bottom, now she looks the same age as Hody):

Spoiler:

Hmm, pretty interesting (and funny) info, even if some of it was stuff we knew about already. Well, the upcoming Blue Deep should contain some juicy trivia when that's released next month, as well....

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-02-03 at 13:14.
Old 2012-02-03, 13:02   Link #210
Undertaker

Well, I'm too surprise that Oda would choose Nami, The rumor out there is that Nami is based on his wife, a former pin-up model...

The Haki question is interesting. Considering that Oda mentioned that CoC if the only one that can't be trained to get stronger. Does that mean that Shank have greater CoC, or that Luffy just haven't been able to control his at 100%?

BTW, MarvelB, the first picture about the Jolly Rogers, isn't showing up.
Old 2012-02-03, 13:06   Link #211
Rainbowman

Quote:
-Oda confirms the designs of the individual jolly rogers of the post-skip crew were approved by him, since he didn't like the ones the marketing teams came up with. Here's a pic of the flags:

Spoiler:
I bet the marketing teams were nostalgic with their designs compared to Oda's true ideas.

Quote:
-We get the name of Camie's mermaid friends from the cafe!

Spoiler:
Quite interesting. Now if there could be some doujinshis about them.

Quote:
-Someone asks which character Oda would consider to be a rival. The fan suggests Franky, but Oda picks Nami due to them having similar bust and waist measurements.
Awkward. If Nami were to be my rival, it would be due to controlling natural elements.

Quote:
That's the same as Brook's birthday, isn't it? That would make her an Aries.

Quote:
-Last question is an interesting one: Someone asks how many people Shanks could knock out with CoC haki since Luffy could KO 50 thousand. Oda responds that Shanks probably could have knocked out all 100 thousand of the pirates at that conflict, but also notes that numbers aren't really important.....
Though it would be quite a sight in the upcoming game next month.

Last edited by Rainbowman; 2012-02-03 at 13:53.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-03, 13:08   Link #212
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
BTW, MarvelB, the first picture about the Jolly Rogers, isn't showing up.

No? Hang on then, I'll re-host the pic. Just gimme a minute....

Edit: OK, done! Personally, I like Usopp's Robin's, and Franky's best. BTW, I see that the chibi-admirals already have their fair share of fanart....

Oh, and considering the haki question, my take is that numbers aren't important because it depends on the strength of the opponent's "fortitude" (haki), as well. Kinda like how Kidd and Law's crews withstood Rayleigh's haki blast at the auction house.

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-02-03 at 13:24.
Old 2012-02-03, 15:47   Link #213
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:

Spoiler:
i like it. bit more original than standard crossbone and skull

Quote:
-Here, Oda answers something that he already answered a long time ago: The reason why he gave Luffy rubber powers. He basically says that he feels he couldn't stick with the story if the main character were a straight-up badass from the get-go. Therefore, he can still have Luffy do his goofy stretching/inflating acts even when the story gets serious.
which is why i like about one piece. the MC is not just person who have new stuff every minute

Quote:
are you sure this is not Oda wife that answering the question

Quote:
any reason why

Quote:
this kinda interesting. this probably hint that limit of CoC Haki is not how many people can be KO but something more trivial like how far Haki user can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Well, I'm too surprise that Oda would choose Nami, The rumor out there is that Nami is based on his wife, a former pin-up model...
i thought it opposite, Oda chose his wife because she cosplay as name

Last edited by RRW; 2012-02-03 at 16:24.
Old 2012-02-03, 16:10   Link #214
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post

i thought it opposite, Oda chose his wife because she cosplay as name
True, but like I said, it's just a rumor consider his wife was a model even before the Jump Festa cosplay, who knows, he might be her fan before.

But back to rivalry, any fully functioning male adult would love to be in a rivalry with Nami or Robin or Hancock. As they said, love and hate is only a step way...

Anyway, like the Jolly Rogers. Although I do find Sanji's to be a bit too bland and Nami a bit to complex for some reason...
Old 2012-02-03, 16:26   Link #215
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

robin one remind me to ace by some reason

Old 2012-02-05, 16:27   Link #216
Mon Cheri
nope
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
BTW, I see that the chibi-admirals already have their fair share of fanart.....
Please do share in the image thread

Kid Kizaru = <3
Mon Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-06, 12:12   Link #217
marvelB

So I mentioned before that Greg was going to further elaborate on the T-shirt question, which also has a bit of info concerning fish-people in general, as well. Well, here's his updated info:

Quote:
Someone asks why Oda is making t-shirts that describe the current scenario on background characters. For example, one character has a shirt that reads 'Sore ga iiyo' which fits with the current conversation in Japanese. He's essentially destroying the fourth wall. He says it's because he enjoys it and he's into it right now. He was also asked what kind of fish the young fish girl with four arms was. He says he didn't quite think out the type but that it was probably an 'ancient' fish (not to be confused with prehistoric) and that many of the ancient fish had multiple 'fins' so it goes without say that ancient fishpeople-types would have multiple limbs.

fyi. This carries over to Icaros seeing as giant squid are considered an ancient variety irl.

This is really interesting. So I wonder if we'll be seeing more of those "ancient-type" fish-people in the NW.....
Old 2012-02-06, 17:27   Link #218
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
robin one remind me to ace by some reason
Probably because the Whitebeard logo used to look like this~

Old 2012-02-06, 23:53   Link #219
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Probably because the Whitebeard logo used to look like this~

Or maybe it's because of the hat and goggles that Ace wears.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-16, 11:27   Link #220
marvelB

Well, now that we've got volume 65 covered, it's time to shift our focus on.....

Spoiler:

BLUE DEEP! The book comes out on March 2nd, but this scan here says that it will contain lots of character trivia (like birthdays and such), and will apparently have character power rankings (note that this has NOT been confirmed, though). And though the ad mentions "Romance Dawn" on there, it looks more like the book will contain chapter 0. Either way, I definitely can't wait for this (which will coincidentally be released around the same time as chapter 558)!