AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-04-30, 19:30   Link #1
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Why do you like Shounen-ai?

Well, I proposed a "shounen-ai" forum a while back and there seemed to be decent support, so I figured it would be perfectly okay for me to start up a shounen-ai thread.

The topic of this shounen-ai is to discuss shounen-ai and why we like it. So please explain what it is about boy love that makes you love it sooo much? (Please don't post in here just to flame, as that's just childish.)

There are several reasons why "I" like shounen-ai. The first and most obvious reason, is that I'm gay. I like to see guys with other guys. I also like the love aspect of shounen-ai. I like romance. So, I find shounen-ai *very* appealing.

Anyone else wanna share their story?
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 19:46   Link #2
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I like shounen ai because it allows me to breath a little in the homophobic society I live in. Besides I love the style women manga-ka use when drawing, although some of the stories I don't like (Sakura comes to mind), also Im facinated by the fact the women could like two men together, I could never though that would be possible, and of course I like the romance and the angst portrayed in these stories.

Im quoted in JAppi's sig!
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-30, 19:53   Link #3
babbito2k
annoying white bat

It's nice to have a chance to discuss this topic in a general way. I am not big on character worship, but I find shounen-ai to be interesting and often well-portrayed in anime.

I like the romantic aspects most of all. I have seen Kashou no Tsuki, Gravitation and Yami no Matsuei, as well as plenty of anime featuring minor male characters with an explicit (Aburatsubo in Mahou Tsukai Tai!) or implied (Marron Glace in Bakuretsu Hunters) same-sex orientation.

I enjoy seeing male characters portrayed as kind and gentle, attractive and elegant and whatnot. Not all characters in shounen-ai are this type of character but many are, and they are easier to find in shounen-ai than in other kinds of series.

For the most part shounen-ai romance is portrayed in these shows as tragic or somehow star-crossed, often due to unrequited love. Tragic love is a traditional theme in Japanese literature and drama and I like seeing this theme brought out in anime.

I also like the "love is blind" idea expressed in some shounen-ai stories. I am very impressed with some of Hagio Moto's works like "11nin iru!" and "X+Y" which deal with confusion about gender or sexual orientation.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 09:28   Link #4
Secca
nya`
*Artist

I just like the bishounens in shounen ai, specially long hair one. *dreamy*

And the one that never smile. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 09:49   Link #5
mirichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
I like the romantic aspects most of all. I have seen Kashou no Tsuki, Gravitation and Yami no Matsuei, (snip) For the most part shounen-ai romance is portrayed in these shows as tragic or somehow star-crossed, often due to unrequited love. Tragic love is a traditional theme in Japanese literature and drama and I like seeing this theme brought out in anime.
Having seen the ones you mentioned (except Kashou no Tsuki, unless it goes under a different moniker), I would strongly suggest you take a look at Mirage of Blaze... It's very good (too bad it's based on 40 novels that are not available in English because there is so much backstory we don't know otherwise). I watched it in 3 days and believe me, it was a nice ride (oh and it's short... 13 episodes... and it had GREAT voice acting by the two lead [Seki Toshihiko & Sho Hayami]). If you liked Yami no Matsuei, you'll love MofB too... and here, you can enjoy Sho's voice (so honey-sweet) without the creepiness factor of Muraki-sensei.
mirichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 09:55   Link #6
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirichan
Having seen the ones you mentioned (except Kashou no Tsuki, unless it goes under a different moniker), I would strongly suggest you take a look at Mirage of Blaze... It's very good (too bad it's based on 40 novels that are not available in English because there is so much backstory we don't know otherwise). I watched it in 3 days and believe me, it was a nice ride (oh and it's short... 13 episodes... and it had GREAT voice acting by the two lead [Seki Toshihiko & Sho Hayami]). If you liked Yami no Matsuei, you'll love MofB too... and here, you can enjoy Sho's voice (so honey-sweet) without the creepiness factor of Muraki-sensei.
Oh I seen Mirage of Blaze, It was quite emotional, I never seen anything like that before, very interesting to see. Their relationship is so complicated.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 09:57   Link #7
Suikun

Personally, I like shounen-ai mostly because it protrays a world (usually) where things like love between two people is kept as simple as it should be in life (namely, the US) without the many (needless and ridiculous) complications our culture and many other cultures inject into something that should be so simple - a boy who loves another boy. It's just really refreshing, to me, to know that this type of expression exists somewhere, and I really enjoy reading shounen-ai manga for those reasons.

Which is why it tickes me off when people bash shounen-ai, even if I'm not that into it like some people are. When people childishly bash stuff like this, it merely strengthens my reasoning for why this type of expression needs to exist, and why it's so great.
Suikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 10:12   Link #8
Access

It is very popular with young girls' (adolescent and pre-adolescent) because it features a variety of boys, often involved in sexual relationships, but in a non-threatening way. Whereas real or normal boys would be too threatening at that age. Shounen-ai is very popular in manga, there are whole magazines dedicated primarily to boy-boy love; it is nowhere near that common in anime. Anime generally goes for a wider appeal and boy-boy love tends to repel the male portion of the audience.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-01, 10:20   Link #9
Scrumhalf
Ed & Winry? :O

Send a message via MSN to Scrumhalf
While I don't mind the concept of Shounen-ai & their fans around; I do mind, however, that particular fans from both sides (Straight & Yaoi), tend to do the odd flame & bash each other's opinions or fandom work. This sort of behaviour simply can't be tolerated & frankly it would seem to weaken the reputation of either sides.

Another thing that worries me about shounen-ai is the fact that some shounen-ai fans out there just simply pick a series (usually a famous shounen one), identify two really sexy-looking blokes (usually a male protagonist and a 'Sasuke'), and then just pair them up like that while expressing their fantasies about them in rather unusual & unhealthy ways. Animes like Naruto, Wolf's Rain, & Initial D are prime examples of these. Also it seems to be growing on the current series of FMA as well - where there is absolutely no proof that Ed will end up with the Colonel. I do not know of the status of Hikaru no Go - judging by the fact that it has an extremly-huge yaoi fanbase for Hikaru x Akira - who knows; Hotta Yumi might be pressurized enough to turn it into a Yaoi series .

Scrum
Scrumhalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 15:08   Link #10
Akichan
Ichi wa zen, zen wa ichi

Send a message via AIM to Akichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Another thing that worries me about shounen-ai is the fact that some shounen-ai fans out there just simply pick a series (usually a famous shounen one), identify two really sexy-looking blokes (usually a male protagonist and a 'Sasuke'), and then just pair them up like that while expressing their fantasies about them in rather unusual & unhealthy ways. Animes like Naruto, Wolf's Rain, & Initial D are prime examples of these. Also it seems to be growing on the current series of FMA as well - where there is absolutely no proof that Ed will end up with the Colonel. I do not know of the status of Hikaru no Go - judging by the fact that it has an extremly-huge yaoi fanbase for Hikaru x Akira - who knows; Hotta Yumi might be pressurized enough to turn it into a Yaoi series .

Scrum
Such insight, I just HAD to reply. *rubs hands together*

Unusual and unhealthy ways? I don't know about that, however I can see the appeal of many pairings. Naruto as a series, the hints are a bit on the weaker side, it's not strong. FMA I agree there, I really DON'T see that pairing, although Roy and Ed together in the same room is just a hell of a lot of fun.

You brought up Hikaru no Go and here's some neat info for you since you werent' sure. It is by far one of the most non-shounen ai stories that has the MOST hints. For one thing, there's only three females and neither have a role of any importance. There's an interesting part (far off in SJ, but I'll share none the less) during the first summer after the big school vs. school tournament where Akira literally hears Hikaru is at an internet cafe and runs halfway through the city to confront him. Not to mention in episodes 1 and 2, Akira's running all over the place to find Hikaru. Lucky for us fangirls this chasing pattern continues all the way to episode 75 and beyond! (in the manga) The large a appeal is that Akira and Hikaru really don't have TIME to see anyone else, since they're busy playing games together and arguing and fighting...etc.

It was actually commented on by the seiyuu at some point (I can't remember where) that they thought that Akira and Hikaru were destined to end up together.

HOWEVER, Hotta and Obata's manga ended at chapter 180 (or was it 189?) I believe and instead of writing the third, promised arc, it was dropped, with a rather incomplete ending. Of course, no one knows what was going to happen in the third arc, but the sheer slashyness of the two boys who eat, sleep, play and breathe each other are rather clear. LOL Check it out and you'll see what I mean. Even some of the *cough* chapter begining images are a little...provocative. *points to book 10*

As for other character hints that appear in the series, such as Seiji Ogata who happens to like cornering little go boys and inviting them up to his room while drunk...*cough* there's a whole lot of slashyness going on.

Whatever was going to the happen in the future will or won't be seen, however by reading/watching Hikaru no Go, the fanbase is clear.

And yes, I am a rabid shounen-ai/yaoi fangirl and I promise not to bite too hard. Hikaru no Go is one of my favourite fandoms for many, many reasons. Naruto I can see the shounen ai pairings, but they're lost on me when it comes to FMA. Hawkeye x Roy for me...and Winry can just...die...LOL sorry, hate her. She's like...well never mind, that's off topic.

Why I love shounen ai? I don't know. It's cute, out of the ordinary, and different.

Akichan

-STILL trying on RIZON
Akichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 16:13   Link #11
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
While I don't mind the concept of Shounen-ai & their fans around; I do mind, however, that particular fans from both sides (Straight & Yaoi), tend to do the odd flame & bash each other's opinions or fandom work. This sort of behaviour simply can't be tolerated & frankly it would seem to weaken the reputation of either sides.
That's just bad behavior, and not peculiar to the two "sides" mentioned or the "issue" of shounen-ai. It's also easily handled within the forum rules.

Quote:
Another thing that worries me about shounen-ai is the fact that some shounen-ai fans out there just simply pick a series (usually a famous shounen one), identify two really sexy-looking blokes (usually a male protagonist and a 'Sasuke'), and then just pair them up like that while expressing their fantasies about them in rather unusual & unhealthy ways.
That's just a form of character worship; I don't find character worship peculiar to any particular sexual orientation, or harmful either. I just try to ignore it, only because I don't take any interest; unfortunately it tends to clog up a broader discussion, as it may well do here. Speaking of which, why do you like shounen-ai?

I have fansubs of a couple of episodes of Mirage of Blaze but I never did get to see the whole thing. Thanks for the tip, mirichan.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-05-03 at 02:22.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 17:35   Link #12
MikoKikyo

Why I like shounen-ai? Because out of the shounen-ai shows I've seen, the romance scenes were powerful and the story was mesmerizing. They really stir up your emotions, something which is quite rare nowadays. (No, it's not that I have fettish with seing guys together...)
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 17:56   Link #13
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

I only proposed to allow you a Shounen-ai thread so you'd stop whining about it. Theres not anough to discuss about. Exept why people like it.

I could be in it for this same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor
I like shounen ai because it allows me to breath a little in the homophobic society I live in. Besides I love the style women manga-ka use when drawing, although some of the stories I don't like (Sakura comes to mind), also Im facinated by the fact the women could like two men together, I could never though that would be possible, and of course I like the romance and the angst portrayed in these stories.
~___< Even then.. Mantidore has such an nice way to say it.
Old 2004-05-02, 18:01   Link #14
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

if they made a shounen-ai forum, they'd have to make a shoujo-ai forum to counter balance it -_-
yaoi obsessed fangirls drive me nuts...
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 18:34   Link #15
cindialai
Tsukimori

Send a message via MSN to cindialai
characters are usually more handsome and i guess shounen-ai anime is funny and unique.

i also want to add that why the heck is shoujo-ai not as popular as shounen-ai... guys doesn't like to see two girls in love?
Old 2004-05-02, 23:27   Link #16
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindialai
i also want to add that why the heck is shoujo-ai not as popular as shounen-ai... guys doesn't like to see two girls in love?
I think it's because the stereotypical male is looking for a cheap thrill. "Romance and love" just doesn't do it for them, so they search out something that has cheap simple action.

The shounen-ai fans on the other hand, are the types who like to watch stuff that makes them feel good. Which is why they like their Shounen-ai romance ^_^
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-02, 23:51   Link #17
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I like shonenai because it portrays a higher level of romance. It brings me into a deeper world of the passionate love between two human souls, one that surpasses the discrimination of the earthly embodiment. (Cough) I'm lying here. Actually, I like bishies. So one gorgeous guy is great, two are even better. And there's always something attractive about the forbidden and desperate love between two gorgeous guys.

Grifis
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 00:09   Link #18
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Quote:
characters are usually more handsome and i guess shounen-ai anime is funny and unique.

This is probably due to the stereotype that guys just see women as sexual objects, and the more, the better...
Interesting how the human mind works, eh?

There are also several magazines dedicated to shoujo-ai.
I don't mind shoujo-ai. From what I have seen, it is very sweet and kind [well, the non-ecchi type]. Most guys in today's world aren't like that and/or aren't looking for that...

I have not read any shoujo-ai. Can anyone point some out for me?
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 00:30   Link #19
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

"Love has no borders, nationalities or genders!"

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-03, 01:17   Link #20
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

Quote:

well...i do
it's true that many (straight) men are just looking for a quick thrill...
however, watching shounen-ai makes my stomach churn, "normal" and shoujo-ai do not (granted there aren't MANY shoujo-ai series available in english: Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito being the anime that comes to mind, Azumanga Daioh has a wee bit (Kaorin's affection for Sakaki, while intended for comedic appeal, is shoujo-ai).
It's odd, however...shounen-ai manga are marked "shoujo" and placed in bookstores like normal books
Shoujo-ai are marked "For Mature Audiences Only" and wrapped in plastic o_o
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote