AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 42 15.73%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 18.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 67 25.09%
7 out of 10 : Good 57 21.35%
6 out of 10 : Average 28 10.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 10 3.75%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 1.87%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 2.25%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.75%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-01, 16:59   Link #61
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I'd like to hear some comment from people who never knew about umineko until now (seeing as everyone is speculating on how confusing this episode would be for first time viewer), but I guess I'll have to wait for the subs to come out before that. In that case don't be shy and tell us your opinion.

Old 2009-07-01, 17:00   Link #62
SidVicious
Anime addict

Nice first ep.

Spoiler for But...:
Old 2009-07-01, 17:01   Link #63
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Wow, it was really fast paced. I guess it was because they wanted to introduce everyone as quickly as possible and get right into the story. Introducing 15 (?) characters in one episode must be tough to do. At least, I enjoyed the episode, and I'll be looking forward to the series every week.
Old 2009-07-01, 17:08   Link #64
Saerianne
*cackle*

Just watched it. Everyone has said what I think.
Was a bit rushed. Has room for improvement, but has lots of potential in my opinion. Loved the opening and the ending did fit better with the video. Maria's Uu-Uu did get annoying in that scene, didn't it? XDD I didn't notice the censorship, maybe I should rewatch it. It was good to see the music names in the credits too.
Spoiler for episode 1:

Also, do the episodes come out daily or weekly?
Old 2009-07-01, 17:11   Link #65
Freelii
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saerianne View Post
Also, do the episodes come out daily or weekly?
Weekly. Would be all kinds of awesome if it was daily :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I'd like to hear some comment from people who never knew about umineko until now (seeing as everyone is speculating on how confusing this episode would be for first time viewer), but I guess I'll have to wait for the subs to come out before that. In that case don't be shy and tell us your opinion.
I know someone who knows nothing of Umineko who will be watching as soon as subs come out. I'll probably be passing on their opinion once they do, as I'm also interested in seeing how a newcomer takes this first episode.
Old 2009-07-01, 17:15   Link #66
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidVicious View Post
Nice first ep.

Spoiler for But...:
Spoiler for Response:
Old 2009-07-01, 17:16   Link #67
Akuryou
*cackle* *cackle*

Send a message via MSN to Akuryou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelii View Post
I know someone who knows nothing of Umineko who will be watching as soon as subs come out. I'll probably be passing on their opinion once they do, as I'm also interested in seeing how a newcomer takes this first episode.
Same here. I've already recommended the series to a handful non-VN readers, and I plan on posting their opinions here, too.
Old 2009-07-01, 17:23   Link #68
SidVicious
Anime addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
Spoiler for Response:
I see...
Thanks.
Old 2009-07-01, 17:33   Link #69
milkypink
♥~☆~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saerianne View Post
I didn't notice the censorship, maybe I should rewatch it. It was good to see the music names in the credits too.
Depending on what version you watched, it might not have had the beeps. If it was the censored version, I think you probably would have noticed so you likely got the later raw which was uncensored XD A bunch of us jumped on the original offering which had the bleeps.
Old 2009-07-01, 17:59   Link #70
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelysan View Post
It's always best not to put your expectations to high for ANYTHING. That just makes expectations unrealistic, and it's a little unfair.

That said.... I love Umineko, I'm biased, so I'll love the anime series no matter what ^^;;; .

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this, but some people are Umineko biased in a totally different way that will make them HATE the anime no matter what....

In other words... I'll be interested in hearing the thoughts of people totally new to the series. Heh~

EDIT- Also, the fact that they edited some words out in some of the Japanese broadcast surprised me. Never knew the Japanese felt they had to censor words on tv before. (since ussually bad words aren't that bad and normally it's just context that determines "badness." Er, from what I've been led to believe) . Learn something new everyday!
Old 2009-07-01, 18:02   Link #71
Alaya
Counter Force

7 out of 10 for me.
Spoiler for Reasons:

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Old 2009-07-01, 18:06   Link #72
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

What the... that was an episode? @_@
It literally felt like random clips put together to me.

Okay first off, they skipped way too much. I didn't think they would skip THAT much, I mean... are ALL of the viewers supposed to know what happens? Are they basically telling everybody to "Play the visual novel first to make sense of this"? Because that's what it feels like to me. This is pretty ridiculous. I honestly didn't expect them to just put things together like this. The pacing is waaaaay too fast. It's as if they were literally racing just to get it done (they probably were).

The animation was awful to me, not awful like Higurashi season 1 awful... but awful in a different way. The designs for Higurashi weren't that great, but I don't remember the animation being this weird during normal moments (can't speak for those psycho moments however). In Umineko the animation isn't smooth at all, the characters don't flow from one movement to the next that well. I'm not expecting Haruhi Suzumiya animation, but it feels like they could have done so much more. In one scene I remember seeing Rosa looking calm, randomly yelling, and then going back to put her tea cup down calmly. I actually find a few things to be laughable. ^^;

They look too intense when they yell. I'd understand if there was buildup or something to let the viewer understand WHY the character is so upset. But we're just tossed into the middle of a scene. I just don't really like the animation OR character design for the anime so far. I mean, since when were Kanon and Kumasawa so tall? I would have figured that they'd both be around Jessica's height, with Kanon being either the same height or only a LITTLE taller and Kumasawa being shorter. Since their heights aren't specifically said in the game, I guess that's no problem but since when was Battler so short?

I liked the music. In fact, that's the best part about the anime so far to me. Even though some music was used in the wrong spot, it's an anime, not the original, so I can understand that.

The sad part is that the only scene that I really liked was the one between Rosa and Maria. I actually LIKE them in this episode, which isn't the feeling I got from the original. I hated both Rosa AND Maria in the original, but in the anime I like them? I don't know if it's because they did a (imo) crappy job with everything else... or just because Rosa and Maria are more charming in anime form. But it just feels wrong to me.

This episode gets a 5/10 from me. I don't care if anybody thinks I'm being too harsh, I thought it was pretty awful so I think I'm being generous with even that. I was looking at the clock to see when the episode would finally end, that's how much I didn't like it. I just hope that they do a better job in the future. When it comes to the normal scenes they didn't do well at all, but maybe once the murders and magic all starts, they'll be able to pull it off? ._.;

OP: The song is wonderful. The animation and sequences on the other hand, not so much... Jessica and Shannon look odd in the window part. And I can't really see any pattern or meaning behind a couple of clips shown, I loved the part with Maria. But that's about it. The one part focuses on Beato way too long, only to have her ultimately do nothing. The adults got nice pictures with heavy shading, but that being their only appearance in the OP seems a bit like a let down to me.
6/10

ED: I don't like the song, I don't like the animation, and I don't like how it introduces the title of the next episode in the middle of it. Overall very disappointing to me. Only shows Battler and Beato at the end, which I guess makes sense. But it just feels too empty for me.
1/10

Just... bleh...

Old 2009-07-01, 18:30   Link #73
Severin

Whenever Ryukishi's slow pacing annoys me, I'll remember the travesty that was this episode.

At least I sort of understand how the Higurashi reader base reacted to the first season in 2006, haha...
Old 2009-07-01, 18:33   Link #74
Alaya
Counter Force

Considering that the cast in Umineko is a lot larger than Higurashi, I feel sympathize for the studio. Introducing more than 10 people in the single episode is really hard, and I don't think they have much time/episodes for just introduction.

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Old 2009-07-01, 18:39   Link #75
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
8 out of 10 from me

I understand where the visual novel readers are coming from, but looking at the big picture, it's probably better to get through these early things quickly to make room for the bigger plot points. You have to remember that they only have so many episodes to work with.

Anyway, as a visual novel reader myself, I was impressed with the episode, and look forward to next weeks.

The Opening and Ending are both fantastic~
Old 2009-07-01, 18:41   Link #76
Avisch
Reality Blender

Watched. Wasn't horrified. Wasn't greatly pleased. Neutral

Spoiler for episode:

So yeah...all seiyu are really good. I knew Daisuke Ono and Maria would be fine. But Yui Horie and Rie Kugumiya surprised me the most in terms of how they displayed their characters.

Hopefully the next episode will move slower.

One crazy B****
Old 2009-07-01, 18:44   Link #77
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Just finished watching the first episode.

I liked the episode a lot myself. And it's a first episode, and they wanted, no HAD to get to "the creepy/the mystery" bits quicker to draw first time viewers in.
I have a feeling for later arcs, they'll probably slow down and do the comedy/backstory things a bit more before getting to "the meat" of the story (ie- first twilight and beyond.)

Anyways, in the presentation, I see a lot of techniques that are used in other mystery anime series (namely the name plate things for each character.) So that was kinda nifty, and I can see what they're going for. Fun, fun~
Old 2009-07-01, 18:52   Link #78
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Stepping into the mind of a first time viewer of the series I would have to say "WTF". But not being one and actually a viewer who loves the game I have to say "WTFZOMGBBQBURN".

Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-07-01, 18:54   Link #79
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

Well, this was crushed together a bit harder than I expected, but it means we'll be seeing the meat of the EP sooner. Both good and bad. Overall I think it's a worthwhile sacrifice, but I hope the jumbled first ep won't turn too many viewers off.

7/10 from me.
Old 2009-07-01, 18:54   Link #80
D-Evangeline

Nice episode but it felt rushed. I'm little worried if they keep this pace in the coming episodes. The cast in this anime is huge so I hope they can introduce all the characters properly in coming episodes.

Still this has great potential so I keep on watching. Oh... and Opening was great.
Closed Thread