AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-09-11, 10:47   Link #21
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Not impressed until they put every fucking thing back on text files you can edit on notepad++.

We don't need fancy map editors and mythical in-house Source engine-style tools, we need just the very *possibility* to fuck around with things in the first place. Leave it to the modders to fix your AI (as best they can), balance your factions, modify and prettify your maps, and even replicate Middle Earth as they did for M2TW. Modders are creative, they give games shelf life. Screw your expansions, I'm not paying anymore (and to think the first Shogun was the first game I ever bought for myself).

Yeah, I'm still pissed their so-called map editor for Shogun 2 was just for the battle map and they still locked off the campaign map and the AI.

It's great the games look better than ever and all, but wouldn't it look even better if people could use that magnificent, magnificent engine to recreate Minas Tirith or something? Not to mention, I'm wary because I'm on the historically accurate faction of CA's fanbase and had been on it since I encountered the chariot-racing Pharoahs and naked Celts in the first RTW, a game where shitty Roman equites was somehow a far better unit than proper Hellenistic hetairoi, until every big mod out there fixed it and made things right.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-12, 11:30   Link #22
Destined_Fate

Indeed, as they release more and more TW games they restrict more and more of the modding potential. It's sad how closed off Shogun 2 is compared to RTW.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 10:19   Link #23
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

The First Look at Total War: Rome II ’s Gameplay Has Freakin’ Battle Elephants.

Old 2012-09-26, 11:27   Link #24
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Is it me... or are they look just like Asian Elephants rather than African? Look at the ears.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 16:14   Link #25
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
African elephants were never used because they were too wild to tame.

Asian and the smaller African forest elephant which is now extinct were used
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 11:27   Link #26
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
African elephants were never used because they were too wild to tame.

Asian and the smaller African forest elephant which is now extinct were used
Huh? African elephants were never used but they used smaller African elephants??
Old 2012-09-27, 11:33   Link #27
Belgaesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Huh? African elephants were never used but they used smaller African elephants??
A sub-species of African Elephant more exactly, the North African Elephant that is now extinct. Those were the elephants that were used by Carthage.

The Syrian elephant that were used by post-hellenistic nations(such as:Ptolemaic, Seleucid), are though to be Indian elephant that were brought there from India.
Belgaesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-27, 22:51   Link #28
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
The common elephant that people think about are those giant ones in Africa and those are next to impossible to tame.

When Alexander the Great started his trek to the East, he came into contact with Asian Elephants and that's how they started getting integrated to various armies in the west.

Carthage and other nations used a sub-species of the African Elephant which were a lot smaller and as already stated they are now extinct.

On that matter CA just released a WORKSHOP for Total War Shogun II which pretty much puts it on par with Skyrim and TF2 where we can mod it and share with others.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 11:44   Link #29
NoemiChan
Banned

At least THEY ARE African Elephants... Only the species differs..
Old 2012-10-25, 03:53   Link #30
Theo

All right, here's the motherload:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Ganbare, Scipio-kun.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 13:30   Link #31
Destined_Fate

Can't wait for a Darth Mod for this.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-25, 15:52   Link #32
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

If cities were that big based on your improvements for it. And you're able to build siege, and spend more time in the battle screen then you are in the campaign screen. Then this will just be a masterpiece.
Old 2012-10-25, 22:40   Link #33
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Can't wait for a Darth Mod for this.
Same! After watching the above gameplay video, I just reinstalled Shogun 2 with darthmod. Time to pwn some samurai

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 21:40   Link #34
Theo

It's been a while, but we got Rome (gasp!) and Carthage (gasp again!) being available for play. Attention to detail is absolutely absurd and it will be like this for tens of thousands of men:
Spoiler for too big:
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 22:04   Link #35
NoemiChan
Banned

Seeing the picture makes me more worried about its effect to my computer,,,
Old 2012-12-15, 22:27   Link #36
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Seeing the picture makes me more worried about its effect to my computer,,,
IKR. The commentator for the gameplay walkthrough had mentioned that they will be trying to minimize the requirements and try to keep it to what Shogun 2 requires. I just bought a Lenovo y580 and it can handle Shogun 2 all on ultra (no shadows of course though hehe) with ease. I even had it modded with increased unit sizes and it's still running perfectly fine. Can't wait for Rome Total War 2.

Ugh, they need to come out with a demo D:

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-15, 23:19   Link #37
killer3000ad

I am gonna need a new rig to run this.....
Old 2012-12-16, 01:21   Link #38
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Rome Total War is probably one of the best game i ever played. But i hope that Creative Assembly are not digging their heel again this time, with their flagship game, RTW finally is revived for their 25th year Anniversary

What i means is: since RTW, every game after that has almost the case of same game with different skins. Medieval 2, admittedly i didn't play much, but Empire and Shogun 2..... almost all units was the same without historical feature that make them special in the first place. And hence you can easily pick out a game breaker selection to roll through the map without oppositions. Empire was by massing large number with cannon. Shogun was by having medium-size archer groups and hole into castles to lure enemy into eliminating themselves.

I really hopes that they will consider these 3 points for this new RTW2, and actually evolve the Total War Series, rather than just another RTW with more stunning graphic skins:
  1. the availability of historical units: And i'm not talking about those super elite Urban Coholt. What i'm saying here is archer and other ranged units. Archers supposed to hard to train, hard to keep up, and almost have no melee fight when it comes to hand to hand combat (the early unit at least). Number of range unit in an army supposed to be 10% max, and not effective enough to actually annihilate their enemy. They support to be there for skimirsh battle, to reduce opponent morale from a far, and cause morale shock in the middle of battle. If i can bring an army with 70% of them archers, and clear the whole maps against any opponent.... surely that means AC did something wrong.
  2. training vs experiences: We all know how we rarely have professional army numbered by ten thousands in the past, even in Rome, so experienced unit supposed to be the cutting edge from the rest, and likely the best unit available on the field. IF Gaul spearman, 3 golden stars with 10 years of fighting experiences being defeated by a fresh newly recruited legion in pitch fight, surely that does not do history any justice
  3. different fighting culture affect unit behaviour once again, RTW can get away with Gaul spearman fighting the same way withthe Egyptain's or Rome coholt. But then Medieval? Empire? Shogun 2? All the unit across the world in those series, in different period, have been behaving the same, with slightly different skins (and sometime different one time used 'ability'). So I want this RTW to have clear distinction. For example, Romans to be more organised, more compact but prone to shock and chaotic situation. While the Gaul can get much more flexible with much stronger rush, but may in disadvantage after being hole down and fight in tight spot
Old 2012-12-16, 02:09   Link #39
NoemiChan
Banned

Just imagine:

> Spearmans in Germania using phalanx formation.
> Armenia, Numidia and Pontus has Legionaires.
Old 2012-12-16, 05:50   Link #40
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Quote:
I worshipped RTW because of the gameplay... Huge armies doesn't mean sure victory...
Phalanx units in a square formation, can't go wrong.

I updated my Video Card to a GTX 670 just for this game and Bioshock Infinite. Bring it the fuck on.
GoddyofAus is offline   Reply With Quote