AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

Old 2013-04-12, 10:17   Link #301
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So far, this seems like a mix of Gundam and Code geass (for the supernatural element). Not sure what to think of it yet. It's campy and a bit ridiculous but it sure is entertaining. They're walking a pretty thin line. This has the potential to be either awesome or horrible. No middle ground.

I want to learn more about the MC. The synopsis and the previews made it sound like he would be the second coming of Jesus Yamato, the first episode gave me the impression they intend to take his character in another direction. He's already abandoned his "there should be no winner" or losers" philosophy and he's seemingly turned into a freaking vampire, which could make him an anti-hero. Too early too tell though. His character could "regress" next week. I'm also curious about what his relationship with L-elf is going to be like.

I was shocked when I read they had already killed the childhood friend. However, after watching the episode, it's obvious to me she's going to come back later, probably at the very end of the first cour. The real twist would be if she were really dead. We'll see.

In the end, the biggest surprise for me was the post-credit scene. The rest was very conventional and safe.
Old 2013-04-12, 10:40   Link #302
Hitenma
Behold! We are the Nine!

I have mixed feelings for the first episode.

First of all, this anime is pretty. I like the character designs.
The OP looks fabulous, it reminds me of Star Driver

The first part, characters and setting introduction. Nothing spectacular, but not bad either.

Airport security Seriously

I don't know what to feel about Shoko's death. It doesn't have any impact at all, considering we have only known her for a few minutes. But it's an okay plot device to make the main character go revenge mode.

Nevertheless, the situation is still very forced. Getting in a random mech you have no idea how to pilot? Really? But well, when people are filled with hatred they can do something unreasonable and unexpected (not to us of course, we all know what will happen).

Now it seems our main char has became a vampire. Hmm ...

I'm not sure. I need to give this anime a few more episodes before I can have any judgement.
Hitenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 10:41   Link #303
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

This looks interesting. I will might be following this. Let's see where it goes from here.
Old 2013-04-12, 10:58   Link #304
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Spoiler for Episode 1:
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 10:59   Link #305
Shinhwa
Banned

Seriously, the voice cast of this anime is just godly.... I love it <3

But @Haruto = Learn to read!!!
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:04   Link #306
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
& again due to the reality of the fandom, somebody had to misinterpret the horror movie undead monster attack Haruto biting L-elf in the neck scene as the "BL bite" WHY?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:06   Link #307
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
& again due to the reality of the fandom, somebody had to misinterpret the horror movie undead monster attack Haruto biting L-elf in the neck scene as the "BL bite" WHY?
fujoshi.

any more question

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:29   Link #308
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
fujoshi.

any more question
To be fair, the Haruto and L-Elf have "please write BL doujin about us" written on their foreheads in the promo materials and such.

Marketing. :3
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:30   Link #309
ookamigirl

The art is really nice. I like it.
So this is basically school life + survival + mecha.
First part was just like my class LOL
Always texting useless stuff to fend off boredom.
New "students" certainly brought some interesting elements into this anime.
Haruto lost most precious to him, but got to be the hero. Was it worth it?
Guess we'll see in the next episodes.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:37   Link #310
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
To be fair, the Haruto and L-Elf have "please write BL doujin about us" written on their foreheads in the promo materials and such.

Yeah, this time it isn't even an unintentional consequence by the writers that the show attracts fujoshi, like Wing or SEED. No, it's pretty much planned that Valvrave would be what I call "BL bait" from the get go.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:44   Link #311
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post

to be honest, it wasn't Haruto's fault if it weren't L-elf penetrating him first, thus he gave L-elf a ~chuu-lip~ on the neck as a payback, you know for a guy who just lost his romantic interest, he had to find a quick replacement, cuz the other main girl seen in the OP was beyond his reach at that time *RUNS LIKE HELL!!*
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:45   Link #312
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

dat OP

Keep giving more random powers like that vamiprism and this will easily be the best show this season
Old 2013-04-12, 11:46   Link #313
Blaat

Clearly Frau Ayase is still alive and she'll be rescued by Yzak Wataya and Dearkka Mashima; karuta playing ensues. Anything else, except for permanent dead with obligatory newtype ghost guest appearances, would be unacceptable.

Anyway a good start of Gundam Valvrave with excellent production values. The setting is typical Gundam except for multiple colonies there are multiple dyson spheres. Which shows you how technologically advanced humans are if they can create multiple stars around Earth's orbit without any problems what so ever.

So far I wish Gundam AGE ended up on a rejected Gundam series bin instead of this one.
Old 2013-04-12, 12:34   Link #314
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
So far, this seems like a mix of Gundam and Code geass (for the supernatural element). Not sure what to think of it yet. It's campy and a bit ridiculous but it sure is entertaining. They're walking a pretty thin line. This has the potential to be either awesome or horrible. No middle ground....
Quoted for truth. Animation: excellent. OP by TM Revolution and Mizuki Nana: headed for Oricon top five. Apparent death of lead girl: almost moving (except we didn't get enough of the relationship to really feel it). MC climbs into mecha...and can't make it move: wonderful. MC comes back as a vampire/zombie: either fascinating or totally stupid. Time will tell. I guess he really did press that button.

Director Matsuo Kou did Kurenai. Writer Ookouchi Ichirou did Planetes and Code Geass. Check...check...check.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 12:43   Link #315
agetreme
Just another Idiot

Awesome OP. The Fighting is really both awesome and beautiful with the light show.

However, about the Vampire thingy, had a strange feeling that it will not stick.... The Main character is just somebody enhanced with Nanomachine with no real vampire-y attribute like the need to feed on blood.

The Neck-biting is probably a one-shot thing for shock value.

Hopefully I am wrong. (please let me be wrong.... a vampiric mecha pilot is an awesome idea....)

Edit: Probably would be more awesome if Mecha is actually a vampire... A Vampire Mecha need blood to activate and turns pilot into vampire in doing so (like a real vampire?).
Old 2013-04-12, 12:55   Link #316
LostSome

Quote:
Originally Posted by agetreme View Post
However, about the Vampire thingy, had a strange feeling that it will not stick.... The Main character is just somebody enhanced with Nanomachine with no real vampire-y attribute like the need to feed on blood.

The Neck-biting is probably a one-shot thing for shock value.

Hopefully I am wrong. (please let me be wrong.... a vampiric mecha pilot is an awesome idea....)

Edit: Probably would be more awesome if Mecha is actually a vampire... A Vampire Mecha need blood to activate and turns pilot into vampire in doing so (like a real vampire?).
Hoshino is the character designer ! Her MC are either not human or not human for long... From zombie to female oni wearing a boy`s "skin".
LostSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 13:38   Link #317
Jetzero Infinity

Man that was amazing. Albiet for all the wrong reasons, but wow I'm amazed something so stupid could exist and yet somehow be incredibly entertaining. *

I mean seriously we had a generic evil bishonen squad, childhood friend getting blown to bits, and friggin vampires! I'm convinced the show is secretly a parody because I don't think any writer could look at the scripting for this and not die laughing. I'll definently be watching more though.
Jetzero Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 13:39   Link #318
whitecloud

Yeah...this definitely feel like gundam 00...the MC too change to another being...but I forgot isn't it another series of gundam that the MC also change into vampire like species but I forgot what?

Anyway the MC judging from the attitude most likely will become an Avenger type MC like gundam seed if I don't mistaken?

by the way...for the sake of it should we just rename it to gundam liberator or gundam valvrave sound cooler...hahaha just kidding...but really it sound cool

Last edited by whitecloud; 2013-04-12 at 14:00.
whitecloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 13:57   Link #319
garbage

- wow another gundam much.

- shoko > wow that's a real shocker but nope i don't believe she's dead. no one can be sure of course, except the writers themselves ^^.

- Dyson sphere whut?? was that spherical structure shown the Dyson sphere seems really small to be one. Feels they just used the name for added Sci-fi / hi -tech flavoring without much thought. didn't really liked it's inclusion.

the original main concept of a dyson sphere is to completely encompass a star so as to capture all the energy it is radiating, gravity is not a consideration, so i'm wondering why there's been a lot of discussion here on "what distance the sphere needs to be to create 1g gravity."

the idea of putting it at 1AU (astronomical unit : distance of earth from sun) is for the sphere itself to be habitable temperature wise.As scientists have deduced habitable planets(class M)in solar systems with stars similar to our sun can only be found in a very narrow band, the Habitable Zone. basically where Earth now resides. This is called a Dyson Shell and the inside of the shell is deemed habitable due to this set-up. of course there are as one can expect an ocean of possible complications in building such a structure. (like no gravity on the shell so everything inside the shell falls toward the sun ^^, so there goes all the hollow world lit....) This is the most common variant seen on sci-fi lit. Imagine the material strength AND Amount needed for such a structure. ( not enough in the whole solar system for that matter ) There are these days multiple theoretical variants. Incomplete shells like those shown in the episode is of course possible, but talk about control problems of irregular bodies of that size. BTW are those Dyson spheres of different stars? looks too close to each other.

These are very much just thought exercises and actual implementation are of course in the realm of extreme Sci-fi.

- Nanomachines again? at least I think that's what MC was injected with.

- In any case it's still a good first episode, not as good as a couple this season, but possible keeper, will be watching further. they might try explaining their "Dyson Sphere" further if they have the guts
Old 2013-04-12, 14:11   Link #320
DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

The first half of the series was boring as hell, but the second half was sort of fun although not much. The music.... Kind of neutral on it for now. I also disagree with the grunts being just "tie fighters with arms", they seemed sort of decent and performed well enough. Enough on that though, for once there is finally a mecha that USES A KAMA. A FRIGGIN KAMA! I NEVER THOUGHT I'D SEE A WEAPON LIKE THAT FOR A MECHA ANIME BUT AS OF TODAY I AM WRONG! KAMAS FOR EVERYBODY!

I am also on the side of anyone that thinks Shoko is dead/will return to life later as opposed to surviving.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, body swapping, fukujun, love polygon, mecha, sci-fi, space, space idol, vampire