AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-23, 09:01   Link #1
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Character discussion - Lawrence

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Lawrence related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Spice and Wolf fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter / game talk, there are other threads for that stuff.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

• Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Skyfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 09:55   Link #2
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

I think Lawrence is a pretty cool guy. Eh sells stuffs and doesn't afraid of anything.
Old 2008-01-23, 10:49   Link #3
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
He is a pretty good guy. Not that he isn't afraid of anything, but he doesn't let that stop him. When first meeting Horo he was nervous enough to pull a weapon and no doubt was pretty unnerved to say the least after seeing her paw. But was still willing to travel with her.
Old 2008-01-23, 11:24   Link #4
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I like him. He seems to be a very down-to-earth fellow, but kind because he allowed Horo to come along with him. Well, albeit not for free, but he is running his business and his life, after all.

And does anyone know how old Lawrence actually is? I keep getting the impression of mid-to late 20's, but I could be way off.
Old 2008-01-23, 11:32   Link #5
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

I Like His Character....
Since His Voice By Jun Fukuyama..
Old 2008-01-23, 12:16   Link #6
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I like him. He seems to be a very down-to-earth fellow, but kind because he allowed Horo to come along with him. Well, albeit not for free, but he is running his business and his life, after all.

And does anyone know how old Lawrence actually is? I keep getting the impression of mid-to late 20's, but I could be way off.
I believe he is 25.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 13:47   Link #7
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
He is a pretty good guy. Not that he isn't afraid of anything, but he doesn't let that stop him. When first meeting Horo he was nervous enough to pull a weapon and no doubt was pretty unnerved to say the least after seeing her paw. But was still willing to travel with her.
Someone didn't get the joke.
Old 2008-01-23, 15:28   Link #8
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
Someone didn't get the joke.
...what joke...
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 15:45   Link #9
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

I really have to spell it out for you guys?

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Pretty_cool_guy
Old 2008-01-23, 16:35   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I was actually having more trouble with your second sentence:
Quote:
Eh sells stuffs and doesn't afraid of anything.
but I just assumed you had a typing spasm I wasn't a fan of Halo and missed that particular meme (though I've seen others like it).
Old 2008-01-23, 16:52   Link #11
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Hmmm, what to say about Lawrence Craft? Besides him having one of the coolest sounding names I've ever heard, there isn't much to say about him so far. I can say he and Horo definitely complete each other and I can't see anyone else fulfilling his role of babysitting the beastie . I'm not sure of his status as a merchant, but so far he hasn't done anything to earn him the label of a master tradesman (if anything, we've seen him do less than Horo). We got a small glimpse of his past doings in episode 2, but it really wasn't anything significant. It was more showing the dangers of being a merchant than anything. I do love how quickly he got over the shock of Horo's introduction. It really speaks to his character.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 17:04   Link #12
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
he hasn't done anything to earn him the label of a master tradesman (if anything, we've seen him do less than Horo)
He never claimed to be a master tradesman. He thinks of himself as an average merchant and says so in the second episode.

He is overshadowed by Horo because she shows signs of very keen intelligence and senses as well as charisma. Plus, her hundreds of years of experience gives her more potential tricks than Lawrence knows, like the fruit+fur. Once she knows a little more about current economics and currencies, she will be a MUCH better merchant than Lawrence. Lawrence seems to know that as well, judging from this episode.
Old 2008-01-23, 17:16   Link #13
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

The way I see it, Horo knows people. Conversely, being a traveling merchant, Lawrence knows much about the world. Being trapped in a single village for centuries, Horo knows human nature better than anyone else ever will, but she knows very little of the current world as a whole. I think complimenting Horo's weakness in that area will serve as Lawrence's main role, whereas Horo teaching him "tricks of the trade" will be hers.
I think this will serve true until (or if rather) they become romantically linked together, whereupon their roles would obviously undergo a dramatic change. It just speaks lengths as to how perfect of a pair they are.
Grimkill7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 17:26   Link #14
ani_d

Lawrence is the best. He's pretty clever ^.^ I never get tired of watching him battle his wits with Horo. Hearing him get flustered is like hearing Lelouch get flustered haha At first I thought his voice should be more mature, but now, I couldn't picture him having any other voice than Jun Fukuyama's. I'm dying to see episode 4 already.
ani_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 18:37   Link #15
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
I never get tired of watching him battle his wits with Horo.
Totally agree with you on that, and his name totally reminded me of Lawrencium. I myself have no clue why either. 2, 8, 18, 32, 32, 9, 2 much? Like the way he acts, probably the only male character that is older than 24 I took liking of.
Old 2008-01-23, 18:54   Link #16
no common sense
Resident Asshole

He's Kyon in a former life. Seems to have a bad habit of pairing up with girls that are perceived to be Goddesses. I can't help but like a guy who is a market oriented capitalist with his mind focused mostly on profits (rather than the gutter).
no common sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-23, 23:46   Link #17
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by no common sense View Post
He's Kyon in a former life. Seems to have a bad habit of pairing up with girls that are perceived to be Goddesses. I can't help but like a guy who is a market oriented capitalist with his mind focused mostly on profits (rather than the gutter).
Kyon, Are you sure??????

hmm, after some thinking, you are could be right. They are seem very normal guys live in their normal lives until two strange girls came in their lives and turn it upside down.
Old 2008-01-23, 23:59   Link #18
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neki Ecko View Post
Kyon, Are you sure??????

hmm, after some thinking, you are could be right. They are seem very normal guys live in their normal lives until two strange girls came in their lives and turn it upside down.
I completely thought you were going to rip straight into Bel-Air. I'm disappointed now.
Old 2008-01-24, 01:15   Link #19
Neki Ecko
Dancing with the Sky

Send a message via Yahoo to Neki Ecko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
I completely thought you were going to rip straight into Bel-Air. I'm disappointed now.
Oh you want me to rip straight into Bel-Air, give me a day and I will do up "Bel-Air" style. I did up some of the lyrcis but I have to do the whole thing later

Spoiler for Bel-Air (Spice and Wolf style):

Last edited by Neki Ecko; 2008-01-24 at 02:00.
Neki Ecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-29, 18:47   Link #20
Avisch
Reality Blender

Lawrence is nicely constructed. Because
-He has a goal
-He has experience
-and he's dynamic around Horo which makes them a great couple

I could be all wrong about this but.....

I think Lawrence in the manga and in the anime are slightly different.
Spoiler for Manga:

I always wonder why he ignores Horo's nude form. Actually both seem to ignore it.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote