AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-09-04, 17:54   Link #41
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Didn't Granma say it? Alicia is a master at enjoying herself.

I guess Akari's the same.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 18:26   Link #42
Skane
Anime Snark

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Didn't Granma say it? Alicia is a master at enjoying herself.

I guess Akari's the same.
Everyday, I think to myself more and more, on how depraved my mind has become...

Natch.
Old 2007-09-04, 19:25   Link #43
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Send a message via Yahoo to G. Zeus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Everyday, I think to myself more and more, on how depraved my mind has become...
You're not alone.

(Ara, ara. No wonder she's always smiling...)

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
<º))))><.¸.•´¯`•.¸reviews¸.•´¯`•.¸links¸.•´¯`•.¸.><((((º>

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-09-04 at 22:35.
G. Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 20:21   Link #44
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Gah! You filthy-minded abominations! Begone with ye!

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 06:51   Link #45
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

After reading so many works of fiction, looking for hidden/double meanings eventually becomes a habit for some. Besides, what he said was one of the most common examples of double entendre so I can't blame Skane either for picking it up.

Going back to a few points raised earlier:
In my opinion, ARIA/AQUA has much potential but this potential is being wasted. Every story is neatly wrapped up, every question has an answer (even if they may be tentative at times), every chapter has an insight provided by the characters, all faces must be smiling again by the time you turn to the last page.

In short, Akari's presence makes the story too f***ing didactic.

Rather than providing a situation from which one can draw several possible insights, Akari provides the insight itself. Besides this, sharing and explicitly explaining an insight when it could be done by other more subtle means is just as bad if not even worse than analyzing humor. While it allows others to have a greater understanding of the insight, it's nowhere as rewarding as realizing it on your own.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-09-05 at 07:11.
Old 2007-09-05, 17:07   Link #46
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Zeus View Post
In my opinion, ARIA/AQUA has much potential but this potential is being wasted. Every story is neatly wrapped up, every question has an answer (even if they may be tentative at times), every chapter has an insight provided by the characters, all faces must be smiling again by the time you turn to the last page.

In short, Akari's presence makes the story too f***ing didactic.

Rather than providing a situation from which one can draw several possible insights, Akari provides the insight itself. Besides this, sharing and explicitly explaining an insight when it could be done by other more subtle means is just as bad if not even worse than analyzing humor. While it allows others to have a greater understanding of the insight, it's nowhere as rewarding as realizing it on your own.
Well, it may very well be didactic. Every episode revolves around the "moral of the story", which is explained clearly at the end. Every episode essentially strikes the same emotional chord, time after time. And I agree; they don't really leave much room for interpretation. But, considering the show and its impact on me as a viewer, I find myself wondering... "so what?"

Clearly appealing to widely-accepted qualities like friendship, kindness, and so on, provides common ground through which all viewers can relate to the show on the same level. This further emphasizes the show's primary message, which revolves around the "quintessential human experience" that transcends time, space, circumstance, and the individual human heart. In other words, didactic moral-driven stories (as with all fables and parables) provide the framework for a universally-shared understanding and appreciation of the principle being conveyed. Even if it doesn't leave room for interpretation, it strikes a chord that resonates with our sentimentality and human nature, and I think that's really what the show's about.

Your complaint seems essentially to be that the show lacks subtlety and is too clean/straight/simple; it's missing potential because it insists on spelling everything out, and always offering a resolution. But, personally, I don't think I'd change a thing in that regard. If the writers feel they need to so bluntly brandish such basic human qualities in front of us so we can see, once again, what's really important in life, it's probably because we could all use the reminder. I find that reminder, and that appeal to my sentimentality, to be a reward all its own.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 18:53   Link #47
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Quote:
Clearly appealing to widely-accepted qualities like friendship, kindness, and so on, provides common ground through which all viewers can relate to the show on the same level. This further emphasizes the show's primary message, which revolves around the "quintessential human experience" that transcends time, space, circumstance, and the individual human heart. In other words, didactic moral-driven stories (as with all fables and parables) provide the framework for a universally-shared understanding and appreciation of the principle being conveyed. Even if it doesn't leave room for interpretation, it strikes a chord that resonates with our sentimentality and human nature, and I think that's really what the show's about.
Well, different strokes for different folks. The themes may be universal but the manner in which it was presented might not appeal to all. If the show's operating at your resonance frequency, then good for you. May you become a better person for it.

I just think that it would have been more effective if the main character was someone who was between the two extremes of Akari and Holden Caulfield, someone who sees the world as it is and appreciates it despite its flaws and bad times without resorting to romanticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
But, personally, I don't think I'd change a thing in that regard. If the writers feel they need to so bluntly brandish such basic human qualities in front of us so we can see, once again, what's really important in life, it's probably because we could all use the reminder. I find that reminder, and that appeal to my sentimentality, to be a reward all its own.
It serves as a good reminder for those who have forgotten and those who never knew. For fans of slice of life works though, it doesn't offer anything new or unique. After 13 + 26 = 39 episodes of notifying viewers of how wonderful the world is, perhaps it's time to move on to something less sugar-coated.

All in all, it's a good series (ARIA in general). The music is soothing, the animation is fluid, the setting is beautiful, some of the characters are interesting and amusing, the themes are appropriate for all audiences, there's no fanservice, unnecessary violence, etc. It's an excellent package overall. So why not take it to an even higher level and make it more sublime?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
Aria should have its own Forum, not just threads!!!

How do we get a forum?

While i cant understand the OVA cause i dont speak japanese, it was awesome!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabris View Post
It's not popular enough (unfortunately), probably because it's MFI and most people won't go that bit more to try and find subs.
Seriously though. 1 manga series, 3 seasons of anime, a videogame somewhere, and an OAV to boot. It deserves its own forum section.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-09-06 at 06:13.
Old 2007-09-05, 21:29   Link #48
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
I just think that it would have been more effective if the main character was someone who was between the two extremes of Akari and Holden Caulfield, someone who sees the world as it is and appreciates it despite its flaws and bad times without resorting to romanticism.
Heh - I guess I really like that hopeless romanticism. It's almost refreshing, in its own way. Plus, it always opens the door to the show's best and most memorable line...
Quote:
It serves as a good reminder for those who have forgotten and those who never knew. For fans of slice of life works though, it doesn't offer anything new or unique. After 13 + 26 = 39 episodes of notifying viewers of how wonderful the world is, perhaps it's time to move on to something less sugar-coated.
I don't know... I sort of think it's timeless and universal, which is why they keep coming back to it. It's not the sort of show I would marathon 26 episodes at once, but it provides a certain sure comfort after a long day of work, for example. So, personally, I'd gladly take more of the same (with a few new twists here and there). It may not offer anything new or unique at this point, but I've never cared that much about "uniqueness" anyway. So long as it provokes the same emotional reaction in me, I'm in.

As you said, though, certainly "different strokes for different folks". It's not as if the show is all that popular in English-speaking circles to begin with, and there are probably a lot of cultural and other reasons for that. It's very interesting to me. Perhaps your point of view can help contribute to that puzzle.
Old 2007-09-05, 22:05   Link #49
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
"different strokes for different folks"
Ara, ara.

After all, she's an Undine. Hazukashii ga, totemo suteki, ne? Sukebei serifu kinshi. Ahahaha...

(Somebody, shoot me now.)

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-09-05 at 22:33.
Old 2007-09-05, 22:46   Link #50
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Ara, ara. ... After all, she's an Undine. Hazukashii ga, totemo suteki, ne? Sukebei serifu kinshi. Ahahaha...
And it was a quote from you to begin with! Depraved! With dirty minds like this, maybe it's a good thing they don't leave things more open to interpretation!
Old 2007-09-06, 03:21   Link #51
Yakhobian
とは
*Fansubber

Show your true love of Aria and wear one of these t-shirts:

ぷいにゅー❤

On second thought...
Old 2007-09-06, 04:35   Link #52
G. Zeus
Cafe Alpha customer

Have him hold that instead and you'd be hitting two birds with one stone. Or, better yet, somebody could Photoshop Aria's face and place it over Sachiel's mask. For maximum effect, put gaping holes where his blue eyes should be.

[sidenote]
Just went through the earlier posts again and WanderingKnight mentioned something about promotion or succession. What was the reason again why primas have no gloves? Was it because their hands had enough callus or because they were skilled enough with the oar that callus no longer forms?

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Last edited by G. Zeus; 2007-09-06 at 08:36.
Old 2007-09-06, 09:03   Link #53
Yakhobian
とは
*Fansubber

Quote:
[sidenote]
Just went through the earlier posts again and WanderingKnight mentioned something about promotion or succession. What was the reason again why primas have no gloves? Was it because their hands had enough callus or because they were skilled enough with the oar that callus no longer forms?
IIRC, it's the latter reason. They've mastered rowing the gondola so that it doesn't require the amount of effort that would create calluses and blisters.
Old 2007-09-10, 12:41   Link #54
X10A_Freedom

The art,
Took a fart.

The story itself was great and I cannot wait for Origination.

However, the characters looked absolutely horrendous with face deformations, characters not looking their age etc. The bigger eyes and the stronger shade of green used for Akari makes me want to throw up.

I sure hope Origination doesn't use the same art!
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-10, 12:48   Link #55
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
^ Well, to each his own. I don't particularly like this style, but as I said before, the constant switching of designs gives the franchise a different type of freshness.

At any rate, the designs for the Origination are out already, and they're closer to the Animation styles (IIRC).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-10, 14:03   Link #56
X10A_Freedom

Each to their own! I'm unconciously comparing them to the Manga as well (Alice-chan looks sooooo cute in the manga)...gotta love Book Off in Japan!

Closer to Animation is something I'm glad to hear.

Another thing I forgot...Alicia's voice acting wasn't really up to par in Arietta...wonder if the actress had a bad throat or something...
X10A_Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 15:27   Link #57
Ashlotte
Clockwork

No wonder I couldnt find this thread...Wonder why its still in unaired...

Oh well either way as per usual I never have any real way to describe an episode (Or an OVA in this case) of Aria...I just loved it through and through. That might make me a blind fan, but so be it.

Greatest stress reliever i've ever come across this show...

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-15, 20:49   Link #58
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Ah... yappari the best way to wind down your week is to watch an episode of ARIA. An excellent episode. One of the better episodes, in fact (I tend to grade nostalgic episodes higher). I didn't mind the new faces that much (Akari seems slightly off occasionally). Younger Grandma seemed rather trim and fashionable

Although, the most memorable part was
Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-16, 03:50   Link #59
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Watched it.

For most of the latter half, I kept thinking "Yuri vibes, yuril vibes!"
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-16, 04:44   Link #60
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Just watched it, it was great, just like a slightly longer ep of Aria. Especially with Akari's dream of being a prima in the beginning, I thought they are skipping ahead in this ova, and from the OVA's title I guess if they every show Akari's kouhai she'll probably be named Arietta.

I think some of you are over analyzing this series, it's just meant to be a calm and relaxing series, so they explained everything so the viewers don't have to give it much thought, just sit back and enjoy. If I want to watch something that'll pick my brains I'd watch Higurashi Kai.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, hal, ova, science fiction, seinen, sequel, slice of life