AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2003-11-10, 16:52   Link #1
|Aion|
Hajime

Send a message via AIM to |Aion| Send a message via Yahoo to |Aion|
3x3 Eyes (OVA)

Is it worth the buy?
I went to animenfo.com and rating was 8.4/10,so i guess it cant be that bad.
And last whats the plot of the story?
|Aion| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-10, 19:14   Link #2
suires
たこ焼き名人

I have bought the both "3X3 Eyes" series on DVD only because I like Megumi Hayashibara, the voice actress of the main character.

The story itself is pretty well-designed. If you like monster/youma type of anime, you will like this one.
suires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-10, 19:17   Link #3
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Well I can't say eveyone will like it but I really liked it. On animenfo their are 2 short OVA series, 3X3 Eyes and 3X3 Eyes Shin, but you'll have to read the magna to get the whole story. Otherwise I thought the animation quality was kinda good for its age. As for the plot the animenfo summary sums it up quite nicely without giving away any big spoilers. I highy recommend it to anyone who likes the mystical demon kinda themes. Oh yeah theirs quite alot of blood in this series especially the second ova series.
Old 2003-11-10, 19:24   Link #4
Flash_Squirrel
F&C Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to Flash_Squirrel Send a message via AIM to Flash_Squirrel
3x3Eyes OAV is designed to be a manifest for the manga, which is a lot longer than the series.

If you plan to buy it, be sure to have enough money to check he manga too, because the OAV will leave you with a lot of unanswered questions.

As for the rating on animenfo, NEVER check a rating there, its useless, there is no real rating going there anymore, they just post to piss other users off = not good.

Is the OAV good? Its so short that I dont know what to say, but based on the manga, the OAV seems pretty "fast", with a really weightless plot (=with no real char development or side stories.)
My tip? Buy the manga. ^^
Flash_Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 20:02   Link #5
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Talking

Hi, another great series. I have all 40 Volumes of the manga and really rate it highly.
It features interesting characters and slices of the action/romance/horror genres blending them together excellently. IMHO the main storyline drags a bit until volume 12 or so of the manga (this is the author, Yuzo Takada-san finding his feet) so don't be put off if you think things aren't really going anywhere before then (including the Anime series storyarc) the later storyline really makes up for this.
Although it could be argued in some places it falls foul of some cliches, this is true of most major works that have long runs and can't count against it too highly. Even you too will be able to recognize the names of the (three) main characters:

"PAIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"YAKUMOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!"
"SANJIYANNNNNN!!!!!!!!!"

They need to win an award for the most name shouting characters ever (due to their predicaments).....

<Yes they even out point Kaneda and Tetsuo >

There was talk of an anime TV series version of Sazan Eyes a couple of years back which would be excellent, however the subject content was deemed as too violent to air on TV at the time. However comparing 3x3 Eyes to some of the more disturbing or graphic series that have aired recently there is always hope that someone might have the sense to greenlight such a project which IMHO is many times less violent than a lot we have seen in the recent past.
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-13, 20:13   Link #6
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
I haven't seen the OAV but I can tell you to read the manga, I've read untill number 31 and it's really great.Of course, it is about action and monster, but it also has nice charachter development, some romance, and quite an interesting world that has been developed through the serie.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-13, 22:42   Link #7
Keops
Pixel artist

I recently got the chance to see the 7 3x3 Eyes OVAs and I must admit I did enjoy them a lot. I like Yuzo Takada's work, with all the mythological or legendary elements (I love Blue Seed), and I especially enjoyed the music. Gosh, the soundtrack for all the OVAs is really outstanding.

I haven't seen the manga yet, but I agree with most comments here, it's kinda short and it leaves a lot of unanswered questions.

Ja ne!
Keops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 01:17   Link #8
|Aion|
Hajime

Send a message via AIM to |Aion| Send a message via Yahoo to |Aion|
same here,just got done watchin them today,i liked the first 3 more than the last 4,you know once that girl loses her memory.They definetly need to make a few more eps of this.
|Aion| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 16:32   Link #9
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

hah, the anime BARELY covers the first five volumes or so of the manga...it gets pretty interesting after that
Kyuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-14, 23:09   Link #10
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
hah, the anime BARELY covers the first five volumes or so of the manga...it gets pretty interesting after that
"Ide yo Koan Yaa!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Sorry I've always wanted to say that
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 07:47   Link #11
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
REVIEW TIME (and super necro)

This review involves the entire series, including its sequel, Densetsu.
3 x 3 Eyes is an old action/horror/drama series that involves a supernatural girl and an immortal male teenager in their quest to find a way to live a normal life.

ART SECTION: 6/10 [Simple and elegant]
General Artwork 2/2
Character Figures 1/2
Backgrounds 1/2
Animation 1/2
Visual Effects 1/2

The general artwork is very good back in the days it was made. It has an occult concept, as there are several gruesome monsters in it, backed up with ancient ruins and bloody action that back then could only be surpassed by Urotsukidoji in its graphic gore (but don’t expect any sex). Everything else is out of date of course and looks too jerky today but it is still an above average production. It is nothing you haven’t seen in modern series of the same kind; the depiction of cities, schools and ruins is lukewarm and the animation is choppy. But it still manages to maintain somewhat distinctive main character figures; I will always recognize Pai thanks to her wide forehead and third eye, lol.

SOUND SECTION: 6/10
Voice Acting 2/3
Music Themes 2/4
Sound Effects 2/3

Nothing to write about the sounds as I forgot them all pretty soon. Decent voice acting and forgettable music themes and sound effects. Just a bit above average.

STORY SECTION: 5/10 [Demons, immortals, satanic rituals and … Japanese schoolgirls]
General Scenario 1/2
Pacing 2/2
Side Stories/Extra Spices 0/2
Believability/Reasoning/Realism 1/2
Conclusion 1/2

The story in general is nothing special and it’s so small in duration that can be described as followed:
Spoiler:

It is linear and straightforward focusing on only the two main characters but at least there are no fillers. All the supernatural things in the story are simply explained as being “magic”. If they were technology, they would need some serious explaining; so, they are half-baked. We must accept a series where demons are roaming free and of mystic civilizations being hidden from the modern world, which was kind of hard for me to accept. As for the conclusion, there is one in the SEQUEL. And it is a lukewarm “happy ending” one; nothing extraordinary.

CHARACTER SECTION: 7/10 [Unexploited potential]
Presence 1/2
Personality 1/2
Backdrop 1/2
Development 2/2
Catharsis 2/2

They characters are completely clichéd with today’s standards; a butchy super chick with issues, a nice-guy dork protector who loves her and a typical megalomaniac villain who plans to kill/destroy the world. Sounds familiar? The only thing that they are worth remembering is the typical-but-never-boring dramatic phrase “I want to live a normal life with the one I love than rule the world alone”. It is also just a two-person series as all the support characters are simply not doing anything to affect the plot and are there just to fill the background. But it is true that the main duo gets a wonderful focus that manages to captivate you, despite its simplicity. By the end of the show you really feel that they developed and even found catharsis.

VALUE SECTION: 6/10 [Famous as an old cult b-movie]
Historical Value 1/3
Rewatchability 1/3
Memorability 4/4

It beats most action mini-series of the eighties and is quite famous amongst hardcore otakus. It is otherwise hardly rewatchable as it is reminiscent of a hundred other newer (and mostly more entertaining) titles.

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 5/10
Easy to watch, even easier to forget. Just because it’s a cult title, it doesn’t automatically become very enjoyable.

VERDICT: 6/10
Past a collector’s urge to have every anime classic ever made, it’s nothing special.

SUGGESTION LIST
Similar themed series where a demon-fighting supernatural woman gets a male boy as aid and then falls in love with him:

Fate/Stay Night. Making your wish come true comes second to falling in love.
Busou Renkin. A shallow imitation of Full Metal Alchemist, Bleach and Dragonball Z, all in one.
Shingetsutan Tsukihime. Seeing people’s lifelines is a bitch.
Shakugan no Shana. Treating people as fading flames nobody will remember after they are gone is a bad thing.
Bleach. Transforming swords were never so cool.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 07:58   Link #12
IronWarrior
KenshiWarrior

3x3 Eyes is such a classic, it's one of the best Animes from the time it was released.

Shame it didn't last very long.
Old 2011-02-10, 13:09   Link #13
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
There was no internet back then and after there was we got too spoiled on those titles in the suggestion list.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-11, 20:15   Link #14
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
I have this on VHS. Indeed it's a pity that we never had more sequels, or a full series of it. It is great, and so much material to base on. And it's so much better than Blue Seed, perhaps it was too bloody for the actual market to make a full series of it. I can understand why people don't enjoy it nowadays, but back in the nineties it was awesome, even with the story on the OVA as it was.
Old 2011-02-11, 20:59   Link #15
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
I first watched this when I got 7 years ago and liked it a lot so I dug it out a few days ago and rewatched it again and liked it even better than the 1st time.