AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Vampire Knight

Notices

Old 2008-04-11, 09:28   Link #261
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Unfortunately, us liking the series is not enough. If we would create subforums based on our preferences, i suspect there would be a lot of (inactive) subforums for series that don't have one at the moment. That doesn't mean VK doesn't have a chance at subforum, just some general rumbling from me.

Hum ..thank you ? (would you care to elaborate ? )
lol sorry usually your comments are more blunt and elaborate, the previous comment was kind of silly like you lost your train of thought half way through, not use to seeing that from you.
Old 2008-04-11, 09:52   Link #262
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
lol sorry usually your comments are more blunt and elaborate, the previous comment was kind of silly like you lost your train of thought half way through, not use to seeing that from you.
I would assume you are referring to my "moving on .." comment. I used it to imply i am done discussing the issue, hence i am "moving on". I didn't lose my train of thought
Old 2008-04-11, 10:18   Link #263
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
But Skyfall makes an excellent point... what if Yuuki isn't really a human?
If Skyfall is right and Yuuki isn't human, I hope they explain why she doesn't suffer from the limitations that the other vampires suffer from. (Daylight, bloodlust, etc.)

I don't know if I've said this here or not, but I prefer Kaname over Zero as well. Partly based on looks and partly based on personality.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 10:32   Link #264
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
If Skyfall is right and Yuuki isn't human, I hope they explain why she doesn't suffer from the limitations that the other vampires suffer from. (Daylight, bloodlust, etc.)
None of the vampires in the series seem to suffer from daylight though. The bloodlust is a more tricky subject though, as i already touched upon in my speculation. I have hard time believing it would simply go away with memory loss ... though if we assume a supernaturally inducted memory loss (which is highly possible in the series i believe, and i refuse to think she lost her memory "just like that"), i might as well go on a limb and speculate someone "sealed" away her vampire side along with the memories accompanying it, which would be everything prior to 10 years ago. (Would tie together with the scene in OP where we see her drinking blood from some vial)

... yes, seems rather far fetched

My other thought was that she could be an artificial human/doll/something of the sort, which would tie together with the whole of ED. The problem i have with this one is that i am assuming (on no basis) that an artificially created human would be immune to vampire bite for some reason. Still begs the question why would someone create her 10 years ago and then abandon in a snowstorm (though there can be a number of circumstances for that).

... or i might be wrong. We shall see, but i am not expecting her to be a regular human.
Old 2008-04-11, 10:34   Link #265
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Or maybe vampires don't die in sunlight in this world, as obviously Zero is showing vampire symptoms and yet not dying a horrible death. Not to mention it was still daylight right after the OP, and there's a bunch of vampires again, not dying a horrible death.

But yeah, bloodlust. lol, they'll have to explain that one. Maybe she's really a doll? I dunno lol.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 10:39   Link #266
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
I would assume you are referring to my "moving on .." comment. I used it to imply i am done discussing the issue, hence i am "moving on". I didn't lose my train of thought
Ahh ok it just looked weird when i read it.

It doesnt seem the vampires in Vampire Knight suffer from the extrem allergic reaction to U.V. rays. But im sure it still plays a factor in their everyday life style like weakening them. It would take a awful lot for a vampire to quell or even suppress their blood lust, i mean its a part of their life its like humans having to eat we cant just shut that off.
Old 2008-04-11, 10:51   Link #267
LKK

Quote:
It doesnt seem the vampires in Vampire Knight suffer from the extrem allergic reaction to U.V. rays. But im sure it still plays a factor in their everyday life style like weakening them.
I agree. Sunlight has to affect the vampires in some manner. Otherwise, what would be the point of having them attend classes at night? If sunlight had no effect whatsoever, they could attend the day classes like the humans do.

I have seen in other Japanese vampire manga and anime that it's only bright direct sunlight that affects vampires. Shade, sunset, sunrise --- indirect sunlight sources don't affect them at all or at least not as much. VK could be going with this version. But that still wouldn't explain why Yuuki can withstand direct sunlight while the other vamps can't. (Assuming that Zero in the early stages of transforming into a vamp would explain his sunlight tolerance.)

Skyfall, I had forgotten you'd mentioned the bloodlust aspect. You're right. If Yuuki is a vampire, that needs to be explained as well.

Yuuki as a doll is a possible theory but not as likely in my mind. I think the scenes of her a doll / marionette in the ED are more metaphorical than literal.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2008-04-11, 10:53   Link #268
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
I have seen in other Japanese vampire manga and anime that it's only bright direct sunlight that affects vampires. Shade, sunset, sunrise --- indirect sunlight sources don't affect them at all or at least not as much.
It's not just in Japanese anime/manga, what you've mentioned is the aspects of a traditional vampire.. It's only right that we see that in Vampire Knight.
Old 2008-04-11, 10:54   Link #269
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Or maybe vampires don't die in sunlight in this world, as obviously Zero is showing vampire symptoms and yet not dying a horrible death. Not to mention it was still daylight right after the OP, and there's a bunch of vampires again, not dying a horrible death.

But yeah, bloodlust. lol, they'll have to explain that one. Maybe she's really a doll? I dunno lol.
A lot of modern vampires these days are portrayed that they can stand sunlight, but they just tend to dislike it (probably because their skin can get cancer more easily from the UV sunrays etc).

Zero is a halfbreed (or so I would like to think) ~ he might have more resistance towards sunlight compared to normal vampires. Though really, in this universe it could be very well that all vampires don't suffer from the sun's rays (they are free to make up rules for vampires as the go along).

Here's a thought. The reason why Yuki didn't turn vampire from having her blood sampled by "whatshisname" could be because vampires can choose who they want to turn into vampires? Another modern myth for vampires is that they inject their blood to the victim to turn them into vampires, maybe the sole act of sucking doesn't count.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 10:58   Link #270
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's not just in Japanese anime/manga, what you've mentioned is the aspects of a traditional vampire.. It's only right that we see that in Vampire Knight.
That may be. I don't doubt you. The bulk of my knowledge about vampiric lore comes mostly from manga and anime which I thought had some differences from Western sources. (Prior to encountering vampires in manga & anime, I didn't read or watch much about vampires since I'm not really into them per se.)

Old 2008-04-11, 11:00   Link #271
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
A
Here's a thought. The reason why Yuki didn't turn vampire from having her blood sampled by "whatshisname" could be because vampires can choose who they want to turn into vampires? Another modern myth for vampires is that they inject their blood to the victim to turn them into vampires, maybe the sole act of sucking doesn't count.
That scene was very misleading because the camera angel changed quickly. Hie licked her palm where she injured herself jumping from the tree. But the next scene where he has his fangs close to Yuki you can see him turn his head slightly to drag his fang across her neck, he purposely scratched her with his fang he didnt bite her. This does not count as a bite, he would have to pierced her skin with his fangs and drink her blood.
Old 2008-04-11, 11:45   Link #272
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
With Miyano Mamoru as Zero he'll probably grow on me, like I said I already prefer anime!zero over manga!zero. But Ill always like Kaname more, now I just have to share him with Sage XD
I also prefer anime!Zero to manga!Zero, maybe because Zero's character is better portrayed in the anime (at least to me).

Who said I'm sharing?

Darnit, it's going to have to be a three-way split for Kaname - LKK just grabbed a piece as well.

Quote:
I agree. Sunlight has to affect the vampires in some manner. Otherwise, what would be the point of having them attend classes at night? If sunlight had no effect whatsoever, they could attend the day classes like the humans do.

(Assuming that Zero in the early stages of transforming into a vamp would explain his sunlight tolerance.)
Even if sunlight has no effect on them, having them attend the same class as humans wouldn't be such a good idea - it's like throwing the wolves into a herd of ignorant sheep. I think vampires also prefer the night because their type hunt at night.

Regarding Zero transforming, it took him four years to do so? Wow, didn't know turning into a vampire has such a long lag period - or could that be due to his heritage that allowed him to resist for this long?

Hmm, this is going to be one of those rare animes where 95% of the anime scenes occurs at night (at least for ones I've seen so far). XD

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 12:23   Link #273
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Nope Which is why so many fangirls like vampires
too bad i'm a guy...

Quote:
while the sunlight doesn't affect them, you hear comments like "its so bright out" and "i was sleeping" during the daylight hours. so day has the effect night has on humans. like we can't see as well, and we generally get tired. (unless you're a college student..)
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 12:59   Link #274
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
1) to protect them from fangirls

2) i assume its not a very safe idea to keep the two species together for prolonged periods of time. Kaname might be able to control himself, but what about others? Yuuki already got to feel Aido's fang (if only for a bit), and if her position as the headmaster's "daughter", Zero's close friend and Kaname's "love interest" was not enough impending danger to override his natural instincts, i don't think many things would short of direct force.

And it was mentioned that this order (taking pills instead of human blood) is being "enforced" by the Pure Blood vampires (which Kaname seems to be), so many are probably not stellar about the idea to begin with. Better not to dandle a piece of ham in front of a starving lion.

Quote:
I have seen in other Japanese vampire manga and anime that it's only bright direct sunlight that affects vampires. Shade, sunset, sunrise --- indirect sunlight sources don't affect them at all or at least not as much. VK could be going with this version. But that still wouldn't explain why Yuuki can withstand direct sunlight while the other vamps can't. (Assuming that Zero in the early stages of transforming into a vamp would explain his sunlight tolerance.)

Skyfall, I had forgotten you'd mentioned the bloodlust aspect. You're right. If Yuuki is a vampire, that needs to be explained as well.
It was morning in start of the episode, and if the shading on characters is anything to go by, they were indeed exposed to sunlight. I am certain it would affect them to some degree, but within universe of VK it might well be very little. At any rate its clear they don't lit up like matches when exposed to sunlight and apparently not much discomfort is involved. (Else they would leave while its dark).

Zero has been shown to have fangs, and if you look closely at the bathroom scene when he runs out you can see his eye is red as well. From what i see thats no different from any other vampire in the series. Plus the attack on his family (which is likely when he got bitten) happened several years ago. More than enough time to "complete the transformation"

As for bloodlust it depends on what type the memory loss is. I think we can safely assume it was not random, thus someone is responsible for it with specific goal in mind. If she were a casual human i don't see much point, thus we can assume it was performed so she would exactly forget where she hails from. If thats the case and she indeed is a vampire, we have the possibility that whomever executed the forced amnesia might have cast a seal or something on, thus sealing away her true self, whatever that might be. To further the vampire theory - we know Zero hates vampires with passion. In the OP while she is drinking blood from the vial we see Zero in the background firing his gun in her direction.

Quote:
Yuuki as a doll is a possible theory but not as likely in my mind. I think the scenes of her a doll / marionette in the ED are more metaphorical than literal.
Hm ...indeed, its quite possible the ED is one big metaphor, but this brings me to next point on the "doll" theory side - in the ED there is a key hanging around her neck. Key for what ? If we assume thats a methapor, it might refer to Yuuki herself being a key to something. If we go by the "created human" theory which also explains her memory lapse, it could be possible she was created for a specific reason a ... sacrifice for some ritual maybe ? She may well be a "key" to something significant in someone's plans, and given the mood of ED i don't think the "key" is meant for Kaname's heart

Or i might well be crazy, who knows. But i am fairly certain that her memory loss and little hints in the OP/ED and ep1 (the bite), and even the headmaster taking her in just like that are just for the show, so something is going on.

Quote:
That scene was very misleading because the camera angel changed quickly. Hie licked her palm where she injured herself jumping from the tree. But the next scene where he has his fangs close to Yuki you can see him turn his head slightly to drag his fang across her neck, he purposely scratched her with his fang he didnt bite her. This does not count as a bite, he would have to pierced her skin with his fangs and drink her blood.
He did bite her hand though with one fang. I don't think you need to specifically bite one in the neck. Even Yuuki herself commented that " if this was like legends, i would have turned in to a vampire" ... to which i would refer to my previous speculation:
"And consider this - if she indeed is a vampire (or a "doll"), that means the headmaster has been hiding the truth from her for various reasons (perhaps he wants her to live a normal life ? Perhaps her vampire self was so dangerous it had to be sealed? To protect herself from her past?). Now, given the environment she lives in, he must have considered the possibility of such accruing. We can also assume that all she knows about vampires as the "truth" has been told by the headmaster. If he indeed wants to conceal her true identity (be it a vampire or a "doll"), him telling her lies (to put it bluntly) to provide explanation for such situations is not unimaginable.

... or i might be completely in the left field, providing good material for the manga readers to laugh at. Who knows:"
Old 2008-04-11, 13:58   Link #275
SkoolRumble4Ya

I just watched the episode last night. This show is on my list to watch anime for the spring. I like the drawing and the characters so far. Why do the vampires go to school at night when the sunlight doesn't even affect them at all. I wonder what their weaknesses are?
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 14:26   Link #276
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoolRumble4Ya View Post
I just watched the episode last night. This show is on my list to watch anime for the spring. I like the drawing and the characters so far. Why do the vampires go to school at night when the sunlight doesn't even affect them at all. I wonder what their weaknesses are?
They do it to be isolated, since they "mix in" with the non-vampires due to several issues (bloodlust, secret identities and such, their work, etc.)

And no, vampires aren't affected by sunlight in Vampire Knight, though they are generally nocturnal. (It's not really a spoiler.)
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 14:38   Link #277
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:

He did bite her hand though with one fang. I don't think you need to specifically bite one in the neck. Even Yuuki herself commented that " if this was like legends, i would have turned in to a vampire" ... to which i would refer to my previous speculation:
"And consider this - if she indeed is a vampire (or a "doll"), that means the headmaster has been hiding the truth from her for various reasons (perhaps he wants her to live a normal life ? Perhaps her vampire self was so dangerous it had to be sealed? To protect herself from her past?). Now, given the environment she lives in, he must have considered the possibility of such accruing. We can also assume that all she knows about vampires as the "truth" has been told by the headmaster. If he indeed wants to conceal her true identity (be it a vampire or a "doll"), him telling her lies (to put it bluntly) to provide explanation for such situations is not unimaginable.

... or i might be completely in the left field, providing good material for the manga readers to laugh at. Who knows:"
The problem is which vampire legends are they using they seem to be using several different sources and a few original things. You are on the right track with a few of your theories, the headmaster is hiding some information. But i cant say anymore because it will be a spoilers and i dont want to mention any i want people enjoy speculating. But i will say this

Spoiler for For Skyfall/Not really a spoiler but will help add to your speculation.:
Old 2008-04-11, 15:11   Link #278
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

I personally wonder whether Headmaster Cross is a vampire himself. If not then how did he end up being so closely acquainted with Kaname - and possibly the Clan Family themselves? What are his connections to all this because we can clearly see that the relationship between him and Kaname appears to go a ways back - so much so that Kaname would actually trust him enough to hand Yuuki over to his care. Also, I wonder if Kaname's insistence on co-existence between vampires and humans stem from whatever happens before that snowy day - is it for Yuuki's sake? or is there another reason?

Ichichou (spelling? ) did warn Kaname that there are some vampires in the school who are "listening to others". Interesting. Plus, he also said that the others are enjoying themselves here - then where were they originally from?

[/TH][/TR][/table]
PreSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 15:42   Link #279
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
I personally wonder whether Headmaster Cross is a vampire himself. If not then how did he end up being so closely acquainted with Kaname - and possibly the Clan Family themselves? What are his connections to all this because we can clearly see that the relationship between him and Kaname appears to go a ways back - so much so that Kaname would actually trust him enough to hand Yuuki over to his care. Also, I wonder if Kaname's insistence on co-existence between vampires and humans stem from whatever happens before that snowy day - is it for Yuuki's sake? or is there another reason?:
Spoiler:

I finally caught up to the manga....so I think I understand what the imagery of the ED theme of Yuki laying there makes.
Manji Midou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 15:50   Link #280
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
I am still sketchy about what to think of Kaname. They say that it is too good to be true sometimes, and he is one of those examples. The big question is indeed what he is trying to achieve by cooperating with humans. Can I really expect him to have a heart of gold? Interesting that you thought that Cross may also be a vampire. Though I see it as unlikely as a gut feelings. But he does know a lot and is just hiding it behind that cheerful personality. Methinks sooner or later some vampire group will rebel. Then we will see what Kaname's true intentions are.

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote