AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-06, 19:34   Link #1
NeoSam

The Novel and Manga of Haruhi Suzumiya

涼宮ハルヒ

Suzumiya Haruhi is originally a novel thats serialized in the seinen(young men's) novel magazine The Sneaker (the same magazine that serialized the seinen novel Trinity Blood).
For now there are 8 volumes released of this novel, here are the covers:

The illustrator of the novel is Itou Noiji (the same illustrator of the seinen novel Shakugan no SHANA)

A manga based on the novel is serialized in the shounen manga magazine Shounen Ace.
There is 1 volume released of this manga, here are the covers:

This manga has ended with one volume, read why on this page:
Suzumiya Haruhi anime thread.

Genre: Seinen, Comedy.

Volume 8 of the seinen novel will be released om 1/5/2006 (May 1st, 2006). --> cover of volume 8 got added above with the other covers of the novel.
A new Suzumiya Haruhi manga is currently serializing in Shounen Ace magazine and the first volume of it will be released on 26/4/2006.

Here is the first volume and the second volume of the new manga:

An anime based on the novel started recently, site of the anime:
http://www.haruhi.tv/
http://lantis-net.com/haruhi/

And also the Suzumiya Haruhi anime thread.

Anyway this thread is for discussing the novel and manga of Suzumiya Haruhi.

Last edited by NeoSam; 2006-06-15 at 07:04.
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 03:02   Link #2
NeoSam

Yay thanks Moe group for the first 7 volumes of the novel
Old 2006-04-13, 02:26   Link #3
MagikalFly

what's going on? I see chapter 1-7 of manga available but earlier, there was a volume 1, i think, of manga also available. Both seemed real but very different art. what's up with that?
MagikalFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 04:08   Link #4
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagikalFly
what's going on? I see chapter 1-7 of manga available but earlier, there was a volume 1, i think, of manga also available. Both seemed real but very different art. what's up with that?
If you looked at the first page of the anime thread (also known as the peaceful times before the anime aired and brought with it a swarm of new fans), you'll know that there are two different manga adaptations for Suzumiya Haruhi.

The first manga adaptation, which serialized on the comic magazine Shonen Ace back in 2004, was drawn by Mizuno Makoto. Unfortunately, the manga was received poorly among the fans because both the drawing style and the storytelling were too different from the original novel. The manga was cancelled after only a single tankoubon release in September of 2004 (The cover is shown in Neosam's post above). For most people, this manga has been swept into kurorekishi (dark history). In other words, "it never existed".

The second (current) manga adaptation is drawn by Tsuganogaku, and began its serialization on Shonen Ace back in November of 2005, and is currently still ongoing. The first tankoubon (volume) of the manga is due to be released on April 26, 2006.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 11:36   Link #5
sophismata
いいえ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagikalFly
Basically, the manga has only recently started. While you may be able to find some material referring to an older manga, this "older manga" never actually existed. Anything you find that references it is just hearsay and lies... hearsay and lies.

If you were to look at this non-existant manga, you would see why it could not possibly exist (it was that bad, apparantly).
sophismata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 13:32   Link #6
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

One thing to love about the novel is that you have to put in 3x the amount of narritive descriptions to captivate the audience, which means that Kyon gets quite a workout and subsequently his lines in the anime becomes that much stronger as he is both a narriator and an actor. We miss tidbits in the anime for obvious reasons... although not much since KyoAni handles the source material very well.

Good thing though is that the anime's character designs are so good that I don't see the 2 as seperate entities.
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-13, 16:02   Link #7
melange
Reset, reset, reset...

In fact I find the anime heightens certain details mentioned in passing in the novel... like Haruhi's mesmerizing hair toss and just like how the contrast between a Tomo-gag and a Osaka-gag which was achieved in the Azumanga anime added hilarilty some of the cuts from character to character (the hyper-genki Haruhi -> teary-eyed Mikuru -> 'why-am-i-here Kyon -> completely motionless Yuki) really heightened the disjointedness to even more humorous levels.

"Every man has two countries, his own and France" - Attributed to Thomas Jefferson
melange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 10:47   Link #8
mp3chan
Junior, I guess

Is there any info about how many volume the novel will be?
mp3chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 14:49   Link #9
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
does anyone know who the author is?
Old 2006-04-14, 14:57   Link #10
mp3chan
Junior, I guess

Nagaru Tanigawa
mp3chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-14, 15:38   Link #11
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

cheers. added.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mel...aruhi_Suzumiya

Old 2006-04-14, 21:03   Link #12
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

hey, was Haruhi ever Serialized in Shounen Ace, the manga version?

That's what i got for the Wiki,

edit: oh hang on, you did mention it. in the first post. sorry. ;^^

oh but was the manga done by Kaoru Mori?

She's been listed as the mangaka for manga haruhi in wiki.
Old 2006-04-15, 03:17   Link #13
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
A manga based on the novel is serialized in the shounen manga magazine Shounen Ace.
For now there is 1 volume released of this manga, here are the covers:

This manga has ended with one volume, read why on this page:
Suzumiya Haruhi anime thread.

Genre: Seinen, Comedy.
I got ahold of this volume recently and the first thing I noticed was the difference of art between this artist and Itou Noiji's art. Noiji's art is of course far better than the artist of the manga.
I wanted to talk about the content, but I'm unable to, since I don't understand a damn thing of what's written there, but I can say that it is interesting and funny just from looking at the drawings.
ragnarokr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 03:40   Link #14
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Since NoSanninWa didn't like the novel translation talks in the Q&A thread, I guess I'll post my reply here (I already typed it, might as well post it ^^; ).
====================
Quote:
Originally Posted by melange
I agree with Sushi-Y. Some of those sentences/concepts in all the denpa talk don't even feel like they belong in a 'light' novel.
It's not that bad all the time though, I only listed a few that happened to be particularly woozy to demonstrate my point. If you have enough patience, it's not impossible.

"次元振動周期を位相変換し重力波に置き換える作用を持つ力場を体表面に発生させた"
"I have caused a force field to occur on the surface of her body that carrys the effect of converting the phase of dimensional oscillication cycles and altering them into gravitational waves "

Oh yeah, I should probably hold back on typing Japanese in my posts here, apparently, I'm getting flamed on 2ch (of all places) for being some kind of elitist or something, ouch.

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-04-15 at 06:00.
Sushi-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 03:53   Link #15
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
"I have caused a force field to occur on the surface of her body that carrys the effect of coverting the phase of dimensional oscillication cycles and altering them into gravitational waves "
I am soo tempted to use that as a test for translator recruitment... Reminds me of crustol's old "kanji test."
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 04:04   Link #16
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Since NoSanninWa didn't like the novel translation talks in the Q&A thread, I guess I'll post my reply here (I already typed it, might as well post it ^^; ).
====================

It's not that bad all the time though, I only listed a few that happened to be particularly woozy to demonstrate my point. If you have enough patience, it's not impossible.

"I have caused a force field to occur on the surface of her body that carrys the effect of coverting the phase of dimensional oscillication cycles and altering them into gravitational waves "

Oh yeah, I should probably hold back on typing Japanese in my posts here, apparently, I'm getting flamed on 2ch (of all places) for being some kind of elitist or something, ouch.

Gimme a break.... on 2chan? (refrains from labeling)
eh.. as long as you translate or call it a test, I'm fine with it. Does that translate as "coverting" or "inverting"?

@NoSanninWa: apologies.. I hadn't even noticed we'd drifted off frequency in Q&A.

Gosh, I can't even remember what I posted now relating to translation ... guess it wasn't critical. Something about ordering the books and a reference to Dan Ackroyd-style amazing monologues ala Ghostbusters.
Old 2006-04-15, 06:09   Link #17
sophismata
いいえ

Quote:
Really? How does that work?

You're work is awesome, like Kyon, and helpful, like Mikuru. Gotta love similies.
sophismata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 08:57   Link #18
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:

lololol.
well, if they got a problem with you on these forum boards, they should come here and complain.

who cares what they say.

your translating some holy Haruhi information for us, unlike them lot on 2ch.

For that we thank you.

If that makes you elitist....well... Say your families are ninja's, then "Gaijin smash" them.

they will understand.

Old 2006-04-16, 17:21   Link #19
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

It is very amusing that 2ch will even bother paying any attention to oversea board discussions such as this one and to go on and criticize on the subject matter. Moreover, why would they voice out such oppositions outside of the domain which the discussions are being hold?

At any rate, I am going to totally go off tangent but...
Spoiler:
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 18:07   Link #20
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
It is very amusing that 2ch will even bother paying any attention to oversea board discussions such as this one and to go on and criticize on the subject matter. Moreover, why would they voice out such oppositions outside of the domain which the discussions are being hold?
I have no idea, maybe its the "Haruhi effect"?

Either way its very strange, and absolutely unwarranted, I mean i might be a barbarian gaijin, but insulting any members on our forum for no reason means WA-! sorry, i meant it's very rude. We don't insult them for being selffish for not helping us fellow fans to share in the love that is Haruhi.

Quote:
At any rate, I am going to totally go off tangent but...
Spoiler:
well, quite easily since...ah...well it's been posted in one of the spoiler, so i'll let you do the rest. lets just say that Yuki can't "supress" merely conceal the results. And she isn't the only one able to "clean up" after Haruhi.

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga