AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Boku wa Tomodachi...

Notices

View Poll Results: Boku wa Tomodachi... - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 20 24.39%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 31.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 14.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 18.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 6.10%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.22%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.66%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-16, 18:21   Link #61
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
The big Yozora 'reveal' was a huge disappointment, especially compared with the way the manga handled it. That scene should have been done in an intimate space with just those two. The way it was done in the anime felt like an awkward greeting session instead.
I thought it was supposed to be an awkward greeting session. And since this is Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai, I bet that by next episode, the reveal's aftermath will just be the two realizing that nothing's really changed.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2011-12-16, 20:32   Link #62
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Nice "Kirino and friends" cameo at 4:30

At first Yozora didn't want to go to the matsuri, but when everyone else went, she didn't want to be left out and came with the excuse of eating takoyaki.

After eating takoyaki, she tried to ruin everyone's fun again, just as she did with the pool excursion - which didn't surprise me in the least. This time however, as it's done face-to-face and not remotely via mobile phone, Sena can eventually convince her to stay.

With the yukata - at first Yozora, green of envy, hits Kodaka because he likes how Sena looks in the yukata. Then however she doesn't go to wear one, not even as he compliments her how good she would look it it. That was just incredibly stupid. Sena, on the other hand, scores with Kodaka, and he even tells her his intimate secret about why he doesn't dye his hair.

On the matsuri, everyone has fun. Rika's epic shooting win's her an X360 - I just wonder how she's so good at it, as she's holed up in her room all the time...

Sena and Yozora seem to have fun competing with the matsuri attractions, even if Yozora doesn't want to accept to have lost.

The fireworks at the end were nice as well, with Yozora's usual nasty remarks about Sena. Once again though, the karma of justice bites her in the ass and sets her hair on fire.

At first she's angry at losing her long hair and doesn't come to the club - but then she apparently decides on "look, I wanted to cut it off anyway" and has it cut short. This finally leads to Kodaka recognising her from 10 years back.
I really hope Yozora's trolling will stop now, but somehow I think it won't change much, if anything.
Old 2011-12-16, 22:20   Link #63
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Kobato in a kimono
Old 2011-12-17, 00:11   Link #64
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Were the creators trying to hint that Yozora was seriously bullied in the past with her reaction to the water thing, or is she just *puts on sunglasses* being a wet paper bag?

Although, I agree that this episode is rather something of a directorial fail. Scenes that should have been much more powerful fall flat, the scenes emphasizing everyone's friendship go through as if they're on autopilot, and the all-important scene at the end is handled very weakly. The content, however, is quite nice.
Old 2011-12-17, 03:53   Link #65
VVolf
夜空派

Eh...a 6/10.

For the ground-shattering bombshell that everyone was expecting, it couldn't have been delivered more weakly and blandly, almost bordering on "Wait? What? ...Why?".

The "why" is the biggest problem. Why'd Yozora do it? Why now? Because she's losing Kodaka to Sena (in her mind)? Because she's had enough of Kodaka not remembering? Because it was the perfect excuse (burnt hair) to cut it all off? Because the incident of getting dumped on with a bucket of water reminded her of some tragic past?

So many questions, not one was answered (really doubt the final episode is ever going to answer that). All they did was use a few flashback, and thought it was enough.

In the end, the big showdown, the grand finisher, the major twist, the attempted comeback of Yozora, just came off as meh. Heck, even the way Yozora delivered that punch line was hardly emotional enough to move the audience. Granted, the novel didn't build up to that scene any better either, but at least the emotional impact was passable (simply because we had Kodaka's dialog to make it so, which the anime didn't have).

Another reason why they shouldn't have treated this as "an visual adaptation of the novel", but rather as "an anime of Haganai". Don't just blindly follow the novel, improve on it. And for god's sake, stop focusing on the fanservice and more on the characters.

Very, VERY weak episode. Only things good were the part about Kodaka's reasons for not dying his hair and, most importantly, this dysfunctional friendship between Yozora and Sena. They changed from "I can't stand you!" to a "I won't lose to you!" rivalry. A good development, and one that brought out the main theme - friends.

6/10, a new low, if simply because this should be, by all accounts, the ending episode of this season. Sigh...

"Then, I'll treat you as more important than a hundred people. Even if there were a hundred...no, a million or a trillion people, even if it means standing against the entire world, I'll still be your friend no matter what." Taka (Kodaka) to Sora (Yozora), "Past", vol 1.

Last edited by VVolf; 2011-12-17 at 04:47.
Old 2011-12-17, 05:17   Link #66
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

I have yet to read the novel, but for an episode that is meant to humanize what is basically female malevolence and selfisheness personfied, this adaptation has done a very VERY poor job at convicing me of Yozora's supposed decency and humanity.

A few tears and a change of hairsyle?

Sorry, a crocodile also sheds tears, and does that make it decent?

A vicious-rattlesnake that has shed its skin is still a vicious-rattlesnake.
Old 2011-12-17, 06:52   Link #67
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
The big Yozora 'reveal' was a huge disappointment, especially compared with the way the manga handled it.
The manga, the original one that is, hasn't gotten to this point yet.
The 'alternate universe' spin-off Haganai Plus manga had though, but how it got to this part is very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
I have yet to read the novel, but for an episode that is meant to humanize what is basically female malevolence and selfisheness personfied, this adaptation has done a very VERY poor job at convicing me of Yozora's supposed decency and humanity.
I don't think this episode meant to explain her reason yet, just like light novel originally did. For comparison, this 'reunion' part was an *short* epilogue of volume 3 of the light novel. Her reason explained on the next volume.
Old 2011-12-17, 06:56   Link #68
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Funny but I found Yozora's lines quote touching.

But then again I'm particularly weak towards Inoue's dere voice.
Old 2011-12-17, 07:29   Link #69
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It feels to me like people played up the expectations in their heads to the point that nothing would be good enough to meet their standards.

It's okay, I've seen this happen all the time.
Old 2011-12-17, 08:09   Link #70
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
That the little kids actually used the second kanji of their first name as nicknames (respectively 鷹 for Kodaka and 空 for Yozora), how did this not come to me earlier? I feel stupid for not realizing it when the clues have been right in my face all along (notably the monster hunter bit).

It actually touched me, perhaps because I had not expectations to begin with (my mind have not been into anime when the workload have increased as xmas draws near). My only gripes with this episode was the QUALITY here and there.
Old 2011-12-17, 11:00   Link #71
christinemarie
Crazy One

I'll give this episode a perfect 10 for bringing all elements and quickly understand the whole episode with the inclusion of the Ore no Imouto main characters cameo plus the reason why Kodaka didn't dye his hair makes me felt nostalgic as I'm also in the same reason as him, except with the eyes as resemblance.
As for others that are confused with Yozora runs after showered with bucket of water. The only reason I could think of why Yozora left after she gets drenched in water for saving her hair, its actually a wig and about to fall off so she run for it, thought that if it falls everyone would be disappointed on her specially Kodaka since she betrayed him for the second time with the hair extension disguise. Nobody thought about that Yozora's long hair is actually a wig to disguise her true self, it take her a very long time to think about what to do before she finally shows up as Sora.
Old 2011-12-17, 11:16   Link #72
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinemarie View Post
As for others that are confused with Yozora runs after showered with bucket of water. The only reason I could think of why Yozora left after she gets drenched in water for saving her hair, its actually a wig and about to fall off so she run for it, thought that if it falls everyone would be disappointed on her specially Kodaka since she betrayed him for the second time with the hair extension disguise. Nobody thought about that Yozora's long hair is actually a wig to disguise her true self, it take her a very long time to think about what to do before she finally shows up as Sora.
I'll say again; Wet, cold and miserable - it's not rocket science people =_=

What else was she suppose to do? Stay there and catch a cold with part of her hair burnt off?
Old 2011-12-17, 11:33   Link #73
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Oh, so Inoue Maria, the voice of Yozora also does coarse and rough characters like Inugami Kotaro of Negima, no big surprise there....

SPITS COKE ON SCREEN!!

Say WHAT NOW? She is also the voice of sweet, kind and gentle big-sister Chiffon Fairchild of Freezing!?!!?!?!?!?! Has the world gone topsy-turvy?
Old 2011-12-17, 11:54   Link #74
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
It feels to me like people played up the expectations in their heads to the point that nothing would be good enough to meet their standards.

It's okay, I've seen this happen all the time.
Maybe, maybe not. I personally thought the episode was well done, as someone who never read the novels or the manga.

Perfect? Not by a long shot, but it isn't as terrible as other people make it out to be IMO.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
Old 2011-12-17, 18:01   Link #75
xDisturbedjeans
Likes2BlogUrAnimeNeeds

I thought the episode was great untill the last minute. kadoka realizing the yozora was sora from years ago in the middle of the classroom just seemed a bit awkward for me and it felt a bit rushed.
Old 2011-12-17, 18:26   Link #76
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Having the revelation on ep.11, I assume that for all intends and purposes the show is over, and we are just getting an extra episode broadcasted next. After watching Denpa and this, what can I say, another burned LN... character designs were adapted without inspiration, voice acting was good for the most part, but pacing and storytelling, as well as animation from bad to atrocious, which is a recurring problem with adaptions. Oh! and save for the animation, I am pretty sure that the B team of SHAFT or their former director and his team that worked in C3 and BakaTest could have done a way better job

PS: As someone pointed out already, there is no big mystery in Yozora sudden departure. Anyone having his regal pitch black straight long hair burned, and washed with a bucket of filthy water with remnants of burned gunpowder and paper would not stick around during a summer breeze, and feel miserable for the next few days. And that someone being the haughty Yozora multiply the intensity and duration by 10x
Old 2011-12-17, 20:03   Link #77
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinemarie View Post
Yes, her long hair only being a wig in an attempt to try to impress others - I could see that with Yozora. So with her wig being about to come off, she didn't want to be exposed.
I'd say that's one possible explanation.
Old 2011-12-17, 20:09   Link #78
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Okay, why do people keep on thinking that next episode is going to be some sort of recap? From the preview? Since when have the previews showed anything significant about the next episode? Did anyone ever think that the next episode will give some context to the final scene of this latest episode? This isn't Persona Trinity Soul.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2011-12-17, 20:13   Link #79
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Yes, her long hair only being a wig in an attempt to try to impress others - I could see that with Yozora. So with her wig being about to come off, she didn't want to be exposed.
I'd say that's one possible explanation.
'Possible' is the very last word I would use to describe that explanation.
Old 2011-12-17, 20:15   Link #80
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
Okay, why do people keep on thinking that next episode is going to be some sort of recap? From the preview?
No, because they burned the best the scene with the greatest potential in the show's worst episode. What remains is to wrap up what they failed to animate the last three months or hopefully fanservice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawnalyst View Post
Since when have the previews showed anything significant about the next episode? Did anyone ever think that the next episode will give some context to the final scene of this latest episode? This isn't Persona Trinity Soul.
No, it isn't, P:TS at least looked good, yet like this adaption/spin-off crippling characters and plot

Last edited by Malkuth; 2011-12-17 at 20:16. Reason: quoting
Closed Thread