AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Which order do you think is the best way to watch?
As aired on T.V. 254 53.93%
Chronological order 139 29.51%
"Ep 0" first, then Chronological order 58 12.31%
Random Order 12 2.55%
Some different order (please specify) 8 1.70%
Voters: 471. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-09-14, 20:34   Link #41
Theclow
"Removed by mod"

I vote for Aired by TV, I don't know I just like the order it's in I guess.
Old 2006-09-16, 12:11   Link #42
Pink-chan
世界の明日のために

That's why this anime is very interesting. I never thought I will fall in love with it when I just started watching. I'll recommend watching in Kyon's order and rewatch it in Haruhi's order. That'll give us full and complete experience.
Old 2006-09-16, 12:19   Link #43
Choki
I believe i can fly

i would watch it from eps 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,7,9,10,11,12,13,14
i really went when they suddenly jumped the Remote Island Syndrome eps...
other then that everything else is fun =D
Old 2006-09-16, 16:43   Link #44
X207
Gamyūsa

i find haruhi a bit weird because the random ep airing. but know the chronological order makes it much easier to follow
Old 2006-09-16, 23:31   Link #45
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

I've watched it in Kyon order twice, once in Haruhi order, and once in strict chronological order.

I've read that Tanigawa Nagaru (the author of the light novels) suggested to KyoAni that the episodes be done out of chronological order. Whether he did that or not, I think it was a great idea. It spreads the "exciting" events of Melancholy and the "wacky hijinks" of the later episodes through the entire run. It also adds a feeling of temporal befuddlement which probably matches the narrator's uneasiness with the events unfolding around him.

Haruhi order drags around Lone Island Syndrome, but events are explained in a more linear fashion. Strict chronological also drags around Lone Island, and loses the successive "OMG" revelations about Adventures of Mikuru-run that you get with Haruhi or Kyon order.

Someday In The Rain is not a great ending to the series, but since we all expect/hope/pray for (at least) a second season, it serves as a excellent interlude.

So I'd say Kyon (more exciting) or Haruhi (clearer) order, but Adventures of Mikuru-run first whatever you do.
Old 2006-09-17, 01:25   Link #46
Kikaifan
Blazing General

On the side: I watched Sexy Commando at the same time, and the parody-on-top-of-parody effect was really great. I don't know if it'll work for anybody else, but I tenatively recommend watching another highschool-comedy-comedy with it.
Old 2006-09-27, 14:32   Link #47
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

anybody mentioned about watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya from only the 6 episodes that tell the real story??
like watching episodes 2,3,5,10,13,and 14 and after watching those 6, you can just watch the rest of the other episodes in any order if you want....
but i would recommend this only after you haved watched the episodes in Kyon's order first.
I noticed this when i watched the series for a second time....since most of the other episodes were somewhat fillers to the real story behind Haruhi...
just my opinion though
Old 2006-09-27, 14:49   Link #48
Rin-Sama
Banned

Croniligical order would be the best. it maybe a chaotic series but that doesn't mean you should confuse the hell out of your audiance.
Old 2006-09-29, 10:54   Link #49
dKiWi
Devoted Haruhiist

Send a message via MSN to dKiWi
If I was recommending SHnY to a would-be Haruhiist, I wud definitely recommand watching it in episodic order. This is the way that brought abt much satisfaction for me as a newbie, and there is a purpose to doing it that way anyway.

Remember what Mikuru said abt time not being continuouous? That it is like frames in an anime? If u watch it in episodic order then chronological order, u will see that this process is actually a PROOF of this statement.

Note that when watching in episodic order, the bits of information scattered around from the future did not really interfere with the final impact episode 14 brought about. It wasnt very confusing at all. In fact, I believed that all of that happened in between The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi I-VI in some order instead of after, and this did not really spoil the experience at all.

Remember the basic fallacy to why authors dislike to write abt time travel: because it cant seem to work out properly. For example if u go back in time to kill your grandmother, u couldnt possibly have done it!

However most of this authors have not actually studied a deeper part of Physics, which is the science of Truth. They choose to instead use human logic, which is often wrong (yea I'm sure the world is flat). We need physics to show us the truth. I sincerely am believing Nagara Kanigawa did, even tho he is a graduate from law school. Probably did in in high school, or he is interested in physics, or HECK he took a physics module in university. Look at all the equations in the OP.. T_T

Since time isnt continuous, and is made up of discrete packets, then if u go back in time to kill your mother, then that situation is isolated. I believe that there will be a certain probability that

a. Your mother would be born b4 your grandmother was killed.
b. You would exist even if your grandmother did not, but the reason wud be blocked out of ppl's heads. And onli u wud be aware that u killed your grandmother.

Or something like that. I'm no fiction or physics expert, but I wud roughly describe it as this. As in any event that occurs in the past will not create too huge a time ripple in the future.

If u analyse the star-shaped mole incident and RE-watch (not watch) in chronological order, I think u'll get wad I mean.

Watching in episodic and then chronological is THE SHnY experience IMO, then mayb if u are REALLY bored and have TONS of time one day u might find yourself randomly clicking and who knows....

Last edited by dKiWi; 2006-09-29 at 11:11.
Old 2006-09-29, 13:40   Link #50
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the first time i went through the show i was very confused after episode 2. so the only thing i might change is to put a different episode after #2 that showed one of the characters developing their special talent, like maybe the missing computer person episode.
Old 2006-09-30, 13:40   Link #51
0TaKu0
Tesseract Enigma
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to 0TaKu0 Send a message via MSN to 0TaKu0
Lightbulb Xd

Os~ minasan,

I just started watching this anime and noticed its peculiar-ness in about 4 episodes, really the concept it self is so artistically amazing, its not a wonder this title is such a great hit.

The way I discovered its secret was, after watching the 4th episode and realizing it was no way related or connected to episode 3 I was all “WTF?”. So the curious person that I am I decided to scroll through every episode and fast forward to the end to watch the PREVIEW of the next episode to see if I can find a matching episode that comes after episode 3 and bam, episode 5 was the matching episode after 3. At first I thought this was very strange and thought maybe who ever uploaded the torrent miss-labeled the episodes.

That’s when I realized that during the end, every time Suzumiya Haruhi says the number of the next episode and Kyon scolds her and tells her its wrong, was not a joke. The truth was Suzumiya Haruhi’s order was the chronological one, while Kyon’s was the Aired order.

In any case after discovering this I came to a dilemma >_< I could not decide which way I wanted to watch the anime, a part of me wanted to watch the rest of the anime from Suzumiya Haruhi’s perspective (chronological) and the other part of me wanted to watch it in Kyon’s perspective because I did not want to destroy/miss out on its artistic-ness which makes it a great anime (Curse me for being some one who likes to enjoy Anime to its fullest and figuring out the secret of this anime so early on in the series, because now every time I watch it in the back of my mind I’m thinking this is not the correct order . . . ). So! Google to the rescue and it lead me to this form and this topic.

After reading this, I guess because I consider my self a true anime fan (would even go as far as to use the word otaku <- looked down upon in Japan) it’s the only right thing to do is to watch the anime the way it was aired, then watch it chronologically or I couldn’t call my self a true anime fan.

So I hope this helped those who came across this or a similar confliction. Ciao~ <3
Old 2006-09-30, 21:06   Link #52
0TaKu0
Tesseract Enigma
*Graphic Designer

Lightbulb Xd

@_@; Whoa double post ignore this or mod delete this onegai~

Last edited by 0TaKu0; 2006-09-30 at 21:18.
Old 2006-10-02, 05:39   Link #53
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

sorry if i would probably bring more confusion, but is it possible that "haruhi" order is NOT the chronological one?

you see, there are several weird stuff about the order given by haruhi.

List of the episodes + the next one, following haruhi order
Quote:
01) "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina - Episode 00" => go to episode 1 (loop)
02) "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I" => go to episode 2 (loop)
03) "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II" => go to episode 7
04) "The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya" => go to episode 3
05) "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya III" => go to episode 9
06) "Remote Island Syndrome (Part I)" => go to episode 8
07) "Mystérique Sign" => go to episode 10
08) "Remote Island Syndrome (Part II)" => go to episode 14
09) "Someday in the Rain" => go to episode 4
10) "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya IV" => go to episode 13
11) "The Day of Sagittarius" => go to episode 12
12) "Live Alive" => go to episode 5
13) "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya V" => go to episode 6
14) "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI" => none
the beginning is simple : since haruhi gives a loop directory, we have no other choice than ignoring that and following the logical order (kyon/aired one)...for the moment !

so it is for the start : 1 => 2 => 3

followed by : 03 => 07 => 10 => 13 => 06 => 08 => 14

as you probably know/guess, since the 14 is "officially" the last episode aired, there isn't any announcement for "next episode", so you have to follow the remaining episodes "end announcement clue" to determine their place in the head of the order (since the first 2 episode are kinda screwed)

which led to : 11 => 12 => 05 => 09 => 04 => 03

finally, we got this weird haruhi order : 01 // 02 // 11 => 12 => 05 => 09 => 04 => 03 => 08 => 10 => 13 => 06 => 08 => 14
compare with the chronological order : 02 => 03 => 05 => 10 => 13 => 14 => 04 => 07 => 06 => 08 => 01 => 12 => 11 => 09
*note : i didn't link the first and second episode with the others since there isn't any "haruhi" clue about their place, they could be either at the top or the end of the chain. now, indeed, we all know that the second episode should be the very first, plot/content wise, but that point aside, we can't determine with only haruhi commenting it.

this is kinda weird, and i'm really wondering how did KyoAni end to an order like this.
however, i'm perfectly sure that haruhi does not give the "chronological" order, since it certainly does not follow the logic order according the titles and the novels (previous episode to the 3rd is 4th instead of 2, etc etc)

did i do something wrong?

EDIT : if i'm correct, this means there are 3 orders :
1) kyon's/aired one (simply 1 => 14)
2) Chronological (requires some information from novels/titles and some brainstorming)
3) Haruhi's order (err... Haruhi-ic order ? (read joke/random/fool order, whatever) )

maybe it's just some silly haruhi's joke and shouldn't be taken seriously. or maybe it's a random order simply to try it and consider as real randomness possible (which is, indeed, not really common among animes that have a central plot)

Last edited by Klashikari; 2006-10-02 at 08:45.
Old 2006-10-02, 06:40   Link #54
dKiWi
Devoted Haruhiist

Send a message via MSN to dKiWi
hmmm this seems QUITE interesting...
Old 2006-10-02, 08:42   Link #55
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

i made my post clearer. sorry for my bad english, kinda sucks, i know ~~

anyway, i'm trying the "haruhi' order to determine if there is something behind or just some "haruhi-ic" randomness
Old 2006-10-04, 02:36   Link #56
0TaKu0
Tesseract Enigma
*Graphic Designer

Talking Mkay, This will Fix everything.

Ok, just finished watching the whole thing, and i wrote this up as i watched. This will fix any questions and give all answer's to the order and whatever Klashikari might want to read this.

Ok this contains alot of spoiler's so dont say i dident warn you, any way i tried my best to type it out to make it as understandable as possible, its 4 AM I'm very tired so excuse my spelling and grammer i dident really bother with it ^_^ if there any questions about this, or you have some contradiction to what i typed send me a PM or post here. Any way please click "Spoiler"

Spoiler:

and now its time for me to sleep, Ja~

Last edited by 0TaKu0; 2006-10-04 at 02:59.
Old 2006-10-04, 05:27   Link #57
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

i have read carefully your answers, but that wasn't really what i mean't ^^'
i'm aware of the common chronological order, and i ended also in a "chronological" order like this (without spoiler, but lots of brainstorming like you did, some details and facts which give obvious hints about which episode should be the next, and so on)

BUT, i was just pointing the fact that, saying "haruhi order" as the "chronological order" is plain incorrect, or not based on the same facts.
in my case, i was only focusing on haruhi hint of the next episode, which is clearly messed. (the 2 loops, no direct connection between episode 02 => 03 => 05 => 10 => 13 => 14, etc )

this isn't supposed to (mis)lead another "true logic order", but the meaning of my post was demonstrating that haruhi gives nothing but a chaotic order.

anyway, i'm aware that the true order is :
02 => 03 => 05 => 10 => 13 => 14 => 04 => 07 => 06 => 08 => 01 => 12 => 11 => 09

but like i stated above, haruhi gives an order like this :
01 // 02 // 11 => 12 => 05 => 09 => 04 => 03 => 08 => 10 => 13 => 06 => 08 => 14

so, we shouldn't mixing "haruhi order" and "chronological order", they ARE NOT THE SAME (although the topic used "aired" and "chronological" terms, lots of people still think that haruhi gives the chronological, which is false)

Last edited by Klashikari; 2006-10-04 at 05:55.
Old 2006-10-04, 12:23   Link #58
0TaKu0
Tesseract Enigma
*Graphic Designer

Hmmmm

MM hmm I see what you mean, your not totally wrong, but your not toally right either.

First you typed this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari
but like i stated above, haruhi gives an order like this :
01 // 02 // 11 => 12 => 05 => 09 => 04 => 03 => 08 => 10 => 13 => 06 => 08 => 14
Your wrong, thats not the order haruhi gives,

After watching the ends of the episodes this is what it really is:

Kyon Order:
1 (kyon ask's Haruhi what episode was this? and is ignored), 2, 3, 4, 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14

Haruhi Order:
(Haruhi doesnt say anthing about the aired/episode 1 she ignores kyon when kyon ask's her what episode this was and goes stright to commenting on aired/episode 2 SO the order looks like)

1, 2, 7, 3, 9, 8, 10, 14, 4, 13, 12, 5, 6. <(Please notice episode 11 is missing from the order she call's out because the Aired/episode 1 is actually episode 11, WHICH she MADE no comment on, and ignored kyon and its up to US to put the aired/episode 1 in the 11 slot)

So Klashikari, your correct about one thing the order that haruhi gives is infact not chronological, BUT only in a technicality.

The order that haruhi gives might not be chronological but theres NO DOUBT she is naming out which number is the Correct number for which episode. Ex: 2 = 1, 3 = 2 , 4 = 7 etc etc...

So in the end Haruhi named out the correct number for the correct episode so WE can put it in Chronological Order.

I can only come to the conclusion that there IS No Haruhi Order she was following the aired/kyon order but correcting kyon and naming out the correct number for the correct episode ^_______________^

Down there is the order that kyon and haruhi gives but in dialog format.

Spoiler:

^_^ None the less, one thing for sure. There is a definite possibility that there will be a season 2! Haruhi never learn'd about who she really is, and kyon and haruhi never expressed their feelings for eachother (not really).

Last edited by 0TaKu0; 2006-10-04 at 12:56.
Old 2006-10-04, 12:47   Link #59
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

mea culpa... sheesh, i was taking her numbers as the following one using the "aired numbers", i didn't expect haruhi telling the "next episode" its real number in fact. >_<

sounds like i was tricked right like kyon ~~
Old 2006-10-15, 03:15   Link #60
Sogoro
Desu

I believe the concept developer, artist, writer or w/e their called did a great job on making it in the way that it was. It brings up alot of questions that keeps people, like myself, who like bizarre styles to keep watching. I had a "wtf?" moment when I first started watching. But overall I liked how the anime was put together.
Closed Thread